PDA

View Full Version : TDR question?

1idejim
04-27-2012, 07:19 PM
i am doing some TDR testing and am curious what brands are being used ?

how many guys own a TDR?

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-27-2012, 07:47 PM
right here..

not sure the brand but its the one you told me to get..

1idejim
04-27-2012, 07:49 PM
right here..

not sure the brand but its the one you told me to get..

are you using it a lot and are you getting along with it?

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-27-2012, 07:50 PM
Ive been using it on my lunch break on large propteries where I know there is multiple VB's..

just testing..I need to go to radio shack and get longer leads..:)

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-27-2012, 07:51 PM
Ive been using it on my lunch break on large propteries where I know there is multiple VB's..

just testing..I need to go to radio shack and get longer leads..:)

Mike Leary
04-27-2012, 08:20 PM
propteries

Geez, after two posts, you'd think you'd get the spelling right. :dizzy:

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-27-2012, 08:28 PM
after more than too strong mixed drinks You'd be suprised im still awake after working 60 + this week...and I also have to work tomorrow..

Irrigation Contractor
04-28-2012, 01:09 AM
We just got a couple of the Snap Shot's from T3 Innovations. I spent a lot of time talking with Jason Chesla from T3 and he was extremely helpful.

Once we got the TDR, we have spent the last couple weeks learning to use it with help from T3 and the man himself....Jim R.

My techs need to get some detailed instructional help; whether is comes from classes, DVD or books.

I would really like to see a instructional website to view video rather than DVD. I would pay a subscription for this service, this way the information would constantly be updated. We have learned so far, to use the TDR to it's fullest, multiple troubleshooting steps are involved.

Watching the video and having the information needed on the same page / site would be fantastic. All my service techs have laptops for Hindsite, since they have 4G wireless they could access this information on the job site.

Also, being able to Skype or video chat with the instructor in difficult situations or for a class in our office with my staff would be ideal. Someone's years of knowledge is worth something to that individual or company, but if it is going to help our business paying for this is a no brainer to me.

I never would have even heard of a TDR if it were not for this site and all the help from Jim.

So thanks for all the help!

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-28-2012, 06:17 AM
Its funny I got wasted last friday night @ a bar and there was a verizion guy in there...

Next thing you know we are talking tdr for at least an hour and how he uses it to his benefit...

I say we all pitch in and purchase a tdr dipped in gold for jim.

Sprinkus
04-28-2012, 11:26 AM
Triplett 3271.
I just need to remember to take it with me.
Yesterday I was reminded of the movie "Groundhog Day", except for me it would have been called "Groundfault Day". Spent almost 4 hours locating and fixing nicked wires and bad splices. :cry:

ASI
04-29-2012, 09:16 PM
i am doing some TDR testing and am curious what brands are being used ?

how many guys own a TDR?

Triplett 3271
HP j2177a pair scanner
Both work well.

gar
06-26-2012, 09:33 AM
Hey Jim, I'm an irrigation tech here in the Tampa area. Recently a "cable guy" suggested for me to use a TDR to find the distance to a short or fault. I hadn't even heard of that device before. He thought it might work w/ valve wires. After googling a bit I found your thread where you showed an example using the Triplett. What kind of connection did you use since the TDR is made for coax. I see it has a BNC fitting but from there how did you adapt it to the alligator clips ? thanks, gar

1idejim
06-26-2012, 07:11 PM
Hey Jim, I'm an irrigation tech here in the Tampa area. Recently a "cable guy" suggested for me to use a TDR to find the distance to a short or fault. I hadn't even heard of that device before. He thought it might work w/ valve wires. After googling a bit I found your thread where you showed an example using the Triplett. What kind of connection did you use since the TDR is made for coax. I see it has a BNC fitting but from there how did you adapt it to the alligator clips ? thanks, gar

the triplett comes with a pair of 4" bnc x alligator clips. i had a pair made at the local CB shop but i gave them to either billy or gregg. the pair that i am using on my snapshot SSTDR are a pair that i also made for my triplett.

i sent the pair that came with the snapshot with the triplett i loaned to waterlogged. they're travelling in a circle :laugh:.

they're easy to make but you canbuy them for less than $20 online.

smart cable guy :)

gar
06-27-2012, 12:09 PM
Thanks Jim. I have the Triplett 3271. Indeed I did find the set of clips tucked in a pocket inside the case ! It was easy to miss. Thanks for mentioning that its included. The box and instructions don't even mention it.

