PDA

View Full Version : Transfer tank?

noahb195
05-01-2012, 09:41 PM
Alright who has a transfer tank in the back of their truck? Brands? What kind of electric pumps? Pictures would be awesome!

dieselss
05-01-2012, 10:53 PM
Gas or diesel?
Posted via Mobile Device

GQLL
05-02-2012, 01:58 PM
I have a rds 95 gallon tank with a cheap northern tool 15 gpm 12 volt pump. We use it to fuel the bobcat and on rare occasion to fill the trucks
Posted via Mobile Device

noahb195
05-02-2012, 03:36 PM
Mine would definitly be diesel. Im looking to start into bobcat work. I really enjoy working out in the woods and running compact equipment. I have a lot of goals that i want to accomplish.

How much did you guys pick up yours for? I looked at UWS and Weatherguard and they seemed pretty nice. Pictures are greatly appreciated!

GQLL
05-03-2012, 12:15 AM
I paid 500 for the tank and 150 for the pump
Posted via Mobile Device

noahb195
05-03-2012, 05:29 PM
I paid 500 for the tank and 150 for the pump
Posted via Mobile Device

Thats not bad at all.

Junior M
05-04-2012, 07:53 AM
dont get one unless you have a real use for it..It just takes up bedspace.

noahb195
05-04-2012, 04:43 PM
dont get one unless you have a real use for it..It just takes up bedspace.

It would take up a lot less space than having like 6 or 7, 5 gallon gas cans instead of having the tank. And it would be a pain to stop and load it on the trailer and take it back to the gas station. So you win some and you lose some.

360ci
05-07-2012, 02:50 PM
It would take up a lot less space than having like 6 or 7, 5 gallon gas cans instead of having the tank. And it would be a pain to stop and load it on the trailer and take it back to the gas station. So you win some and you lose some.

If you don't go through a tank a week, stick to using the jerry cans. If business picks up to run the equipment more, then the cost of purchasing an in bed tank makes it worth while. If for some reason business slows after you purchase the tank, you're out that much more money that you could've put toward related bills, etc.

I looked into getting a portable tank, i'm not sure what the DOT regs are in the US, but if you carry more than 100gallons you need TDG (transportation of dangerous goods) signs on the vehicle in question. With gasoline I go through maybe 75L a week for my equipment - small, I know. It only takes a minute to get the cans ready to fill and another minute to put them back.

On a positive side, when I had my snowmobiles it was a pita filling those up in -35C weather from small 2-3gal fuel cans. I know you mentioned you'd use the tank for diesel fuel, but there are also many ways to utilize a portable tank in the future. It's just questioning if the purchase price worth while, right now..

noahb195
05-07-2012, 04:52 PM
If you don't go through a tank a week, stick to using the jerry cans. If business picks up to run the equipment more, then the cost of purchasing an in bed tank makes it worth while. If for some reason business slows after you purchase the tank, you're out that much more money that you could've put toward related bills, etc.

I looked into getting a portable tank, i'm not sure what the DOT regs are in the US, but if you carry more than 100gallons you need TDG (transportation of dangerous goods) signs on the vehicle in question. With gasoline I go through maybe 75L a week for my equipment - small, I know. It only takes a minute to get the cans ready to fill and another minute to put them back.

On a positive side, when I had my snowmobiles it was a pita filling those up in -35C weather from small 2-3gal fuel cans. I know you mentioned you'd use the tank for diesel fuel, but there are also many ways to utilize a portable tank in the future. It's just questioning if the purchase price worth while, right now..

I dont need it right now im just trying to get suggestions and other things on the subject.

dieselss
05-09-2012, 08:15 AM
this is the one i was talking about,,,our diesel tank on a 2500 long bed

Junior M
05-09-2012, 08:27 AM
Not everybody in the excavation/heavy equipment needs a tank because the equipment is always moving from job to job..

tailboardtech
05-09-2012, 04:18 PM
I use a 50 gal cube tank thats bolted to a steel pallet works great for me and if I don't need it I can just take it out to save bed space and gas in the truck
Posted via Mobile Device

dieselss
05-09-2012, 07:34 PM
I tried to upload the pics but looking like they didn't take. I'll try later
Posted via Mobile Device

noahb195
05-09-2012, 09:27 PM
Thats a pretty good idea!

And thanks for trying.

zedosix
05-14-2012, 11:00 PM
I have a 130 litre tank built into my toolbox, no one knows I have it and its so convienant filling the skids or excavators without having to pour 5 gallons at a time. The pump is 14gpm. Works like a charm.

noahb195
05-14-2012, 11:22 PM
I have a 130 litre tank built into my toolbox, no one knows I have it and its so convienant filling the skids or excavators without having to pour 5 gallons at a time. The pump is 14gpm. Works like a charm.

Pretty nifty idea

trailbuilder
05-18-2012, 07:58 PM
I switched trucks last week and was working with fuel cans. My skid steer burns 25 -30 gallons a day mulching brush. I was so glad to get back my truck with the the transfer tank. Besides being convenient and is better for the environment and your clothes not spilling! I have a 45 gallon and 65 gallon tank.