PDA

View Full Version : North vs. South

cutntrim
08-12-2000, 09:13 AM
Who has the toughest cutting conditions? Northerners or Southerners?

Speaking for the True North I think we may have it the toughest. We haven't gone more than 5 days straight without significant rainfall since April. We're obliterating historic precip records every month. The grass is so tall and wet that we have to double-cut (with dbl blades) and then blow around the clippings and clumps. Many lawns actually require raking...in August! We're cutting 70hrs per week and can barely keep up. We've had to put most extra chores off indefinately and still haven't found time to get out and quote for snowplowing yet. It's been hot and humid despite all the heavy downpours and in a few weeks all the companies around will lose their summer students when school is back in.

I think you boys down south have it easy (this year anyway) compared to the rest of us up here. But I'm sure some of you will argue otherwise.

Wonder how the West Coast guys are doing? There was a dude from Washington who was complaining about having to cut in the rain all the time...now most of the rest of us know how he feels.

Charles
08-12-2000, 09:36 AM
South, has it worse. But that was sad. About had me in tears. hehe. Try 95 to over 100 degrees and over 70% humidity for a month. Then post again. See if you change your mind. I don't need to take a bath. I just go outside.

geogunn
08-12-2000, 10:29 AM
north versus South....

hmmmm...this one has been done before!

GEO

cutntrim
08-12-2000, 10:44 AM
Geo,

Maybe so, I don't remember and I've been a member as long as you have. Anyhow I'm referring to this season.

Cutter1
08-12-2000, 11:03 AM
No contest!!! North all the way. I live in Pittsburgh, I can't keep up. Double, triple cuts, then you drive by three days later, it doesn't even look like you cut it!!! It beats last year, all I did last year was golf!!

Bobby
08-12-2000, 11:28 AM
Hey Cutter,double cuts are the norm down here.You guys do it for mabey seven months,then it's break time.There is no real break in the deep south.To make it worse, you guys make more coinage.And if that ain't enough,I changed blades yesterday around noon. The blades were in the bed of my truck. They dang near burnt my hands. Charles can tell you,by ten oclock,you'll be dripping wet.You guys have (the seasons). We have summer and then a mild summer for about a month. Lets trade.

GrassRoots Lawn Care
08-12-2000, 11:30 AM
I can't imagine any worse cutting or working conditions that Florida. Come forwards you Floirda boys, tell them about the heat. The bugs, the relentless sun. The humidity. Bahaia. And the worst of all the ELDERLY! Oh My! LOL we are cutting some accounts every 5 days to keep up with the growth. We are getting 7-8 inches of growth weekly on some St. Augustine accounts (well fertilizied).

Scag48
08-12-2000, 12:05 PM
I'm from Eastern Washington and haven't had much rain. My lawns are stalling on growth. I sometimes have to mow when it's 90-95 degrees out. Thats tough. BUT, I'd have say that guys with rain have it the worst. Just my 2 cents.

Bubba5
08-12-2000, 01:51 PM
well lets see, work vs. no work, thats been my norm for the past 3 seasons this time of year, its so dang hot and doesn't seem to rain for over a month or so, when it does its just enough to make the crab grass grow, at least i get to cut that :), thursday i went out the door looked at my thermometer and it said 103, that was at 10:15am! the humidity stays at least 50% or higher daily, pouring from sweat the moment you step out till you go back in. dont know if thats a fair argument for either side but its hot in mississippi!

Keith
08-12-2000, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by GrassRoots Lawn Care
I can't imagine any worse cutting or working conditions that Florida. Come forwards you Floirda boys, tell them about the heat. The bugs, the relentless sun. The humidity. Bahaia. And the worst of all the ELDERLY!

LOL

Here in Florida it is hot and humid, but I think other places in the south have it worse. At least we have a sea breeze and frequent cooling rains to stir up the air a little. :) Bahia is tough grass for any that have not experienced it. It is a very fine grass in the spring usually, but by early summer that all changes. It begins to get thick and it sprouts these thin 1 foot+ high stalks that are nearly impossible to cut if they are not cut low enough. If it is dry these stalks do not want to cut at all.