I did a brief search and found the following link to buy a longer set if need be. I would think that I will need them.

http://www.testpath.com/Categories/BNC-to-Alligator-Clip-Coaxial-Cable-Assemblies-9501.htm

Is a 50 ohm set what I would need ? Instructions say the range is from 50+

gar

1idejim
06-27-2012, 02:46 PM
Thanks Jim. I have the Triplett 3271. Indeed I did find the set of clips tucked in a pocket inside the case ! It was easy to miss. Thanks for mentioning that its included. The box and instructions don't even mention it.

I did a brief search and found the following link to buy a longer set if need be. I would think that I will need them.

http://www.testpath.com/Categories/BNC-to-Alligator-Clip-Coaxial-Cable-Assemblies-9501.htm

gar
Posted via Mobile Device

1idejim
06-27-2012, 02:54 PM

gar

don't worry about it, once you get pm priv i can send you quite a bit more info or you can call me when you get started and i can walk you through a session
Posted via Mobile Device

gar
06-27-2012, 03:54 PM
excellent, thank you Jim....

In your opinion is the Triplett 3271 a good choice overall ?

gar

1idejim
06-27-2012, 08:13 PM
excellent, thank you Jim....

In your opinion is the Triplett 3271 a good choice overall ?

gar

my opinion of any product is subject to change when i find a better product. for a lot of years i have been using the CLT2 or the 3271 so that in itself says a lot.

i have been using the T-3 Snapshot for the last few months and finally sent my 3271 to a good friend in texas to try for a couple of months. i am pretty cautious when it comes to trying new products. first i never do a job without a backup locator in case the new one fails me. secondly once i feel confident with the new equipment i loan the backup to a friend so i have to push through with the new equipment.

the 3271 is prolly the best TDR that i have used that is below $200.

i haven't used the Psiber or a few of the others that are below $350.

i can say that the 3271 is well worth the money that you've spent and it's also worth the investment in time required to learn to use it.

answer me this, have you tried it out on any wiring yet?

Irrigation Contractor
06-27-2012, 11:30 PM
Hat Tip to Jim R.

Project X is coming UPS, so be ready for a bunch of phone calls from Adam! LOL

The T3 Snap Shot's we purchased a few months ago are being used weekly by the service techs and I would highly recommend serious irrigation service companies to consider purchasing one unit.

Not to get off track, but this is on topic or close to it. We have a Ditch Witch Wire Locator, Rigid R22, and 5 - 521's, but we are looking to begin moving towards bringing in new locators as they older units need replacing.

What model is everyone going with right now, or which one would you want if you could have anyone unit on the market?

1idejim
06-28-2012, 12:53 AM
Hat Tip to Jim R.

Project X is coming UPS, so be ready for a bunch of phone calls from Adam! LOL

The T3 Snap Shot's we purchased a few months ago are being used weekly by the service techs and I would highly recommend serious irrigation service companies to consider purchasing one unit.

Not to get off track, but this is on topic or close to it. We have a Ditch Witch Wire Locator, Rigid R22, and 5 - 521's, but we are looking to begin moving towards bringing in new locators as they older units need replacing.

What model is everyone going with right now, or which one would you want if you could have anyone unit on the market?

I like the metrotech 9800 xt sfl for various reasons but especially because you can trace wire paths and locate ground faults at the same time.
4.8 k fault freq
simul tone
ABFS & AIM
Current measurement.
digital display.

of course i am an Armada fan euen though i own more tempo / progressive / greenlee locators.

it's not that i don't like greenlees 521a so much as i feel that greenlee is such a huge company that deals with so many products that seem to be much more important than improving thcir irrigation locators.

the pro800 is the most sophisticated wire and valve locator made thanks to Bruce Nelson and his crews desire to produce the finest locator for the dollar. They listen to chumps like me and act on our needs and wants when designing a locator.

there is a need for both a compact valve locator and a high freq line locator and both greenlee and armada fill those needs in their inventories.

i would much rather have a digital LCD readout with current recognition for fault finding so we are back to the metrotech 9800 xt sfl.
i would like to take the rigid seek tech Sprinkus has for a test drive though.
Posted via Mobile Device

gar
06-28-2012, 05:05 AM
Jim,

No, I haven't used it yet b/c it just arrived. I am trying to get up and running w/ it. I have been using the 521 Locator and look forward to using this new tool.....

