PDA

View Full Version : Equipment photos

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

meets1
03-09-2011, 01:14 PM
Neat stuff! What that crane run ya?

I had a job like this 3 yrs ago at a hospital court yard. We did the same thing. I think I was charged $125.00 / hour. Block, fill, saws, tampers.

Maybe thats the next "toy"!!

JDavisLandscapes
03-09-2011, 01:16 PM
Really cool project Jarod. What did you have the crane operator lift you up to take that last picture? lol

etwman
03-09-2011, 01:21 PM
Yeah, exactly what I tell the employees not to do. Do as I say, not as I do.

P.Services
03-09-2011, 01:29 PM
Did you guys buy the zahn? Your guys won't want to go back to the dingo now.
Posted via Mobile Device

etwman
03-09-2011, 08:57 PM
No we barrowed it from another company because our dingo was on another site. I haven't even talked to the guys to see how they like it, but its gone now.

etwman
03-09-2011, 09:04 PM
On another note 'ol dear John from Eagle Landscape has put a bug in my ear that he's returning to Dayton Ohio for a great one day marketing and sales symposium put on by Marty Grunder. James Gilliland is hitching a ride with me and there'll be some others there as well. Another great opportunity to grow your business through sales techniques.

This one is a little different in the fact that it'll be more intimate with only 30 people. I'm coming in Thursday late afternoon on Thursday the 24th, with the symposium all day Friday. Its open to landscape contractors only and will fine tune your sales process. Anxious to see what Marty has to say as i've never been dissappointed. If its half as good as GROW a month ago, it'll be worth every cent.

If you want to fine tune your process this would be a great Friday to make it happen, plus another good networking experience!

etwman
03-09-2011, 09:36 PM
Heres a good quote quote from Marty on the symposium:

"Listen; let me get right to the point. If there's a better person at teaching sales to Green Industry Sales Professionals, tell me who that is. I will put my personal record and the past successes of the firms I have worked with up against anyone else's. If you attend, you'll earn your investment in the symposium back in the first 2 weeks you sell when you get back. Trust me; my stuff works!"

He's not joking on this. And for all of you that whined and kicked yourself in the but for not going to GROW, here's your chance to redeem yourself and not have to kick yourself in the other cheek.

EagleLandscape
03-10-2011, 07:12 AM
Yup, myself and our Director of Business Development will be there. Thoroughly excited to be apart of another great conference put on by Marty.

Great pictures there. Looking forward to the warm weather in Dayton, maybe we can go for a jog in the morning (if we figure out which hotel we are supposed to be in). :)

AintNoFun
03-10-2011, 08:55 AM
Yup, myself and our Director of Business Development will be there.

boy thats a fancy title, lol

etwman
03-10-2011, 09:20 AM
John's a fancy guy. For a nominal fee he could probably come up with one for you.

AintNoFun
03-10-2011, 09:30 AM
John's a fancy guy. For a nominal fee he could probably come up with one for you.

no thanks, no positions available we need titles created for... im just curious how many people does the director of biz development direct?

ohiogreenworks
03-10-2011, 08:44 PM
Yup, myself and our Director of Business Development will be there. Thoroughly excited to be apart of another great conference put on by Marty.

Great pictures there. Looking forward to the warm weather in Dayton, maybe we can go for a jog in the morning (if we figure out which hotel we are supposed to be in). :)

You should be thoroughly impressed with the great weather Dayton has to offer :laugh:

ClearViewGroup
03-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Like so many before me I stumbled on this thread when I was bored the other day, I spend most of my time in the Heavy Equipment forum..needless to say boredom has not been a problem for the last 227 pages and roughly 7 hours..

Jarod, you sir are an inspiration. The work that your company turns out and the changes that I witnessed from 10 years of growth in the 7 hour period of reading this thread was astounding. Keep up the good work and carry on!

Ryan

RhinoL&L
03-11-2011, 08:20 PM
Jarod,
Sounds like Ill be seeing you along with a bunch of other familiar faces here in a couple weeks! I am looking forward to some more of that grunder goodness haha!

AppomattoxRiverLandscapes
03-11-2011, 09:22 PM
AHHHHH! I so want to come and hear Marty so bad, but I simply can't afford to come up there. However I am ordering the CD's from the GROW 2011 conference and I plan on attending next year. You guys have fun and please don't be to hard on us who are not able to be there!

EagleLandscape
03-11-2011, 10:28 PM
no thanks, no positions available we need titles created for... im just curious how many people does the director of biz development direct?

I'll let that question keep you up all night long wondering the answer..

Here is my question... Would you rather buy landscape services from someone with the title "Director of Business Development" or "Salesman."

Above "Director", we have "Vice President of Business Development."

Appearance and delivery is EVERYTHING.

Jarod has this game beat by a longshot with what he does.

KrayzKajun
03-11-2011, 10:33 PM
one of my favorite threads. Jarod yall are an inspiration.

old oak lawn
03-11-2011, 10:56 PM

Here is my question... Would you rather buy landscape services from someone with the title "Director of Business Development" or "Salesman."

Sounds like a old spin to make something sound greater then it is. In the end the customer thinks they are special because the talked to someone HI UP in your company when in reality they met your salesman. If it works that's what matters, all customers are special as long as they are spending $ but IMO your salesman's title sounds misleading.

etwman
03-12-2011, 10:26 AM
I believe hes doing it more for the reason that he want to know that his creations are maintained to the level he built them to. After reading his posts about this I don't think this is a division that he wants to grow into a large maintenance division hes kind of being pushed into it in order to keep current clients happy.

You know here's the interesting thing with our GROW division and I continue to learn everyday. 5 years ago I sat down with collegues that said to me, "you are too narrow minded with high end design/build. The market won't substantiate it. You're limiting yourself too much."

If I'm wrong with this GROW division in 5 years. I'll put $100 bill in your hand. Let's leave it at that.

AintNoFun
03-12-2011, 10:33 AM

but is your company large enough were people are going to think that title is worth something. or is the direcetor of biz development going to be working on a job one day as a laborer because that would pretty much blow it? i can see your point somewhat though.

etwman
03-12-2011, 10:38 AM
I'll asure you John's company is big enough. I know this first hand. His Director of Business Develoment doesn't run a weedwacker.

jg244888
03-12-2011, 12:19 PM
You know here's the interesting thing with our GROW division and I continue to learn everyday. 5 years ago I sat down with collegues that said to me, "you are too narrow minded with high end design/build. The market won't substantiate it. You're limiting yourself too much."

If I'm wrong with this GROW division in 5 years. I'll put $100 bill in your hand. Let's leave it at that.

Im not doubting you im sure youll be extremely succussful with this division. Im just saying to this ke-llc guy who seems so just be running his mouth.

EagleLandscape
03-12-2011, 07:15 PM

Jarod, we're excited about your new division GROW. I think it's going to be a great thing. Just one more way that ETW separates itself from the competition and keeps you as a Category of One company. Keep up the great work!

etwman
03-18-2011, 10:52 AM
Really cool interview with Seth Godin, owner of Chick-Filet.

http://vimeo.com/20290657

I love this quote from his clip:

"Leadership is about finding the right people, agreeing on where you want to go, and getting out of the way. Along the way embracing the failure of your people as it leads to growth. It means not knowing whatís going to happen tomorrow, just knowing itís going to take you where you want to go."

Enjoy.

syzer
03-18-2011, 11:14 AM

"Leadership is about finding the right people, agreeing on where you want to go, and getting out of the way. Along the way embracing the failure of your people as it leads to growth. It means not knowing whatís going to happen tomorrow, just knowing itís going to take you where you want to go."

Enjoy.

Thanks for sharing, awesome way to start the work day! It was great hearing what he had to say!

You might want to check out a book I just started reading last night and didn't want to put down "Selling Sunshine:75 Tips, Tools, and Tactics for Becoming a Wildly Successful Entrepreneur" by Tony Hartl

He started Planet Tan in 1995 and sold it 13 years later to retire at 41.

Schrock Lawns
03-18-2011, 09:12 PM
can anyone tell me what page his current setup is on

etwman
03-18-2011, 09:31 PM
Page 169 is probably the most recent. We have added some things since then but nothing major.

Schrock Lawns
03-18-2011, 11:03 PM
thanks etw

M RASCOE&SONS
03-19-2011, 11:03 AM

Enjoy.

i just spent the last hr watching videos of seth online and this guy is pretty darn good.i like this one "Seth Godin: Sliced bread and other marketing delights" ,it was on youtube with alot of other great videos of him.Thanks Jarod!!

etwman
03-19-2011, 11:25 AM
He is good. I'd like to try and go to a conference this year where he's speaking and hear him firsthand. I know of one last year he was at, but missed it.

EagleLandscape
03-19-2011, 11:52 AM
He is good. I'd like to try and go to a conference this year where he's speaking and hear him firsthand. I know of one last year he was at, but missed it.

He's got one in New York pretty soon. I believe the audience can ask questions and it is a stand-up performance type of deal.

http://sethgodinontheroad.ticketleap.com/seth-godin-live-in-new-york-city-poke-the-box/t/953e3b00289086274b88f4f5dba80559/

Capemay Eagle
03-19-2011, 11:56 AM
This thread is so stupid ... after 8 years and 224 pages just let it die !! Jealous? The man enjoys sharing his work with everyone, what's the problem?

etwman
03-22-2011, 09:05 AM
Dayton Ohio Friday is going to be like a reunion. Todd, James, Trey, Shawn, John, Julie, and the list goes on and on. This should be fun! See you all there for another good learning experience.

DeereHauler
03-22-2011, 03:04 PM
This thread is so stupid ... after 8 years and 224 pages just let it die !!

i can't help but notice that this thread started before you joined this site and now you have almost 5,000 posts on here, which tells me that you need a life. if you had a life you wouldn't care whats in other posts, so get lost. If you don't like something, don't read it.

