PDA

View Full Version : Wait times for Jobs to begin

pullingrass
05-02-2012, 08:17 PM
What wait time for a construction job to begin is too long? We're booking for 6 weeks right now and a few to book over the weekend which will take it to 8 weeks easy. The jobs run between 5k - 20k.
Right now I'm ruining one good crew which I'm comfortable with. Did 2 last year and really flopped. But would be willing to do again with the 2 great guys I have now. Each guy has about 8 yrs experience. Which is a blessing compared to the guys I had last.

Any advice?

patpls
05-02-2012, 09:21 PM
I'll take a guess you meant running one good crew, not ruining.....

alldayrj
05-02-2012, 09:23 PM
I'm about two weeks out and its about the busiest I've ever been. Kind of nervous and its stressful knowing these couple rainy days are really going to jam me up. I had a great guy working for me that knew rvery aspect of concrete and masonry and i finally felt comfortable leaving the job for an hour but he got called back to his union job and now I'm really jammed doing everything with my full time helper. Answering craigslist calls now :/. I would also like some input on booking/scheduling.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gilmore.Landscaping
05-02-2012, 09:32 PM
We run 4 install crews and still book 4-6 weeks depending on the season and jobs. Obviously in the late summer and fall when things are slower we can usually start jobs sooner.

FLCthes4:11-12
05-03-2012, 06:38 AM
For me it is the same stress to have too much work as it is to have no enough. Do you normally stay booked up through the working months? If you can add guys without adding trucks and equip then go for it. Also pick the jobs that are the most proffitable. On alot of jobs all you need is a pickup and handtools to create that second crew

alldayrj
05-03-2012, 06:43 AM
Finding skilled guys you can trust seems to be the hardest part of the equation
Posted via Mobile Device

zak406
05-03-2012, 08:59 AM
If your backed that far up I can assume you do good quality work. If that is the case I think any wait time is acceptable as long as you state and make clear to them about tthe issue. Unfortunately in life to get good quality products it involves a wait time.
Posted via Mobile Device