PDA

View Full Version : Truck Signs

Doogiegh
12-20-2002, 12:10 AM
At what point did you step up and get signs for the sides of your truck? Anyone got pictures as examples?

Do you use plastic/vinyl that cling or magnetic?

Roughly what should one expect to pay for them? Thanks!

imalandscper
12-20-2002, 12:16 AM
Get them right away. When you are sitting at a job site you are a sitting billboard for your work you do. They can see the work and the name at the same time....Also when you are driving people see it everywhere......When you are parked people look at it.....Go to someone that is not gonna charge you for the design....that way if you do not like it then you can change it no cost. Pick somthing that is easy to remember. I went with a simple design that looks very classy (i think) i will get some pics of my new truck when it is lettered but unfortunately tht is not till feb 14...my logo guy is very busy. i am paying $120.00 for the bug shiel both doors and my salter to get logoed...that is installed price. good luck

Happy Cuttings and LET IT SNOW!!!

imalandscper
12-20-2002, 12:21 AM
Sorry...forgot the vinyl or magnetic......well magnetic are nice cause they are not perminant but then again neither is vinyl...vinyl is compltely removable with a heat gun and adhesive remover but some fading may occur. Magnetic is easy to remove but may blow off at high speeds and they will scratch the hell out of the paint if you do not wipe them down daily they atract little metal shavings....dunno how but they do....so like i said pro's and cons....good luck again..

Happy Cuttings and LET IT SNOW!!!

KLR
12-20-2002, 12:52 AM
my opinion is magnetic signs are not permenate...leaves the impression your business aint permenate either.

i have seen some nice magnetic signs, i just dont like them

my opinion

Hawkeye5
12-20-2002, 09:41 AM
I'm having magnetic signs made now, and a metal sign for the back of my trailer. While the magnetic signs may have some disadvantages, I feel the ability to move them to another vehicle or a different location on the same vehicle make them a better buy for my particular situation.

Mr_Marc
12-20-2002, 10:08 AM
In my hood no commercial signs on vehicles parked overnight. Magnetic is the only option for me. Just keep the underside clean. I speak from experience, and so do the scratches. DOE:cry:

Gravely_Man
12-20-2002, 10:31 AM
I totally agree. The sooner you get signs on your truck and trailer the sooner you could be getting calls from new business. The truck and trailer should have signs to not only make the statement that you are proud of your work and want people to see your name but to let others know who you are.

Gravely_Man

bubble boy
12-20-2002, 10:37 AM
yeah get them right away. we have vynal, simple logo phone number and website. some co. here put all their services, motto's, etc.

magnetic can cause damage beyond scratching, i've seen paint come right off. not sure if it was moisture, bad paint, or what.

David Shaw
12-20-2002, 11:25 AM
I got magnetic signs right away. I like em because I can take them off when I want. Plus I can't afford a proffesional paint job right now. Look at www.magneticsigns.com. Thats where I got mine the price is good and so is the quality. Dave

walker-talker
12-20-2002, 11:33 AM
I am gong with vinyl because of the professional look. I am not sure what they cost. Like someone else said, have your logo designed. This the is the logo I am going with. I will have my phone number in large print underneath the logo. I aimed to keep it simple and I think I did just that.

jmcooper
12-20-2002, 11:39 AM
When I got my business license renewed, the lady told me you have to have signs on your truck/car with the business name and a phone number. It's a law but I don't believe it's enforced here in Alabama. I've had magnetic signs for several years on my truck. I see more without them than I do with them, could be the ones I see without aren't legal.

David Shaw
12-20-2002, 11:43 AM
Like your sign! I paid $64.78 total for 2 signs for my doors and a tailgate sign. Pretty good price compared to local prices. Actually it's a h*ll of a price compared. They have photo quality prining also, same price. Dave

jmcooper
12-20-2002, 11:54 AM
Here's mine, excuse the dirty truck, we've had alot of rain.

dougaustreim
12-20-2002, 12:49 PM
We have long felt that our truck signs were our most important form of advertising. We use a very simple sign with name and telephone number. Green block letters and white background. Instantly readable. We chose not to put the logo on the signs as such because truck signs are most often read with just a glance and we want people to get the message instantly withour distraction. One of our competitors has a very elaborate logo that is only readable if he is parked and you are standing still as well. With over 20 units on the road on a regular basis, our signs get our name in front of more people every day that probably any other medium could do. A few years ago, our local newspaper sponsored a survey called Top Of Mind. The pollsters called people at random and asked them what is the first name that comes to mind when a particular type of business was name such as bank, gas station etc. In landscaping we were far ahead of any of the other responses, yet several of the other companies spend way more on advertising than we did. I put the results squarely on the truck signs.

