PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Care

viper2921
12-18-2002, 09:17 PM
Hello Everyone,
I have a?'s I am starting my lawn care business here this spring.
I have a gravely pro 36 walk behind w/jungel wheels. trimmer, weedeater,and the little stuff. I can get accounts I am going to start off part time and work full time at night. I just would like any suggestions at all. especially from the ones that are already established. I can learn from you guys the best. any suggestions on pricing(how price for pesticide), do you include weedeating w/mowing and anything else

Thanks
David:blob2:
viper2921@yahoo.com:confused:

AztlanLC
12-18-2002, 09:55 PM
I think creative lawn care sounds better to me, you thinking about just lawn care? or are you going to offer Landscaping too?

Creative Landscapings and lawn care, just a suggestion.

With that kind of equipment I would recommend to star with small properties, be dependable, pricing would vary in all parts of the country, try to get an idea how much everybody else is charging, don't go lower than the rest you'll regret it the rest of your life. Advertise, flyers, door knobs, let people know what you do, Down where I live there's lots of new houses going on, I stop at couple of them to present myself and hand over a card just small talk no pressure let'em know my services, well 2 become my client right at the spot, 2 call me within 2 weeks out of 7, which is pretty good response rate, just remember this were new houses with not even a lawn yet, most people who just moves in don't know about the neighborghood and if you get there before someone else your chance to get the job is greater, same goes for houses for sale, also talk to other lcos, most of the beggining of the year I gave up cutomers, (far away, those that don't want to sign a yearly contract, those that want every other week, those that don't do any landscaping, etc.), not real nice tought but hey! you need something to star no?

Do professional job, Get insurance, don't sell yourself short, with any kind of equipment you can make your propeties look nice, just put your mind into.

To apply pesticide you need to get a license first, pass a test, special insurance, down here I usully get around $8-10 per 1000skf, with a minimum of $45 (pesticide)

lrose2
12-19-2002, 10:28 PM
Viper,

Did you get the PM I sent you?

Simone Lawn Service
12-20-2002, 12:26 AM
Viper, You are where I was almost five years ago. I had all the same questions about getting business, how much to charge, etc. and I can say that word of mouth has by far been my best advertising. About three months into it I was turning business away (granted I do this part time as you plan to) So don't sell yourself short when pricing lawn maintenance. You'll probably burn yourself a few times, but it's really the only way to learn. As far as fertilizing and weed control I started subbing it out this past year for the first time. For me it has been a very good decision. When you get into herbicides/pesticides it's a whole new ball game. I'm sure most states (if not all now) require a special license to do it commercially (and a considerable amount of time and $ goes into getting one- I checked into it) My guy is state licensed and does a lot better job than I could because he really knows what he is doing. He sends me a bill, then I bump it up a little bit and make some cash for basically mailing them a bill. My guy actually does my properties for almost the cost I had in materials (he buys a lot more, therefore gets it a lot cheaper) Like I said, for me this has been a very good decision and better looking lawns for my customers,
I wish you the best of luck next season!:)

Soupy
12-20-2002, 04:01 AM
Our name is Creative Lawn Care. I like it, But sometimes I think I could have done better picking a name. I used to go by Ken's Lawn Care, But a couple of years a Ken's Lawn Service emerged and I decided it was time to go with something other then my name. I tried Ken-Lawn for awhile but I started getting alot of Chem-lawn customers calling and complaining that I burnt their lawns :)

Soupy

ipm
12-20-2002, 06:12 AM
Before you pick a name make sure that it is not registered, SM, R, etc. If you are serious about this and are in it for the long haul, get it checked. You don't want to have to change, stationary, checking accts. etc. Good luck

ipm
12-20-2002, 06:15 AM
8-10 dollars per 1000:(We need to move up there. You can't get over 5 here. GA.

Andrew S
12-20-2002, 09:57 AM
Here's a few names you could consider

1. Neat & Trim

2. Ideal Cut

viper2921
12-20-2002, 05:24 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for all the reply and support I hope it keeps comming I do Like all the names so far. We just need some more so we can pick from the best one. Then we will do another poll.
:dizzy:

Nick
12-20-2002, 05:55 PM
use you last or full name followed by Lawn care or Lawn and Landscape Maintenance

AztlanLC
12-20-2002, 07:01 PM
JPM it's all relative I know places where they charge about 12-14 per 1000sqf. at the same time the cost of living is higher.

Know your market and charge accordingly.