PDA

View Full Version : Equipment photos

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

etwman
01-26-2009, 01:17 PM
It was a JCB 208S

tthomass
01-26-2009, 11:46 PM
I thought that veneer looked a little familiar Jarod........

etwman
01-27-2009, 08:01 AM
That's right Todd, I forgot you did that job, looks good!;)

Real Green
01-27-2009, 10:06 AM
Let's go Hokies! The second most beautiful campus in the nation next to my alma mater, the sister school to VT, Radford University! :laugh:

Jarod, we need to meet up sometime soon. I feel like that fell by the wayside with both of us being busy. Will you be available in the next few weeks?

Todd, I am in Northern Virginia at least once if not twice a week. I remember we kicked around meeting up a while back. You going to be available anytime soon?

riverwalklandscaping
01-27-2009, 02:19 PM
Just curious but I have a ton more hardscaping than I will have time to get done in the spring and I was thinking I could fix this by working on rainy days with some kind of cover. Do you use anything like a giant tent or anything so you can work when it rains? I was thinking of picking up a few really cheap tents from a K-mart or something to cover the walkways/stairs/patios etc so I could keep working. Do you have any recommendations? Thanks - RSW

etwman
01-27-2009, 06:59 PM
We've never got to the point where we'd consider tenting something. Most times the crews will work ahead to prep something in, grade, excavate, etc. if they see wet weather coming so they can move forward on a stoned in base. Keeping an eye on the weather and managing the site correctly will save alot of time. Remember you can always run for plant material and do other things on rainy days to keep the project moving. I can't say we often "lose an entire day" to bad weather. If you have that much work hire some people....they are everywhere.

Matt (Mr. Real Green) I'm headed to Florida sometime Thursday (c'mon good tailwind) for two meetings, but I'll be back early next week. Send me an email. You had the opportunity to come to a good round table, but you sent your "hired help" instead, shame on you.

jg244888
01-27-2009, 10:32 PM
etw if you could round up in like a handfull of words what it takes to be successfull what would they be?

riverwalklandscaping
01-27-2009, 11:49 PM
We've never got to the point where we'd consider tenting something. Most times the crews will work ahead to prep something in, grade, excavate, etc. if they see wet weather coming so they can move forward on a stoned in base. Keeping an eye on the weather and managing the site correctly will save alot of time. Remember you can always run for plant material and do other things on rainy days to keep the project moving. I can't say we often "lose an entire day" to bad weather. If you have that much work hire some people....they are everywhere.

I have employees, I'm just not to a place where I have anyone that I could leave alone to work on a site while I am at another, as none of them have the experience I do. I am also a bit of a perfectionist and I haven't gotten to a point where I can suck it up and just trust that they will do things right. I don't know if it rains more here or something, but sometimes it feels like we have times where it rains 4 of 5 days of the week. I have a hard time finding people that know the difference between doing something the right way, and doing it to just get it done. I hope to get lucky and find some guys like that this year, but I've had about 10 in a row that just don't get it. I pay well, treat them very well, and still feel employee issues are entirely whats holding my company back. I never advertise and always have work booked for the foreseeable future, but just don't seem to be able to make the next step.

fool32696
01-28-2009, 12:14 AM
Can you post in the Business Management Section? I'd like to respond, but don't want to take this thread off topic.

jg244888
01-28-2009, 08:14 AM
Can you post in the Business Management Section? I'd like to respond, but don't want to take this thread off topic.

if you read this whole thread theres sooo much about business management and growth.

etwman
01-28-2009, 12:44 PM
etw if you could round up in like a handfull of words what it takes to be successfull what would they be?

Here's a few:

Persistance, Empowerment, Honesty/Integrity, Patience, Efficiency, and Quality.

PlatinumLandCon
01-28-2009, 01:37 PM
I think Empowerment is very important. If your guys don't want to do the work, and do it well, beyond the motivation of paying their bills, you'll never reach an elite level. Employees want to do it for the gratification and for the better of the company. They have to love (or at least like) where they work and who they work for.

younglandscaper
01-28-2009, 08:49 PM
etwman just finished reading through the entire thread,wanted to say u got a great buiness and keep up the good work

riverwalklandscaping
01-30-2009, 02:33 PM

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=2733872#post2733872

Ya I don't want to interrupt his thread either. I posted it up for ya in the BM threads. ETW if you have any recommendations on the employee dilemma that would be great too. Thanks

Adam's Lawn and Garden
02-04-2009, 03:20 PM
So did you kill yourself yet jarod from that nice little snow storm we got? That was an insane storm!
Adam

etwman
02-04-2009, 03:27 PM
All my life I've never witnessed anything like it. 4 mile swath wide 10 miles long that dumped 14" of snow in four hours on our site. Nothing anywhere else, wasn't even forecasted. Drive towards Lancaster on dry roads then all of a sudden there's a wall of snow on either side of the highway. We didn't get a flake at the office.

Adam's Lawn and Garden
02-04-2009, 03:30 PM
i was at a buddies house watching a hockey game, left his house to 2-3 inches, got home to nothing, which is about 10-15 minutes north. Where you up at least? I'd hate to wake up at 6 to find out you have 5 hours of plowing to do and the building opens at 8.

etwman
02-04-2009, 03:39 PM
One of my guys, who is in charge of the only two sites we do snow removal on went out to salt and called me at 3:30 and said "we are going to need everyone out here ASAP" We had them cleaned by 7 a.m. but it took all we had with 5 guys, trucks, loaders, etc. to make it happen. That's why our customers love us and we don't do anything else. First time I pushed snow in a long time.

I'm sure there are guys that woke up this morning at 6 a.m. in this area and peed their pants.

PlatinumLandCon
02-04-2009, 03:53 PM
One of my guys, who is in charge of the only two sites we do snow removal on went out to salt and called me at 3:30 and said "we are going to need everyone out here ASAP" We had them cleaned by 7 a.m. but it took all we had with 5 guys, trucks, loaders, etc. to make it happen. That's why our customers love us and we don't do anything else. First time I pushed snow in a long time.

I'm sure there are guys that woke up this morning at 6 a.m. in this area and peed their pants.

WOW thats nuts. Were any of the landscape sites snowed over?

etwman
02-04-2009, 04:00 PM
Ironically as it may be that squall line split our three construction sites we have opened up and missed alll of them. With the mild weather coming in this weekend I'm pretty sure we'll put in a driveway early next week. Had that dumped on our sites we'd be down for a week or more.

PlatinumLandCon
02-04-2009, 08:40 PM
Ironically as it may be that squall line split our three construction sites we have opened up and missed alll of them. With the mild weather coming in this weekend I'm pretty sure we'll put in a driveway early next week. Had that dumped on our sites we'd be down for a week or more.

Great to hear! Good luck with everything, we can't wait to see the progress:drinkup:

kreft
02-10-2009, 08:30 PM
How's the driveway going ETWman?

etwman
02-10-2009, 08:48 PM
We sanded in the main patios today with the mild temps, spent an hour fine tuning the driveway base, and put the appliances in the kitchen today. We'll begin laying the driveway tomorrow at 6:30 a.m. First tractor trailer load of driveway pavers arrived this morning. Driveway will be done, cut, and sanded in by end of Friday. Then we can bring that hardscape body back to the shop for the first time in 7 months (since it just goes job site to job site), service the tampers/saws, restock it, and get it out to the next job.

I have another SNG truck body we custom build that needs to be taken to be powder coated but the trucks are tied up with this driveway until the end of the week.

I'll post some pics by the end of the week of the body and driveway.

PlatinumLandCon
02-10-2009, 09:33 PM
We sanded in the main patios today with the mild temps, spent an hour fine tuning the driveway base, and put the appliances in the kitchen today. We'll begin laying the driveway tomorrow at 6:30 a.m. First tractor trailer load of driveway pavers arrived this morning. Driveway will be done, cut, and sanded in by end of Friday. Then we can bring that hardscape body back to the shop for the first time in 7 months (since it just goes job site to job site), service the tampers/saws, restock it, and get it out to the next job.

I have another SNG truck body we custom build that needs to be taken to be powder coated but the trucks are tied up with this driveway until the end of the week.

I'll post some pics by the end of the week of the body and driveway.

Sounds like a plan! Is it like a dump body or a storage body.... or a hybrid-type body?? Interesting...:drinkup:

etwman
02-12-2009, 07:45 PM
First the new job body. Fairly similar to what we have, only this one has bigger cross members (the previous body ones were cracking), heavier tailgate, better side locking mechanisms, heavier D rings inside, and a few other things. I'll pick it up from being powder coated next week, then onto get lettered. We have a few other things we'll be adding this year as well.

Hands down, the mason dump body with fold down sides is probably one of the best truck bodies a landscaper/hardscaper could own.

PlatinumLandCon
02-12-2009, 07:48 PM
That thing looks friggen SOLID! Any reason for the split sides?

etwman
02-12-2009, 07:53 PM
The driveway. By the afternoon of the second day all the pavers were down and the saws were running. Final cuts tomorrow, border finished, and sanded by noon. We'll finish this up just in time for winter to return by the weekend.

The consensus amongst all my guys is this is one of the sharpest pavers they have ever laid, and there's quite a bit of experience amongst all of them. The colors are bold and we didn't pitch one bad paver out of 2100 sf.

etwman
02-12-2009, 07:57 PM
That thing looks friggen SOLID! Any reason for the split sides?

