PDA

View Full Version : Great Dane vs. Exmark?

Simone Lawn Service
12-20-2002, 12:51 AM
I got my first "real" commercial mower two years ago, A 48" Great Dane Surfer. The mower has given me no major problems and has been a good unit. However like I said this was my first big ticket mower and I really don't have anything to compare it to. One thing I don't like is that there are hardly any accessories for the Great Dane. I would like the option of a bagger (especially for the fall clean-ups) the Dane's bagger didn't even look worth buying for $400- it looked pretty small.I also may be getting into some higher end properties next season and I can't say that my Dane does a great job striping. Should I run the Dane out (it's paid for) or is it worth trading and shelling out a few grand for say an Exmark-I certainly see a lot of them around?
You guys have a lot more expierience than I do, Thanks

LAWNGODFATHER
12-20-2002, 01:08 AM
There is only a few accessories available for a stand on mower.

For ZTR's there are many, and that goes for many MFG's.

chariot
12-20-2002, 01:31 AM
I used a Great Dane Chariot from 1998 until about mid summer this year. I then upgraded to an Exmark Lazer EPS. No comparison, Exmark wins hands down. This is from about 1000 hours on the Chariot and around 175 on the Exmark. I thought the Chariot was fine until I tried the Exmark. The difference in the hydraulics was like night and day. I think the Exmark is worth a few hundred more just because they are on this board and are more than happy to answer questions. I can not say enough good about the Exmark. Are you looking for a Lazer or walkbehind? Whatever you are looking for go demo it before you throw out the money.

crazygator
12-20-2002, 01:32 AM
There are several MFG's out there with great machines for you to consider. Sounds like your options would be better suited with a Z, but only you can make that decision.

Keep in mind more and more are liking the standers, so you might sell it and get a fair price for it. Demo all the machines you can, especially on your properties so you will know it will handle what you are doing and will be doing. And remember you wont get nearly as much trading in as you will selling out right.

I did demo the Lazer HP 52" with Ultra Vac and it was awesome. Very easy to operate and control, and the bagger worked really much better than expected. Very nice machine, and with a 23HP Kawasaki it seemed to have more torque than my Dixie with the 26HP EFI Kohler.