PDA

View Full Version : 6 Miles Of Mowing

IBGreen
12-19-2002, 04:13 PM
Well guys once again I need you're input. I'm not going to say what I think I'm just going to ask the question because I don't want to be way off and feel like a dip. I was asked to bid on a job that is 3 miles of what will be perfectly maintained bermuda. Alright, so its 3 miles on each side of the neighborhood road which comes out to 6 miles total. Its doesn't have but a few small hills and only a couple curves. Overall very easy just time consuming; with a 52" ztr and a 36" walk behind w/ a flex-deck and jungle wheels how long do you think it would take us? And how much would you bid? We will also have to edge the sidewalks and roadsides on each side that run the entire 6 miles! So let's hear it how much?

Lawn Services
12-19-2002, 04:23 PM
well i do some roadside mowing myself for differnt towns
but to anser your ? 6 miles long but how wide ?????????

Jimbo
12-19-2002, 04:33 PM
Yeah, How wide on each side? Many trees? Shrubs?

Sounds like an easy job!

rodfather
12-19-2002, 05:01 PM
How often do you have edge the sidewalk? Can you do it every other week?

65hoss
12-19-2002, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by rodfather
How often do you have edge the sidewalk? Can you do it every other week?

Not with bermuda, every week it will need to be edged. Stuff grows everywhere.

How wide is the area?

IBGreen
12-19-2002, 05:06 PM
Sorry guys, there are no trees or shrubs but there are some street lights and I don't know how many but I will update you tomarrow. And on each side of the road there is about 12 ft. to mow on average.

IBGreen
12-19-2002, 05:07 PM
I'll have to edge every week

rodfather
12-19-2002, 05:11 PM
According to my calculations, that is about 8+ acres to mow.

Good thing is you won't have to make a lot of turns.

Doc Pete
12-19-2002, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by IBGreen
I'll have to edge every week

You'll need to bag it, or you'll be blowing the grass all over the road, yes????
Pete

Currier
12-19-2002, 06:24 PM
I gotta say that sounds like it would be a great job! If you have the right stuff and if the traffic isn't too bad. On a deal like that I'd go very early in the a.m. Is there houses around or could you get by doing a 5:00 a.m. mowing?

Whatever you do price the sucker to MAKE $$. I'd do a quick run over a section (even just running the machines with the blades off) to see how long a part of it will take and then multiply it all out to come up with a $$ figure.

By running over it you can also get an idea of how bumpy the cutting will be and how much debris you will have to deal with.

IBGreen
12-19-2002, 06:26 PM
We will be mulching with these two particular mowers. I can just never remember to include all of this information in my original posts.

IBGreen
12-19-2002, 07:28 PM
Believe it or not, there are no houses around there right now. There are a few houses being built quite a ways off so that wouldn't be a problem and there is also no traffic at all right now. But they are building an entrance to a golf course there so cars will be coming through but not many. No scope of price or time yet though!

Doc Pete
12-19-2002, 07:57 PM
We will be mulching with these two particular mowers. I can just never remember to include all of this information in my original posts.
Just remember, that grass will be growing a lot so price accordingly with mulching. Also, you won't be able to mow "too" early because the lawn will be too wet from the morning dew, for mulching that is.
Pete

Bunton Guy
12-19-2002, 10:02 PM
There is what 5,200 feet in a mile ? so what does that make it about 9 acres of turf to cut. I think it will take around 5 hours with 2 60" or 72" Z's with 1 guy edging. I think I would charge around give or take some $$ 510.00 per cut roughly 36 cuts per year rite ? thats 18,360 bucks. Goodluck

Doogiegh
12-19-2002, 10:18 PM
Remember to fill up the gas cans on the way out.. Getting 3 miles down the road only to run out of gas.. Boy would that be a long walk back to the truck...

Maybe you can get that motorized item that was at one of the shows that you kneel on like a scooter-plate to do all the edging.. ANyone else remember the item I am talking about? I think you kneeled on it and used your feet somehow to control forward motion AND steering at the same time.. Supposedly great for edging around HUGE corporate complexes, etc..

Gary

yourlawnguy
12-19-2002, 10:34 PM
Is this the item you're talking about?
It's at www.junglejimsap.com (http://www.junglejimsap.com/)

Doogiegh
12-19-2002, 10:37 PM
Yep, that's it!!!