RhinoL&L
03-22-2011, 09:57 PM
Dayton Ohio Friday is going to be like a reunion. Todd, James, Trey, Shawn, John, Julie, and the list goes on and on. This should be fun! See you all there for another good learning experience.

I must agree, I am looking forward to seeing everyone again and cant wait to hear what marty has for us!

Jarod, do you have any plans for breakfast on friday? feel free to call or email me if you like, I am driving over friday morning, but would love to grab a bite with you, todd, john and the others!

EagleLandscape
03-24-2011, 06:59 AM
I must agree, I am looking forward to seeing everyone again and cant wait to hear what marty has for us!

Jarod, do you have any plans for breakfast on friday? feel free to call or email me if you like, I am driving over friday morning, but would love to grab a bite with you, todd, john and the others!

Snowcones for breakfast, courtesy of outside.

Don't eat the yellow snow...

wurkn with amish
03-24-2011, 10:12 AM
welcome to ohio!

etwman
03-26-2011, 09:32 AM
Returned last night from a great sales and marketing symposium in Dayton with Marty. I counted 8 others there from this site. Another phenominal insight as to method to really grow your business. Marty does an incredible job and putting the obvious right there in front of us, encouraging, and sending us all on our way with great notes and gameplans to make our companies better.

I had the pleasure of meeting Brian Dennis from Picasso Services, who is a very intelligent business owner. In addition to Brian, James Gilliland, Trey Giralid, John Wingfield, Chris Pasko, Shawn Rine, Todd Thomasson, and many others were present as well.

I invited James and Todd to fly out with me and we had some great pre and post conversations at 10,000 feet, re-confirming general aviation is the way to go.

Once again, if you have never had the experience of hearing Marty you are really missing out on a key element that will help you grow your business.

Maybe some of the others will post some pics fromt the day.

Here's to a great 2011!

T Scapes
03-26-2011, 09:31 PM
very exceptional work did you ever get any pictures of that cat you used for a month i wanna say it was a 287C if i remember right and have you ever done any work in the west chester area?

EagleLandscape
03-27-2011, 12:06 AM
Absolutely wonderful time again with Marty Grunder on Friday. Great seeing Jarod and the others there.

Here is a photo of myself, my Director of Business Development Julie, and Jarod of course!

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=216143&stc=1&d=1301195038

Taneli
03-27-2011, 12:38 AM
I am really jealous of the pics and comments that you post from your experiences with marty and the crew. I need to put some money aside this year to attend at least one of his symposiums next year

JDavisLandscapes
03-27-2011, 12:40 AM
Glad you guys had fun. Hope to make it out there in the near future. I look foward to it.

brian1425
04-11-2011, 01:14 PM
How are the projects coming along? My assumption is good and there has been no time to update your thread.

yardworks, inc.
04-15-2011, 05:22 PM
Etwman I was needing some info on marble paver installation. I was wondering how you handle the initial compaction. Also how you make sure your joints are filled without the use of a compactor. Thanks for any info.

etwman
04-15-2011, 05:30 PM
I would not pre or post compact travertine that is 1" thick. It's too brittle and you are setting yourself up for issues.

yardworks, inc.
04-15-2011, 08:20 PM
Thanks, also what kind of edge restraint do use with the thinner pavers? The marble pavers are 1 in. thick.

etwman
04-16-2011, 04:38 PM
The same place you would buy travertine from should have a low profile edge restraint you could buy also.

barney14
04-16-2011, 07:17 PM
ETW any new pics of projects? :canadaflag:

EagleLandscape
04-16-2011, 08:13 PM
Solar powered bedding plants? Que paso?

yardworks, inc.
04-20-2011, 11:22 AM
On the pool area in your previous post where you used the travertine, what was the thickness? Also someone had told me to compact the bedding sand, I have never heard of this. Also on the joist, did you use polymeric or regular sand. The reason I have the questions is I have heard several different opinions on this subject. The manufacturer says to use a half inch of sand, but also states to follow icpi standards. Any issues with compacting close to a concrete pool? The general on the job had some worries when I told him the compaction I would need. I know you are busy and I appreciate any other info you might have. Thanks again.

etwman
04-21-2011, 04:55 PM
Okay hereís a potluck of spring 2011 pictures, we are incredibly busy. Iím out of trucks, out of seats, and holding on for a wild ride this year. Iíll post four different projects right in a row here.

First project, outdoor kitchen, patio, pool house. Techo-Bloc product. Once again outdoor kitchens are extremely time consuming to do right. Grill, burner, fridge, pull out trash, cabinetry, utilities, etc. Make sure you estimate your time correctly or you will lose your shirt.

Second, really neat post and beam house. Front walk, back patio, pond/falls under construction behind back patio. Future post and beam pergola will go up soon. Neat landscape to go in and lighting.

Third project. We returned to a pool project we did last year to finish out the outdoor kitchen and fireplace. It is not uncommon for us to bury footers for each, return later to lift pavers, and go up with the second or third phase.

Fourth project, work continues at the historical property down by the river. Weíve been there for about a year now and will continue for the next few months. Really neat restoration project. House is over 200 years old.

Looking for some good insight this spring? Marty Grunder is having another good webinar on Sales and Marketing Strategies on April 28th, thatís next Thursday from 4 to 5:15. Great info as always from Marty and you can go to his website to register. On another cool note, and the date will be determined soon. John Wingfield (Eagle Landscape), Todd Thomasson (Rock Water Farms), Marty and I will be doing a free webinar on a cool topic. This will be one you wonít want to miss. Iíll get details to you as they evolve.

Have a great spring everyone!

etwman
04-21-2011, 04:57 PM
Here's the rest of the 2nd project and the two of the 3rd project.

etwman
04-21-2011, 04:59 PM
A few of the historical property we've been working at, and yes that is an all glass kitchen that will overlook the river.....pretty cool. We're pretty much responsible for everything outside.

yardworks, inc.
04-21-2011, 10:45 PM
Thanks again for the info the other day. Putting the numbers together and will be bidding the job Monday. Whenever the kitchen on the historical house is done post some pics. We have a seismic code here that almost prevents any all glass walls like that, it should look pretty amazing. Glad to see your busy, and thanks again.

rlmlandscape
04-21-2011, 10:46 PM
I must say I cannot get enough of looking at this thread. Your projects are incredible, being a landscape architecture student I think its great with what you do with all these properties. Definitly not the cookie cutter backyard by and means. I cant wait to see what the historic house turns out to look like, I'm very intrigued and what the end product will look like.

yardworks, inc.
04-21-2011, 10:51 PM
I see you use Stabila levels (outdoor kitchen photo), they are the best around. A bit pricey but dead on. Sola levels are another great choice if you can get them in your area.

a&jlandscaping
04-21-2011, 10:57 PM
Very nice work

meets1
04-21-2011, 11:15 PM
The historical house looks great - it is really neat when the landscaper knows how to incorporate todays landscape with yesterdays looks.

As always - great pictures and neat designs!

yardworks, inc.
04-24-2011, 10:45 PM
Is your Cat a 252, if so how does it do moving pallets of block? Sold my Bobcat T200 and looking at doing what you did. The cost of a wheeled skid and getting the VTS seem to be a much better option than a new track machine. My friend just bought a new 333D Deere, its nice, but the price tag is just way too much.

PerfectEarth
04-24-2011, 10:51 PM
Awesome projects, as always. Can't wait to see the landscape around the post n beam home... really love that look.

PlatinumLandCon
04-24-2011, 11:06 PM
Stuff looks great, interested in the webinar!

bcomstock15
05-09-2011, 12:53 AM
As many of you, im very inspired by many of the companies on here, i realize this is a post for etwmans photos and company, and i hope im not stepping on toes here but it seems like the perfect place to ask for some advice on my business, as there are so many experts actively communicating here.

my business is mostly maintenance at the moment (seems like most people start here..) we work for condo complexes, have about 9 guys, and little organization IMO, and lack efficiency hugely. I live and breath this business and getting it on track, i've taken it over from my father (sort of.. :s) and am working on (somewhat successfully) breaking old habits, making new systems, etc. we're on the right track, but i'd like to speed it up, learn from others etc.

my biggest issue right now IMO is getting accurate numbers (hour/expense tracking etc) i'm really interested in what software people are using, and what types of systems your using day to day to keep track of hours, expenses, etc. Our scheduling is basically done the night before a lot of the times (crazy weather fluctuations here..) We do lawn maintenance, but also get random calls for things to be done same day, so the guys are often re-routed in between jobs, or if they get rained out theres some random jobs for them to occupy the remainder of their day.

So i'd just like some advice on what types of systems you use for tracking their hours, expenses, etc.

Thank You, good luck this season! (ours is just starting up here :)) :canadaflag:

yardworks, inc.
05-19-2011, 05:18 PM
What company are you using for your stainless cabinet inserts?

brian1425
06-02-2011, 09:48 AM
etwman - what has the response been to your new division? What are your thoughts/insights now that you are a couple months into the launch?

etwman
06-24-2011, 11:39 AM
New division is growing slow, but growing and I'm fine with that. Growth takes time.

On another note. Big shout out to Benton and Ryan Foret for making the front cover of Lawn and Landscape this month. Good friends who I have alot of respect for. Really neat story that everyone should read.

etwman
08-11-2011, 03:29 PM
It's been a while since I posted and wanted to give some updates. We are continuing to witness another growth year, as it will be our 12 season. Our projects continue to get more involved, we learn more, and get better and better at what we do.

