PDA

View Full Version : Sure is quick now!!

Eric ELM
08-12-2000, 07:29 PM
Moving the site was worth the 2 hour downtime. It sure is quick now. :)

plsoucy
08-12-2000, 08:15 PM
For some people it may have been longer (I personnally experienced a 5 hours downtime while other people may still have their router directing them to the old server), but I agree it seems much better now... According to PHP.net, PHP4/Zend is 10x faster than PHP3 ;-)

I'd like to see what it will look like with 30 members logged in and 30 guesses!

Pierre-Luc Soucy
Forum merger responsible

Originally posted by Eric ELM
Moving the site was worth the 2 hour downtime. It sure is quick now. :)

Guido
08-12-2000, 08:42 PM
Wow, This is unreal!! Everything turned out great, compare this to a month or so ago with the old format and server!! WOW!!

Great Job Pierre!!! Pierre, would you e-mail me when you get a chance, I know someone who would like to use your services. Thanks! Guido1@surf1.de

bob
08-12-2000, 09:16 PM
It's blindingly fast!!

Guido
08-12-2000, 09:20 PM
UH OH, hey pierre, chuck or eric...........

2 questions, how come when I type It's or We'll, etc (anything with an apostrophe) is puts in a backslash?? I noticed this in Bob's post too.

And #2, how come the hyperlink in my sig doesn't work anymore?? It used to be fine?? It just happened when we changed servers???

Thanks Guys!!

plsoucy
08-12-2000, 10:22 PM
Hi,

for the apostrophes, that's a problem when saving data in the database, I guess... I'll go into it more deeply soon.

About your sig, I'll check.

Pierre-Luc

Originally posted by guido

2 questions, how come when I type It's or We'll, etc (anything with an apostrophe) is puts in a backslash?? I noticed this in Bob's post too.

And #2, how come the hyperlink in my sig doesn't work anymore?? It used to be fine?? It just happened when we changed servers???

Thanks Guys!!

plsoucy
08-12-2000, 10:46 PM
Hi,

just solved the problem for when posting a message... If you have any other problems, please specify them so I can solve them...

Pierre-Luc

Note : I'll manually arrange the messages that already have backslashes before apostrophes later tonight.

Originally posted by plsoucy
Hi,

for the apostrophes, that's a problem when saving data in the database, I guess... I'll go into it more deeply soon.

About your sig, I'll check.

Pierre-Luc

Originally posted by guido

Thanks Guys!!

gusbuster
08-13-2000, 12:02 AM
Still a problem with the hyperlinks in our sigs. Have Fun! :) Thanks for all the effort. :D
John

plsoucy
08-13-2000, 01:10 AM
Finally arranged the backslashes problem. The fact is that PHP4 (we were on PHP3 before) has some auto-addslashes functions when adding data to a database so slashes were added twice...

I also set signatures to accept HTML code.

Anything else to arrange?

Regards,

Pierre-Luc

Eric ELM
08-13-2000, 01:23 AM
I don't get the regular page of all the forums now. It takes me to a log on page and I have to log on all the time when I come to Lawnsite. What happened to the old way? Is this another bug to fix?

plsoucy
08-13-2000, 11:52 AM
Could you please give me the URL of an example page so I can test?

Thanks!

Pierre-Luc

I don't get the regular page of all the forums now. It takes me to a log on page and I have to log on all the time when I come to Lawnsite. What happened to the old way? Is this another bug to fix?

mowerconsultant
08-13-2000, 11:54 AM
the speed and the overall forum change is great !!!
thanks Chuck, you have done it again !!

Eric ELM
08-13-2000, 12:03 PM
The main page, that normally came up at http://www.lawnsite.com isn't coming up. It gives us a log on page and a scrollable list below of the forums instead.

plsoucy
08-13-2000, 12:32 PM
I don't have that problem...

Could you please post a screenshot so I can try to figure out what may cause it?

Thanks!

Pierre-Luc

Eric ELM
08-13-2000, 12:53 PM
http://lawnsite.com/index.php this is the page it brings up when I go to Lawnsite.com I have chatted with others that are getting the same page. Not sure what you mean my posting a screen shot. Explain and I'll try.

plsoucy
08-13-2000, 01:09 PM
Lawnsite.com redirects to lawnsite.com/index.php automatically?

I don't really get what you mean; that's why I'd like a screenshot ;)

simply press windows (the key on your keyboard) and print scrn (should be another key on your keyboard) at the same time and go paste the image in an editor... then upload the image to a webserver and post a link to it.

As example, here you can see what I get at lawnsite.com/index.php : http://lawnsite.com/images/1200.gif

Pierre-Luc

TGCummings
08-13-2000, 01:21 PM
Unbelievable, my friends. Even posting and returning to forums is lightning-quick. That was always the slowest part for me. You guys have done a bee-you-tee-ful job!

Be proud!

-TGC

GroundKprs
08-13-2000, 01:23 PM
P-L:
could be a problem with their cookies. I deleted my lawnsite cookie and got similar result.

Eric ELM
08-13-2000, 01:55 PM
vBulletin Message
You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
You are not logged in. Fill in the form at the bottom of this page and try again.
You do not have permission to access the page that you were trying to. Are you trying to edit someone else's post or trying to access administrative features? Check that you are allowed to perform this action in the Forum Rules.
If you are trying to post, to administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
To log in, fill in the form below:

Username: Password:

The administrator may have required you to register before you can view this page. Forgotten your password?

