PDA

View Full Version : Storage

TYSON HARTLEY
12-18-2002, 10:10 PM
HI HOw r u I have a question I trying to start a Lawn care service and im having one big problem, Zoning Im from the southeast side of chicago(Midwest) and Zoning is telling me I cant run a lawncare business from my residence I need A commerical area to store my lawn equipment gas,lawn mowers fertilizer etc... How would I go about storing my equipment. Do anyone have any suggestion. I have a garage but I cant store them there either and I cant use public stoage either.
:blob3:

Cutter1
12-18-2002, 11:56 PM
Look around and call around to bigger companies. A lot of times they rent out buildings and space they don't use. Whether its a nursery or landscaper. I know a lot of guys who rent out space to smaller Companies. Call around. Or kiss your neighbors butts and run it out of your house for a bit till you find a place. The zoning won't say anything unitl your neighbors complain. Just get a PO Box for your address.

fblandscape
12-19-2002, 12:27 AM
If you want to store your pesticides in your house, or your storage facility (wherever that may be) Should that structure burn down one day for whatever reason... all the debris from that structure would be considered HAZMAT and you would be charged accordingly for the clean-up. A small, approved, free standing pesticide storage container starts at from what I hear... $10,000.00

jeffyr
12-19-2002, 07:14 AM
Where I am from there is a zoning law as well. Since you are starting out and may not have a huge amount that needs storage I would back the trailer and truck into the driveway and keep your neighbors on your good side. Don't keep stinky grass in the truck to offend anyone and you can fly under the radar until the storage space becomes necessity.

As far as a cheap solution : I know of several guys that park in a gas station lot that charges $125 per month for truck and trailer parking. Just make sure you get an enclosed trailer big enought o keep everything in and lock it.

There are metal pesticide storage containers (small ones) that can be found for around $500. Just try not to buy more than you will need during an application and it will not be a big problem.

jeffyr

Gravely_Man
12-19-2002, 10:01 AM
Do what you want but if you are just starting out why would you even contemplate starting off on the wrong foot doing something illegal? Check into other solutions and avoid all of the headaches you can. Best of luck to you.

Gravely_Man

bubble boy
12-19-2002, 11:20 AM
why can't you use a public storage unit?

jeffyr
12-19-2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Gravely_Man
Do what you want but if you are just starting out why would you even contemplate starting off on the wrong foot doing something illegal? Check into other solutions and avoid all of the headaches you can. Best of luck to you.
Gravely_Man

In the town I live it seems every other driveway has some sort of commercial vehivle in it. The police look the other way unless there is a complaint.

I'm sure I may catch he11 for this comment, but I don't think it is possible to follow and comply to every rule and law that has been made and apply it to yourself. Choices must be made at some point as to what is important (to you and the authorities), whether it is as small as parking a commercial vehicle in your driveway or going 36mph in a 25mph zone. Technically the speeding could cause injury to others and is more serious, but everybody does it.

I think I may have been missread about my storage of pesticides. Comply to all rules when it comes to this subject. When I was referring to "not a big problem" storing pesticides I meant that the less you have left over after your applications the less you will have to store off season.

jeffyr

stslawncare
12-19-2002, 02:31 PM
you say you are just starting, and you are already planning on having pesticides? do you have your license yet? dont jump into the big pool till you can handle the small pool. you may want to consider starting out doing just lawn care, then landscaping, and in my opinion, pesticides last.

fblandscape
12-19-2002, 02:57 PM
As last I recall, lawn care includes pest management. Mowing only is just that, mowing only.

stslawncare
12-19-2002, 03:03 PM
i agree with you, however by the sounds of this he is not aware, or does not have a license yet, of course i could be wrong, if so i do apologize. my point is that if he is just starting, doesnt have a license yet, he should start slow and earn some money and experience doing the other aspects of lawn care, slowly get into pesticides, for example once he has his license start doing pesticide work, purchase what he is going to use, dont start storing etc. once he grows etc etc and has a commercial property shop he can start storing pesticides.

Cutter1
12-19-2002, 05:53 PM
Your not legally allowed to run a business out of a storage unit.

IBGreen
12-19-2002, 06:15 PM
Thank the Lord for the country!:angel:

bubble boy
12-20-2002, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Cutter1
Your not legally allowed to run a business out of a storage unit.

done here all the time. use the home address or PO box for mail.

pick up gear in the AM, drop off at night.

dougaustreim
12-20-2002, 12:39 PM
Running a business out of a storage shed is done all the time. Restrictions on that sort of thing would be state or local, probably a part of the zoning laws in most places. Any valid advice on that subject would have to be by someone local. I know of businesses that are in storage sheds and even have a mail box in front. As to having a postoffice box, that would be your own choice the USPS will deliver to any valid location. For almost 20 years, I had my business on a four acre site at the edge of town with two large buildings etc, but I had the mail delivered to my house. Since I did most of the bookeeping there at night, it was just a lot easier.

Doug Austreim
Austreim Landscaping.

rodfather
12-20-2002, 12:52 PM
Here in NJ where I am, none of the storage places will allow any equipment with fuel inside of them. You CAN store lawn and turf equipment...but only if the equipment has been drained.