St. Augustine is just plain thick, especially Floratam, with grass blades around a 1/4" wide. Nothing unusual except small seed pods around May and September. Also about these same times the St. Augustine runners grow upward for some reason. If they are not completely cut you have to re-mow the area just to cut a few stray runners.

I have never mowed up north, so I can't compare the two.

Guido
08-12-2000, 09:09 PM
I think the North already one this battle, didn't they??

26 MAY, 1865 THE LAST CONFEDERATE ARMY SURRENDERS!

:) Sorry!

Twotoros
08-12-2000, 09:36 PM
Well this NW boy has not seen a drop of rain since sometime in june . I live on the east side of the mts. in WA. We are in our 4th week of 88-98 degree days.
4.47" of rainfall this year so far . Our yearly av. is under 8".
We use irrigation here for crops and everything else . So mow season is the same here 30-33 mows.

gusbuster
08-12-2000, 10:16 PM
:D The only time it's hard to cut around here in the San Francico Bay Area is the months of late October thru early March. That darn rain. It's not too difficult the rest of the time. Just wish the weather would be consistent. One day the weather is windy with mist from the fog, next day hotter than heck. Also have to contend with over 15 different micro climates between my south service area and most north service are. I guess we have it easy compared to all of you guys.:o I guess that's why people pay crazy prices to live here.
John

Jay Beckman
08-12-2000, 10:34 PM
TWO WORDS........SEATTLE,WASHINGTON.It's not to bad now but I would like to see you southerners take the pepsi challenge to 10 months of rain a year!!! Believe me - I'd take a couple months of 90 degree plus any day!!!

KirbysLawn
08-13-2000, 12:46 AM
I don't think anyone can answer this question unless they have done both. Each has it's +'s and -'s, currently we have had rain every other day and the grass is requiring double cuts on over 50% of the lawns. Fall is coming and that will bring the leaves, oh no! Temps are around 92-95 with high humidity so it's HOT! Not sure what other areas are like so I can't honestly compare.

geogunn
08-13-2000, 01:05 AM
cutintrim--sorry to take a while to follow up to you but GUIDO got the idea!

north versus SOUTH. still a sore subject when it gets brought up!;)

GEO

Charles
08-13-2000, 10:29 AM
WE do have it both here in SC. We go through periods of drought. Then periods of heavy rain. Like we have been through lately. I am now cutting thick high grass. Its either feast or famine. Now you cut it and like has been said. 2 days later it need it again. Too much rain like in seattle and part of the north is a *****. Too little sucks too. But if the grass business was easy. There would be twice and many people doing it and we all would be starving. The hard times is what seperate the men from the boys. And we count on the boys and girls dropping like flies when times get tough. I still say cutting high grass is not hard work. The mower dose the hard work. Weedeating in hot humid weather day after day is what gets you. Can you say "HEAT STROKE"?

thelawnguy
08-13-2000, 03:30 PM
Im a yankee and never cut down south, but after visiting Florida several times I can safely assume you guys down there dont make the money we do up North-here everyone seems to have decent equipment and vehicles, in Florida seems all I saw were homemade trailers, 21 inch Murrays being pulled by 15-year old sedans with plastic over at least one window.

Rhinox29
07-05-2006, 01:05 PM
Well this is interesting topic so I will ad my 2 cents. I have mowed up North and down South. I have to give this to us Florida boy's. The Heat and Humidity is bad. And yes the northern boys get paid more. We have retire's to worry about and Bahia grass. But this is the biggest different maker, SAND. We don't have nice ground and dirt under our grass. We have sand and nothing will kill equipment like sand. constant cleaning to keep your stuff fresh. And killer on blades. Just my 2 cents.