Weight. Its a heck of alot easier to fold down one 5' long side than a 10'. It has a removal stud in the middle. You can put 6 skids on this body.

kreft
02-12-2009, 08:00 PM
Anticipating snow??? Got the ford decked out nicely..

Driveway looks AMAZING!

JosephLawnCare
02-12-2009, 08:01 PM
Holy chit!!! nice driveway! looks great. What's the body going to cost you to powder coat?

PlatinumLandCon
02-12-2009, 08:01 PM
Driveway really does look great. Who makes that paver? Techo?

etwman
02-12-2009, 08:07 PM
Body will run about $1500-$1700 to sand blast and powder coat.

Yeah the Ford saw the light of day as a transporter. #3 Freightliner is in the shop, slid in the middle where there's no garage door because we haven't used it in a while. To try and get it out is like Austin Powers in the golf cart. It'll stay there for a little while until spring has sprung.

etwman
02-12-2009, 08:08 PM
Nope not Techo, good guess though.....anyone else care to take a shot?

I don't have a shot of the house with it in the same pic but it matches the house awesome.

PlatinumLandCon
02-12-2009, 08:12 PM
I was sure it was Belgard Urbana in the first 2 pics... but the 3rd made me guess Techo. I'm interested now... more than a dozen pallets and no junk pavers, sounds nice!:drinkup:

etwman
02-12-2009, 08:15 PM
I don't think a whole lot of you will get it, its new late last year. CST Vienna Classic Mill Tec. I had the opportunity to go through their plant and it was the most impressive facilty I've been through, and I've been through a few. CST could very well be the next dark horse. Not one bad paver out of two tractor trailer loads, and trust me we looked because it became a game!

kreft
02-12-2009, 08:34 PM
How much does a driveway like that cost?

kreft
02-12-2009, 08:49 PM
Nope not Techo, good guess though.....anyone else care to take a shot?

I don't have a shot of the house with it in the same pic but it matches the house awesome.

I saw the house in the excavtion pictures...... It really matches great!!!! Awesome work!

CertPro
02-12-2009, 09:15 PM
I've worked with CST before, only I used the tumbled stuff. Wasn't that impressed with the consistency of the tumble. To be honest, the only manufacturer I do see consistency from is Techo

deere615
02-12-2009, 09:40 PM
Looks good, Nice plow on the ford, I never really saw any of your snow equipment before

mrusk
02-12-2009, 09:44 PM
The driveway looks good.

CST main plant in located a 1/2 miles from my house. They also make versa lok wall there. I basically refuse to use CST pavers because Techo Bloc exist.

Why would anyone use another paver besides techo? If I remember right the vienna sells for 3.50 a sq ft?

etwman
02-12-2009, 10:25 PM
I'm not going to go into why we don't use Techo, that's another story for another day. The specs on CST are really good. Very high PSI, mono cast paver, they clean them before they are palletized, etc. The mill tec is their distressed line and I have to honestly say I can't tell the difference between that and their tumbled line. CST is very price competitve for the quality you are getting.

For the size projects we are installing for our type of customer I have to make sure the products we use are the best. I'm not going to just throw anything in.

meets1
02-12-2009, 10:30 PM
For the size projects we are installing for our type of customer I have to make sure the products we use are the best. I'm not going to just throw anything in.[/QUOTE]

Very well said! If that is your market or niche business - that is the approach to go.

EagleLandscape
02-12-2009, 11:48 PM
Jarod, that thing looks solid!

How long have you all been on this project? a few months? glad to get near the end?

got any other cool projects for the upcoming year? anything that you havent done before, and are going to attempt?

etwman
02-14-2009, 11:01 AM
The driveway is done, took four days and that included all excavation. That white residue will fade out in the next month or so. There's no way around it. Pavers are clean as can be until you poly sand. You can blow them after you sand/compact before you mist it, and it is what it is.

We've entered this project in late October I believe. We knew we would be headed into the winter months and it would be hit and miss on construction. We were okay with that since its only about 3 miles from our shop and it would be easy to get a day or two in here and there. All the hardscape is done at this point. Preliminary planting are showing right around 800, along with quite a bit of lighting. The planting crew will return in April to plant, light, and seed.

We are headed into three very large projects, none of which will take less than 2 1/2 months to complete. Each of those were listed/shown on previous pages back.

kreft
02-14-2009, 11:31 AM
Did you stand on your roof to take some of those pictures?

Again, Looks Good!

wurkn with amish
02-14-2009, 12:50 PM
Thats a nice looking Paverdrive. Is the same stone used around back?

CertPro
02-14-2009, 01:58 PM
nice, how do you mark your radii? What do you use as a reference point?

etwman
02-14-2009, 05:23 PM
EPHenry is around back, Coventry Pavers and the new "Coventry Aged Wall"

We use wips to mark radius before cutting. A reference point? A good eye.

BSDeality
02-14-2009, 05:38 PM
Jarod, It goes without saying, that driveway is sharp! Is the house perfectly parrallel with road? can't quite tell from the pics if there are any angles by the garage.

I'd love to spend a week working and learning from your crews. I could learn more in a day than I could in a week anywhere else. Things are looking great as always

etwman
02-14-2009, 08:54 PM
Ironically the house was perfectly parallel with the street. We checked it with string lines before we began to lay. Its always a real pearl when the house isn't because it presents the great question of "where do we make it work"

blsmonroe
02-14-2009, 09:04 PM
ETWMan,
First of all, the driveway looks incredible. Nicely done. Just wondering if you could go into some details about how you make your base perfectly level. I've heard everything from laser levels and string lines, to screed bars or concrete forms. Just wondering what you find to be the best approach.

Thanks

CertPro
02-14-2009, 09:13 PM
I use 1/2" PVC in 10' lengths. How long are your whips? I would imagine on longer runs they need to be a bit longer

PlatinumLandCon
02-14-2009, 09:43 PM
Any pics of the drive directly at the end looking straight up the middle? I want to see it from the street view

etwman
02-15-2009, 07:54 AM
As far as making your base level....on a big area like that you can get it pretty close with a track skid loader (they grade phenominal without leaving tire tracks) and a laser. Once you go tracks you'll never go back but that's another debate for another forum. Then fine tune with a couple alluminum screeds and rakes. Lastly slam it with a 36" or 48" double drum roller, it makes it go so much faster. I think we had that driveway stoned in and fine tuned in about 4-5 hours with a crew.

Forget PVC pipes for marking radius, they take up too much room. We did that at one time. Go to Wal-Mart or a sporting goods store and buy three or four sets of tent whips. If you go to a Cabelas or a large sporting goods store you can buy them without buying a tent. They collapse and you can combine multiple ones depending our your radius. Or...Or. you can spend $400 and get a set from Pave Tech:rolleyes:

Don't have a shot of the driveway straight in other that the one I took when they were laying it a few pages back. I can get one later.

Adam's Lawn and Garden
02-15-2009, 11:49 PM
Hey Jarod,

Looking good! Do you guys acid wash that then or something once it warms up? Do the pavers on the driveway and patio match? Were they supposed to? All that snow melt yet?

Adam

etwman
02-18-2009, 08:44 PM
The following is the project under construction from page 110. We have been in and out but will be there full time beginning next week. The two tractor trailer loads of travertine is due to arrive March 1st. Crew #1 will be on this project through mid June with the hardscape, lighting, kitchen, and all the plantings. We'll call this Project A for now so I can keep them all separate in posting.

This is a pretty complex project, so instead of asking dumb questions about it, just wait to see it evolve. If its a legitimate question that's fine. Its going to be really neat when its done.

Junior M
02-18-2009, 08:48 PM
Hope this is a legitimate question, the gas line in the last pic, is that goin to a heater for the pool? I know its common for gunite pools to have heaters..

etwman
02-18-2009, 08:50 PM
This is Project B, Crew #2 will be on this one through at least mid June if not later. We'll be back in and out of this one most likely through the end of the year. There were 7 tractor trailer loads of really neat natural boulders and steppers trucked in. We'll begin there for the next four weeks just setting boulders. This too will be a really neat magazine worthy project as well.

Crew #3 will be finishing up the pool job on the previous pages and going on to other things, sold through most of the spring.

etwman
02-18-2009, 08:52 PM
Yes the gas line is for the pool and hot tub heater, outdoor kitchen, and torches.

P.Services
02-18-2009, 09:14 PM
on project A, picture 4. im not sure on the lick & stick. im not liking the real wide grout gap. maybe it just looks wider then what it is.

deere615
02-18-2009, 09:24 PM
Dang, those look like really neat projects!

etwman
02-18-2009, 09:29 PM
on project A, picture 4. im not sure on the lick & stick. im not liking the real wide grout gap. maybe it just looks wider then what it is.

Well first off its not lick and stick, it the real deal. Real stone and the real wide grout gap isn't as wide as it looks, it matches the house.

On a side funny note our original ETW Stihl TS-400 succumbed yesterday and we had a moment of silence for it. Its crank finally went and it wasn't worth putting in on life support. It gave us 6 hard years and was well worth its money. It will permanently rest is a shallow box in our loft.

old oak lawn
02-18-2009, 09:34 PM
WOW someone has big $$ to spend, wish it was me. project is looking good.