One thing, however, if you cross state lines, and end up being subject to federal DOT, then you have to have your city and state listed, as well as your DOT number

Doug Austreim
Austreim Landscaping Inc

JB1
12-20-2002, 02:26 PM
Here is a pic. of one of our trucks . We have four and they all our lettered this way.

GraZZmaZter
12-20-2002, 02:45 PM
Another good point noone has brought up yet is the hassle you will save yourself doing estimates. When your driving slow looking around for house numbers, this may look a little suspicious to homeowners. However with signs, you instantly eliminate any fears of wrongdoing from the homeowners because they can see your legit. Ive used magnetic signs before. Ive had all the problems listed above. Blowing off on the expressway, scratching, dulling paint, drawing rust to the surface. I dont like them quite frankly because i have more important things to take care of than wiping off my magnetic signs every time i get into my truck. Ill go with vinyl for now.

turfman59
12-20-2002, 05:22 PM
This is related to lettering my truck, My full time job is working in a super market where I have for 25 years. Now I am also being succesfull doing irrigation and landscape on the side totaly legit My employer also gave me my first installation that was over $12,000 at his new super 8 hotel. My question is just how far should I go with this ? Now I show up at work with a new truck that is lettered and is sitting in his parking lot 8-9 hrs a day should I letter it or not? how much is too much and is this ethical practice, I am very proud of what I do both full time and after hours. Any guys out there had similiar thoughts or situations.

walker-talker
12-20-2002, 06:37 PM
Personally speaking, to me that is a no brainer. I think you should get that truck lettered, look at the business it could bring in. If you get so busy that you have to quit the supermarket, so be it. It's all business.

MATT

lawncare3
12-20-2002, 09:48 PM
I'm using someone else's jeep (lease) should I just put a BIG sign on the trailer until I get my own? Is some better than none?

HLC
12-20-2002, 10:44 PM
jmcooper,
I was recently checked for my business license (in Alabama). The lady told me that I should put a sign on my truck so that she could just look it up and not bother me while I was working. I just said okay. The truth of the matter is a city councilman had driven by and reported me (thought I probably didn't have a license I guess). He called the "revenuer" out on me. The bottom line was if I would have had a sign on my truck, he could have just given her my biz name and she wouldn't have had to get up from her desk to drive out to check me.

MacLawnCo
12-20-2002, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by lawncare3
I'm using someone else's jeep (lease) should I just put a BIG sign on the trailer until I get my own? Is some better than none?

yes, and make your sign as tacky and unprofessional as possible.

bubble boy
12-20-2002, 11:48 PM
lawncare3-get the sign now-definately better than none.

1MajorTom
12-20-2002, 11:54 PM
Quote: yes, and make your sign as tacky and unprofessional as possible.

Jason, it's nice to see how you like to contribute here in a positive way.

Lawncare3, as bubble boy said, yes get yourself a sign.
Name recognition is good.

Randy Scott
12-20-2002, 11:57 PM
Both doors and the tailgate lettered with vinyl on my truck, cost was about $250. Worth every penny. Easily paid for itself. People like to tell you they saw the info on your vehicle.

grass chaser
12-21-2002, 12:11 AM
Go with vinyl. When I started out I purchased the magnetic signs and someone stole one and the other started falling apart(dry rot). Vinyl is fairly cheap and looks a whole lot more professional. I have the company name in 4 inch letters across the front windshield, the whole back window looks like one big buissness card(I used 3 and 4 inch lettering), also have a smaller version on each door and across the whole the whole bed of the truck I have my companys phone # 502-LAWN( in 8 inch lettering). Every where I go people know my name and you can not help but notice my phone number. I know it sounds like a lot but it looks really good. People compliment me on it often. Vinyl is also easy to install and depending on where you get it done very cost effective. The people who embroidery my company shirts and hats do the lettering so they get all of my buisness and they take care of me.

lawncare3
12-21-2002, 01:47 AM
Jodi,
I went a whole reply w/o "cussing" aern't u proud? :D

SLS
12-21-2002, 06:17 AM
Magnetic signs are like anything else in life...you get what you pay for.

