PDA

View Full Version : Mulching with SCAG Turf Tiger

TaylorLawn
12-19-2002, 01:07 PM
I have been using SCAG Turf Tigers for about a year and a half, I purchased the mulching system, and have tried several different blade types. I have to be honest, I like the cut I get with the scags, but the mulching capability has been less than pleasing, for some reason I get a better mulching process with medium lift bagging blades than I do with the gator style or the normal mulching blades???? I dont really understand....Anyway, if any of you have had a productive experience using the mulching system I would appreciate your advice.

Im also considering purchasing the triple bag system for one of them, no need for alternate engine, runs straight from PTO power, any experiences available on this system as well??????
The SCAGS have 23 hp Command Kohlers.......

Markus
12-19-2002, 02:15 PM
Taylorlawn are u useing the Scag gator style mluching blades? Are you getting any blowout? And are you sure you have the kit on right, I have had really good luck mulching useing the scag mulching blades on top and high lifts on bottom. You might try the doubles and see how they work for you, jut remove one 1/4" spacer and the height is the same. Mine turns them leafs into almost dust......Marks Mowing Service Oh im mulching with a 52" Walkbehind with the advantage deck.

TaylorLawn
12-19-2002, 03:24 PM
Markus,

I am using just the gators, and not using doubles, Im afraid that I do not have any experience using doubles, or exactly how that procedure works, any info I can attain as to how to set that up? I do not have a variety of spacers, just the large ones that came with the mowers, and I am unfamiliar with that operation, but willing to learn new things all the time...I guess I dont want to try something without a guide or handbook or something...any advice?

Mark
12-19-2002, 06:53 PM
TaylorLawn youll will find all the imfo on this just by doing a serch on double/blades. Mine came with the 1" single spacers also,just go buy some 1/4" ones to do this. First put your gator on then 5/8" washer,then put your other blade on then 3 1/4" spcers start to tighten them and put the blades in the + pattern and tighten all the way, then your ready to mulch or cut some serious grass and leafs......Marks Mowing Servcice

TaylorLawn
12-19-2002, 08:20 PM
Thanks for your help.....Ill give it a try!

Oliver1850
12-19-2002, 09:45 PM
Taylorlawn,

What type of problems are you having, (cut qaulity, blowout, etc.)?

I run a 52" TigerCub with advantage deck, full mulching kit and the stock Eliminator blades. I will never side discharge or bag again. Of course there are pros and cons for each method, ultimately it depends on you and the terrain.

This was the first fall I didn't bag one yard. I mulched everything. The Spring cut takes a little more patience, and you have to clean the deck out more regular.

Do not run doubles with the mulch kit. You will get way too much air under the deck and experience blow-out. In addition, you will have to change the spacers or the blade tips will hit the baffles.

Gators are for side discharge only. The Scag Marbain Eliminator blades are true mulching blades.

I hope this helps.

Shady Brook
12-20-2002, 01:49 AM
I got a mulch kit for my 52 Tiger Cub this fall, and was quite pleased with how it performed with light to moderate leaf cover. This is while there was some grass growth.

As the growth tapered off, the mulching ability declined, or at least the ability to hide the leaves in the turf dropped off.

With real heavy leaf drop, the kit could not leave a quality product in my opinion.

On grass, light growth, or thin lawns it did fine, just messy on concrete areas.

On anything resembling thick grass it left a thick residue of grass ground up on the surface. Not acceptable even if I ran over it a hundred times. Terrible messy on Concrete areas.

I had to find out for myself if a good mulch kit could do magic, and it is as well a designed kit as I have seen, and I learned it will not work in my region, with most of the lawns I service.

I think with the drive shaft driven Tiger, you will likely experiece results that are not even as good as mine due to the extra drag.

Jay

TaylorLawn
12-20-2002, 07:40 AM
I have found in my area that the Tiger gives me a nice cut when ground conditions are perfect....but as everyone knows sometimes we must mow in semi soggy conditions and so forth, I sometimes jump on the John Deeres when this happens, as it is today, rained last night, sun will come up, but it will not completely dry today, trying to tell customers this is like pulling teeth sometimes, especially around a holiday.....

Usually when I mulch with the scags on residentials, I take a John Deere with the bagger and have one of the guys drive around and clean it up, its the only way I can truly make it look nice, but it does add time....but quality is the key in this business......so I take that extra time.....never the less, I appreciate your comments, and any more suggestions with the SCAGS would be great.

Oliver, Im a bit confused on the side discharge with the gators??? I was under the impression that these were strictly mulching blades??? I will admit that I sometimes take the side plate off and leave the baffles on, I have never tried the eliminators, but now that I know they exist I will definately seek for them...Thanks, Eric.

Oliver1850
12-20-2002, 10:58 AM
Taylorlawn,

Next time you stop by your dealer, ask to compare the Gators with the Eliminators. The gator blade cutting edge is straight or flat. The Scag Eliminators are tiered, or have two levels. I may not be explaining well, but your dealer should be able to show you.
I am a little confused as to why you remove the discharge plate but leave the rest of the baffles on. By removing the plate, you are only relieving pressure on the one chamber. I would think this would create an inbalance.
Moisture is the biggest problem us mulchers encounter. It also can mean the difference in being efficient. In the Spring there are allot of lawns I cut twice because I can't keep up with the growth and overwhelm the deck. But once summer hits going into fall, mulching is awesome. I never have to blow drives and walkways off. In addition, I am never concerned about the direction of discharge.
In the South, your conditions are entirely different than the midwest. You will have to try and see what works best. I've tried bagging, double side discharge and mulching. I like the mulching best, however it requires patience on the speed some times.

TaylorLawn
12-20-2002, 07:28 PM
Oliver,

the only reason I had to remove it was because a shaft apparently bent slightly and the blade hit the horizontal part of the plate, I had to remove it and grind it because even when I changed the shaft the damage would still not allow the blade to turn, therefore I had to mow that day without it until I could do the repair......Its back on now though!!.....thanks, Eric

TaylorLawn
12-23-2002, 07:43 AM
Where did you guys purchase the shorter sized spacers? Is that something I can get at any hardware store or Lowes etc? What would be the effect if I used the stock spacers that came with the machine? Would the blades be below the deck?? Thanks, Eric

Oliver1850
12-23-2002, 08:23 AM
Eric,
I am assuming you intend to use doubles. If that is the case, you cannot use the stock spacers. The bottom blade will hit the baffles and the bottom edge of the deck.
Typically you can obtain spacers at any specialty bolt and screw supply store. Your dealer may also have them.

Shady Brook
12-23-2002, 09:33 AM
Eric

I did use the stock spacers and doubles without problem. My bolts were just long enough. It did not seem to set the blades to low either, but it does throw off your height setting. You can just go and get some big washers from Lowes, or any other hardware type store and you can use as many as you need to keep the blade cutting height just where you want it.

Jay