BSDeality
02-18-2009, 09:44 PM
On a side funny note our original ETW Stihl TS-400 succumbed yesterday and we had a moment of silence for it. Its crank finally went and it wasn't worth putting in on life support. It gave us 6 hard years and was well worth its money. It will permanently rest is a shallow box in our loft.

I think you should schalack it and put it in the office

etwman
02-18-2009, 09:53 PM
Bronze it and weld it to the top of the mailbox. I have no idea how many blades and hours we we through on that thing. It is survived by its three siblings, one other TS400 and two other TS 410's.

Responding to what old oak lawn said....its not about the coin. The minute you think it is your done. Over the years we have been blessed in doing work for some of the best customers a company could ask for. It would probably surprise some of you to know that we have never been stuck once by a customer in 10 years. Furthermore, there are a decent percentage of projects we do on a handshake. We have an enormous respect for our customers, their lives, privacy, and understanding of quality. I strongly believe they trust us that we will take very good care of them in return.

Tyler7692
02-18-2009, 10:57 PM
Who the hell is still building these extravagant houses? There's something left of the economy there?

A-Land
02-19-2009, 01:04 AM
We have an enormous respect for our customers, their lives, privacy, and understanding of quality. I strongly believe they trust us that we will take very good care of them in return.

Now I think that is a bit of an understatement!

I think that's probably one of the main reasons you've done so well. Folks that are having this stuff done probably have some ideas but don't know the technicalities... Then you come along and can push the best way of doing it and support it, and they trust you will do it right to the utmost quality.

Great progress ETW, always enjoy looking at your pics and your company. Should be another fantastic season for you, those current jobs look really impressive.

PlatinumLandCon
02-19-2009, 08:57 AM
Who the hell is still building these extravagant houses? There's something left of the economy there?

Not everyone is bankrupt!

Jarod, do you use TS420's now? Thats the saw I'm looking at for this year since it has the 12-month filter, and is virtually maint-free.

CertPro
02-19-2009, 09:42 AM
ETW - Will you compact stone over the gas line or will you use something like flowable fill? Projects look impressive. Can't wait to see the natural stone stuff.

etwman
02-19-2009, 10:35 AM
The new Stihl saws are vertually maintenance free and put the old TS400's to shame. Everything about them is improved, no more cleaning the air filter.

Yes flowable fill is going in over the utilities.

mrusk
02-19-2009, 06:43 PM
Wow looks like things are still moving in PA. Things have really slowed down in jersey. It seems like every where that the housing prices went up the most are affected the most now.

The guys that do the highend 500k plus jobs here are still busy. Everything else is slow. Its hard for me to sell these 250k jobs. Maybe I can come out to PA and run a few jobs for ya.

Dountman
02-19-2009, 06:52 PM
These look like they're going to be pretty sweet ETW. I'm curious if there is any way to see an overall layout of Project "B" to see the entire scope of the job. Goodluck with these projects and look forward to seeing progress pictures.

-Colin

etwman
02-19-2009, 06:58 PM
There is Colin, but the thing is huge. I don't even know if I could put it in a jpeg. The entire project is on 40 acres. Between these three projects, there are over 4100 pieces of plant material, that should put it in perspective.

etwman
02-19-2009, 07:09 PM
Oh hey for all you mowing yuppies you'll be ever so happy to know I bought a Hustler Super Z today for the shop. 27 HP Kohler, 60" XR7, Bac Vac, flex forks, and striping kit. Loaded it up. So, yes I did come out of the dark ages and got a newer mower.....and no I don't have a picture of it yet.

Dountman
02-19-2009, 07:19 PM
Understood Jarod. As pictures come it will all be seen. Thanks and again Goodluck.

-Colin

riverwalklandscaping
02-20-2009, 10:20 AM
Just a my 2 cents but I'd take the flex forks off first thing you do. I mean I guess if you're only mowing your own shop yard, then it's not too big a deal, but with the bag-vac on there it's like a giant counterweight that magnifies the bumps you go over and the flex forks will bottom out and you'll be spending all day fixing the scalps in your lawn that result. If you've got the time to go slow and be careful it's not too bad with the flex forks, but I don't run them on the Super Z W/Bag Vac because I hated them. Any time I was tired or didn't pay total attention to slow down for every single bump I was bottoming out. Otherwise I think the super Z's are the best mower for the money for sure.

riverwalklandscaping
02-20-2009, 10:32 AM
Also two project questions hope they are legitimate:
- is that the excavator (the kobelco) you're using to set the boulders? I'd think you'd want to use a thumb to make the job much easier
- I notice most of the projects have block concrete and not poured. I don't do anything with building pools and kitchens so I don't know any better but is it not much more durable/better to pour the foundations?

Really nice job on the driveway... too bad the house is so ugly (sorry son of an architect, cant stand mcmansions) but I love the driveway

SIWEL
02-20-2009, 11:47 AM
this is kind of an odd question, but is that your truck in the back of pro magazine for the switch-n-go add

etwman
02-20-2009, 02:44 PM
Also two project questions hope they are legitimate:
- is that the excavator (the kobelco) you're using to set the boulders? I'd think you'd want to use a thumb to make the job much easier
- I notice most of the projects have block concrete and not poured. I don't do anything with building pools and kitchens so I don't know any better but is it not much more durable/better to pour the foundations?

Really nice job on the driveway... too bad the house is so ugly (sorry son of an architect, cant stand mcmansions) but I love the driveway

The excavator there was to change the elevation of the driveway. We had one brought in today on a low boy with a thumb, along with the 332 to begin to set Monday. Yes a thumb is the only way.

The pool is all guinite, walls around are block per the building contractor. Kitchens are easier to do with block.

Yes that is probably one of our trucks in Pro Magazine for Switch-N-Go.

Supper Grassy
02-20-2009, 03:02 PM
Project A and B look like they will keep you busy

etwman
02-20-2009, 03:45 PM
As will C & D, but I haven't even posted those yet.

We may or may not hire two more, I am still debating. There is no lack of good qualified guys out there right now. In another 6-8 weeks landscapers are not just going to start dumping employees, they are going to start dumping whole businesses once they realize phones are ringing. I already know of at least 6 that are gone. Widdling down the competition is always inevitable in tough times like these. Hopefully it is the bad installers that take the plunge. I hope the best for my peers that are good, honest, reputable installers and pray they make it. There will be a need for a company just to go around and fix botched jobs in two years from customers who thought they were getting a deal.

PlatinumLandCon
02-20-2009, 06:48 PM
Jarod, that 40ac property is a private residence correct? How much actual area of landscape work are they doing? Will most of it be lawns and trees? It looks like absolutely beautiful rolling property.

riverwalklandscaping
02-20-2009, 07:32 PM
http://www.switchngo.com/category_display.aspx?cat_guid=Landscape

hmm that 5th truck down looks awfully familiar. Nice!

Just curious but I have an opportunity to get a really good deal on a dodge 5500 chassis cab and I am looking at bodies for it. I notice you recommend a mason dump with fold down sides, but I had my heart set on a rugby landscape Uni-body dump. I wanted this because I run a chipper a lot and also a leaf vac and so on more than I do hardscaping or agg trucking. I see the s-n-g is available for trucks as small as the f550/5500 size trucks and was just wondering if you still think it's worth it on a small truck like this or only on the bigger trucks like the ones you run. Thanks for your input - Schuyler

Also you mentioned how some companies are drying up while you are busy. Maybe this is a good opportunity to absorb one of them to allow you to grow and help with how busy you are. I'm sure your superior management skills could turn them around. Have you thought of this at all?

PlatinumLandCon
02-20-2009, 07:43 PM
http://www.switchngo.com/category_display.aspx?cat_guid=Landscape

hmm that 5th truck down looks awfully familiar. Nice!

Just curious but I have an opportunity to get a really good deal on a dodge 5500 chassis cab and I am looking at bodies for it. I notice you recommend a mason dump with fold down sides, but I had my heart set on a rugby landscape Uni-body dump. I wanted this because I run a chipper a lot and also a leaf vac and so on more than I do hardscaping or agg trucking. I see the s-n-g is available for trucks as small as the f550/5500 size trucks and was just wondering if you still think it's worth it on a small truck like this or only on the bigger trucks like the ones you run. Thanks for your input - Schuyler

Also you mentioned how some companies are drying up while you are busy. Maybe this is a good opportunity to absorb one of them to allow you to grow and help with how busy you are. I'm sure your superior management skills could turn them around. Have you thought of this at all?

Dude, I would honestly look at a T6500 cab-over GMC. A friend of mine has one with his salter and the truck weighs under 10,000 dry, leaving TONS of room under CDL to upfit. Also, the F550 has about a 12,000 payload cap because of the 19,500 gvw now. They just aren't as big, tall, and long as the FL-80/M2.

etwman
02-20-2009, 08:13 PM
Jarod, that 40ac property is a private residence correct? How much actual area of landscape work are they doing? Will most of it be lawns and trees? It looks like absolutely beautiful rolling property.

There's a long list, horse barn, riding rink, pond, pool, and some pretty neat landscaping thoughout. I would say the "whole 40" acres will probably be phased over the next few years. Yes it is a residence.

