PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know this transformer

Zohan
04-28-2012, 01:22 PM
Does anyone know this transformer. I need to know if possible to add timer, there is no plug anywhere for either AC or photocell...

http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r543/zohan9000/1.jpg

S&MLL
04-28-2012, 11:00 PM
Its hardwired. Your not going to get a module to fit in that box. Just turn in back into an outlet and use a timer. Or hardwire an intermatic timer unit inline.

Zohan
04-29-2012, 02:48 AM
Its hardwired. Your not going to get a module to fit in that box. Just turn in back into an outlet and use a timer. Or hardwire an intermatic timer unit inline.

?
if it matters there are 4 of these and they are controlled by wall switches in the house, timers in garage

S&MLL
04-29-2012, 10:21 AM
I would be more concerned about the potting mix leaking. Unless it dripped om that yellow wire before it left the factory
Posted via Mobile Device

David Gretzmier
04-29-2012, 03:37 PM
The grey conduit exiting the trans on right side is probably going to a j box, an LB or to a sub panel, and you could get a master electrician to install a photocell on the j box or sub panel. They are not too expensive, 10-20 bucks and probably 80-120 labor to an electrician for service call and 30 minutes of their time. an outdoor digital timer box by intermatic will probably cost around 250 for labor and parts from most electricians. tork you could add 100 bucks to that. with a covered area or protected from rain or direct sunlight, I have used the smaller $20 digital timers that fit in a single gang metal outdoor outlet box and in use bubble cover, but they are not really made for outdoor use.

If you already have timers, why do you need more?

David Gretzmier
04-29-2012, 03:43 PM
and I really don't want to get into the wiring. it looks to me like the LV cables are wired in a loop. instead of each going to the common it looks like each LV cable threads back to the next cable.

Zohan
04-29-2012, 04:50 PM
This is the existing system on the front main part of home. There are 4 of these trans, 2 in garage and 2 somewhere else, i didnt go look where. But all of them are controlled by switches to turn on/off lighting...I dont know if they'd be line or low voltage switches, I dont have much experiance with those.
The homeowner asked me as an afterthought if when I was finished installing the new system (rest of property) that I could install timers for those instead of having to turn on/off switches. Just wondering if possible and if thats the best way to do it or is it wise to install new transformers?
Keep in mind I am not a licensed line voltage electrician, only low voltage.
Thanks for the help...Priceless :)

RLI Electric
04-29-2012, 09:40 PM
Kind of looks like a Seagull or Kichler interior transformer. Sort of like you would use for low voltage cove lighting or monorail track. Should be simple, like David said, get a licensed electrician to wire in a timer switch in place of the existing toggle switches and you are in business.
I would be interested if it says on the transformer "for interior use only" though.

David Gretzmier
04-29-2012, 10:55 PM
mentioned above, If you have line voltage toggle switches then it is no big deal to have an electrician install one timer per switche panel location. those decor sized timers fit in a switch panel and cost about 20 bucks at home depot or Lowes. some for a few dollars more have the ability to be astrological, but a bit harder to program.

Zohan
04-30-2012, 12:32 AM
Ok, thanks

LLC RI
04-30-2012, 09:27 AM
Hi .

Just my two cents..

I agree with the previous poster... if there are already wall switches that control these transformers, simple fix is to have installed in wall switch timers. These are usually digital and will also allow your client the added benefit of overriding as desired. For example, if they have a party and it runs later than the timer is set, they simply press the switch on the timer and turn the lights back on.

One thing to make sure of is that the timer you get is rated for inductive load.

Good Luck

George

Zohan
04-30-2012, 09:30 AM
Thanks, I think that's what I will recommend