High end design build involves so many different elements to manage correctly. Clients have dates they want everything finished and things need to run smoothly. There is a tremendous amount of behind the scenes work that takes place, in addition to helping the client understand the scope of the project. I talk more about this in an upcoming interview in Lawn and Landscape magazine. Its interesting, as much as you try and educate the client on how big these projects truly are, there's always a stress element that becomes apparent until things really begin to take shape. It seems to go from excitment to stress back to excitment over the course of several months.

New additions? We just purchased a new Kubota U35 mini excavator. We looked hard at CAT, Deere, and Kubota. Kubota has a tremendous machine, with power angle dozer blade, fully two year warranty, and several other neat features.

I could attach quite a few pics but will focus on just one project. It involves alot of natural stone, pool, fireplace, pool house, landscape, lighting, techo-bloc pool deck and a few other things. Should be done in another month or two.

Trust all is well with everyone. Enjoy your summer.

etwman
08-11-2011, 03:33 PM
Second batch, which includes a pic of the new Kubota.

Bird21
08-11-2011, 04:08 PM
Second batch, which includes a pic of the new Kubota.

You will love the Kubota. I have a KX191 and U45 and neither one every sits a day. Breakdowns minimal. I see you got the thumb you will use that all the time. Enjoy
Posted via Mobile Device

Puddle of Oil
08-11-2011, 05:12 PM
It took me like 10 hours to skim through this thread. Very nice work!

M RASCOE&SONS
08-11-2011, 06:12 PM
the work looks awesome as always!!that is one nice kubota and the thumb will come in real handy.have you seen the articulating set up that bobcat has for the mini exes,so you can pick up a rock and it allows you to put it at different angles(for slopes etc)?

PerfectEarth
08-11-2011, 11:03 PM
Excellent as always. Top notch. What a beautiful setting for that pool and outdoor living area.

Do you guys do the actual pool installs?

clc2003
08-13-2011, 01:47 PM
Etw, what do u think of ur cat loader by now. I just sold my bobcat T190 due to some mech. Issues and was lookin for a cat 257b2. To be real honest it is getting harder and harder to find a nice used loader right now. I have now decided to buy a wheeled loader since I don't do much landscaping. But I def. Notice the Loegering track set up on a lot of Cats. I thought this might be something for me. I know u dont due much snow removal but I was curious if u have used yours in snow and if so how well it works. And I was also wondering if that setup has roller suspension like the cat/ASV or not. Thanks for any help
Posted via Mobile Device

T Scapes
08-14-2011, 05:10 PM
Kubota looks real nice where did you get it if you dont mind me asking

RLS24
08-14-2011, 05:43 PM
Very nice as always! I just did my first hardscape project this weekend, just a small decorative boarder wall and wow I have a whole new respect for what you guys do!

etwman
08-16-2011, 04:26 PM
The VTS is a solid track system that requires little to no maintenance. We don't use it in snow, as we put the tires back on. The CAT's have been fine for the most part.

Bought the Kubota through Hoober Inc.

Here's a few other shots of a project that is now finished with the kitchen.

SharperImage
08-16-2011, 04:40 PM
looks good. nice work

Showpropserv
08-16-2011, 05:36 PM
looks good. nice work

understatement of the year! hey etw any new pics of that pool, house fireplace install. Keep it up:drinkup:

cookslandscaping18
08-16-2011, 10:05 PM
great work. Some of the best landscaping I have seen looking through your thread. I would love to work for a company like yours just to learn how you guys create this master pieces. great work keep it up.

old oak lawn
08-16-2011, 10:28 PM
understatement of the year! hey etw any new pics of that pool, house fireplace install. Keep it up:drinkup:

He said it look good, would you have been happy if he said it was the best looking thing he had ever seen in his life ???

bobcat48
08-17-2011, 09:18 PM
Love this thread,you guys do very nice work..it all looks great!

ironchef66
08-18-2011, 07:50 PM
Amazing Work!!!! have read through the entire thread... i suggest it to many... Anyways Mr. Etw how do your guys like that dingo has it performed to your expectations?

xjjeepman1
08-30-2011, 02:46 PM
Great thread took awhile to read but worth it, subscribed

xjjeepman1
08-30-2011, 02:47 PM
Btw love the name were you influenced by Earth Wind and Fire? :D

etwman
09-06-2011, 06:29 PM
I'll get back to the one under construction as the sod just went down. Here's our other one that is under construction. A pool will sit down below with a vanishing edge.

Side note: I'm taking 6 of my staff to Marty Grunder's Fieldtrips in October where you see his entire operation of a well established landscape company. I know he's offering another one this fall. I would highly reccomend them.

Jelinek61
09-06-2011, 06:39 PM
Nice work as usual. Some of the homes you do work for are amazing. Looks like the thing to do is buy a chunk of farm land and build a mansion on it.

jg244888
09-06-2011, 09:15 PM
everything look incredibe you have a top notch opperation. Have read the entire thread multiple times

etwman
09-07-2011, 03:47 PM
I haven't given many business thoughts for awhile so I thought I would table one. Once again, solely my opinion but it will make you think. Over the years I met and have some great friendships with landscape company owners from around the country. Alot of these guys are very successful, running multi-million dollar companies. I was driving today, looking down at the odometer on my 2006 GMC and it has 125,000 miles on it and runs great. I got to thinking about some of these peers and what they drive. I would venture to say that the majority of my friends (probably 95%) who are in ownership roles like me, drive vehicles with over 100k miles on them and are several years old. Marty Grunder is closing in on 300k miles on his Toyota!

What does that tell you? Well for one it tell me that you don't need a brand new shiny vehicle to be successful as an owner of a landscape company. Maintenace and a bucket of soapy water works great! Secondly it tells me that these guys work very hard for what they have, not that others don't, but the miles aren't there from trips to the shore and back on the weekends.

Bottom line: For those of you entering into the landscape arena, thinking that $60k brand new pickup on the lot is a necessity, might want to rethink that. I'm not saying that you never purchase a new vehicle, but to start out with one or trade it in every two years, I just don't think is worth it. Take it for what its worth and spend the money wisely. Every company vehicle I own now has over 100k miles on it and guess what.....they make just as much money as a new one would.

Enjoy your fall everyone!

Swampy
09-07-2011, 05:16 PM
Bottom line: For those of you entering into the landscape arena, thinking that $60k brand new pickup on the lot is a necessity, might want to rethink that. I'm not saying that you never purchase a new vehicle, but to start out with one or trade it in every two years, I just don't think is worth it. Take it for what its worth and spend the money wisely. Every company vehicle I own now has over 100k miles on it and guess what.....they make just as much money as a new one would.

Enjoy your fall everyone!

I'd have to agree with that, I just upgraded from a 94 Dodge that had 198K on it. It started to burn coolent and oil, needed a whole new exhaust system to it, and started to show its age with rust. Personally I would have just drove it into the ground but keeping it around would have costed more than what it would have been worth. I upgraded to a 98 Chevy with a diesel motor for $5,500, I looked at it the diesel granted fuel costs more, but I can stay out plowing longer. No flash, never put to much into accessories other than a weather radio, and looking upgrade to a different light bar (I don't like the rotator on top of it) But no strobes in the grill or tail lights.

deere615
09-07-2011, 09:16 PM
Agreed both my trucks are well over 100k and I am looking for 2 more usually I look for trucks that have about 75-125k miles and not beat

eastcoastjessee
09-08-2011, 12:18 PM
Great thread...

I really like the bluestone step treads and have been wanting to use them if the right project comes along. I've built some steps with cut sandstone treads and installed them on an impromptu pier system so that we could use straps to install them. Is this what i can see under the bottom step? Or what is the gap?

Thanks for the inspiration.

etwman
09-08-2011, 12:30 PM
CMU block to make them easier to set.

Attached are a couple pics of our indoor and outdoor display we worked on over the last few years at a local store.

KrayzKajun
09-08-2011, 12:51 PM
im speechless!!! that is beautiful work!!!

eatonpcat
09-08-2011, 01:45 PM
Beautiful work...

What kind of camera do you use???

jg244888
09-08-2011, 05:15 PM
Looks great!! Over the many times ive read this thread ive taken out the parts that i felt were the most meaningfull mabe someone here can use them.

etwman
09-09-2011, 10:26 AM
I seriously wrote all that?

ny scaper
09-09-2011, 11:00 AM
Not that you need telling, but your work, attitude, way you go about running your business is impressive to say the least. You know what you want and go get it. Congratulations.

jg244888
09-09-2011, 12:45 PM
I seriously wrote all that?

Yes you did!! Theres actually much more but i only took out the parts I thought would be most helpfull for when i start my business in the spring. Thank You!!!!!

etwman
09-10-2011, 05:43 PM
Every once in a while in oneís career something happens that puts a smile on your face and makes you say, ďmaybe this is all worth the effort.Ē All the hard work to grow the company is paying off. As the company grew I have sought the advice from a lot of peers and Marty Grunder who has helped it get to where it is today. I would encourage you as yours grows to do the same because over time you will realize that you donít know everything there is to know about the landscape industry, and if you think you do you are going to fall flat on your face. You have to rely on the advice from others to help you grow.

Two days ago I saw the September issue of Lawn and Landscape Magazine. To be on the front cover and feature is truly an honor. In a humble way, thank you to all my mentors, friends, and staff who over the years who have helped us get to where we are today. You all know who you are and we wouldn't be where we are without you.

jg244888
09-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Congratulations on the cover you should be proud!! Whats in the Dream Builder Workbook?

etwman
09-10-2011, 06:15 PM
A 60 page workbook that we developed internally over the past 4 years that takes our clients through the who process on planning through implementation. It really educates our clients and we hold this thing very close to us.