Our 550 only has a carrying capacity of 3.5 tons, and its 17500 GVW. which isn't much. Depends on how much you need to carry. Bigger is always better, but if your carrying light material, and have no plans to carry heavy, the smaller truck will do fine.

PlatinumLandCon
02-20-2009, 08:17 PM
Jarod, the FL's are about 6t capacity right? The cabovers can push 7 or 8t under CDL but like you say, if you don't need the capacity don't get the big truck. I love the aluminium box behind the cab.

etwman
02-20-2009, 08:21 PM
33k GVW Trucks = 8 ton capacity, 26k GVW = 5 ton. We probably won't do another 26k, 8 ton is where its at for us.

KrayzKajun
02-20-2009, 08:25 PM
Jarod,

Your company and work are a great inspiration!!!
Thank You!

PlatinumLandCon
02-20-2009, 08:26 PM
If the truck takes it, 8t for sure. What does the door sticker say for them? The 33k is CDL right? Do all the foreman have cdl?

etwman
02-20-2009, 08:31 PM
What do you mean what does the door say? The door says 33k GVW, what do you think you write your own GVW in? It won't say payload, we customized these trucks then scale them to see what we can haul.

1 or 2 new guys don't but everyone else does. We'll get everyone by May. It doesn't take that long, we do it all the training in house.

Everyone needs inspiration this year, including me.

PlatinumLandCon
02-20-2009, 09:17 PM
What do you mean what does the door say? The door says 33k GVW, what do you think you write your own GVW in?

That's what I meant. You just have the 26k truck tagged lower than what it'll actually take? I wasn't sure what the factory gvw tag said.

etwman
02-20-2009, 09:20 PM
The 26k GVW is tagged at 26k GVW because that's what it is, it wasn't 33k reduced. The 33's are tagged at 33k. This was all done at the factory when they were built. There is a difference in trucks and frame rails between 33k and 26k. This isn't rocket science, you're going to drive me nuts with this.

riverwalklandscaping
02-20-2009, 09:28 PM
I guess I should be more clear. I'm not looking at different trucks I have a truck I was offered for a really good price. It's a 19,500 GWR Dodge 5500. The rugby dump and hoist weighs in at about 2.5 to 3K plus the 8K of the truck and you've got about 4.5T capacity. My question was if you think a S-N-G on a smaller truck makes any sense or not. I carry mostly wood chips, logs/wood, leaves, brush etc. I think the rugby dump will win out for now because it's got a 12yrd box and a curb side door that fits a 48in pallet and has a spreader tailgate. I know I can't fill the thing with stone, but I usually do smaller patios and stone work, so I usually only need 2 or 3 yards of agg at a time. Mainly because it costs soo much less tho. I think the S-N-G would make more sense on a bigger truck where I could use it to flatbed equipment around. Plus I have a 16,100 GWR dump trailer that fits 12,000 lbs if I need to carry that much somewhere. The 5500 will help because It can actually tow that much unlike the truck I use now.

etwman
02-20-2009, 09:37 PM
If you can afford a SNG I'd do it, it'll work fine on a truck that size and as you grow, its possibilities can grow with you. The other cool thing is that if you need to build another body it can be done while your using the truck with the one you have. Its not like you'll have a truck down for modifications.

westcoh
02-21-2009, 03:10 AM
First the new job body. Fairly similar to what we have, only this one has bigger cross members (the previous body ones were cracking), heavier tailgate, better side locking mechanisms, heavier D rings inside, and a few other things. I'll pick it up from being powder coated next week, then onto get lettered. We have a few other things we'll be adding this year as well.

Hands down, the mason dump body with fold down sides is probably one of the best truck bodies a landscaper/hardscaper could own.

That new mason dump body looks good and solid, they definitely are a great investment. Do you guys get much use out of the flatdeck body when you have fold down sides on all your mason dump bodies?

For anyone out there considering a dump body with fold down sides one thing I'll add is check the width of the dump box and the width of the tires on your truck. I never even thought about it when I got mine and the tires are slightly wider than the body, so when you fold the sides down they'll bump into the fenders over the tires. Over time it dents the fenders a bit as forklifts always tend to bump into the folded down sides when they're loading you up.

Good call on having the fold down sides split into two sections too. Having it as one long piece is definitely heavy for one guy to be folding up himself.

etwman
02-21-2009, 06:27 AM
We're holding onto the flatbed body, it doesn't get used that much other than when we get some really big pallets of material and stacked end to end they are 102" wide. The fold down side bodies are only 96" wide, which is fine for most applications, but every now and then you need something 102" Ironically even the CT332, with all its size, will fit in a fold down side body. Big cubes of block are ususally the only time we need to run for the flatbed.

You're absolutely right about the sides hitting the fenders, you have to be really careful. I'd though about some type of small rubber bumper that would be on the body to keep it from folding all the way down against the fender but haven't done anything about it yet. You just have to be real careful when loading or folding the sides down.

etwman
02-21-2009, 04:17 PM
Today I finally kneeled to the long time pressure of getting a Blackberry. I have been putting something like this off for some time, using just an old motorola phone that I've had for three years. I always said I'm not going to take business with me 24/7, I'm lucky if I carry my cell on the weekend at all. However, times have changed, and the majority of the industry now communicates via email and everyone I know carries one of these technological marvels. If I return to the office after being out for a day, 30-40 emails await me. So now comes the fun in learning all there is on one of these new Storm's. After about three hours I just need to walk away from it, good grief you could adjust the moon with one of these things. My preference would have been an Iphone, but we have no AT&T service at our offices.

If I don't figure this thing out in the next three days my patience will run out and I'll revive the 'ol cell. And we made fun of our parents....right?

Lazer_Z
02-21-2009, 04:39 PM
Jarod, Welcome to the world of owning a Blackberry, I see you got the storm. I've had mine for about a month and it honestly only took me a few days to learn some of it's features. I'm still finding some and others I feel I've mastered. I think you'll like it once you get use to it and you'll think back to how you did everything you did with your old phone. Good luck with it and you'll get the hang of it, don't worry.

On another note, the driveway you did came out amazing, I love the way the colors from the drive complement the house. I look forward to seeing more pictures of these next 4 projects. I know they'll all come out looking great.

PlatinumLandCon
02-21-2009, 05:14 PM
I've got a Curve 8320. I can't handle that touch screen you have! I wanted the 8900 but the price was right on the 8300 series.

hotshot4819
02-21-2009, 06:02 PM
I have the nextel, Blackberry with direct connect, best of both worlds, and just came out about a month ago. its amazing.
I couldnt even imagine going back to a normal phone.
Internet,e-mails,text,direct connect, weather updates automatically, only thing it doesnt do is wipe my butt.

old oak lawn
02-21-2009, 10:51 PM
Yesterday around 10:30 someone posted on this form saying MR ETW was arrogant now with his statements and some other thing as such. That post in now gone. I was wondering what happened? Are we not allowed to disagree with others now?

etwman
02-22-2009, 07:56 AM
I had Nextel back in the day, until we moved into our house and there's a dead zone here for Nextel, so not real good service. AT&T is absent due to a dead zone at our offices, thus leaving my options to Verizon or two styrofoam cups and a string.

I would agree with Platinum, I don't know about this keyboard on this phone. I'll give it a little while and see. I have an Ipod touch and like that alot more. Time will tell, but its good to know there's others out there using them.

Tony Clifton
02-22-2009, 07:59 AM
Yesterday around 10:30 someone posted on this form saying MR ETW was arrogant now with his statements and some other thing as such. That post in now gone. I was wondering what happened? Are we not allowed to disagree with others now?

LOL, I checked in to see what the response to that thread was. I believe it went along this guy meeting upper mgmt. and owners from some of the big companies like James River Grounds Mgmt., Ruppert maybe?...can't remember the names of all the companies but they are the big guys in the industry. Anyhow, he said none of them came off nearly as arrogant as a certain someone.

I just have to say that I think alot of people are getting alot from Jarod's posts, so more power to him.

Tony Clifton
02-22-2009, 09:16 AM
LOL, I checked in to see what the response to that thread was. I believe it went along this guy meeting upper mgmt. and owners from some of the big companies like James River Grounds Mgmt., Ruppert maybe?...can't remember the names of all the companies but they are the big guys in the industry. Anyhow, he said none of them came off nearly as arrogant as a certain someone.

I just have to say that I think alot of people are getting alot from Jarod's posts, so more power to him.

I just came back and reread my post and realized that it sounds more negative than intended. I was curious to the reply, I think the point I was trying to make does not come across.
My point was that this person said what I posted but I felt that alot of people were getting alot of info from Jarod, so who cares how he comes across. (in a nutshell that is my point without typing several paragraphs)

ALarsh
02-22-2009, 12:23 PM

I saw that too. :waving: Best just to let it go. I don't mind sorting through arrogance to find knowledge.

Adam's Lawn and Garden
02-22-2009, 01:33 PM
Its hard to tell if someone is arrogant over the internet. Especially if the only time they post is to be informative. Hey jarod, I don't know about the storm if I was typing a lot. I'm on my curve right now which has its own keyboard and I love it. Now back to the capitals game, be a shame for the pens to lose.
Adam :weightlifter:

old oak lawn
02-22-2009, 05:02 PM
I saw that too. :waving: Best just to let it go. I don't mind sorting through arrogance to find knowledge.