I must be stupid. I can't even find a Windows Key. I know where the Print Screen key is and I think the Windows key is the one between Alt and Ctrl keys. But it doesn't do a thing when I hit both. I'll take a digital if I have to, but this is what this page says on it. It must look familiar to you. Do you still need a picture of it?

plsoucy
08-13-2000, 02:04 PM
Yeah I have a better idea now but I'm still not sure on how to solve it.

Have you deleted your cookies once? Are you on tel. or cable internet? When you log in, what happens? Does it generate cookies when you log in? Does it do it every time or only once?

BTW, it takes the screenshot, but it's in the computer's memory... you must paste it in paint or any other image editing software to save it. However, I don't think I really need it now.

Pierre-Luc

vBulletin Message
You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
You are not logged in. Fill in the form at the bottom of this page and try again.
You do not have permission to access the page that you were trying to. Are you trying to edit someone else's post or trying to access administrative features? Check that you are allowed to perform this action in the Forum Rules.
If you are trying to post, to administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
To log in, fill in the form below:

Username: Password:

The administrator may have required you to register before you can view this page. Forgotten your password?

I must be stupid. I can't even find a Windows Key. I know where the Print Screen key is and I think the Windows key is the one between Alt and Ctrl keys. But it doesn't do a thing when I hit both. I'll take a digital if I have to, but this is what this page says on it. It must look familiar to you. Do you still need a picture of it?

Eric ELM
08-13-2000, 02:13 PM
I haven't deleted the cookies. I'm on telephone still, but tomorrow I get DSL hooked up. The page you posted a link to is what I'm now missing. Everyone I've chatted with today has this problem. I don't have to log in even though I get that page. I can go down to the bottom and scroll down the Lawn Forum and get to the lawn forum. It used to say Moderator below my name on my replies, it now says Senior member. Does this help at all?

Eric ELM
08-13-2000, 02:20 PM
I just noticed if I click on Eric ELM by Moderated by: it takes me to the Log in Page too. Maybe this is a clue.

plsoucy
08-13-2000, 02:42 PM
Hi,

I just checked in the forum options and the bug doesn't seem to be there...

I think the forum was ok yesterday, right? Can you please tell me since when you have the bug?

Thanks!

Pierre-Luc

Eric ELM
08-13-2000, 02:55 PM
It worked when the forum first got moved. I had to do some things outside and when I came back in it started this. It worked fine when I posted this original message.

plsoucy
08-13-2000, 02:59 PM
So it doesn't work since when exactly? (if you have an idea...)

I'm currently wondering why it worked and stopped working... I sure may install the forum again but that would take time... It would be good to have an idea of when it stopped working so I can see what may have caused it...

Pierre-Luc

It worked when the forum first got moved. I had to do some things outside and when I came back in it started this. It worked fine when I posted this original message.

Eric ELM
08-13-2000, 03:21 PM
I posted at 2:30 Central time and then I came back in about 7 PM Central and it was like this. If it's working for others OK, it must be something with our computers. Anything I can check on this end? I've never had this problem before, so I don't know where to start looking. I haven't deleted the cookies. I don't have to log in each time and even though it takes me to the log in page. I can post without logging in, so the cookies has to be enabled. I hope you can figure this thing out. BTW, does it say Moderator below my posts on your screen? It says Administater below your name. I think it said Moderator below my name when I was posting until you turned on HTML last night. I need to keep a log. :)

Eric ELM
08-13-2000, 04:15 PM
The 2 other guys I chatted with about this problem that have the same problem both joined the same day I did, December 21st 1999. Did you put any parameters in on dates joined? I know Chuck was thinking that Lawnsite started on December 22nd or 23rd. Is this a possability? Probably not, but it's the best I can come up with. :)

Davis TLC
08-13-2000, 06:15 PM
Love the new format. The speed is great.

mowerman90
08-13-2000, 10:00 PM
Fast as a DC on steriods, love it. Keep up the good work.

plsoucy
08-13-2000, 11:08 PM
I will look at the bugs you submitted and do my best to solve them; however, it may take time as the forum script was designed for PHP3 and we're on PHP4 (some adjustments needed thus), which makes it 10x faster... so no way we'll go back to PHP3 ;)

I won't make any changes tonight as this is a "peak" period. I will rather do it tomorrow when most people here will be working, so if I have to close the forum for some modifs, it will affect users a lot less.

Pierre-Luc

plsoucy
08-14-2000, 02:40 PM
I just succeeded in making all apostrophes and backslash problems go away*!

I'll check for the other problems soon.

Pierre-Luc

*For those interested in the technical part, I disabled PHP4's auto-addslashes function by adding <i>php_flag magic_quotes_gpc off</i> to the .htaccess file.

plsoucy
08-14-2000, 03:58 PM
That problem should now be solved!

Please try and tell me what happens.

Thanks!

Pierre-Luc

The 2 other guys I chatted with about this problem that have the same problem both joined the same day I did, December 21st 1999. Did you put any parameters in on dates joined? I know Chuck was thinking that Lawnsite started on December 22nd or 23rd. Is this a possability? Probably not, but it's the best I can come up with. :)

Eric ELM
08-14-2000, 04:08 PM
Lawnsite is working for me now, you fixed it Pierre. Thanks a lot, you did good. :)

plsoucy
08-14-2000, 04:17 PM
Nice! :)

If you find any other bugs, please report them to me; I'll do my best to solve them the fastest possible.

Pierre-Luc

Lawnsite is working for me now, you fixed it Pierre. Thanks a lot, you did good. :)