I don't have one, but if I had to WALK 6 miles of trimming, hell, I'd definatly check them out.. <G>

Gary

Runner
12-19-2002, 11:36 PM
6 miles of trimming? Look at the edging! That's 12 miles! Each side of the walk X 2. Are you going to edge the curblines too? There's another 6 miles. Man! that's alot of walking! The blowing isn't that big of a deal because the walk can be done with a Z, and the street (what little is necessary with mulching) can be done from the tailgate of a truck. If you want MY suggestion, I say a couple of stickedgers with operators on rollerblades. Sounds silly, I know, but practicle for this application.:D

crazygator
12-19-2002, 11:38 PM
I had a thought,

The mowing should only take about 1 hour with a super Z running at 15 miles per hour.

72" deck, 2 passes per side=12 feet (6 feet per pass),
12 miles total, 1 hour or less.....

So mowing only = $60 per hour......hahaha :D

LAWNGODFATHER
12-19-2002, 11:39 PM
6 miles of Bermuda edging....

I seen one at only $510 does that include the mowing also.

Guy on the mower can mow it and blow it and be done long before 3 miles has been edged.

This is a job for the Walker with that edger attachment.

1 guy job.

Now go out and buy a brand new Walker with the edger attachment just for this job.

This idea sure beats that waste of space in the pic that was posted above.

LAWNGODFATHER
12-19-2002, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by crazygator
I had a thought,

The mowing should only take about 1 hour with a super Z running at 15 miles per hour.

72" deck, 2 passes per side=12 feet (6 feet per pass),
12 miles total, 1 hour or less.....

So mowing only = $60 per hour......hahaha :D

There ya go ROTFLMAO!!!!

Then you can cut that 600 acres for $600

chariot
12-20-2002, 12:59 AM
How about trying the Z-trimmer from the people over at lawnvac. Anyone have one of these yet?

jocko1104
12-20-2002, 01:10 AM
6 miles of edging! :eek:

Both sides?

12 miles of edging! :dizzy:

Wow sounds like fun for someone.

Westbrooklawn
12-20-2002, 08:18 AM
Believe it or not, there are no houses around there right now. There are a few houses being built quite a ways off so that wouldn't be a problem and there is also no traffic at all right now. But they are building an entrance to a golf course there so cars will be coming through but not many. No scope of price or time yet though!

I bid a job which was 1/2 mile long, into a new development, which ended in a culdesac. Due to the sluggish economy there are no homesites sold yet. Be careful......with no homes or traffic I found out that the debris pickup requirements were a nightmare......beer bottles, trash, old sofas, etc. It added substantially to the time requirements. I'm sure that once a house is built and occupied the "parkers" won't continue to frequent this area, but for now it must be a consideration in pricing.

Mr_Marc
12-20-2002, 08:32 AM
Sidewalk on both sides of the street? If so then 18 miles of edging
Right and left side of sidewalk plus along the curb. That is some serious walking. Man my feet hurt just thinking about it. LOL

I was thinking mounting a blower on ther front of the truck. Little wonder. Also I think I saw a dolly for the front of A "Z" in one of the mags. Walk it off in one direction and multiply by how many passes with a stick edger.

Let us know how you make out!

Hawkeye5
12-20-2002, 08:33 AM
Will you edge two sides of the sidewalk plus the curb? If so, that is a bunch of time each week, and you will need to do it each week with Bermuda the way it creeps. Westbrooklawn is dead on regarding the trash. It can be bad enough in a developed residential or commercial area. But an undeveloped area has the potential to be much worse (get some rubber gloves).

Jimbo
12-20-2002, 09:22 AM
TRASH.....Good point, I do some roadside mowing (about 2000 ft) and the trash is a nightmare. Make sure you include this in your price and make sure the client understands how much time it will add.
You will need two guys one to drive and one to hop off the trailer to get the trash. Dont try to walk it or stop the mower everytime to pick it up. Clean-up first and then mow it.

Jim

IBGreen
12-20-2002, 10:22 AM
Thanks for all the info guys! 18 miles of edging wouldn't be very practicle for two guys so I'm going to look into the edging attatchment for the walker. And trash shouldn't be much of a factor this place is gated!