PDA

View Full Version : Foundation shrub suggestions?

ron mexico75
05-04-2012, 10:02 AM
Wanting to get some suggestions as to what you might plant. Talking about the area of foundation in front of the visible brick. Right now there are 2 arborvitiaes on each end and a varity of a crepe myrtle bush.

I can tell you I was thinking 3 schip laurles. I plan on doing some other lower growing things in front. Im just not 100% on the schip's but they might be the best bet.

On the section of foundation where it cuts in, there are 2 needlepoint hollies which are going to stay. Maybe I keep it consistent and get 3 more? Im not sure that's why Im posting for suggestions.

This is zone 7 and the house faces North.

Ive obviously got other work to do for this person. Redoing all the beds actually. Making them larger and removing what the homeowner planted a few years ago. Im just kind of stuck on what the foundation shrubs should be.

ron mexico75
05-04-2012, 10:47 AM
come on people, you can't tell me EVERYONE is working today and not on the computer F'ing around.:laugh: Give me some suggestions.

djlunchbox
05-04-2012, 12:23 PM
what zone are you in
EDIT: nevermind, i re-read

agrostis
05-04-2012, 04:21 PM
What is that growing on the right side of the porch ? Is there irrigation ? Are those purple shutter's or your camera ? Can you be a little more specific about the location ?

chrisvinky
05-05-2012, 12:13 AM
I know you said you were keeping the two holly's, but if it were me they would be gone. I hate even numbers, especially two of anything.

I would try to up sell them on a nice small water feature such as a pondless fountainscape where they could enjoy the sounds of water while sitting on the porch.

I like the schip laurels and would go with three along with something lower and colorful in front.

Hope that helps!

White Gardens
05-05-2012, 12:40 AM
I'd do one of two things.

Either use a few Green Emerald Arbs that shouldn't grow about the window and pack them in tight towards the foundation. This way you have a back-drop of evergreens and you can tier down with some colorful shrubs such as a spirea of sorts. Then you could could add in some perenial flowers towards the front.

Or....

You could use one Small growing ornamental tree/shrub in the center such as a weeping cherry or Japanese maple towards the back and then tier down from there. Maybe throwing in a boulder or something to add to the look.

White Gardens
05-05-2012, 12:44 AM
I know you said you were keeping the two holly's, but if it were me they would be gone. I hate even numbers, especially two of anything.

I would try to up sell them on a nice small water feature such as a pondless fountainscape where they could enjoy the sounds of water while sitting on the porch.

I like the schip laurels and would go with three along with something lower and colorful in front.

Hope that helps!

I agree to some extent. Though in twos, I'd keep them and try to let them grow together to make it look like one bush.

As for the water feature, yes you could, but would the HO really be able to...

A.) enjoy something like that in their front yard,
B.) Be able to maintain something like that.

White Gardens
05-05-2012, 12:46 AM
And one more thing Ron.....

Might want to talk the HO into letting you tie the two down-spouts together and running 4" PVC pipe under the sidewalk and to a pop-up drain. Not only will the water off the spouts create a muck hole in that bed, but I could see a very slick sidewalk in the winter when you get a good freeze/thaw cycle.

Coffeecraver
05-05-2012, 05:42 AM
Foundation Planting recomendation
Common Name: SKIP LAUREL
PRUNUS LAUROCERASUS ‘Schipkaensis’ or ‘Schip’
Zone: 6,7,8,9
Height Average: 5′-6′
Spread Average: 3′-4′
Habit: UPRIGHT
Culture: SUN TO PART SHADE
Foliage: MEDIUM GREEN
Flower: WHITE 5″ SPIKES APRIL-MAY
Comments: WORKS GREAT IN BORDER AND SCREEN PLANTINGS. GROWS BEST IN FULL SUN.

In front of Schip Laural
http://www.encoreazalea.com/
Blooms 2-3 times a year
Pick a color,my choice for this job is Autumn Twist

ron mexico75
05-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Great! Thanks for all the different suggestions. Some real good one too. The HO wants a nice look but doesn't want to spend for a total renovation ie: rip everything out and start over.

I agree about the 2 hollies not looking so hot but figured I'd leave them as is. There are 2 other beds, one on each side of the driveway that I'm designing/redesigning. I was trying to keep some of the existing plants and reincorporate them in order to keep their price low and not just throw away healthy plants that are just not placed properly.

I really would like to do the schips but don't gave a place to move those 2 existing arborvitae's. Maybe I just trash them and that crepe myrtle shrub in the middle.

With regard to those downspouts, they are causing a washout issue and pushing mulch into the yard. I have no experience with drainage and running pipe under sidewalks I'll admit that no problem. My plant was to remove all the mulch in that bed and replace with "golf ball size" river stone, similar in color to that aggregate walkway. That would keep mulch from washing out. Putting that Rick in would obviously be after all shrubbery was picked out and installed.

I also like the idea of the weeping cherry but with all that visible brick, I think it definitely needs to be evergreen shrubs like the laurels then "stepped down" on size to some great compact evergreen spiraeas I found.

As I sit here and type in thinking it might be better just to take it all out but it depends on the price they have in mind. I need to meet with them again as this whole design idea was brought up by them as I was cutting their grass for the first time.

If I did take out those 2 hollies at the inner part of the foundation, I'm wondering what to replace those with? Maybe keep it consistent and get one large schip? Oh well some ideas are popping up and some good ones were given by you all.

Still a plan in the making. I'll post back with other thoughts and also look at other ones you all post as well as reading opinions on my ideas.

To the poster who asked about the shutters; no not purple! The house has tan siding with burgundy shutters. No irrigation yet but the HO said they were getting irrigation shortly. I don like bing too specific with location. It's zone 7 in Virginia and like I said, the house faces north. No trees in front yard so even though it face north it gets a good amount of sun.
Posted via Mobile Device