Mine are a heavy grade. I have had them for three years. They have never scratched the paint. They have not loosened the paint. They have never blown off...at interstate speeds or at automatic car washes. The paint under then has faded a little bit but hey, it is black and 10 years old to boot.. The signs themselves have not faded or peeled. :D

And yes, they are great advertising. They have brought in lots of jobs from being seen in front of lawns while I was servicing them...as well as from being spotted in traffic. Well worth the investment.

Cost: $130 per pair.

SLS has attached this image:

http://bigrifle2.home.att.net/slsmag.jpg

walker-talker
12-21-2002, 09:31 AM
For those that use vinyl, can you take them off and re-apply them to a differnet truck in case you should sell and get another? I am not sure if you could take them off and they remain in good shape.

Also, I am considering getting a new phone line for business. For those that use 555-LAWN rather than 555-5296, is there a big advantage to this? I suppose there would be on a truck because it would be easier to remember, but is this something to consider while picking my new number, or might it be better to find something like 555-4444 or 2121....catch my drift?

MATT

nlminc
12-21-2002, 09:44 AM
Matt,
You can not reuse the vinyl lettering and it's a PITA to remove if you ask me. Does look very professional. I have used it on my trucks and trailers for years.
If you go with a catchy # 555-LAWN?? I would suggest having the #'s in () next to the word. Before I sold my business, I had a toll free # 800-281-GROW (4769) That was how I displayed it.

Chris

xpnd
12-21-2002, 10:06 AM
First impressions are most important. Looking professional from the start reassures the customer before one word is even exchanged. Check your insurance rates. The difference between magnetic and "permanent" vinyl can be staggering. The philosophy is that the vinyl signs indicate a "deeper" pocket for people to reach into. Also those that may have switched from magnetic to vinyl should check with their carriers. This may be a way for your carrier to void a claim. Sounds stupid and is stupid but that is the way my insurance company (The Hartford) explained it to me.

Greens Keeper
12-31-2002, 09:07 PM
We took a step up with this truck. The lettering is all vinyl (4 layers). In business 15 years we want to get onto better work than just joe blow out there cutting grass. See what comes of it.

BRL
12-31-2002, 09:36 PM
I agree about the magnetic signs seeming non permanent & not as professional, however, when I first got signs I wasn't too sure of which trucks I would actually have in that near future (now LOL). So I went with the magnetics and this truck has outlasted how long I anticipated I'd have it. The other truck they were on died a couple of years ago as expected, but since I really didn't need to replace it yet I have a set of signs on the clothes washer LOL. Another thing was I knew I was going to design some sort of logo, which I finally did a couple of months ago. Another reason I went with magnetic is that our town runs a mini dump and its not for commercial use. So if I take stuff there from my house I need to take the signs off & pretend I'm just Johnny Average Homeowner. Also, there is another Dump\Transfer station where I could take pressure treated & creosoted lumber, other various garbage from cleanups etc. If I take the signs off I can dump there as Johnny Average Homeowner, however with the signs I would have had to get a DEP waste number & when I inquired about that, it was going to be a major trail of red tape & costs, that weren't justified for 1 -3 loads a year maybe. So I went with magnetics & it has worked fine so far. When I upgrade trucks I'll go to vinyl though, because I haven't dumped at that one place that requires the DEP License for a couple of years now, and if I need to, I'll sub that work out. If you are going to put signs on the trucks make them legible! Jeffyr from here & I talked about this before. You see so many contractors out there with these wild fancy designs & logos on the sides of their trucks, but you can't see them unless you stop, get out of your vehicle, get close, & really concentrate. They look cool but if potential clients can't read your company name or phone number, why bother?

Doogie,
If your interested, there's a nice guy close to me that does good work at a fair price. Probably a 15 -25 minute drive based on exactly where you are in Edison? PM me if you want.

Greens Keeper,
Nice set up, that sign catches the eyes. Are those Turkey Wings, other , or home made?
http://photomail.photoworks.com/SfwOnline/albums/displayimagelarge.asp?AlbID=377703&ImgID=6477065&size=2

LLMSERVICE
01-01-2003, 11:09 AM
The signage laws are interesting. I don't believe we have anything like that here.

