PDA

View Full Version : Mulch Ad's

Doogiegh
12-19-2002, 11:51 PM
Ok, so winter is here and the fall cleanups are just about done. I figure I can keep them going thru December into January though.

If you do MULCH/bed work, WHEN do you advertise for Mulch work? Is there a "prime time" for Mulch work to be done? Do you do Mulch in February/March or in the middle of the summer?

Do you offer different textures/woods/colors or just 1 basic type (whatever is the most popular or cheapest in your area?)

LAWNGODFATHER
12-20-2002, 12:24 AM
Mulch is a good winter item to sell for protecting dormant plants.

I will sell mulch anytime I get the chance.

I try to use only 2 types I have.

Double ground and tripple ground.

I will use what they want if it is not garbage mulch.

I try to stick with the 2 above since I always have easy acsess to them.

rodfather
12-20-2002, 12:40 PM
March is a good month for us to mulch beds (new and existing) before mowing season starts. Another good time is in the summer (especially when the lawns slow up).

I'm like LGF...only double and triple ground.

We sell different, dye-enhanced colors...red, black, dark brown. And we get an occasional customer that only wants Cedar mulch (for the smell it gives off).

Hope that helps ya.

bobbygedd
12-20-2002, 01:10 PM
i have tried advertising for mulch in dec, jan, +feb. it was a waste of money for the add, not one phone call! people are just not thinking of their yards at that time of year. what i do, however, is: during the season i get requests for oddball type work ex: one woman wants me to cut, and remove several fallen trees from the wooded lot behind her house, another guy wants his garage cleaned, another wants brush cleared, etc. i save this work for when there is nothing else to do. remember mulching beds often requires edging them also, ever try digging in jan? also mulch is frozen solid sometimes, tried to pick up a load last week for some trees i planted, couldnt even get the pitchfork in it.

mdb landscaping
12-20-2002, 05:47 PM
Late winter - through early summer is prime time for mulching. Most people in this area, liked to be mulched by June or so. I do mulch jobs throughout the season, but most of it is put down in early spring. I spread about 110 yards solo last year.

Lawn Dog2001
12-20-2002, 05:56 PM
I think you will have better luck marketing winter mulch jobs to your current customer base. I agree with bobbygedd. If you run an ad, most people will not even think twice about it, because they are not thinking about their lawn this time of year. I always do some mulch in November and December because people want their property looking nice for the holidays. I have never done any mulch in Jan or Feb.