JFGauvreau
09-10-2011, 11:33 PM
Those are some very nice projects Thumbs Up

jg244888
09-14-2011, 10:42 PM
How did you go from doing lawns to stonework did you hire a mason to teach you or take classes etc.... also are the any books other that category of one that you recommend.
Thanks

etwman
09-15-2011, 09:03 AM
Simple: You hire people that bring incredible talent to the company to help you grow. They have the same passion as you do and bring a wealth of knowldege with them. As an owner, you will never be capable of knowing everything there is to know about field production and internal administration. If you think you can, good luck, you'll never grow to the point at which you'll want too and/or you'll micromanage people right out of your company.

The key is to hire the right people, empower, encourage, and grow together towards a common goal.

T Scapes
09-15-2011, 12:05 PM
hey etw when you looked at mini excavators did you look at the kubota kx57 was just wondering your impressions of that machine if you looked at it

etwman
09-15-2011, 12:14 PM
I didn't. We wanted a zero tail swing that we could still haul on a 10-12k gvw trailer.

TGM
09-15-2011, 01:27 PM
etw, what would you recommend (in any sort of business) on doing to raise capital when you want to grow (or even start)? of course saving and paying cash is best, but there are times when you need $100k to grow your business. ..loans? investors?

PlatinumLandCon
09-15-2011, 01:53 PM
etw, what would you recommend (in any sort of business) on doing to raise capital when you want to grow (or even start)? of course saving and paying cash is best, but there are times when you need $100k to grow your business. ..loans? investors?

Unless you have an innovative product that can be mass produced, the typical green industry service business doesn't ever need a lump $100k. What would you potentially need that much cash for in a landscape biz?
Posted via Mobile Device

etwman
09-15-2011, 01:53 PM
You'd probably be amazed with a good business plan, defining your target market, some drive, and a small loan what you could accomplish in a couple years. I've witnessed it by many peers. I started this 12 years ago with a $15k loan from a bank, that's it. Be patient and grow it slowly.

Start up capital? Banks are one option, private investors another. While I haven't done it I have heard there are a chunk of small business grants out there. Usually with these you'll have a decent application fee for them but they can produce a 6 digit, non-repayable grant if you know where to look. I have had a couple of friends that have gotten them.

etwman
09-15-2011, 01:58 PM
Unless you have an innovative product that can be mass produced, the typical green industry service business doesn't ever need a lump $100k. What would you potentially need that much cash for in a landscape biz?
Posted via Mobile Device

I would kind of agree with that. Not to be negative, but that is a chunk of money to need upfront for startup. I guess if you are buying a building or something, maybe, but you don't need that much money in equipment to start up. Banks today are going to want collateral and a strong plan before lending money. Times have changed.

etwman
09-15-2011, 02:08 PM
http://lawnandlandscape.texterity.com/lawnandlandscape/201109#pg46

PlatinumLandCon
09-15-2011, 02:09 PM
I would kind of agree with that. Not to be negative, but that is a chunk of money to need upfront for startup. I guess if you are buying a building or something, maybe, but you don't need that much money in equipment to start up. Banks today are going to want collateral and a strong plan before lending money. Times have changed.

IMO, other than a truck, you should need a whole ton of stuff your first year. Keep liabilities small as you establish yourself. You're pretty much a nobody for at least 2-3 years so you can't plan on any long term revenue during that time. Once things roll and you're spending more annually on rent than cost of ownership on any given machine, it's time to start shopping around.
Posted via Mobile Device

T Scapes
09-15-2011, 06:10 PM
hey jarad i sent you a pm

PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC
09-17-2011, 10:58 PM
Awsome thread incredible work I will reread this this thred for a couple of months:)

bobcatmowingkid
09-18-2011, 07:33 PM
Just some pics of my truck and trailer,mower check out my stripe pics under the 2011 stripe thread im the bobcatmowingkid

etwman
09-19-2011, 09:08 AM
hey jarad i sent you a pm

I sent you an email.

TJ Property
09-19-2011, 09:15 AM
Amazing work! Very inspiring i would love to learn how to do work like that! Been a dream to create landscapes/hardscapes like that for a long time!

etwman
09-19-2011, 11:00 AM
As you grow your businesses, and I've mentioned this before, rely on friends for wisdom. Below are some good friends of mine, who made it to the front cover of L&L over the last year. I have the upmost respect for them and bounce ideas off them periodically.

EagleLandscape
09-21-2011, 06:41 AM
That last guy on Sales Ideas is one strange looking dude:)

Way to go Jarod, awesome!

Keep an eye out for my tips on hiring right coming to L&L in the next month or so.

etwman
09-21-2011, 11:55 AM
Cool John, looking forward to reading it.

This project is now complete, onto the next one.

SIWEL
09-21-2011, 12:50 PM
again, beautiful work.

To be honest with you I feel like I have to complement every one because everything you do is such top notch work. I am sure many others feel the same way.

eatonpcat
09-21-2011, 01:30 PM
again, beautiful work.

To be honest with you I feel like I have to complement every one because everything you do is such top notch work. I am sure many others feel the same way.

What he said!!!

jg244888
09-21-2011, 06:13 PM
looks great!!! is that wall dry stacked?

PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC
09-21-2011, 11:49 PM
This thread is a great example of Americans doing the impossible turning a dream to a very lucrative company.
This thread is funny to read the many so called "experts" try to sound smarter than Jarod who has been featured in many Lawn Magazines and from what ive read his suppliers use his work in there adds people listen up when he speaks.
2012 is a better year for you than 2011 I hope!:)

etwman
09-22-2011, 09:02 AM
As always I appreciate the kind words. But keep in mind I continue to learn each and every day to make the company better. As some of the start up companies look to us as an icon, so do I too more established companies. I had dinner the other night with a respectable peer and once again realized there's things that we can do better and more efficiently to take our company to the next level.

Never stop learning or growing and include your team.

In three weeks I'm taking my team of 7 people to go to Grunder Landscaping in Dayton for 2 two days for their field trip (which I would highly reccomend). Marty gives you an inside look at how a first class landscaping company is run and gives you all the trade secrets. You see the entire operation and you leave with a binder full of information. Its open to the public you just have to sign up on his website. At first I thought, oohhhh I could go by myself, write down a list of 40 things, come back and try and sell them to my staff and eventually incorporate them over the next few years. Then I said, you know what, I'm going to take them all with me. This way they all get to see the operation and we can learn together. Then when we return, and decide which things to implement here, we can fast track it and all be on the same page.

Did it cost more to do it this way? Absolutely. But I really believe the benefit will outweigh the costs.

Tip for the day, and I almost can say this enough. You are not going to row the boat by yourself. Take your team with you and together grow a great company.

PS - Hard to believe this thread is almost 9 years old. I remember when this site was just a small dinky thing without advertisments, etc. This has got to be one of the older threads on here.

PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC
09-22-2011, 09:14 AM
As always I appreciate the kind words. But keep in mind I continue to learn each and every day to make the company better. As some of the start up companies look to us as an icon, so do I too more established companies. I had dinner the other night with a respectable peer and once again realized there's things that we can do better and more efficiently to take our company to the next level.

Never stop learning or growing and include your team.

In three weeks I'm taking my team of 7 people to go to Grunder Landscaping in Dayton for 2 two days for their field trip (which I would highly reccomend). Marty gives you an inside look at how a first class landscaping company is run and gives you all the trade secrets. You see the entire operation and you leave with a binder full of information. Its open to the public you just have to sign up on his website. At first I thought, oohhhh I could go by myself, write down a list of 40 things, come back and try and sell them to my staff and eventually incorporate them over the next few years. Then I said, you know what, I'm going to take them all with me. This way they all get to see the operation and we can learn together. Then when we return, and decide which things to implement here, we can fast track it and all be on the same page.

Did it cost more to do it this way? Absolutely. But I really believe the benefit will outweigh the costs.

Tip for the day, and I almost can say this enough. You are not going to row the boat by yourself. Take your team with you and together grow a great company.

PS - Hard to believe this thread is almost 9 years old. I remember when this site was just a small dinky thing without advertisments, etc. This has got to be one of the older threads on here.

Its a good one though:)
No one stops learning I just it was funny that you would post pictures of a huge 7 figure job then people would ask you if the base was dirt or stone.:laugh:

etwman
09-22-2011, 09:17 AM
I know, and I'm not harping on people, but I come back to what I said in L&L. Do what you are good at, find your passion, stay focused, dig in and go. Educate yourself along the way and try not to be a master of everything.

The interesting thing with this thread is that I'll be at a conference half way accross the country and complete strangers will come up to me and say I read this thread. I'm a small landscape company in Denver, PA and this thread is buried amongst millions of threads. Just goes to show the power of the internet I suppose.

ny scaper
09-22-2011, 10:36 AM
What the trip will cost you to take the whole team to OH will pay for itself tenfold with there loyalty and hard work for you.
I've held several jobs where the top players were always hush hush. (actually have one right now) And I'm talking about everything, even petty little meaningless things. Like they dont want you to know anything and just be a little minion. Its annoying and shows peoples true colors.
The fact you include your team on your business' growth speaks volumes about you.

tnmtn
09-26-2011, 03:13 PM
Jarod,
Congrats on the Lawn and Landscape article. I look forward to reading it. again, thank you for a great thread.

jg244888
09-26-2011, 08:22 PM
Hi ETW two questions
in the first pic what is the patio material called?
and the second pic what are those fire with waterpouring fountains called and from?
Thanks

etwman
10-06-2011, 01:06 PM
1. Travertine with is a natural stone from Turkey, available in an array of colors.

2. Firebowls. There are dozens of different varities on line you can chose from.

willretire@40
10-12-2011, 10:39 PM
Did that Marty class already happen?

etwman
10-16-2011, 10:05 PM
Yes we went last Thurs and Friday. He offers these field trips every summer and fall. Incredible time to learn and grow as a team for 2011. I took 6 of my staff with me, and while it wasn't a cheap outing, it was worth every cent. If you don't invest in your team and the future, it'll pass you by. We spend a substantial amount of money each year in training and development, which I honestly do believe is directly attributing to our growth.