As for signs on a leased vehicle, I lease all of my trucks and have used vinyl graphics along the sides, tasteful, simple and as big as possible. The company name across the cab and the phone number across the back quarter of the box. I used a reflective dark green lettering that looked really sharp on white trucks, particularly at dusk. At the end of the lease, we peeled them off using heat guns and a bit of alcohol on a cloth with no problems whatsoever.

The signage works well as I was using one of my trucks on vacation in Toronto and Michigan about a thousand miles from home and I was getting calls from people on the highway following me and looking for quotes.

SDlawndawg
01-01-2003, 05:36 PM
In my first two years of business I had signs on my truck. They were magnetic and looked pretty good until one fell off and another caused rust. Never got any business from them and never put any replacements back on. This year I might have some lettering put on the doors but it will only be the name and be small just for the sake of looking professional.

MOOSE
01-01-2003, 09:33 PM
SDlawndawg, It is the law in Michigan to have Name,Phone & city/state on you vehicle. I should know I got pulled over in June of 2002 and got ticketed for no company lettering and not having my equipment tied down.
Every state has different laws and everyone should look them up and be prepared. Some law enforcement agencies don't enforce these laws but some do. Don't find out the hard way.

SDlawndawg, I work in the Birmingham/Bloomfield Hills area. And it was Bloomfield Hills that got me.

SDlawndawg
01-01-2003, 09:38 PM
Moose- The tax base here in Traverse City would get a significant boost if all lawn co's that didn't have a sign were given a ticket. I'd say less than half the trucks I see have a sign. Thanks for the tip though. Didn't know it was the law.

David Shaw
01-02-2003, 08:42 AM
I'm looking for some valid opnions here. I'm going to attach a pic of my sign I have now. I like it but I don't think it's eye catching enough. Then I'm going to post a couple of others, just give me your opinion. Thanks Dave

David Shaw
01-02-2003, 09:00 AM
Well it wouldn't let attach the one file. Wrong type, so here goes again. This is my business card, I really like it I think it looks classy . I used it for jobsite signs and it works for me.

turfman59
01-02-2003, 09:48 AM
I would use your name or part of it, my first impression was you were a fence builder Just my opinion.

David Shaw or Shaws , simple and easy to remember if the people know you well in your community a lot goes into a name, if you are doing work in a smaller area, most of your referals will be by word of mouth,, I really like Smiths lawn care sign posted a few threads back, it looks so 1950's retro, way cool!!

wriken
01-02-2003, 10:11 AM
Here's a pic of my ramp, I'll try and post one of my side windows of the truck, cost for corrugated metal and vinyl for ramp was 65.00, and windows was 40.00. This is simple but works.

wriken
01-02-2003, 10:14 AM
Can't see it very good but under my tailgate I have name+ #

wriken
01-02-2003, 10:16 AM
Here is the side windows

David Shaw
01-02-2003, 11:14 AM
Turfman, just a short history of our name. My wife came up with it and I really like it. Fact is we've had a lot of people complement us on it. Shaw's lawncare etc. is short and to the point I agree. But I kind of felt like you were just one of the herd so to speak right off the bat. The Pickett Fence kinda jumps out I think. Any way I am The Pickett Fence, just the way it is. Thanks for your input Dave

HarryD
01-02-2003, 12:17 PM
Greens Keeper

hey can you take another photo of the side of your truck and just try to get the sign in there looks awsome was thinking of doing something like that on my truck . I have the same truck . what was the cost of that and who did it

Esby
01-02-2003, 01:35 PM
Here is what the ext cab side windows look like. I just got them done last spring and am pretty happy with the way things turned out. I shopped around just a bit and got the quote for $60....that was half the price of the next lowest competitor!! I don't know how the made any money off me, but thats just fine with me:) The design is based off of the logo for our shirts and letterhead.

JML
01-02-2003, 02:11 PM
http://www.jmurray.com/16trailer.jpg http://www.jmurray.com/truck1.jpg http://www.jmurray.com/truck2.jpg

here is one of our trucks that was lettered with airbrushing.
and the back of one of our trailers that we had lettered with vinyl.
in the background of the trailer picture is one of our enclosed trailers that is lettered in vinyl as well.. have to excuse how dirty everything is.. roads around here are so grimey...

stevo22
01-03-2003, 07:36 AM
JML

are you the one that copied text from jim lewis's web site w/o changind it???