I agree, And i do like this trend. I just think if someone has something to say it should not be removed. :waving:

etwman
02-22-2009, 06:20 PM
Iím going to have a civil post here. 10 years ago, after obtaining a small business loan, I made a decision to start this company from scratch based off a small business plan. After a lot of risk, determination, management, and persistence it has evolved into a debt free company that has penetrated a niche market of six digit figure builds. This did not all happen by waving a magic wand, I will assure you it was a lot of hard work. As this company has grown it requires more and more of my time and less time to be involved in online communities. I will assure you that 136 pages of posting pictures, theories, advice, and principles on this site, of what I hope are good business practices, hold little benefit to me though some may think differently. It is my belief that there are others out there who share the same determination and dreams that I have. If in some small way I can help to encourage the growth of reputable, honest, quality based business owners, especially in a down economy, than I feel Iíve done due diligence.

Can I take criticism? Sure, If I didnít make a point in meeting with many other green industry leaders throughout the year to seek their advice and input, I wouldnít be that the place where I am now.

If you define this as arrogance than I offer my sincerest apology but keep in mind no one is holding a gun to your head to be subscribed to this forum. You are here by choice. This thread has more views than any other thread on this site; Iíd like to think there is a reason. Hopefully it can continue to be an insightful tool for everyone. If not, I will graciously excerpt my efforts elsewhere and I'm not saying that to be "arrogant."

EagleLandscape
02-22-2009, 07:07 PM
Jarod,

We appreciate your advice. I hope to meet you in the near future. Continue doing great work, and conducting yourself in a professional manner.

oakhillslandscaping
02-22-2009, 07:33 PM
jarod if you leave this forum it would be terrible. this thread is the reason i check in on this site on a daily bases. since i started coming to this forum your thread has been great motivation with all of you success and insite you truely give hope to me and i hope many others. i hope other peoples ignorance and probably jealousy does not ruin what we are all here to do

Mid Michigan Maintenance
02-23-2009, 01:53 PM
Sweet set up i wish ond day to be that big.

Lawnworks
02-23-2009, 07:07 PM
How about... lets just ignore the guy who made that remark? He might of mistaken confidence with arrogance. Obviously, ETW is a great guy... I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Carry on! Lets see some more pics!

PlatinumLandCon
02-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Sweet set up i wish ond day to be that big.

I might be out of line by saying this, but what's with all the guys that wish and hope to be as big as some of the nicer companies on here?
Personally, I feel if you say "I will be that big in X years", that will push you to meet a goal. I have personal and professional goals that I set and tweak all the time, and seeing a company like Jarod's gives me motivation to be a leader in my field (I will be out of landscape work within 5 years and full time into roadbuilding/paving/excavation/concrete and similar heavy civil projects). The professionalism and quality standards can be applied to anything, from newspaper delivery up to car manufacturing or publishing (just a few random examples).
It could be my confidence and pride that doesn't allow me to wish and only allows me to take action, but whatever it is, I'm sure it'll help me emulate Jarod's business sense and execution in any line of work.
That being said, I have very high respect for Earth, Turf & Wood and admire the standard they've set for the landscape industry.

etwman
02-24-2009, 04:24 PM
We moved into Project A today and set up shop for what will probably be 3-4 months. We started putting Integral lights in the top of the walls so they can be capped with brick, over 100 will go in this project, which doesn't include the other low voltage lighting. Travertine should be here next week. We'll start prepping base tomorrow.

Piece of advice. In pic 4 & 5 you see voids, deep voids where patio surface will eventually go. Add too that there's tons of pool plumbing all over the place. Best solution for compaction: flowable fill, hands down. I refuse to prep base and lay pavers on top of this without guaranteed stabilization. And no, you won't get it out of 2A modified around all those voids and I even question 3/4 clean. Keep it in mind for a future project. 10 yards of flowable fill in a mixer truck for $1k is a solid guarantee. What would it cost you to come back and fix it later?

etwman
02-24-2009, 04:27 PM
Project B is in full force. The boulders are beginning to be set and we'll be there for quite some time with all the plantings and flagstone. It'll take 3 weeks to set all the boulders alone.

I'll post some layouts of Project C & D in the next week or so. Those too will be neat.

Often, in the beginning of a season you'll forsee "the cornerstone project of the year" This year its a total toss up. All my guys love these neat builds and its hard to say which will be my favorite.

PlatinumLandCon
02-24-2009, 05:56 PM
Wow very nice stuff! Too bad our build season isn't longer, a full 9-10 months would be BEAUTIFUL.

Keep us updated as always, great work you guys do!

CertPro
02-24-2009, 09:33 PM
ETW - I would recommend wrapping your plumbing in a thin Styrofoam (like the material used on sill plates) to help with the pressuring effects of a freeze/thaw. It will take some of the pressure off the plumbing itself and allow the flow fill to expand/contract.
btw - whats the compaction rate of trash? LOL!

riverwalklandscaping
02-24-2009, 11:07 PM
Whoever said you are arrogant is an idiot. I greatly appreciate your posts and they have helped me tremendously.

Anyways... I'm surprised you haven't used a smart phone before now. I use an HTC Fuze (it's a brand not many have heard of) that is a windows mobile based smart phone. It's basically got any feature an iphone has but also a slide out keyboard because I can't type on the iphone to save my life. I rely on the thing to be able to check the weather and radar while at work anywhere, and because it has all my emails forwarded directly to it so I can check that anytime. I can check store hours via their websites from on the road, or pull up google maps when the GPS is making no sense about an address. My favorite feature is that it has microsoft word and excel and so forth, so if a customer ever has a question I can pull up my files that are automatically synced with my PC and pull up payment history, or copies of bills right on the phone and answer the customer immediately. I can also input expenses and so on before I forget about them. Also accessing my online banking from the phone is super helpful. Anyways what I'm getting at is that I think you will be very happy being able to utilize all the time maximizing functions of these awesome phones, but unfortunately it is easy to become reliant up them. I broke the screen on one of my earlier models and was going crazy waiting to get a new one.

Oh yeah, it's also got a level function... but I wouldn't trust it over a regular level :dizzy:

Looks like the kobelco wants to tip over in the first pic

One other question. I don't want to bring up numbers because forums are no place for them, but I'm just curious, are profit margins on larger jobs lower, higher, or roughly equal to smaller landscape jobs. I know it's company dependent what a profit margin is, but holding things constant in your experience, does it benefit to do fewer larger jobs over more smaller ones? I mean obviously there is less transport costs, increased economies of scale, and so on, but like I said just curious how the size of the job effects your margins.

etwman
02-25-2009, 08:36 AM
Cert Pro - I would agree with your statement under normal circumstances, however those are pool lines, which are below frost line and they get blown out anyway when the pool is winterized in the late fall. Because of this I don't think it is as imperitive that they get wrapped. If they were water lines, above frost line, then yes absolutely.

Reiverwalk - Its a loaded question. Bigger jobs can be more profitable, but they are a huge risk to be run efficiently, and I mean huge. Small jobs just have to be run efficiently regardless, but at least you know your done soon, but they can be profitable too. Quote a big job, run it poorly, and it'll be your last. Run a small job poorly and the bleeding will end soon. In the rare event we do a small 5 day patio, the second day we have to think about what needs to be backhauled so that by day 5 your not sitting around at 3 p.m. saying how in the world am I going to get everything out of here. Here's the other thing with really big jobs. There will inevitablly be phases that can't be quoted and some that need to be done on T/M, there's no two ways around it, you want to be fair to the customer. Your company's reputation for efficiency, trust, and quality has to proceed you on these jobs, or a customer will never be willing to let you do aspects on T/M. There are companies out there that will take alot of advantage of a situation given a T/M phase and it can end in a real financial mess. What causes this? The contractor didn't know what he was doing, period end of sentence. We have a reputation out there that if "you can get ETW to do some of your work on big projects on T/M you'll come out ahead" because we are that efficient in how we do things. You do good work on T/M, save a customer money, and I'll guarantee you (as sure as I am the sun will rise tomorrow) it will come back around. So to answer your question it all comes down to how you run things. We've done larger projects that we have not been as profitable as smaller ones, and vice versa. The key is to analize it after that fact and figure out how to do it better in the future.

yeayea14
02-25-2009, 09:27 AM
Jarod, how is that blackberry coming along?

etwman
02-25-2009, 09:35 AM
I like it, still a couple bugs to iron out with downloading attachments, etc., but I'm getting the hang of it. I'm headed out of town tomorrow for a few days so it'll be nice to leave the laptop behind.

riverwalklandscaping
02-25-2009, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the input. I do see what you mean with larger projects potentially becoming very big headaches. I quoted the largest job we've ever done this past summer doing some land clearing and I had the cost end up being almost 2.5 times what we had originally expected, but I had worked so long for the customer that they knew they could trust me and I had told them originally that this could easily happen. It ended up being more of a local railroad and power line company's fault than mine. I had to fell trees and run machines in railroad right-of-ways and they would only let me work at specific times of the day. This originally was not supposed to interrupt me much but ended up allowing us to only be able to work 30min out of every hour. Plus as it was clearing forest to allow for a lake view there was no original plan about exactly how much was going to be done, and the customer changed their mind about 10 times during the project. I could not wait for the job to be over because it took up about a month when I planned on 10-14 days to get it done and it really threw me off schedule. I've always thought time and materials was the most fair to both contractor and customer, but unfortunately not many customers seem to want t&m.

mrusk
02-25-2009, 01:05 PM
It seems like you guys have a much longer work season 3 hours south from us. We still have over a foot of frost in the ground.

etwman
02-25-2009, 03:53 PM
Frost line went out here about two weeks ago, we haven't had much snow.

