PDA

View Full Version : Cutting grooves in block

GreenI.A.
05-02-2012, 12:45 AM
hey guys, I have a quick question. I need to cut a groove in some retaining wall blocks so that I can lay in some flat steel supports. The groove needs to be 1/4" deep and 2" wide. This isn't a problem on a typical site when i only need to cut grooves in a few blocks and do it pretty easily with my grinder. Basically i just keep making 1/4 grooves side by side to cut the 2" wide groove. The site I'm starting next week is going to need to have about 75-80 of these grooves cut, is there any way to speed up the process of cutting these? I am searching for a cutoff saw that I can adjust the depth to 1/4", but the only ones I am finding online are pretty cheesy and I don't see them holding up to the abuse.

Any advice or recommendations from those of you who are more experienced? Any tips to get this done more efficiently than with a grinder? I was thinking of trying to make up a jig/guide to attach to my grinder to make it a little more efficient.

I'm sure you guys know what I am talking about doing. But in case my description isn't to clear here is a drawing of the groove and the steel that needs to be laid in it.

Thanks in advance

Snyder's Lawn Inc
05-02-2012, 01:07 AM
I got to ask what for what are you doing
My self I use a wet block saw

GreenI.A.
05-02-2012, 01:54 AM
Basically the steel comes out from the front of the block about 8" or so to support a ledge, giving the ledge the appearance of floating in front of the wall. The grooves are cut so that the top of the steel remains level with the top of the block. The steel comes out of the back side about 18" and is anchored below all the fill so that the weight of the ledge and anyone applying pressure to it is distributed past the wall. It is something that an engineer (I know dirty word) come up with on a precious install we did, we have now done a few of these.

DVS Hardscaper
05-02-2012, 05:37 AM
Not to sound like a jerk - but the options are pretty obvious.

-Chissel
-MAke a jig
-20" Edco Table saw
-Ship them to china and have them custom do it
-yadda yadda yadda

eastcoastjessee
05-02-2012, 06:34 AM
I've seen guys cutting pavers with a skill saw and a diamond blade. You should be able to set it to the proper depth. But a masonry radial arm would do the same.

2low4NH
05-02-2012, 10:26 PM
a router will do this the best. and yes they sell masonry routers

FLCthes4:11-12
05-03-2012, 06:30 AM
I would use a skill saw with a diamond blade make several cuts then chisel out the middle.

Graveslawncare
05-07-2012, 10:37 PM
a router will do this the best. and yes they sell masonry routers

That's what I was going to suggest....I've never done it but I would be seriously surprised if they didn't make masonry bits for routers just like they do drill bits, etc.

SSmith
05-08-2012, 06:12 AM
My idea was stolen. I was too late to the party.....story of my life.

Router, obviously.

2low4NH
05-08-2012, 04:56 PM
http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/masonry-router-bits.html

GreenI.A.
05-08-2012, 08:45 PM
Thanks for all of your input. I ended up going with the router. It worked great. I made a jig that fits right over the block and had one of the guys go to town all day.