Brendan Smith
07-05-2006, 01:09 PM

I think you boys down south have it easy (this year anyway) compared to the rest of us up here. But I'm sure some of you will argue otherwise.

try dealing with bahia grass, then you'll know.

Rev. Crabgrass
07-05-2006, 01:12 PM
I think the North already one this battle, didn't they??

26 MAY, 1865 THE LAST CONFEDERATE ARMY SURRENDERS!

:) Sorry!

Its only Halftime.....:gunsfirin :D

REV.

Seriously though, You are going to have to deal with something anywhere you go North South East or West. Anyone in this business gets to work their butt off just depends if its burning hot or swampy from rain.

tacoma200
07-05-2006, 01:30 PM
Sounds like it can get bad either place. Nothern grasses turn to mush (especially in the spring), fescue anyway. But that is short lived. Southern grasses are more rigid, and the heat and humidity make it worse. Living in the Mid-South we get a little of both. Warm season grasses are native to this area but most people use fescue because it stays green most of the year (or at least I think thats why). I guess thats why they have problems designing a deck to do both. In the spring the cut fescue has the consistency of cow patties. It would clog in my old grasshopper and leave clumps the size of softballs. The Exmark handles it ok but you have to clean the deck sometimes. PITA I would give the deep South the edge on bad cutting conditions from the sound of it. They don't get a break at all.

horticulturedawg
07-05-2006, 10:07 PM
We have heat, humidity, and smog. The heat is bad enough, but by 4:30, your eyes are burning and it hurts to take a deep breath. Not to mention zoysia which means reel mowing, which leads to backlapping when you finish. Lots harder and time consuming than slapping a rotary blade on a grinding wheel. Not complaining though, I love my work.

SouthernYankee
07-05-2006, 10:30 PM
As someone who has lived and landscaped in both places, I have the following insight. Random thoughts

Massachusetts- Tourists on Cape Cod will drive you crazy when you have a trailer and a truck going down small town roads, the weather is ideal during the summer, but the season is somewhat short. Fescue is easier to cut than st.aug. Hard to advertise compared to Texas, longer routes. No Gates! Lots of bobcat work.

Houston, Texas- Hot, Hot, Hot, but lots of grass to cut. Undercutters and cheap labor steal your accounts right out from under you. St.Aug, never burns but it can be extremely thick. 36" gates suck. I average 2 gallons of water a day. Longer season with pretty much year round mowing. People are less likely to work in their yard due to the heat and want you to do it all.

dtelawncare
07-05-2006, 11:30 PM
Being from the South I am partial. However, around here, we have had 2 days of actual rain in a little over 9 weeks. I am only part time, but I have lost over $3000 due to the drought. I know, contracts are the way to go. Around here this is why customers won't do it. Monday morining I was laying sod at 9:30, 96 degrees with 98% humidity. All that rain would suck, but I have been praying for some every day. Some of the yards are so dusty it looks like the middle east when I am out there.

tacoma200
07-05-2006, 11:39 PM
Being from the South I am partial. However, around here, we have had 2 days of actual rain in a little over 9 weeks. I am only part time, but I have lost over $3000 due to the drought. I know, contracts are the way to go. Around here this is why customers won't do it. Monday morining I was laying sod at 9:30, 96 degrees with 98% humidity. All that rain would suck, but I have been praying for some every day. Some of the yards are so dusty it looks like the middle east when I am out there.
I hear you friend. Usually you get a drought like that and a hurricane will come across the Florida panhandle and give it all to you at once. I'm only a couple hundred miles North and we have had very steady rain once or twice per week. That's how it works sometimes.

topsites
07-06-2006, 12:47 AM
north versus South....

hmmmm...this one has been done before!

GEO

Remember now we let them win, so the north has it the toughest, uh-humh..

Im a yankee and never cut down south, but after visiting Florida several times I can safely assume you guys down there dont make the money we do up North

Now for those of you in the doubt, money happens to be the reason we started the entire affair so lets not get started or we gonna hire us some slaves again dangit.