For all you mowing nuts...picked up our Hustler today. Didn't really do any shopping, just thought it was a good deal. Huster Super Z, 27hp Kohler, 60" deck, flex forks, Bac-Vac, 280 hours, spare set of blades and belts, got it for $5,900.00. It was a homeowner machine, never used commerically. It'll be a good shop mower. Acutally I dumped an old 2500 and had $4,300.00 out of pocket. I didn't think it was such a bad deal. I think these things are over $11k new.

Adam's Lawn and Garden
02-25-2009, 07:24 PM
So Jarod when do you want to take your hustler and my exmark to the race track and see whose is faster? haha, are projects a or b, project X? Or have you guys not even hit that mountain yet.
Adam

2brothersyardcare
02-26-2009, 06:28 AM
why a shop mower?

etwman
02-26-2009, 07:49 AM
We are on our 6th set of landscape plans for x. My hope is that we would start construction on it late summer, we have a retainer on it now. I don't know if we'll be able to publicize photos of it or not on forums or in magazines, my initial thought is no because of privacy issues but time will tell. Several of the ones we have under construction now will most likely be in one of two upscale magazines after they are completed. I'll know more on this in the next three months.

why a shop mower? Because we need something to paint the shop walls with........

We need to mow the grass at the shop and office maybe.;)

riverwalklandscaping
02-26-2009, 09:19 AM
lol I paid 10,200 for that exact mower not long ago less the flex forks

Adam's Lawn and Garden
02-26-2009, 12:30 PM
I think what 2brothers meant was that you should pay me to drive over and mow it for you? I'll give you a good deal!payup

2brothersyardcare
02-26-2009, 03:04 PM
i meant why do you need a mower just for the shop?

riverwalklandscaping
02-26-2009, 05:17 PM
I'm guessing because a mower is usually used to cut grass, and his shop has grass?

Ben's Landscape
02-26-2009, 05:36 PM
Very Nice equipment!!!

kreft
02-26-2009, 07:22 PM
I'm guessing because a mower is usually used to cut grass, and his shop has grass?

What he is saying is why doesn't etw just use one of the mowers from the mowing rig, you prick.

man some people.......

PlatinumLandCon
02-26-2009, 08:08 PM
What he is saying is why doesn't etw just use one of the mowers from the mowing rig, you prick.

man some people.......

Relax man, the hustlers they have are ancient and they need a shop mower. Besides, the guy that asked has only been a member for a month, so how would he know etw has a mowing rig? Do a few seconds of research before calling someone a prick. Asking why someone bought a grass cutting machine is pretty stupid though.

riverwalklandscaping
02-26-2009, 08:34 PM
I was simply being sarcastic because asking why some needs a shop mower is like asking why someone needs a bale spear.. its used for exactly what its name entails .. to spear bales

PlatinumLandCon
02-26-2009, 08:35 PM
I was simply being sarcastic because asking why some needs a shop mower is like asking why someone needs a bale spear.. its used for exactly what its name entails .. to spear bales

Exactly! lol

lifetree
02-26-2009, 08:46 PM
... picked up our Hustler today. Didn't really do any shopping, just thought it was a good deal. Huster Super Z, 27hp Kohler, 60" deck, flex forks, Bac-Vac, 280 hours, spare set of blades and belts, got it for $5,900.00. It was a homeowner machine, never used commerically ...

etwman -- Congratulations, that's a good deal you got !! Just 1 question, do you know how many bushels that Bac Vac holds ?? And also, can you dump it from the operator seat without having to get up ??

A-Land
02-26-2009, 10:32 PM
etwman -- Congratulations, that's a good deal you got !! Just 1 question, do you know how many bushels that Bac Vac holds ?? And also, can you dump it from the operator seat without having to get up ??

9 Bushels if they haven't changed it. The new ones have 9 bushels, operates fully from the operator's seat.

riverwalklandscaping
02-27-2009, 10:34 AM
They are still the same, 9 Bushels. The handle from the operators seat works easily but it does require an unnatural body movement to reach sort of behind you to pull on what can sometimes be a sorta hard pull if the full weight of the grass is causing tension on the level. My mother who is a doctor said that the repetitive use of that exact lever is likely to be what caused a shoulder/arm problem I developed last year. I recommend turning your body slightly each time you use it.

It's a super efficient setup, but it's not very useful if you don't have an on site dump spot, because it can't dump into the back of a truck or anything. You can dump into your dump trailer if you have ramps that allow you to back up into the trailer. They have to be a pretty gentle angle though because the angle of departure is not that great. I'd say I can mow an area that would fill my accelerator catcher about 15 times before I have to dump it. The impeller + blades do a much better job chopping the grass and the large hopper has so much weight to it that it really packs the grass in good.

2brothersyardcare
02-27-2009, 02:57 PM
ive read on her before i was a member for almost a year

lawnboyscsra
02-27-2009, 07:07 PM
PROOF READ or LEARN TO SPELL!!!

etwman
02-27-2009, 08:35 PM
checking in from Raquette Lake NY. 160 miles down, 200 more tomorrow. One last escape before we fully ramp up. Ride on..

rusty_keg_3
02-27-2009, 09:24 PM
Hi, my name is Russell, i am 16 and me and my older brother own and operate a lawn care business. He wants to stick to mowing, but i want to try hardscapes. Where did you learn your stuff, i am assuming books. If so would it be the Black and Decker books at menards? Or some big book, any suggestions. I want to do some small stuff first for my mom, also can you go to school and learn this, i think it would be masonry if so.

P.Services
02-27-2009, 10:23 PM
i am assuming books. If so would it be the Black and Decker books at menards? Or some big book

i belive i just pissed all over myself!!!!!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

lawncare18
02-27-2009, 11:26 PM
checking in from Raquette Lake NY. 160 miles down, 200 more tomorrow. One last escape before we fully ramp up. Ride on..

Some serious riding up there.. unreal amounts of snow this year up there. Hope your having fun.

jg244888
02-28-2009, 12:59 AM
If so would it be the Black and Decker books at menards? Or some big book, any suggestions.

You can read all the books in the world but you wont learn 95% of the stuff without doing jobs start small and slowly grow!!!

rusty_keg_3
02-28-2009, 08:18 AM
I was being sarcastic about the Black and Decker.

riverwalklandscaping
02-28-2009, 12:32 PM
i belive i just pissed all over myself!!!!!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

haha i almost did too

mrusk
02-28-2009, 12:58 PM
I think the book is called "Hardscaping 101, by Mrusk" should be on amazon soon.

Adam's Lawn and Garden
02-28-2009, 04:47 PM
hey rusk, is your last name just rusk? I went searching for you on facebook one day and found a matt rusk in nj and then another matt raskeiwickz ( or something) in nj and had there pic as what looked like the one from your job last winter. Also, can I get an autographed copy of your book. I'm sure some other guys will want theirs autographed too.
adam

mrusk
02-28-2009, 07:21 PM
hey rusk, is your last name just rusk? I went searching for you on facebook one day and found a matt rusk in nj and then another matt raskeiwickz ( or something) in nj and had there pic as what looked like the one from your job last winter. Also, can I get an autographed copy of your book. I'm sure some other guys will want theirs autographed too.
adam

You stalking me bro?

PlatinumLandCon
02-28-2009, 08:09 PM
You stalking me bro?

LOL I didn't want to be the one to say it!

Adam's Lawn and Garden
02-28-2009, 09:00 PM
HA no. I'm friends with a bunch of people from this site on facebook. I just found it odd there where 3 matt rusks from the same part of nj on the site. Believe me, if i was going to stalk someone, which i wouldn't, it sure as heck wouldn't be you.

Hey Jarod, how were those stake bodies on your old dodge attached to the truck bed? Where they aftermarket that you had made? I have wood ones on mine but I want to make them taller and I don't think wood will work.
Adam

mag360
02-28-2009, 09:35 PM
Hi, my name is Russell, i am 16 and me and my older brother own and operate a lawn care business. He wants to stick to mowing, but i want to try hardscapes. Where did you learn your stuff, i am assuming books. If so would it be the Black and Decker books at menards? Or some big book, any suggestions. I want to do some small stuff first for my mom, also can you go to school and learn this, i think it would be masonry if so.

You can search through the hardscaping section of this forum and find a lot of helpful info. Everyone who posts projects on there gets all the faults pointed out. That can be a great resource for you if you have the patience to read through the unintelligent posts.

etwman
03-01-2009, 05:51 PM
In all the years of posting I've never really veered off course to go down the road of personal fun. However, with looking back in and seeing the thread "derailed" a little I figured it would be okay for just once. Riding is a fun past time that I've thoroughly enjoyed with good friends for years. The past couple days I managed to rack up another couple hundred and enjoy the great creation. Below are a couple shots of a bunch of us climbing up to a place we call "Heaven" where you can see in all directions for miles and "play" for a while. Few know its location, which was about 30 miles from Speculator.
If your not careful you can get pretty stuck and spend the better part of your afternoon digging out of the 5' of snow, thus the need for a good long track.

