PDA

View Full Version : Any good spring/winter ferts?

imalandscper
12-19-2002, 08:12 PM
Anyone have any good luck with spring
and winter ferts? And as well as i am asking
an all season application. I greatly appreciate all your posts and comments.

Happy Cuttings

LCSR
12-19-2002, 09:17 PM
Ima,

Your question is to vague for an answer to be given. If you could be more specific I'm sure you will get a response.

Mike

tremor
12-21-2002, 10:28 AM
In general, turf analyzes out at a 4-1-2 NPK ratio. So assuming there are no specific abnormalities with the local soils, then any 4-1-2 ratio fert will work out OK. Since P is incorrectly expressed on the label, appropriate analysis would include evrything form 10-6-4 (if you like to waste money on filler), 20-10-10 less filler so more economical, on up to 30-15-15 (can't really be made, but it sounds good).

Established turf can easily get by on zero Phosphorous in most areas of the Northeast as long as the Ph is correct. Some areas are banning luxury P apps & lawns aren't exactly dying as a result. We sell a 24-0-12 25% PSCU that many applicators are quite fond of.

There has also been a trend toward elevated Potash levels to increase rooting, disease resistance, & wear & stress tolerance.
Here at the house, I use either of 2 mainstay blends: 21-3-21 75% Poly Coated SCU or 19-2-19 62% ASRN from aminodiureaformaldehyde, et al. I play with organic too, but that's another story.

In most cases, percent slow release & source of N & K are much bigger deals with respect to turf quality than the actually NPK ratio. This because soils are generally forgiving of slight changes in cation activity.

But turf is not so forgiving if we over or under feed or apply a high salt soluble during periods of heat or drought stress.

Since you said spring & fall, then you'd probably get by with a "percent slow release N" of 50% or less. An all chemical might work too. especially if your not the one cutting the places. LOL

Can we elaborate a little more with respect to turf types, USDA zone, & local soil test results?

Steve