Coumbe
07-06-2006, 01:05 AM
Yankees are weak. And would surely fry in our 90% humidity and 95 to 104 temps.

tacoma200
07-06-2006, 01:08 AM
Im a yankee and never cut down south, but after visiting Florida several times I can safely assume you guys down there dont make the money we do up North-here everyone seems to have decent equipment and vehicles, in Florida seems all I saw were homemade trailers, 21 inch Murrays being pulled by 15-year old sedans with plastic over at least one window.
I agree with your first 3 words. Thelawnguy where do you think alot of the Floridians are from. Most are not Southern. By your quote "you guys" I guess you mean Americans by that? No offense to our fine North Eastern friends with out the stereotypical attitude.

Up North
07-06-2006, 02:06 AM
this is an easy one. I've visited Alabama, South Carolina, Florida, Tennessee, Kentucky, and Texas during the summer months. And I can tell you this, if I lived down there...there's NO WAY I'd be in this business. You guys & gals that mow or landscape during the summer months down south have all my respect because I'd be dead after 3 jobs in that heat & humidity.

We'll get some hot & humid weather up here but it doesn't last forever, a few days then back to some nice cool moderate temps. As for the rain...please send some. I may not mow a single lawn this week as we're bone dry, so if anyone knows a good rain dance...:cool2: :cool2: fill me in!

Buck

29 Palms Property Management
07-06-2006, 10:04 AM
Because you visited Florida, you've got it all figured out! You know what all Lco's make and drive and what setup we all have! You're pretty good! It must have been tough visiting every town and city in Florida to see all of that on your trip! That's almost the dumbest post I've ever read.
Now that I realize that was a 6 year old post, maybe he's smartened up a bit since then?

puppypaws
07-06-2006, 10:38 AM

Speaking for the True North I think we may have it the toughest. We haven't gone more than 5 days straight without significant rainfall since April. We're obliterating historic precip records every month. The grass is so tall and wet that we have to double-cut (with dbl blades) and then blow around the clippings and clumps. Many lawns actually require raking...in August! We're cutting 70hrs per week and can barely keep up. We've had to put most extra chores off indefinately and still haven't found time to get out and quote for snowplowing yet. It's been hot and humid despite all the heavy downpours and in a few weeks all the companies around will lose their summer students when school is back in.

Wonder how the West Coast guys are doing? There was a dude from Washington who was complaining about having to cut in the rain all the time...now most of the rest of us know how he feels.It does not make any difference where you are the property that is the most fertile and gets the most water is going to be the toughest to handle.

puppypaws
07-06-2006, 10:42 AM
Because you visited Florida, you've got it all figured out! You know what all Lco's make and drive and what setup we all have! You're pretty good! It must have been tough visiting every town and city in Florida to see all of that on your trip! That's almost the dumbest post I've ever read.
Now that I realize that was a 6 year old post, maybe he's smartened up a bit since then?When they won the war they took all the money back up north with them and left us high and dry, it is hard for people to even afford toilet paper in the south. Get them flags out boys it looken like a war is coming.

Up North
07-06-2006, 11:40 AM
Get them flags out boys it looken like a war is coming.

Can we do it up here? It's too fricken hot down there. Plus I'll put on a huge BBQ when we're done. :hammerhead: :laugh:

Buck

tacoma200
07-06-2006, 11:51 AM
Memphis style BBQ and you got a deal! Maybe I can get in on some good fishing while I'm up there.

puppypaws
07-06-2006, 06:40 PM
I agree with your first 3 words. Thelawnguy where do you think alot of the Floridians are from. Most are not Southern. By your quote "you guys" I guess you mean Americans by that? No offense to our fine North Eastern friends with out the stereotypical attitude.They make all that money cuttin grass up north and then move to a good southern state to retire, I figure that is why they won the war they are just smarter.

