PDA

View Full Version : Husqvarna Commercial Mowers: Sellable?

lancetaylor
12-19-2002, 09:43 AM
I'm in the process of opening up a new lawncare dealership and am considering several different manufacturers of commercial ZTR & Walk-Behind mowers.

I'll more than likely go with Husqvarna for their 2-cycle products since every street corner has a Stihl dealer. They (Husqvarna) have re-designed their commercial mower line and have gave me some sample pricing that should blowout everyone else.

I'll more than likely sell Grasshopper, as we have a weak dealer in town and they have a very strong customer base so I should pickup alot of their service work but need to sell another line of ZTR & Walk-Behinds. I've spoke with Scag, Dixie Chopper, Hustler, Ferris, and Great Dane as none of them are represented in our area.

I'd like to get the commercial contractors opinions of their products, especially those that have looked at the new design.

Will Husqvarna sell?

Thanks
Lance

cajuncutter
12-19-2002, 10:04 AM
Personally I do not like it. I would go for something like RedMax since everyone and their brother seems to deal Shin, at least that is what it seems like around here. Back in the day when I was "poor boying it" I used various inexpensive products such as Husky Homelite WEEDEATER AKA Poulan, which by the way some of that stuff you talk of is produced by Poulan if I am not mistaken. I depends what type of market you are out to target. I suggest if you are going for commercial guys rather than homeowners go for a better line.

Lawn Dog2001
12-19-2002, 10:14 AM
We have a Husky dealer in our area. He deals in Huskys line of commercial turf equipment. I know just about every lawn contractor in my area and I have never seen a Husky ZTR or WB in theyre trailers. If you are going to deal in Huskys you should definately carry another brand of turf equip(Exmark,Toro,Ferris,Gravely, etc). Getting someone to switch from Exmark to Husky might be a tough sell.

As for trimmers, how about Echo. You will get some service work from those who buy at Home Depot and dont have dealer support. Plus they are a top notch product.

lancetaylor
12-19-2002, 10:20 AM
I know Husqvarna has several models of trimmers, blowers and chainsaws they sell to Lowe's which are NOT commercial grade and very well could be made by Poulan, which I would not sell.

Their trimmers and chainsaws seem to get a pretty good rap on most forums. I spoke with a Husky dealer in a non-competing town and he has several contractors going into their 3rd season with Husky trimmers. He said he'll doubt they'll make it all the way through the season but still better than the Echo's he used to sell which didn't last a full season.

RedMax is already sold by another dealer in town and we have a weak Shindiawa dealer and I've considered them but this would pretty much leave me without a chainsaw line.

LCT

Randy J
12-19-2002, 10:32 AM
From everything I've read, Husky makes a pretty good product. I know their chainsaws are top notch (I just ordered a customized 372XP). And everything I've ever read about their mowers has been good. As long as you provide good service I don't think you'd have a single problem
Is your shop open yet? I'll be in St Joe next week for the holidays.

Randy

cajuncutter
12-19-2002, 10:33 AM
Shin makes saws might be pricey but they got them

lancetaylor
12-19-2002, 10:55 AM
They've got a bad rap in our area and even their rep said they won't sell. At least he's honest.

LCT

P&J Lawncare
12-19-2002, 11:23 AM
Redmax and echo

eslawns
12-19-2002, 12:16 PM
I know Husqvarna has several models of trimmers, blowers and chainsaws they sell to Lowe's which are NOT commercial grade and very well could be made by Poulan, which I would not sell.

That's not right. The Husky line carried in Lowe's is most definitely their commercial line, and it is not the same as the Poulan/Weedeater line. The trimmers are 322L and 325L and the variations of them. They are light, powerful, durable and better than anything else I've ever used, and I am hard on string trimmers because they are fairly cheap.

IMO, the only product Husky makes that I don't like is the BP blower. I don't like the throttle on the tube/pistol grip. IMO, the Echo and Redmax are the way to go. A friend of mine has the Husky and he bought a Poulan Pro from a homeowner who said it was too heavy for $50. They are both very good blowers, I just have a personal preference.

Farmboy
12-19-2002, 12:19 PM
The lowes store that I have been to carried the husky 136 141 350 55 saws and the 322 and 325 trimmers also the 140b blower I do not remember the mowers they had them but I was not really interested in them.