Here are just a couple pics of our great experience. Face it, where else are you going to go and get a very close first hand look at a $5M landscape company? ......hello? (Crickets chirping), yea I didn't think so.

P.Services
10-16-2011, 10:12 PM
any one know what those 4 plastic drums with the down spouts contain?

wish he would have sent me a email, i would have went.

etwman
10-16-2011, 10:16 PM
Seed, fert, snapshot, etc.

Funny I didn't even know who was coming and ironically John and Trey were there. I find out John Wingfield is coming when his plane lands in Dayton and I'm in communication with John on a regular basis. Go Figure.

willretire@40
10-16-2011, 10:27 PM
I really want to go to GROW 2012 but my child is due to be born Feb 6th.

etwman
10-16-2011, 10:30 PM
There are hospitals in Dayton.

P.Services
10-16-2011, 10:31 PM
There are hospitals in Dayton.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

willretire@40
10-16-2011, 11:34 PM
Thanks etwman. Lol. Leave my wife when she is due.......i would never here the end of that.

P.Services
10-16-2011, 11:35 PM
thats not what he was saying.... he was implying you take her with you....

etwman
10-17-2011, 03:29 PM
Another one of our spring projects we just photographed.

willretire@40
10-17-2011, 04:58 PM
What is your main job at your company? Meaning what do you go to work to do everyday?

etwman
10-17-2011, 05:18 PM
I'm the owner of a company.....can I leave it at that?

I'm in the office everyday working on sales, estimating, and marketing and whatever else needs done.

willretire@40
10-17-2011, 05:38 PM
Ok. I just see you have a nice size team so i figured you did not go in the field much but did little sales meaning you have a lead sales guy.

To me it seems that when you get to a certain size and have great management then as the owner you help where you are needed but your main focus should be making the company grow and watching the numbers so that you stay profitable. Which includes doing research and going to seminars and such. Is that right or wrong?

meets1
10-17-2011, 10:09 PM
ETW - nice work as usual! Your bossman so do whatever it is you gotta do cuz its lookiing good!

etwman
10-18-2011, 12:37 PM
Ok. I just see you have a nice size team so i figured you did not go in the field much but did little sales meaning you have a lead sales guy.

To me it seems that when you get to a certain size and have great management then as the owner you help where you are needed but your main focus should be making the company grow and watching the numbers so that you stay profitable. Which includes doing research and going to seminars and such. Is that right or wrong?

Yes that is correct.

Taneli
10-20-2011, 10:43 AM
in the last pic with the red brick paver do you use a spacer to make your wide joints or is the paver manufactured with a spacer??

Graveslawncare
10-22-2011, 10:46 PM
Are you guys going to the trade show in Louisville, KY next week? I'll be there and would love to meet up with you if you are going to be there.

etwman
10-23-2011, 11:06 AM
There are no spacers in that brick paver. The have tapered sides but are tight up against each other.

I won't be going to the GIE this year. I was on again, off again for a couple weeks. I was going to go and meet some people, invited to speak on a panel, and a few other things but I'm going to pass this year. Possibly next year I'll go.

S-205
10-23-2011, 04:14 PM
Any new pictures for us etwman?

barney14
10-27-2011, 07:15 PM
With that pool coping what is the best and fastest way to cut it? Free hand with a quick cut or on a wet table saw? Also how did you fasten them mortar or adhesive? If adhesive was it PL premium or some other brand. Trying to improve our efficiency with coping. Thanks B:canadaflag:

etwman
11-06-2011, 11:15 AM
It is with great excitment that I announce the addition of our 2nd full time Landscape Architect to our staff for 2012. This individual brings great talent to our company with Dynascapes and Sketchup, coming to us from a very reputable company. We have pushed the amount of work that one LA can handle as much as we can and will need to shift growing gears once again.

This will result in most likely adding more equipment as we go through the year. We should know more by end of February and we know that we can put another Freightliner on the road in less than 4 weeks.

barney14
11-06-2011, 01:07 PM
Keep us informed.

sbvfd592
11-06-2011, 01:34 PM
. I don't plan on this company getting huge. Maybe 3-4 rigs rolling daily. You can profit fine from that and turn a really good $ if you do your homework.

etwman.

This is from 2002 I think. ETW you are truly a inspiration! Great job growing and good luck in 2012

etwman
11-06-2011, 02:42 PM
Funny that's just about where we will be. Four production crews and one crew for our Grow division. And I wrote that 10 years ago.
Posted via Mobile Device

Canale Landscaping
11-06-2011, 08:41 PM
Funny that's just about where we will be. Four production crews and one crew for our Grow division. And I wrote that 10 years ago.
Posted via Mobile Device

You should write a little retrospective.

PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC
11-07-2011, 10:27 PM
ETW Does your company outsource things like payroll,taxes,auto work ,DOT and other items that would require alot of man hours not directly related to installing awsome landscapes.
Just wondering have seen alot of adds or companys that do those things .
thanks

etwman
11-08-2011, 08:28 AM
We handle that all in house. My assistant has an accounting background for payroll, taxes, etc..

PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC
11-08-2011, 09:38 AM
We handle that all in house. My assistant has an accounting background for payroll, taxes, etc..

Okay that makes sense then if you were a "normal" person with out that degree you would go crazy with that much paper work and installs.
thanks

MDLawn
11-08-2011, 01:21 PM
Sounds like you followed your business plan to a "T". Seriously though you do great work and have unbelievably great working relationships with your clients and employees. These are the people that make your world go round and you truly understand that by making them feel needed/wanted. Not to mention how willing you are to help others who truly seek help. Inspiration indeed.

Getting close to one million views on this thread!!

lukemelo216
11-08-2011, 02:15 PM
what is your grow division?

etwman
11-09-2011, 09:09 AM
It's our comprehensive maintenance division exclusively for our design/build clients. I talk about it more in previous pages in this thread.

When it hits 1,000,000 hits they should put this thread somewhere with its own click button. I don't think there's another thread on here with 1M views.

brian1425
11-09-2011, 01:20 PM
How many of your previous design/build customers are now using your GROW services?

TriCityLawnCareLLC
11-09-2011, 02:03 PM
ETW, You ROCK! You're an inspiration. Thank You

etwman
11-09-2011, 02:26 PM
We have a handful of clients on the GROW program for the first year and it is picking up momentum. Its like starting another company and it'll take time. We are in the process of interviewing clients who were on it this year and they are eager to sign back up. So with that we know we are headed in the right direction.

GQLL
11-10-2011, 01:26 PM
they should make it a sticky and keep it on the top of the page.

twward
11-10-2011, 10:00 PM
I second that thought.

deere615
11-10-2011, 10:22 PM
I think they would just have to change the title though everyone would be coming in and posting pictures of their equipment! I say do it though!

S-205
11-11-2011, 05:26 PM
So I'm not sure if you still do snow removal or not? You metioned you had 2 plows, pusher, salter, 3 snowblowers. Are the plows for the 1 tons? The pusher is for what?

etwman
11-11-2011, 08:18 PM
Yes we do snow removal on three commercial sites. I talked about what we still use somewhere in this thread. The quick recap is we have (2) Fisher Plows, one is on the GMC and the other on the F550 (which also has a salter). The (2) 262 CAT's run the (2) 10' Kage Systems that we have. We sold the old pusher once we realized how good the Kage systems are.

S-205
11-13-2011, 06:42 PM
Oh alright, makes sense. I'm looking into the 8 foot Kage System for our S 205. Do the cats push the 10 footers around without any trouble?

etwman
11-13-2011, 10:04 PM
yes they push them fine.

etwman
11-14-2011, 10:23 PM
We're starting to put together equipment lists for 2012 and one of the things on the top of the list is a larger trailer so that we can move the mini-ex and track loader together on the same trailer. Somethinig with a 12 ton capacity.

We have one Cam Superline Trailer that our dingo is on. I've been pretty impressed with this manufacturer. In a world where every brother and his son make trailers you have to be careful who's are better built.

Cam Superline make a 12 ton trailer with air brakes, a low empty weight, and a good carrying capacity. I think that's what we are going to go with. Anytime you have the option to take air over electric it is always a better option. Check them out if your looking for a good solid trailer, I'm pretty impressed.

Swampy
11-15-2011, 01:05 AM
We're starting to put together equipment lists for 2012 and one of the things on the top of the list is a larger trailer so that we can move the mini-ex and track loader together on the same trailer. Somethinig with a 12 ton capacity.

We have one Cam Superline Trailer that our dingo is on. I've been pretty impressed with this manufacturer. In a world where every brother and his son make trailers you have to be careful who's are better built.

Cam Superline make a 12 ton trailer with air brakes, a low empty weight, and a good carrying capacity. I think that's what we are going to go with. Anytime you have the option to take air over electric it is always a better option. Check them out if your looking for a good solid trailer, I'm pretty impressed.

Like I have to tell you, Make sure your drivers have the corsponding classes on there licenses. Last time I talked to the state troopers here in WI they are going to be doing a major crack down on licenses soon.

etwman
11-15-2011, 08:41 AM
The simpliest thing to do when you have larger trucks, is everybody gets their CDL. Simple as that, then you don't have to worry about the restrictions.

I have heard multiple stories that state dot inspections are stepping up considerably in all states. This doesn't surprise me at all considering most states in this down economy are scrounging for ways to gain income.

Swampy
11-16-2011, 12:40 AM
The simpliest thing to do when you have larger trucks, is everybody gets their CDL. Simple as that, then you don't have to worry about the restrictions.