On the way home we stopped at Orange County Choppers and had some fun seeing where they make the bikes and film the show. If you've never been there you should make it a point in going, pretty neat.

If anyone rides, I'd be happy to ride with you sometime up there.

Its back to work this week for the long spring pull...

Adam's Lawn and Garden
03-01-2009, 07:56 PM
Hey Jarod,
Looks like fun! I was reading an article about snowmobiling the other day. How are the trails set up? Do you carry your gear or stay at the same place every night? How do you cross roads? The article I was reading made it sound like you ride across frozen lakes/rivers etc. Are you a motorcycle fan?

Adam

riverwalklandscaping
03-02-2009, 08:26 PM
You didn't get hammered by the storm ?

westcoh
03-02-2009, 09:06 PM
How's that ski-doo been treating you? I've been thinking of trading in my polaris on a summit xp for a while now. The performance of them is unbelievable but all the lightweight parts on them worry me a bit. I just got back from a weekend trip to the rockies. Can't beat a good weekend of riding with fresh powder and clear skies. You should come out to the rocky mountains sometime for some world class sledding, there's nothing else quite like it.

Turtle II
03-03-2009, 08:30 PM
Jarod -

Your company is top shelf... If I didn't see all the pic's I'd have to wonder if you were "FOS"... But to make what you have made in just 8 or so years...that is truly amazing...

I finished with Uncle Sam at the end of 2006 and mowed yards for two years now. Need to find something that I enjoy and makes better money - I enjoy cutting grass - but I can do that on my own two acres...

Just a quick thought for you - you had posted that this is your best "fall" season ever - back in Oct and Nov when the economy was really taking a down turn... I am wondering if all the rich-rich people, ie. your customers, have pulled a large portion of their cash out of a failing market for safety - and now they can actually feel better about spending it on something that gives them value, something tangible that they can see and use...

This upside down economy might just be a blessing for your company to make more sales to the filthy rich...

Anyways Jarod -
Congrats on your success - and thank you for sharing it on Lawn Site here too...

Good luck to you and your family this year -
And Good Luck to everyone here at Lawn Site,

Lance / Turtle II:cool:
Goldsboro, North Carolina

kreft
03-06-2009, 06:53 PM
hows the job's going?

etwman
03-07-2009, 10:20 AM
Project A - 38 crates of imported travertine from Turkey landed yesterday on site. We'll begin installing that and building the kitchen next week or the following.

Project B - About 60% of the boulders are set, granite rock curbing to be installed. We will be constructing an onsite nursery soon to accomodate the first three tractor trailer loads of plant material. The smallest tree ordered is 4.5" caliper.

Project C - Let's call this the one with the CST driveway. We'll be building burms there this week and will begin installing plant material the end of this week or next. 800 pieces going in there with 87 landscape lights.

Project D - I will post plans soon.

Sorry, no pics, will try and get some up in the future. I signed two other projects Friday which puts us out until 4th week in July at this point.

riverwalklandscaping
03-07-2009, 10:46 AM
There is nothing fun about planting 5in trees except for looking at them once you are done

cleancutccl
03-13-2009, 01:31 AM
Jarod, where are you getting your traverine through? Our primary hardscape supplier recently hooked up with, I believe, Custom Stone Products. They seem to be slightly more expensive than competitors but look to offer a good product. Also on the travertine are you tamping to set it, or letting the weight of the stone set itself (which is what distributor from above company recommended).

etwman
03-13-2009, 07:00 PM
Alright this will be fun. Let’s call it Travertine Education 101. Here’s the scoop with this stuff. It’s a neat product to work with, cuts great, and leaves you with a real sharp patio. You can get some cool colors, counter tops, and other things out of it as well. The products have expanded greatly in the last 5 years. That’s the upside. The downside is you are going to go nuts dealing with travertine suppliers. Here’s my take on these guys. I’d say I know of about 8-10 of these “scum feeders” across the country. These aren’t the dealers, they are the middle men and bottom of the barrel. These “scum feeders” are the ones that work between the dealer and the nutcases over in Turkey, Peru, and around the world who actually manufacture travertine. They may stock some inventory in a remote warehouse, but not much. Your hardscape supply outlet isn’t buying overseas, sorry. None, and I mean none of these middle men own any of these mines, they are all brokers so don’t let them tell you otherwise. They buy from all over the world. Here’s the next piece of info, they’ll all sell direct, every last one of them, very little dealer loyalty. Why? Because they aren’t going to move enough product through dealers, they’ll take whatever they can at any cost. If you have a big enough job to buy a full SeaLand container of travertine you’ll have all of them in the palm of your hand. Seriously look around at the dealers they hardly stock any travertine, ever wonder why? We had a project three years ago where a customer , without much effort convinced a “middle man” to sell product them direct. I was livid with them and will never buy again from that source. So can you call up any of these google search places and buy travertine direct? Absolutely, however be prepared to play hardball. They are going to overpromise, under deliver, and it won’t be there on time …it’s a wild game that can save decent money if you’re a risk taker. I can’t recall the last travertine order that I made that showed up on time and was 100% right. It’s a shame because most travertine jobs are high end so your reputation is on the line.

Advise on this? If you are going to buy from a “scum feeder”, which is okay if you know what you are doing, be cautious as to how much $$ you give them upfront. In addition, double the time they promise on delivery. We ordered the 6000 sf (two containers )of travertine last November on a 6 week timetable promise. It showed up last week. Fortunately I’ve been down this road before and knew what to be prepared for. It might be worth the security issue to buy through a dealer that will go to fight for you against these guys, even though it’ll cost another $2/sf.

To answer your other question, no initial compaction tamping once travertine is down.

etwman
03-13-2009, 07:36 PM
Here's the travertine on site. 12 different sizes up to 24x24, 38 crates I believe. The third picture is the building, fireplace going in, and our kitchen is blocked up to grade on the right.

We are custom building all the stainless cabinetry for the kitchen. I'm not a big advocate in buy from these online guru's for stainless kitchen stuff.

riverwalklandscaping
03-16-2009, 11:06 AM
When you're building stuff as tall and what not as what you guys do (looking at the block wall in the first pic), did you or your employees have to take any engineering/architectural schooling besides landscape design? Or do you hire some kind of structural engineer to sign off on the stuff or something?

etwman
03-18-2009, 09:15 PM
This is kind of cool. Project be has got more wild natural stone things in it. We've spent almost 200 hours just setting boulders, steppers, and tons of other stuff. Tree and plants should begin to go in the next two weeks as the first of three tractor trailer loads of plant material arrive.

This was a unique Bridgestone that was set by the front door. You would not want to drop and crack this thing.

The landscape lighting layout is wild! Everthing on this project is natural stone. Check out the pic inside, there's debarked trees all around the house. Really neat.

Project D plan is done, I'll convert it over to jpeg and post it in the next week. Its a neat pool, deck, basketball court project east of Reading.

Junior M
03-18-2009, 09:38 PM
Man you do some awesome work, I got a question, did you ever end up with a fleet pic? Just curious, your trucks always give me another idea..

etwman
03-18-2009, 09:45 PM
No, and we are so busy now it'll be a while. All of our trucks are out every day, we have 5 machines on rental plus ours in the field, and days off are extremely limited. I have a feeling I'll have to pick up two more guys here in the next two weeks.

nnj18
03-18-2009, 09:59 PM
why do you rent so many machines? its seems like with the amount of work you do, you could easily afford a few more machines that you use daily.

or do you own a rental company on the side :laugh:

oh and maybe I missed it?? are you doing all the stone work on this house (last pictured) or do you have subs in as well? just wonderin cuz I see a lotta non-etw trucks

Junior M
03-18-2009, 10:00 PM
why do you rent so many machines? its seems like with the amount of work you do, you could easily afford a few more machines that you use daily.

or do you own a rental company on the side :laugh:

oh and maybe I missed it?? are you doing all the stone work on this house (last pictured) or do you have subs in as well? just wonderin cuz I see a lotta non-etw trucks
Renting is a whole lot easier for what he does, that way when he doesnt have work, no money goin out to pay for machines that arent making money.. Simple as that..

etwman
03-18-2009, 10:04 PM
I will guarantee you we rent better than anyone. We have run the numbers many, many times and it does not pay us to purchase alot of machines. In addition, we use such a diverse array of equipment at times, that we always have new rental equipment at our fingertips anytime we need it. I've talked to some good collegues in this industry about what we pay and their response is rent if you can do it at that.

No we aren't inside the house, we have enought to do outside. I just thought that was a neat fireplace that the masons did.

nnj18
03-18-2009, 10:18 PM
ok just wondering because I see mutliple skid steers and I didnt think those would be hard to justify have two+ of with the amount of jobs you're running at the same time.

PlatinumLandCon
03-19-2009, 09:59 AM
I will guarantee you we rent better than anyone. We have run the numbers many, many times and it does not pay us to purchase alot of machines. In addition, we use such a diverse array of equipment at times, that we always have new rental equipment at our fingertips anytime we need it. I've talked to some good collegues in this industry about what we pay and their response is rent if you can do it at that.