Why not take a look at Jonsered and maybe Dolmar! There is also green machine if they are still available.

J&R
12-19-2002, 03:02 PM
I taked a dealer into taking on exmark he has snapper, husty, bob cat he got exark last year he sell 90% exmark 10% SNAPPER, BOB CAT no husky mowers droped them

Gravely_Man
12-19-2002, 03:31 PM
I really like the Husqvarna line of chainsaws. I do some tree work and sell firewood and have been very pleased with their saws. I am however not a huge fan of their weed eaters or blowers.

Gravley_Man

mowerman90
12-19-2002, 04:34 PM
I run a Husky 52 ZTR and a 325L Trimmer. Both products are top notch and have given me great service. Their BP Blowers are made by Kawasaki (I have a Kawi 700B) and they are great. Now the bad part. There's some shakeup in the upper ranks of management at Husky and their parts delivery time has suffered because of it. They'll have a long way to go to catch up with Exmarks lead in the parts in 24hrs department.

BOTURF
12-19-2002, 05:20 PM
IMHO i would really look hard at echo i am afull time solo lco and have run the same echo trimmers and blowers for 3 years with absoulutly no problems what so ever. I have 3 trimmers 2 2400 and a 2601 plus i have a handheld echo blower plus a back pack blower and a echo stick edger and also have a echo chainsaw. All perform without flaw .You might have 2 lines to sell and i would look at redmax too . As far as walkbehinds go you might look at exmark and scag as i dont think they can be beat .My dealer only sells one line of 21 inch mowers which is honda and they cant be beat either , but on the other hand he services all major brands that people bring in .Dealer support and service are of the upmost importance . When a commercial guy brings his mower in he is losing money , if it aint cutting grass hes losing dollars every minute hes down . My dealer will drop some things hes doing and fix mine mower when it still on trailer or bring it right in shop and fix it while iam waiting , hes parts inventory is quite large and has just about anything you need in stock, this is just my 2 cents worth tho you might be more expensive but like i said dealer service and support to me is everything !!!!

Richard Martin
12-19-2002, 06:23 PM
We have a local Husky dealer that got 8 ZTRs at the beginning of the season. He still has 4 of them and can't give them away.

Sam-Ohio
12-19-2002, 08:56 PM
We were a Husqvarna dealer several years ago - and we finally had to terminate the line.

Have you checked CLOSELY what the dealer contract says that they will pay you to do their warranty work ? What's the allowed mark up on warranty parts ? What's the allowed labor rate ?
What's the waranty flat rate time table ?
You better look darned close at all the policies that this company has - cause they are absolutly the worst "for business practices" that we have ever had to deal with !

Further more their "Z" mower is just a Yazoo/Kees with orange paint - nothing bad, but then again nothing special. What features do they have that are outstanding ? Name one ! So all you will ever have to sell them with is low price ! The product simply doesn't have anything about it to let you command a higher price !

They sell their trimmers and saws at Lowes - and
Lowes has all their warranty work done by the nearest Cub Cadet or White dealer - so there will be another dealer near you that has full access to all the Husky parts system , and will be quit willing to do the service work for YOUR CUSTOMERS !

Sears also sells the Husky and AYP lawn tractor line - so you will have even more competition, and when Sears starts to dump those AYP/ Husky lawn tractors - how are you going to be able to sell anything ?

Since all the Husky chain saws up to 3 cu inch engine are just Poulan saws painted orange not green, it means that not just Lowes will be your competitor. Sears Craftsman saws are the same unit ! Walmart and Tractor Supply Co. will have your saws in green.

You say that there are too many Stihl dealers near you - How many box stores have Stihl ?

I think you are surrounded by Husqvarna and just don't realize it !

WREBELMACHINE
12-20-2002, 07:00 PM
I use redmax and robin trimmers and Jonsered chainsaws. Tried out some other stuff but I like these three lines in hand held equipment.

The Husky mower is in my opinion is a homeowner/commercial machine. In other words they are a machine trying to fit both the homeowner and commercial guy similar to what John Deere has done.

IBGreen
12-20-2002, 07:25 PM
As goofball as this sounds, its true. I know of people who have bought MAGIC DIRT! If people will buy majic dirt off of a infomercial anything is sellable.