I have heard multiple stories that state dot inspections are stepping up considerably in all states. This doesn't surprise me at all considering most states in this down economy are scrounging for ways to gain income.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration-licensing/cdl/cdl.htm
Class A -- Any combination of vehicles with a GCWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Class B -- Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.

Class C -- Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is transporting material that has been designated as hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 5103 and is required to be placarded under subpart F of 49 CFR Part 172 or is transporting any quantity of a material listed as a select agent or toxin in 42 CFR Part 73

Was meaning towards drivers have a class A, your getting towards that mark hauling a mini and a skid. Not trying to mean or a d**k, just don't want anything bad to happen to ya. Edit: I don't know if this works like this in your state, but if you get a CDL your personal car insurance goes up.

11-16-2011, 01:28 AM
Jarod,

I have heard you speak very highly of Marty Grunder and his workshops several times on this tread. Looking at GROW 2012 (Feb. 9-11) and the 2012 Sales & Marketing Symposium (March 1), I honestly can't afford to do both. I am currently running a part-time/full-time (depends on the season) business that is 50% maintenance and 50% design/install, while I am finishing up my Landscape Design degree. I will be finishing my degree in 2012, I really want to get out there and grow my business in the design/install market. If you were in my shoes and since you attended both GROW & SMS in 2011, which one do you think that I would get the most out of? Thank you!

Daniel Bradshaw
Owner
Appomattox River Landscapes

ShaneysLawnCare
11-16-2011, 01:30 AM
Ok so....My head hurts from going through this entire thread.....now that I look back upon it was it worth it, yes, so many tips and advice, am I glad yes. Do I have along way to go there is no way I could get to where he is, but is it my goal yes. Oh also some pages back some where around 140 you mentioned somthing about how many small business' make it to the 10 year mark, its less then 6% as of 2010. So great job, look forward to your work. And hearing back from you, keep on growing its what I strive for but I have one question in all of this, WAY back when you started what was your number one marketing ROI.
Thanks Brian
Shaney's Lawn Care & Landscaping LLC

etwman
11-16-2011, 08:48 AM
Daniel - I would opt for the GROW experience. It covers alot more and you'll get a little piece of what the sales and marketing symposium is about. Looking back, if I had the opportunity to go to this when i was a college student it would have been huge. You won't learn this stuff in a college classroom setting.

etwman
11-16-2011, 08:54 AM
Daniel I just sent Marty an email and he responded, "I'll give any student studying horticulture or LA or some related field... that wants to attend a 20% discount, but we have to have a letter from their professor on the university letterhead that verifies they are a student, etc."

There you go.................

11-16-2011, 11:06 AM
Daniel I just sent Marty an email and he responded, "I'll give any student studying horticulture or LA or some related field... that wants to attend a 20% discount, but we have to have a letter from their professor on the university letterhead that verifies they are a student, etc."

There you go.................

Thank you very much Jarod! I really appreciate your help and I hope that I will have the opportunity to meet you at GROW.

Daniel

twward
11-20-2011, 09:28 AM
Jarod,

How often do you go to GROW? Do you try to attend each one, or just once a year?

Thanks,

Troy

etwman
11-20-2011, 10:00 AM
The GROW conference is only once a year. The next one is Feb 9-11, 2012.

srl28
11-21-2011, 07:15 PM
Strolling around on the internet looking for a truck and came across 2 trucks for sale that are nearly identical to your roll off trucks. Almost the same logo too whats the deal? In PA, near Philly.

Heres a link

http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/find/listing/photos/99707243/

P.Services
11-21-2011, 07:44 PM
i saw that truck also.

ohiogreenworks
11-21-2011, 07:50 PM
A little searching brings up coastal landscaping which has apparently switched to earth and stone creations, but they are selling these trucks? I am confused, but always nice to catch up on this thread!

etwman
11-21-2011, 07:53 PM
I'll hand it to them on a good attempt. They screwed up on a couple things. First the chassis isn't long enough for that system. It leaves very little room to tow any trailer. You really need to go at least 186" cab to axle measurement if you are going to put a 15' switch-n-go system on it. They went steel on the box and not built really well (and we did too on the first one) but aluminum is the way too but you need to reinforce it right.

You see alot of trucks out there for sale right now, especially landscape trucks in the more urban areas where the economy has really taken a beating.

They literally took our same lettering we used and put it on their truck. Seriously follks you can't come up with something original on your own? And I know they've obviously looked at this thread, because where else would they capture the idea. It's not like these truck ideas are on every corner.

I'm just speculating but I think that is a "dumping of assets" You don't build these specialized systems to dump them in a couple years.

srl28
11-21-2011, 08:08 PM
Agreed! Even their tagline is extremely similar if not a direct copy of yours, font and all. Pretty funny actually when ya think about it

Cornell
11-21-2011, 08:09 PM
That goes to show you that just copying a great idea alone isn't enough to have a successful business, it takes much more than a versatile and well equipped truck to succeed.

etwman
11-21-2011, 08:14 PM
That goes to show you that just copying a great idea alone isn't enough to have a successful business, it takes much more than a versatile and well equipped truck to succeed.

I would agree. Total proof that you can have all the bling in the world in equipment, but if you don't have the brains behind it, it'll fall on its face. Am I'm not saying I have all the brain, I attribute alot of that to my staff.

One thing I would say if that if you are going to dive into putting a system together like this on a larger truck, you had better well ......A. Have the work for it and B. not borrow the full amount to build it. This isn't the first system that has mirrored ours that i have seen for sale over the past 3 years.....although this is the closest.

BShaffer
11-21-2011, 09:02 PM
I tell my staff all the time your work shows in everything you do. This truck doesnt look as good because the attention to detail and the weekly cleaning isnt there. It shows in your trucks, equipment and your work. The back of the house has to be as good or better than the front of the house. It all translates.

Also, is all your stuff trademarked? (I.E. logo, name, etc.) when do you start sending letters? or you don't worry with it?

etwman
11-21-2011, 09:44 PM
You know you could chase people who steal your ideas until your spent, trademarked or not, and spend attorney fees for what? To chase the guy who is out of business? Weíve sent a couple letters over the years but Iíve got better things to do. Hereís my theory on this, and it was reinforced when we went to see Grunder Landscaping the other month. Marty welcomes anyone who wants to see his business to come. Risky? Maybe. But you know what? There are few companies around in my opinion who run as tight a ship as he does and less that could ever replicate it.

What you need to do is focus on what you are good at and go. Do things no one else is doing and do them the very best you can. Find a way to separate yourself and combine all your company talents. Hereís an example. How many of you watched Tony Stewart last night? Iím a bid of a NASCAR junkie. Tony knew he had a job to do when the green flag flew last night and I was on the edge of my seat for 267 laps. Iím a Jr. fan, but that night was all about Edwards and Stewart. In my opinion it was the best night in Nascar history. Did Tony care what the other 42 drivers were doing? Nope, he knew what he had to do and he did it. Simple as that.

So to answer your question is it worth worrying about everyone else? To some extent I guess but Iím more focused about what we are doing. I see some of my competition a couple times a month and simply say to myself, ďThey still donít get it.Ē

jg244888
11-21-2011, 09:58 PM
lot of good knowledge in that post. Any pics of what you guys have been up too lately. Also that was the best drive ive ever seen by any driver yesterday good to see the cup stay in the Hendrick family!!!

etwman
11-21-2011, 10:05 PM
I'll put some pics up in a little bit, due to some confidentiality projects I have to be a little careful who's projects I post.

I agree, I've never seen anyone drive that well. You could just see the focus on the 14.

South Florida Lawns
11-22-2011, 10:38 PM
Do you guys network with local maintenance companies after these projects are complete. Your work is so detailed it would be a shame to see some Joe take over after the installs and everything goes downhill. Sorry if its already been said in the previous pages.

etwman
11-22-2011, 10:42 PM
We have our GROW division. We maintain only what we build. We talk about it in previous posts.
Posted via Mobile Device

South Florida Lawns
11-22-2011, 11:13 PM
We have our GROW division. We maintain only what we build. We talk about it in previous posts.
Posted via Mobile Device

I see it now few pages back sorry there bud.

Swampy
11-23-2011, 12:33 AM
Does your GROW division handle everything needed to maintain a landscape? (Lawn cutting, shrub care, lawn fert, etc. etc. etc.) Or do you still sub somethings out?

etwman
11-23-2011, 09:44 AM
We don't sub anything out, we have much better control over what we do that way. We have a long list of services we provide in that division.

GroundScapesIncorporated
11-30-2011, 09:20 AM
Jarod,
It looks like you keep a great relationship and stay in communication with your leaders, but what do you do/suggest to hear what laborers have to say, and to make sure they are happy, or just hear there general opinions? I only ask because it seems like the larger we get, the less I am in communication with my laborers, I have a meeting with all three foreman on a daily basis at 7am and stay in communication with them throughout the day, just seems like I talk to and see my other guys less and less.
Thanks in advance!!

etwman
11-30-2011, 09:42 AM
Try this. I started doing this earlier this year and its proven beneficial. About every other month I have a "what's stupid" meeting. I'll cook or bring in breakfast for all my field guys and in turn they have to bring one thing up that we do that's stupid. This isn't a bash on the company, its just openly talking about ways we can improve. It can be the just the simpliest things that no one thought about. Like why don't we have a tire plug kit on the trucks, stuff like that. It makes everyone feel involved in the day to day operations and their input valuable. We spend about 45 minutes talking about and make an effort to change those things.

Other than that I try and grab breakfast or lunch with field guys as much as I can, but I agree there will become an element of detachment from staff the bigger you get. I can remember back to when we were 2 employees and I knew alot about them, kids names, where they vacation, etc. Its hard to know all that know.

