PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Toro Reel Mower

loser135
05-03-2012, 07:41 PM
Selling 2005 RM-5500D Reel Mower. Only 1400 hrs. Used to mow sports turf at local university. Only selling as they have decided to mow in house. Kubota diesel engine. 11-blade reels set to 7/8". No leaks, no smoke. Starts & runs great. $3900 service in Jan '12. New bed knives, sharpening, etc. Always stored under cover and well maintained. Located in Cookeville, Tennessee which is half way between Nashville and Knoxville on I-40. Have more pics if interested. Can discuss delivery options if needed. Email or 931-372-2571
$7500 OBO

rsp1961
05-04-2012, 08:40 AM
So it cost $3900 to service this machine? Please clarify. Also, how often do blades need to be sharpened and how much is that service? Love the kubota diesel. Thanks

loser135
05-04-2012, 12:22 PM
I'm sorry about that! I just wanted to imply that the mower is ready to roll! I assume bed knives wear out periodically but you won't have to worry about it anytime soon. Basically, I bought it last summer and I didn't look close enough. Came from a golf course in Alabama. Replaced bushings, etc. and the reels are totally ready to mow and they have been mowing field this spring. I think a yearly professional blade sharpening is needed and that is just a couple hundred (?) No major expense needed with this machine. It's ready!

rsp1961
05-05-2012, 10:25 AM
I have approximately 8 ball fields that I service, that are currently still rye and clover, and I service twice a week with my Kubota rotary Z. The bermuda is starting to show. By the end the month it will be primarily bermuda for the rest of the season, needing service 2-3x/week through August. The sports assoc. that own these fields do not have the money to maintain these fields as needed (aerations, topdressing, etc), and thus the fields also have a good amount of warm season weeds and fescue,etc. My question is, how well do these reel mowers do with crabgrass, fescue or any other type of flat bladed weed/grass? Also what is the cutting width of this mower and can it be hauled with a standard open 6.5' wide trailer? Sounds like you may have gotten into what I am trying to avoid by buying something I am not familiar with and getting in over my head. I need to make sure this mower will handle all of the needs of these sports facilities and not just the bermuda grass.

loser135
05-05-2012, 11:20 AM
I believe the cut is 102". I can get specifics. I had been spraying the fields at Tech for years and they had been mowing with a ZTR set low and it was just not working. We conned them into getting the reel mower and the difference was almost instant! You could tell a difference within a week. We got the larger 5 reel unit as we were potentially looking at mowing 6 fields and if you got 3 straight days of August rain, you'd be in a bind with a smaller unit. This mower WILL NOT fit on a standard trailer. Front tires too wide and reels don't quite clear sideboards. We had to borrow a heavy duty flatbed trailer. Once you get the grass down, I think you'll be OK. Reel mowers don't do very well with tall grass/weeds as they just tend to roll over them. Once summer hits and the Bermudagrass kicks in, I think you'll be thrilled with the results. Message me back or call my office Monday AM. I'll be glad to talk to you more, send additional pics. It's a good, dependable unit that will work great for sports turf.