PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Tires

rungreen
04-28-2012, 09:16 AM
Need four new 15" tires for trailer. Who makes something that will last, open to all brands.

Mowingman
04-28-2012, 05:33 PM
I have used only "Carlisle" trailer tires for over 20 years. From my experience, they last longer than any other trailer tire you can get.

PlantscapeSolutions
04-29-2012, 01:29 AM
Get the better Carlisle tires. You want tires that are rated for at least 65 psi. Like all tire companies Carlisle has it's low end B rated tires as well as C's and D's.

GravelyGuy
04-29-2012, 10:49 AM
They all suck. Period... Pathetic that nobody can produce one that last.

R & R Yard Designs
04-29-2012, 11:39 AM
Look in to the otr brand they last a long time. I have them on a 12k enclosed for 3 years now.
Posted via Mobile Device

knox gsl
04-29-2012, 01:35 PM
From what I've found most of them are designed to fail. Get a radial that is rated for more than its intended for.
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
04-29-2012, 01:43 PM
Carlisle radials from Discount Tire with Road Hazard. Has paid off twice so far.

Mowingman
04-29-2012, 02:12 PM
I use the Carlisle radials as well. I used to buy the Carlisle bias ply tires. however, as my trailers got bigger, and the loads heavier, I changed to the radials. Well worth the fairly small difference in price

Duekster
04-29-2012, 02:59 PM
I use the Carlisle radials as well. I used to buy the Carlisle bias ply tires. however, as my trailers got bigger, and the loads heavier, I changed to the radials. Well worth the fairly small difference in price

Like $10 or something.

knox gsl
04-29-2012, 05:12 PM
Like $10 or something.

More than that, $25 to $30 per tire but you could double the life of the tire and the savings is in not having to pay to mount and balance tires as often. if you get an average of 6000 miles out of a set of bias plys at a cost of $75/tire installed then getting 10000 miles ot of a $100/tire set would in the long term would be cheaper.

fastbs
04-30-2012, 11:18 AM
For what it's worth I got a new trailer a few weeks ago that came with new Carlisle bias plys. After having them balanced cause they road like crap the tire guy said a couple of them just weren't round. Called Carlisle and they got me fixed up pretty quick.

Just due to the customer service, if these last well I'll get another set of Carlisles.

justanotherlawnguy
05-01-2012, 10:46 PM
All 15" trailer tires are garbage, at least on drop axle enclosed trailers.
16" dump tires are another story. Straight axles seem to have far less problems...
Posted via Mobile Device

TurfsUpLawns
05-15-2012, 02:36 PM
I bought a tire last summer and it is going to need replacing soon, I agree all trailer tires suck, and I bought the other 3 at the beginning of this season.

clydebusa
05-15-2012, 05:37 PM
I buy 6 ply car tires, seem to last longer than any trailer tire. Big trailers I do the same thing with 8 and 10 ply truck tires.

Duekster
05-15-2012, 06:16 PM
I buy 6 ply car tires, seem to last longer than any trailer tire. Big trailers I do the same thing with 8 and 10 ply truck tires.

I have always heard that Car Tire will not hold up to the type of use they get on a trailer. Not sure Discount tire would honor the road hazard either.

clydebusa
05-18-2012, 07:53 AM
I have always heard that Car Tire will not hold up to the type of use they get on a trailer. Not sure Discount tire would honor the road hazard either.

Cousin works at Good Year in OKC. So With that this is his expert opinion, advantages of trailer tires is on the tandems the back axle moves so much during slow sharp turns that it scrubs the tires. Trailer tires are built for this with stronger sides and run more air. The trailer tires are designed with more uv protection so they can set for years and break down less. Where as car tires don't.

So if any of these are important than yes a trailer tire is needed. I have 6 ply car tires on all lawn equipment trailers. Which I have 2 14' and 18' trailers. I would say I don't over load these due to they have lawn equipment on them. The 20' PJ I run 10 ply truck tires since it can get overloaded with construction material. I do buy all my tires from one location and they put road hazzard on them even though they are on trailers. Which last week it was put to the test due to running over a piece of 1 1/2" angle, blew the tire and the tire was about 3 months old.

Darryl G
05-18-2012, 08:41 AM
I also used to use the bias ply and switched to the Carlisle Radial Trail and they've held up well. I never seem to get the mileage out of trailer tires that I'd like and talked to my tire dealer about it. He says it's because of how they scour the pavement when turning....makes sense to me.

Duekster
05-18-2012, 08:46 AM
I also used to use the bias ply and switched to the Carlisle Radial Trail and they've held up well. I never seem to get the mileage out of trailer tires that I'd like and talked to my tire dealer about it. He says it's because of how they scour the pavement when turning....makes sense to me.

Particularly the rear set on a dual axel.

PonyExpress94
05-18-2012, 11:05 PM
Well like anything else you get what you pay for. I can't understand the logic behind using bias ply tires...they sucked on cars when they used them and they still suck compared to radials. They get way too hot even at the right pressures and they just aren't reliable.

I've run a 10k 6x10 dump trailer and a 10k hydraulic tilt 18' flat deck equipment trailer for 10+ years each and only lost one tire, the result of a sharp piece of steel that sliced the sidewall. Both trailers run Goodyear Marathon Radials 225/75/15 Load Range D. Pressures are checked weekly and the trailers are even overloaded time to time.

Carlisle radial tires are good too, my brother has a trailer with them and they have been reliable as well.

Duekster
05-19-2012, 06:10 AM
Well like anything else you get what you pay for. I can't understand the logic behind using bias ply tires...they sucked on cars when they used them and they still suck compared to radials. They get way too hot even at the right pressures and they just aren't reliable.

I've run a 10k 6x10 dump trailer and a 10k hydraulic tilt 18' flat deck equipment trailer for 10+ years each and only lost one tire, the result of a sharp piece of steel that sliced the sidewall. Both trailers run Goodyear Marathon Radials 225/75/15 Load Range D. Pressures are checked weekly and the trailers are even overloaded time to time.

Carlisle radial tires are good too, my brother has a trailer with them and they have been reliable as well.

I am a Michelin Man myself. Just never thought of putting them on a trailer.