1idejim
06-28-2012, 08:28 AM
Jim,

No, I haven't used it yet b/c it just arrived. I am trying to get up and running w/ it. I have been using the 521 Locator and look forward to using this new tool.....

measure your extension cords by attaching to the male prongs and adjvsting the VOP to match the length. try a few and get used to making good connections. if you have a system at home trace the wire path and measure the distance to all valves. since the path has been traced and flagged you can pace the distance to the values for estimating purposes.

pm me when you can and i will send you more info
Posted via Mobile Device

gar
06-28-2012, 01:18 PM
Jim, I don't have your email. I can only pm you after so many posts, I guess. Obviously, I am new to this site.

1idejim
06-28-2012, 04:56 PM
Jim, I don't have your email. I can only pm you after so many posts, I guess. Obviously, I am new to this site.

5 more posts or leave your contact info as a visitor to my page.

left click my user name and go to view profile, leave your email or phone number and i'll contact you :)

gar
06-28-2012, 08:03 PM
I will have to experiment a bit w/ the 3271 and I will report back.

thanks

1idejim
06-28-2012, 09:46 PM
I will have to experiment a bit w/ the 3271 and I will report back.

thanks

use an extension cord to measure the VOP by raising or lowering the VOP till the correct length of the cord is displayed.

do the same with romex and 14 ga and/or multi strand irrigation wire, i have found that 50 -55% usually gets me in the ballpark.

with dog fence you can measure the loop by connecting the leads to opposite ends.

gar
06-29-2012, 12:00 PM
great idea, will try it..... been so busy just have to make the time.

gar
08-20-2012, 10:31 AM
Jim, Well, I finally got around to do a test w/ the 3271. I found that 14awg worked accurately set at 85% and 18awg worked accurately set at 65%.... I wonder if each 3271 unit out there might be a little different from each other, meaning that each has to be calibrated. Maybe there isn't a "one size fits all" setting. I recall you saying you found 14awg worked well set at 50-55%. Maybe each user has to find own sweet spot for his unit....

for what its worth....

1idejim
08-20-2012, 03:17 PM
Jim, Well, I finally got around to do a test w/ the 3271. I found that 14awg worked accurately set at 85% and 18awg worked accurately set at 65%.... I wonder if each 3271 unit out there might be a little different from each other, meaning that each has to be calibrated. Maybe there isn't a "one size fits all" setting. I recall you saying you found 14awg worked well set at 50-55%. Maybe each user has to find own sweet spot for his unit....

for what its worth....

i loaned a triplett to a good friend in Texas a while back and he said that something like 18% was working in his area.

the units aren't different, the conditions are.

i think the reason that i am comfortable at 50 - 55% is that i am looking for something else and not concerned with accurate distances due to the way that i perform my locating.

i was talking with a fellow in Idaho last week, he was using a snapshot and having some funky findings, he called and we talked for about 30 mins. i guess he's doing OK finding faults on 3 ph.480vlts,

he chases faults all day every day. sweet gig :)

2 more posts and pm me, we can talk and maybe learn something from one another.:waving:

gar
08-20-2012, 03:50 PM
Well, I guess it sounds like users get different readings after all.... hmmm electricity is a funny element.

gar
08-20-2012, 04:06 PM
For the record, I don't know that much about electricity, just basics that's all.... but I am eager to learn. I have been learning a bit on the job. I can see how electricity is much like irrigation (wire size = pipe size) ,(voltage= psi), etc.

1idejim
08-20-2012, 04:10 PM
For the record, I don't know that much about electricity, just basics that's all.... but I am eager to learn. I have been learning a bit on the job. I can see how electricity is much like irrigation (wire size = pipe size) ,(voltage= psi), etc.

post once more, that should clear you for a pm :)

gar
08-20-2012, 04:18 PM
ok, here goes

1idejim
08-20-2012, 04:47 PM
ok, here goes

pm sent:).....

Irrigation Contractor
08-20-2012, 10:18 PM
Jim, we ran out of time today and Adam is going to call you tomorrow.

1idejim
08-20-2012, 10:25 PM
Jim, we ran out of time today and Adam is going to call you tomorrow.

Run faster. Be looking forward to the call.
btw, your secretary has a beautiful voice.
Posted via Mobile Device