We'll also do a couple inhouse training things over the winter to involve everyone.

Hope this helps some, good question though.

meets1
11-30-2011, 08:39 PM
etw - the stupid meeting thing is awesome. I try to have a meeting once a month. We even just discusses the same thing - tire plugs! Easy, cheap, but yet never really thought about. The big thing is keepiing everyone informed or feeling part of the company.

Duffster
12-01-2011, 03:00 PM
but if you get a CDL your personal car insurance goes up.

Mine didn't. Maybe it's time for you to get a new insurance company.

There is no logical reason to raise it. Should get a discount of anything.

murrayslandscaping22
12-01-2011, 11:34 PM
Couple quick shots of various projects going on. Setting the ground work for a boulder wall which will stage the pool, fireplace, outdoor kitchen, pergola, and landscape to be installed shortly.

Second project is a natural stone we brought in from China, pretty neat. We are getting into more and more natural stone work and mortored walls, though we still have some paver patios sold. We are installing all the landscape over the next two weeks.

Third project is a pool project featuring natural stone steps, spa, landscape and lighting.

Busy spring.

When you are laying natural stone, I see that you are laying the base out of modified and and then using sand. My question is what do you use in the joints do you use mortar or do you use polymeric sand like for pavers?

etwman
12-03-2011, 08:19 AM
You can't use mortor in our climate. It'll crack without a concrete base with the cold temps. We use poly sand.
Posted via Mobile Device

Paragon Ridge
12-05-2011, 04:44 PM
ETW,
I noticed you have ICPI stickers on some of your trucks, which looks pretty good. I have always wanted to get into basic hardscaping since I am studying civil engineering and it is amazing to see how precise/complicated your line of work can be.
I have a few questions though:
1. Is ICPI the main organization for certifying contractors to install pavers professionally?
2. After being certified, do you have to request permission to put their logo on company trucks?

Thanks,
Blake

etwman
12-06-2011, 08:47 AM
Yes ICPI is the main certification. I think you have to be an ICPI member, not just pass the test, to put the stickers on your trucks, but don't quote me on that. It's been a while, that may have changed.

jg244888
12-07-2011, 10:47 PM
Do you feel its a negative at all that you dont say something the landscaping or hardscapes in you name eg. earth turf & wood landscapes? or not?

etwman
12-08-2011, 09:20 AM
No not at all. We have the tagline underneath it which explains what we do, and we have become well enough established in the area that people recognize the name and know what it represents.

There were two criteria when I came up with the name. First, I didn't want my personal name in it at all. I know alot of companies have thier own last name inbedded in their company name, and that is fine. I look at it from the perspective if way down the road I wanted to sell the company I think it'll be alot more appealing if someone business with a neutral name. Face it, would you want to own "Bob's Landscaping" if your name was Bill Smith? Second, I wanted it to contain elements of what we do.

Once again, just my opinion on it.

idealscape
12-08-2011, 09:32 AM
I just wanted to drop you a note and say I enjoyed reading about your company in September 2011's Lawn and Landscape magazine. Great business you have there. Keep up the good work!

jg244888
12-08-2011, 05:33 PM
we have become well enough established in the area that people recognize the name and know what it represents.

at the begining did you ever have anyone asking you what you guys did?

etwman
12-11-2011, 04:32 PM
Maybe once or twice, but then it caught on pretty quick.

jg244888
12-11-2011, 05:55 PM
cool thanks any new pics

etwman
12-14-2011, 04:28 PM
Once again, looking for something to do this winter? If you missed it last year you missed something big. If you miss it again this year its bigger and you really should get your head examined.

http://www.martygrunder.com/grow2012/

I'll guarantee you there's a decent number of people from this site who will attend.

A&Jlandscapingllc
12-21-2011, 08:46 AM
Real nice company you have built

Swampy
12-21-2011, 10:09 AM
Same as last year, I want to go but it falls on my Drill weekend for the Army.

:angry::cry::realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad: *swearing inside my head.

jg244888
01-10-2012, 10:20 AM
any updates?

etwman
01-10-2012, 10:27 AM
We've spent about $25k in computer hardware and software for our two architects that we now have in house. We are still adding plugins and enhancing the 3D imaging. This is just one of the things that's pretty cool for 2012 with us.

KrayzKajun
01-10-2012, 11:22 AM
wow! that design is increible. the detail shown is top notch.

MDLawn
01-10-2012, 12:22 PM
That's really neat stuff there and having the ability to have in house people must make it much easier to present designs to your potential customers and be able to adjust anything easily. As always thanks for sharing ideas, photo's, and everything else you offer to a lot of us.

etwman
01-10-2012, 12:43 PM
This is just a teaser to what we can do in house. I remember back to when I was nervous about hiring just one architect, now we have two. I'd never go back to not having one. You can streamline and become extremely efficient in what you do, catering to a clients immediate request to change something.

On another side note, as companies grow one thing I would encourage you all to do is to have some type of overhead recovery system in place. I haven't talked much about it, and when you are small (1-3 employees) its not super important, but as you grow you need to be able to recover fixed company costs accurately in job costing. And I mean accurately. You may think you do on a spreadsheet but I'd be willing to be the right ORS would prove you wrong. There are several available to our industry that are good. Vanderkooi has one, there's Manage 360 with Dynascapes, and a few others. Pick one, make the investment early on in your company, and it'll become a huge asset to you as you grow. There's your January advice.

xclusive
01-10-2012, 02:00 PM
We've spent about $25k in computer hardware and software for our two architects that we now have in house. We are still adding plugins and enhancing the 3D imaging. This is just one of the things that's pretty cool for 2012 with us.

Those designs look great! The work your company does is amazing. What program(s) did your architects use for those designs?

jg244888
01-11-2012, 03:45 PM
very cool renderings! what programs you guys using now?

ACA25
01-11-2012, 05:15 PM
On another side note, as companies grow one thing I would encourage you all to do is to have some type of overhead recovery system in place. I haven't talked much about it, and when you are small (1-3 employees) its not super important, but as you grow you need to be able to recover fixed company costs accurately in job costing. And I mean accurately. You may think you do on a spreadsheet but I'd be willing to be the right ORS would prove you wrong. There are several available to our industry that are good. Vanderkooi has one, there's Manage 360 with Dynascapes, and a few others. Pick one, make the investment early on in your company, and it'll become a huge asset to you as you grow. There's your January advice.

Of all the advice I have seen on here, that is the single best. Most guys won't have much of an idea what you just said, but please don't let that scare you from learning about it. Vanderkooi is a great system, and one that I suggest, but the best thing to do is pick one and start integrating it into your business.

jg244888
01-12-2012, 10:58 PM

Which one do you guys use?

etwman
01-19-2012, 11:08 AM
We are using Dynascape / Sketch 3D / Manage 360 with a series of plug ins in conjunction with Google Sketchup.

Here's a very interesting statistic that a good friend sent me, some of you may have seen it before.

There are currently 73,000 Landscape companies nationwide as of last year.

5% have sales over 1 million dollars of revenue or about 3,650 companies.
5% of these 5% will go to 5 million dollars or about 182 companies.
1% of these will go to 10 million dollars or 2 companies.

Figure out where you are, and as you grow you will find that those you can relate with and bounce things off of will become fewer and fewer. The world of peers that truly understand the growing pains your enduring will become less and less. I'm not sure what the statistic is for company's that make it past 5, 10, 15 years is, I've seen it but can't remember it, but it really drops off.

CM's
01-19-2012, 12:08 PM
Those are interesting stats, but doesn't the Top 100 that Lawn & Landscape publishes every year dispute that? All top 100 range from 1.3 B to 13 M. In my area that are 2 companies that are in the 20 million/year range.

Or does this not include Nursery/Landscape companies?

brian1425
01-19-2012, 12:57 PM
etw - a couple quick questions: Last year at this time you were building an indoor display. What has the been the response to the display and how has it helped your business? Second, I am finishing reading "Becomind a Category of One" (great read), have you read Marty's book? What is on your desk that you are reading currently? It seems all good business owners are reading and adding information. I am looking for my next book.

etwman
01-19-2012, 08:13 PM
The display is working well. Unfortunately on a public forum I won't get into a whole lot of our marketing or customer relations work we do. That's just one road I won't go down for the world to see, we keep that pretty private to protect our company and its growth. We don't do alot of it, but what we do works and works well.

I would read Marty's book, its a good read. If you like Calloway's book you should go to GROW in Dayton from February 9-11 and hear him speak, he's very good.

Here's another good read for you. Never Eat Alone by Ferrazzi. That'll give you something to chew on for a little. I follow some of the principles in that book religously.

CM's
01-19-2012, 08:34 PM
Etw,

I would like to talk to you about Dynascape Manage sometime, I use their design software and talked to them extensively about Manage. It looks like a pretty good piece of software, but not all the modules were ready and we have been in on te ground floor with software before. How is it working for you? I would be happy to share some more info about myself over email. Let me know if you're interested in that. What you said about peers is dead on.
Posted via Mobile Device

etwman
01-19-2012, 09:25 PM
We are young into Manage 360, our LA's use it, and with what I have seen and had my hands on it has my full approval. We made the decision to move forward with it last fall so we haven't had a full year in it yet.

Early on in my life I remember a friend saying to me the more successful you get in your business the less friends you will have that truly understand what you are going through. His words of wisdom could not be more true, though I didn't fully understand then.

