PDA

View Full Version : Great Dane 23 hp Surfer Floating or 18 hp fixed?

Tom023
12-19-2002, 01:35 AM
A new Great Dane Surfer- 2000 model year (FIXED DECK 52''), 18hp Briggs is on closeout at my dealer, for about $4000

They also have a SUPER sufer (FLOATING DECK 52'') 23 hp machine for about $5000.

The salesman has put pressure on me to make my choice by the first of the year or "someone else is buying them. " Does anyone have an opinion on whether the extra $1000 for the floating deck and additional 5 hp is worth it? :confused: I am mowing in a suburban area with mostly flat, small lawns. This will be my first year with a hydro machine with this type of price tag, and i'd obviously rather spend the extra 1K if i'm going to profit off it with enough to get my money's worth. (of course less hassles and less to worry about applies here)

Also- can anyone compare thier experiences with a TRAK-VAK to a QUICK-VAK??- especially on GD surfers?

I know this is a broad question, but I'm fairly new to this, so any info -general or specific- would be helpful. About 10 days left to make my decision.

P.S. I've read every post that has to do with the pros and cons of floating/ fixed, and all of the threads having to do with Great Danes and the engine combinations, etc.- doesn't seem to be much info that helps me with this question?

*thanks in advance*

LAWNGODFATHER
12-19-2002, 02:06 AM
Let me tell it to you like this...

the extra 5hp is worth the $1000 alone. You will make that back up in productivity.

strickdad
12-19-2002, 02:44 AM
i agree with lgf, the extra power plus the floating deck is worth the extra money. also if memory serves me, that 18hp briggs is a dog. but either way you are getting a good price. btw we have 4 danes but no surfers..

KLMlawn
12-19-2002, 03:15 AM
Get a REAL machine .... Buy a Wright Stander !!! :D

Grass Master
12-19-2002, 08:30 AM
Either unit will serve you well.

We have had both the Surfers and the Super Surfers. The Super Surfer sounds like a better deal with the much more powerful, better engine.

Good luck...you'll love the machine!

captdevo
12-19-2002, 08:37 AM
jump on the Super Surfer!!! you won't be sorry.

floating deck alone is worth the $1000, try adjusting fixed deck heights....what a PITA!!!

Here's the REAL MACHINE!!!

http://www.rpm-co.com/images/main_supersurfer.jpg

Tidycut
12-19-2002, 11:03 AM
Tom,

If you haven't made up your mind yet, I'll give my 2 cents worth.

Buy the 52" floating deck Super Surfer. At 5k it's a good deal, heck I priced a 48'' at 6200 this past summer. IMO, a 23HP Kawasaki is much better than a 18HP Briggs and having an easy height of cut adjustment is a big plus too. That's well worth a 1k difference.

Rick

lawncare3
12-19-2002, 01:10 PM
get the floating deck because there are too many winey customers that want you to raise and lower the decks what an annoyance!
It also brings a lot of customers that want the lawn short or tall.
GOOD LUCK!

GraZHopA
12-19-2002, 09:54 PM
Based upon some past research, the adjustable deck from the majority of the manufacturers will "usually" cost atleast $1000 more. Look at it this way; you get more power, a better engine, easy adjustment on your cutting height and probably a better cut. If you have narrowed your decision to those two options, it appears that the rest is a "no brainer". I hope this helps. :)

Lawn Specialties
12-19-2002, 11:22 PM
Spend the extra grand. You get a floating deck and a real engine.