CutInEdge Lawn Care
07-06-2006, 09:59 PM
Well I have cut grass in KS. aprox 23yrs and 6yrs in FL. As for the weather, you take the good with the bad. I have to remember when it's 98 degrees and 95% humidity and leaning over the mower to puke that I could be lying on my back working on a tractor outside in 60 below weather in Jan. Even pulling people out of ditches when its 30 below and step in a spot that isnt even froze over yet. MMM boy does that fell good!!!! As for mowing conditions I truly believe it is 50 times harder here. However, if you average in the seasons I will take FL hands down.

AllanP
08-08-2006, 05:56 PM
For those of you up north that want to know what its like to mow in Florida. Go out to work wearing a garbage bag for a shirt. Thats what it feels like down here. Not to mention the gnats.

tacoma200
08-08-2006, 06:07 PM
Looks like the North won and moved to Florida best I can tell......Not racist just proud to be Southern...

Brendan Smith
08-08-2006, 06:25 PM
Can we do it up here? It's too fricken hot down there. Plus I'll put on a huge BBQ when we're done. :hammerhead: :laugh:

Buck
roflmfao :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

TJLC
08-08-2006, 06:37 PM
Some days I really have to wonder why I put myself through this torture and then there are days when I realize why I do this, instead of working for "the man". As far as Bahia grass goes, I think the guy who invented it was either going through a NASTY divorce or just plain MAD at the world. And please don't get me started on the bugs. As far as north vs south, I have done both and they both have their ups and downs, IMHO.

South Florida Lawns
08-08-2006, 07:32 PM
I don't think either region is tough or harder than the other.

I never cut up north, but it does get miserable down here dodging rain all the time as well as humidity, and we pretty much mow year round.

Its pretty laid back in Florida though, which make it kinda nice.

lawnprosteveo
08-09-2006, 10:56 PM
CutnTrim...I hate to correct my Canadian neighbor to the North..but I seriously doubt you Northern boys could hang with the Southerners... We have been over 100 the last 16 days...that doesnt include the humidity and that is also not accounting for direct sunlight. When it hits you in the middle of the day it feels like it is literally beating your head in. By about 4pm you are moving REAL slow and you are soaked head to toe...its hard to breathe because the air is so hot and heavy..... Sorry bud, you get no sympathy from this Okie!

OMG
08-09-2006, 11:20 PM
CutnTrim...I hate to correct my Canadian neighbor to the North..but I seriously doubt you Northern boys could hang with the Southerners... We have been over 100 the last 16 days...that doesnt include the humidity and that is also not accounting for direct sunlight. When it hits you in the middle of the day it feels like it is literally beating your head in. By about 4pm you are moving REAL slow and you are soaked head to toe...its hard to breathe because the air is so hot and heavy..... Sorry bud, you get no sympathy from this Okie!

Yep.....and though the national news shows 94 in the East and 100 in the South.....the heat index in the South may be 112 or more.

2 weeks ago is the 1st time in years that we didn't complete all our routes.
We started out the next week 2.5 days behind.

The reason: The heat. I wasn't going to take a chance with my life or any of the crew. It was undamnbearable.

BTW, it's rained 3 times (once was for 5 minutes) in 3+ months here.

Envy Lawn Service
08-10-2006, 01:40 AM
South, has it worse. But that was sad. About had me in tears. hehe. Try 95 to over 100 degrees and over 70% humidity for a month. Then post again. See if you change your mind. I don't need to take a bath. I just go outside.

Yeah, and this post was as far as I read...

Anyways, we also went 3 straight seasons of nothing but rain.
It was like bringing the 90's to seattle or something.
Wet jungle...

This year, drought and hot-hot-hot+humid.