Over many years I have had the opportunity to go through and see up close alot of very successful landscape companies. They've all ranged from $100k to $15M+. I've seen up close all the gears that make them function, numbers, and the list goes on and on. Some of my staff has had the opportunity to see them as well. One thing I hear over and over again is bigger is not often better. Once you break through that $3M and up company it becomes a beast of administration, equipment, staffing, and the list goes on and on AND it not always more profitable. When taking my "excited staff" to see a larger build company (because they think we need to be that big) I end up asking asking them really? Then they respond "hhhmmmm maybe not." So where am I going with this. I've seen alot of numbers, talked to alot of owners, and witnessed alot of size companies. This has really helped determine what that "sweet spot" is and how big I want to get to be most profitable and crazy efficient. Think about all this as you grow your companies and put together your long range plans.

CM's
01-19-2012, 10:20 PM
Are you using all of Manage, or are your LA's just using the estimating side? Are you using the accounting integration module as well? We ran into a road block on the maintenance side. They don't have that part of the software in place yet, and that is a integral part of our business. I'm impressed with their sales tracking capabilities, and the estimating looks good. We have created our own estimating template that is very similar to what they produced.

At this point we are looking for a 1 software solution to sales/estimating/tracking/invoicing/accounting. Simple request, right?

What you say regarding company size is the truth, the bigger you get the more you have to feed the monster. We are in a national peer group that meets a couple of times a year to discuss our business's. Again, if you're interested, I would like to talk off the board.

etwman
01-20-2012, 02:16 PM
You can contact my office and we can chat some.

Here's another cool shot for an upcoming project from our new design software.

Durabird02
01-20-2012, 03:03 PM
That looks so good i think you just sold me on a patio! lol Nice looking model!

etwman
01-21-2012, 08:32 AM
I had the opportunity to swing into MAHTS the other day in Lancaster. I rarely go to these trade show events anymore because in my opinion they are really lacking in good education. Now wait, you may say well I learn alot from them. That's great seriously. But I just don't get a whole lot out of them, and really limit my staff going. We either do one of two things

1. In house training where I bring specialized speakers in house to train my staff, which works great.

2. Go to conferences you have to pay for, and that's not $55 either.

In the world of education in our industry you truly get what you pay for. If you go to a $600 conference, you are going to walk away with at least $600 worth of valuable information. Go to a free one (or basically free) and that's what you get. It reinforced my thoughts on last Thursday's lancaster event.

Coming up is a phenominal event and I've mentioned it before:

There are two nights here where I always make it a point to go out to dinner with other attendees. If you are going, and interested in doing this, let me know. It is always great to exchange ideas with peers in the industry. Make it a point to attend this, you won't regret it.

muddywater
01-21-2012, 06:38 PM
About the sweet spot. What do you think companies should net with a 1 mil gross? How much for 3 mil gross? It seems like the bigger you get, the lower and lower the profit percentage gets and at some point it isn't worth the headache.

etwman
01-21-2012, 10:19 PM
That's an impossible question to answer. So much of that depends on what the company does, specializes in, do they do multiple things, etc. Bigger isn't always better.

muddywater
01-21-2012, 10:30 PM
That's an impossible question to answer. So much of that depends on what the company does, specializes in, do they do multiple things, etc. Bigger isn't always better.

What would you guess grunder grosses and nets?
Posted via Mobile Device

etwman
01-21-2012, 10:34 PM
I wouldn't share that publicly even if I did know, nor would I share that about any other company or my own. This is a public forum and some things need to stay confidential.

Bigger companies can be more profitable, but you really really have to be on your A game.

willretire@40
01-22-2012, 07:07 PM
I had the opportunity to swing into MAHTS the other day in Lancaster. I rarely go to these trade show events anymore because in my opinion they are really lacking in good education. Now wait, you may say well I learn alot from them. That's great seriously. But I just don't get a whole lot out of them, and really limit my staff going. We either do one of two things

1. In house training where I bring specialized speakers in house to train my staff, which works great.

2. Go to conferences you have to pay for, and that's not $55 either.

In the world of education in our industry you truly get what you pay for. If you go to a $600 conference, you are going to walk away with at least $600 worth of valuable information. Go to a free one (or basically free) and that's what you get. It reinforced my thoughts on last Thursday's lancaster event.

Coming up is a phenominal event and I've mentioned it before:

There are two nights here where I always make it a point to go out to dinner with other attendees. If you are going, and interested in doing this, let me know. It is always great to exchange ideas with peers in the industry. Make it a point to attend this, you won't regret it.

Price is $795 now.

etwman
01-22-2012, 07:32 PM
I know Marty publicized the price was going up soon. It's getting close to selling out and space is limited.

etwman
01-25-2012, 07:20 PM
Here's an added bonus to the GROW conference in Dayton in February.

Marty and I chatted today and he asked me if I would be willing to be interviewed on stage for 30 minutes to discuss some of my sales tactics and how we market to the high end clientele so successfully. After thinking about it for awhile I decided to accept. I rarely talk about this in public and definitely not on a public forum as we keep this information very close to us. I'm sure you will find it insightful and will gain some tips if this is the market you are looking to penetrate.

There isn't much time left to sign up for this conference.

S-205
01-25-2012, 09:40 PM
I think that is a smart decision and can certainly be a big privelege and opportunity for you. I'm sure anyone who listens intently will benefit greatly. Have fun ETW!

syzer
01-31-2012, 11:55 AM
About the sweet spot. What do you think companies should net with a 1 mil gross? How much for 3 mil gross? It seems like the bigger you get, the lower and lower the profit percentage gets and at some point it isn't worth the headache.

I can assure you, this is not the case! Its all about the business you have, and how you run it. As Jarod mentioned its different depending on what part of the industry you are specializing in. Run a good business right and you will make good money no matter what industry you are in.

S-205
01-31-2012, 01:19 PM
I plan to share some of those 3D imaging shots with my Landscape Design class, a lot of them have never seen anything like that before!

etwman
02-12-2012, 09:23 AM
I returned late yesterday afternoon from another great GROW Conference in Dayton Ohio with Marty Grunder. It was another packed 48 hours of great ideas and things to help take your company to the next level. Larry Winget was there and he is as blunt as they come and lays it on the line. There was some great information from him too.

I truly enjoyed networking with other great business owners from around the country and have a lot of respect for those peers whom Iíve gotten to know well over the years. I learn an awful lot from them.

On Friday I had the opportunity to speak to everyone at the conference as Marty interviewed me on stage. Several of my other friends were interviewed as well over the 3 day conference. One of the questions Marty asked me was, ďwhat was your biggest mistake youíve made with ETW?Ē Powerful question, it should read what are my biggest mistakes. I thought about this for a moment and said something like this to the audience. ďNot sitting where each and every one of you were 5 years ago. Not realizing that as my business grows there are things in which I canít figure out on my own and need great consultants like Marty, strong peers in the industry, and awesome conferences like this one here in Dayton. As I look around the audience I see faces of young business owners who are probably doing $150k, $250k, $350k a year in sales and they have made the sacrifice to be here to learn. I commend them immensely in realizing this early on in their careers. I know some of them personally and Iíd buy stock in their companies in a heartbeat because I know where they will end up.Ē There's no excuse on why you shouldn't have attended this conference when I see people like this in the audience, unless you flat out don't care about building your business.

There was another item in which I was going to say that I didnít get a chance too. I was amazed at how many attendees mentioned to me this week that they are familiar with this thread so Iíll put it here. Taking from my notes it was something like this. ďAs you look at all these sales tools that I use on the screen, the shiny trucks, top notch architects we employ, 6 digits build photos, and everything Iíve talked about donít you DARE put us 10 notches above everyone in this room and think my life is a bowl of cherries. We face the same struggles that all of you do each and every day. Yes they may be on a larger scale, but we still have them. Clients, employees, equipment, and the list goes on and on. I donít come into my office, prop up my feet, watch Fox News, and play Angry Birds all day. I have those Mondayís where by 1 p.m. I feel like backing up and punting and trying it all over again tomorrow, afraid that if I touch the coffee maker the thing will catch fire and burn down the building, Iím there with you. I wake up at 4:30 on days, tossing and turning in bed solving problems in my head and eventually get kicked out by my wife and end up at the office by 6 a.m too. Hereís where Iím going with this; we all have issues and we all learn from our mistakes. Each and every one of them makes our companies better. Conferences like this one, which are amongst the best of the best, will help you suppress those issues and be so much better, but the problem solving will never end, the unexpected problems will always be there, and life will go on. Weíre just like everyone else.Ē

GROW 2013 will be moving to Nashville Tennessee! I would encourage you to all attend. The networking times in the evenings with peers are just as valuable as the day sessions. Joe Calloway will be back and Iím sure Marty will have some other great speakers as well. Make your company the best it can be in 2012 folks. Best of luck.

willretire@40
02-12-2012, 09:43 AM
I am sorry that I missed it. I am also glad that i didnt pay for it either because like i said earlier my wife was pregant and due Feb 6. She delivered feb 10th. Next year I will be there unless I am dead.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Clonts Landscaping
02-12-2012, 10:26 AM
I am sorry that I missed it. I am also glad that i didnt pay for it either because like i said earlier my wife was pregant and due Feb 6. She delivered feb 10th. Next year I will be there unless I am dead.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Congratulations man.....

Summit L & D
02-12-2012, 12:19 PM
As "one of the younger guy in the room", I can say this was the MOST valuable thing I have ever done for my business!! You can be the big fish in your local market, but just because you're swimming a little off the bottom of the barrel - doesn't mean you're really winning. Hearing the experiences of others, people sharing honestly about how they've failed and succeeded is something from which you will gain a wealth of insight.

Find a good consultant EARLY! I wish I had made the effort to head to a Grow event 3 years ago when ETW started talking about them. By the way, Jarod, I hope Marty is comping you big time for all the guys sitting in that room, based on your reviews!

DUSTYCEDAR
02-12-2012, 12:41 PM
thanks for sharing the pics of the design program.

J.Z.Smith Landscaping
02-13-2012, 03:58 PM
Well said etw