You guys who think you have harsh cutting conditions should spend a season in the transition zone. The place were everything grows... and sometimes in the same lawn, LOL.

kmann
08-10-2006, 10:01 PM
I can't imagine any worse cutting or working conditions that Florida. Come forwards you Floirda boys, tell them about the heat. The bugs, the relentless sun. The humidity. Bahaia. And the worst of all the ELDERLY! Oh My! LOL we are cutting some accounts every 5 days to keep up with the growth. We are getting 7-8 inches of growth weekly on some St. Augustine accounts (well fertilizied).
There can be no comparison. All of my lawns are irrigated and fertilized. They grow like crazy! plus the heat that everybody was crying about has been here since may. Heat indexes 110 to 120 are normal. I came from the north,:drinkup: there is no comparison.

kmann
08-10-2006, 10:08 PM
I agree with your first 3 words. Thelawnguy where do you think alot of the Floridians are from. Most are not Southern. By your quote "you guys" I guess you mean Americans by that? No offense to our fine North Eastern friends with out the stereotypical attitude.
I've met very few people down here who are native. Most are from the north including a whole lot of LCO's.

Precision
08-10-2006, 11:38 PM

cutting bahia is easy. Its like cutting butter.

although I will admit it is like cutting frozen butter with a disposable plastic knife.

And when the first cut is needed after the rain stops, then it is really tough.
Good side is you can skip early and late season cuts completely, so as long as your on contract it isn't SO BAD.

Envy Lawn Service
08-11-2006, 02:36 AM
Hate the Bahia... but sometimes the Dallisgrass is worse.

BBN
08-11-2006, 10:49 AM
I would love to be doing this in Sacramento. We spent the last week out there with the in-laws. It was in the 90s and I rarely broke a sweat. Around here with the humidity you start getting damp in less than 2 minutes of just standing outside if even if it's just in the 80s.

WJW Lawn
08-11-2006, 10:57 AM
Hate the Bahia... but sometimes the Dallisgrass is worse.

Bahia grass will be the death of me! And then it will probably grow right over my grave. :dizzy:

Blessed 1
08-11-2006, 11:04 AM
Personally I think thaat the guys who live in hilly metro area's have it the worst. All you can use is walk behinds..........yuck then, every thing is up hill..........yuck yuck........then all of the yards are really small aka alot of stops. I will take the bahia and triple cuts to avoid that. I took 3 jobs in Atlanta which is 2oo miles north of me and those hills had me wore out. I thank God more my 1/2 ace to 9 acre places that I have in South Ga even though its 95-100 degrees every day! 2 ea 60" ZTR's on a 9 acre place and I am in Lawn Heaven.

Brendan Smith
08-11-2006, 12:14 PM
cutting bahia is easy. Its like cutting butter.

although I will admit it is like cutting frozen butter with a disposable plastic knife.

you had me there:laugh: i started reading and i was thinking "wtf is this guy talking about?":laugh: :laugh:

martinfan06
08-11-2006, 01:34 PM
How about MOWING GRASS for 10 months out of the year can up north say that.

Pro-Scapes
08-11-2006, 03:15 PM
well lets see, work vs. no work, thats been my norm for the past 3 seasons this time of year, its so dang hot and doesn't seem to rain for over a month or so, when it does its just enough to make the crab grass grow, at least i get to cut that :), thursday i went out the door looked at my thermometer and it said 103, that was at 10:15am! the humidity stays at least 50% or higher daily, pouring from sweat the moment you step out till you go back in. dont know if thats a fair argument for either side but its hot in mississippi!

AMEN to that. Couple all that with some afternoon showers.. Toss in some lowballing weasels and then throw in the fact that no one here knows what a power rake is and the lawns got more craters than the moon. Then to top it off sprinkle it with roadside ditches people want cleared. once you add that up consider a route for us make take us 60 miles or more per day because the houses aint all right next to eachother!

Then whats more is you got the farm boy with his daddys mower in the back of his truck cutting the house next door for 50% of what its worth.

Im a transplanted yankee. Born in chicago. I can seriously say its MUCH worse down here. The humidity and heat is just downright WRONG!