I remember you saying this when you were debating the CT332 purchase years ago, it was just too sweet of a deal to buy when you were demo/renting it.

riverwalklandscaping
03-19-2009, 10:57 PM
Just curious why the bridgestone cant go either right into base or on a set of stones wider than just one width, It's not kinda teetering like that? I mean obviously its not staying like that something is going on the sides of it too but just wondered the purpose of that single lane of concrete blocks.

Are you or one of your guys an architect/engineer besides a landscape designer? Just notice a lot of tall walls and stuff

Dountman
03-19-2009, 11:52 PM
That stuff's wild. Looking good.

etwman
03-20-2009, 10:45 AM
Just curious why the bridgestone cant go either right into base or on a set of stones wider than just one width, It's not kinda teetering like that? I mean obviously its not staying like that something is going on the sides of it too but just wondered the purpose of that single lane of concrete blocks.

Are you or one of your guys an architect/engineer besides a landscape designer? Just notice a lot of tall walls and stuff

We're using the "Real Stone" Veneeer that's 6 inches thick. It'll all blend in the end. Trust me, the weight of that bridgestone, its not going anywhere. There will also be posts on top of the bridgestone going up to the overhead beam. The lighting that is proposed for this is cool.

There are several engineers that are on both of these projects. They are working in conjunction with our LA on these so that everything is built correctly. Then again things change by the day. I laught at the term "no one told me."

nnj18
03-20-2009, 11:22 AM
Are you doing the masonry work out side as well or just the landscaping?

Patatoe1
03-20-2009, 06:22 PM
Perhaps this has been asked and answered already, but are your architects in house?

etwman
03-27-2009, 09:04 PM
We are around the front of the house for a while to do some work there while the pool guys get the coping on the pool in the back. We're installing a belgium block apron, curbing, landscaping, and lighting in the entrance way. There's only one way to do Belgium block aprons correctly. Pour a slab first, then mortor them down to the slab. Anyone who tells you to put them on compacted stone and convinces you that they'll last is out of thier mind. I've seen more aprons torn up from jobs that were put on crushed stone than I care to admit.

I headed out on a 5 hour round trip earlier today to pick up a load of trees for a breather from the office. I found out about a grower who had a nursery of all mature trees which is what I was looking for. I pulled in around 10 a.m. and I was like a kid in a candy store as I gleamed over 80 acres of rare finds. Weeping Norways, Serpian Spruce, and the list goes on and on. There's no website, no availability list, most of the trees are 10 years old, and really neat rare finds. Its in the sticks, no cell service, but a true gold nugget. Places like this are very rare. In the last pic is a row of Laceleaf Japanese Maples, 8" caliber, 10' spread. You don't find things like this very often, let alone 20 of them. Price per piece $3,200.00 and worth every penny.

I'm all about the big stuff, instant landscape. Some guys freak about large plant material, its just a matter of having the right equipment to transport it and plant it.

I'm headed out to Project B Monday a.m. and will put up some pics of that later next week.

C is done with the exception of the counter tops and a few other things.

D will start soon.

meets1
03-27-2009, 10:00 PM
Trees like that are a rare find!

Petr51488
03-28-2009, 12:34 AM
Yea, those Japanese Maples are a hard find, especially at that size. I don't think i would ever spend 3200 on a tree lol Very Nice Work. I'm looking forward in seeing those pool/basketball pictures.

EagleLandscape
03-29-2009, 07:11 AM
Jarod,

I've never sent a concrete truck that pours from the front. Is that specific to that company, or the norm where you live? Is your soil calm enough to not dictate rebar? We have to have #3's every 16" here even for a sidewalk.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=141740&stc=1&d=1238202063

Bizarre.

etwman
03-29-2009, 07:54 AM
That's all companies have around here is front discharge trucks. I only know of one that has a few rear trucks. They are great as it eliminates another guy to move the shoot, also they are 6 wheel drive and can go just about anywhere.

We have two runs of wire in there which will be sufficient enough for what we are doing. That much rebar would be overkill for something like this.

jg244888
03-29-2009, 08:07 AM
here all are front and theres only ever one guy!

tjsquickcuts
03-29-2009, 10:32 AM
Nice Weeping Jap Maples, those things are at least 10 to 20 years old easy. Thats expensive for that size though, but I guess its one of those regional things. Maybe $2k at one of the whole sell growers at most. I agree about instant landscape, especially with trees and all evergreens. With the housing market crash, there are plenty of growers with mature landscape planting that have been sitting for a few years because the builders requested but never picked up once the crash hit at rock bottom prices. Just this week, we bought 100 30gal leyland cypress for $85 per tree with delivery. There were also some Lace Leaf Jap maples 25gal 7-8 ft tall for $80 bucks. Someone had already bought all of them. Nice looking evergreens btw...

riverwalklandscaping
03-29-2009, 03:41 PM
Yeah I am lucky to live pretty close to a great dealer of trees, he grows stuff big to small, wholesale only and is very reasonable. The 3.5in maples and stuff that sell for 750$ at some of the local garden centers are 130$ my price. He doesn't sell evergreens though unfortunately..

I more or less only like to put in larger trees also. The price is not that much different and like you said 'instant landscape'. I think it sucks to wrestle with the big old root balls checking in the ball for girdling roots and so fourth and dealing with eliminating air pockets when you get them in the ground, but they look so much better. We usually do 8-10ft evergreens and 3.5in decid's. I would do bigger but I only use a smaller backhoe to move them around, and any bigger I'd need some bigger equipment. (pic of one of the 12ft Norway Spruces I threw in at my house not long before the snow came this winter) Certainly beats buying a foot tall one and waiting 10 years for it to be any decent size at all.

Wonder how they manage to spade those JM out with such a wide spread?

etwman
03-29-2009, 05:16 PM
The only way to get those japanese maples out correctly at that size is to hand dig them. They have one or two people they can contact that can do it correctly.

P.Services
03-29-2009, 06:43 PM
hey etwman is that 332 legal on the roll off? whats the gvw? i was going to buy a 650 rolloff but the dot told me i wont be legal on it.

oakhillslandscaping
03-29-2009, 07:26 PM
i used to work at a garden center that had three of those jap maples and they sold for a large mark up and once planted looked they looked awesome... lookin good Jarod

etwman
03-29-2009, 09:22 PM
hey etwman is that 332 legal on the roll off? whats the gvw? i was going to buy a 650 rolloff but the dot told me i wont be legal on it.

Absolutely, that truck is 33K GVW. It can carry 16k legally. That 332 only weighs around 10,600 lbs. I can put a 322 on the trailer and move both at the same time legally.

kreft
04-02-2009, 08:49 PM
Awesome work as usual!

Any more updates?

Supper Grassy
04-02-2009, 08:58 PM
Awesome Projects you are working on

mowerdude777
04-12-2009, 06:19 PM
Holy crap this thread started 7 years ago

etwman
04-12-2009, 07:58 PM
Been extremely busy. Two more meetings this week about two more large projects. We are at nine full time now all with benefits, and will most likely add two more guys soon, plus several part time. Keep in mind we were at four full time last year with one or two seasonal. If we close on these two we'll be out until late August/September.

Here's an update on A. The front is mostly done. The back we are establishing final grade. Over 400 tons of 2A are going in. Kitchen will be blocked up this week and travertine will begin going down. Most of the large trees are here and the rest of the plants will arrive soon to be placed in a staging area. The more of this larger material we can get onsite before it foliates the better.

etwman
04-12-2009, 08:00 PM
Here's a couple more.

jg244888
04-12-2009, 08:02 PM
beautiful work!!!!!!!!

etwman
04-12-2009, 08:14 PM
Okay here's Project B. Now this is really tough to visualize because nothing has really foliated yet. There's about 1000 pieces in the ground, about that much still in the onsite nursery, and more loads coming in over the next few weeks. We're setting granite curbing this week, lighting goes in on the embankment, few more boulders set, then mulch the embankment. From there we'll move around the back side to start on the other side of the house. This is a really neat project, and will be neater yet once everything comes alive in the next three weeks.

Supper Grassy
04-12-2009, 09:02 PM
Projects A and B look great

EagleLandscape
04-13-2009, 08:16 AM
Jarod,

Do you do any irrigation. Seem some impressive hardscape and landscape work, but no irrigation yet. Do you sub it, or is it not needed in your area?

riverwalklandscaping
04-13-2009, 09:31 AM
funky overhang on that big barn in the background.. wonder if its good and sturdy. looks like its sagging a bit

etwman
04-13-2009, 06:05 PM
Irrigation is not deemed a necessity in this area, we get a decent amount of rain. We do have one foreman with irrigation knowledge and both of these properties have it in one location or another, thus we may end up expanding it.

That barn isn't going anywhere. Its "lancaster county" built. That thing is probably 150 years old and is solid.

meets1
04-13-2009, 08:31 PM
Awesome work as usual!! I don't like talking numbers but what are some of these projects coming in at??

kreft
04-20-2009, 07:23 PM
any updates etw?

etwman
04-21-2009, 08:15 AM
Extremely busy.....with the emphasis on extreme.

etwman
04-21-2009, 04:51 PM
You guys need to settle down a little. North Jersey contractors are a rare breed in themselves. I'm not going down that road by I find humor in every one of them I know. I was originally from NJ 15 years ago and I know that type, just let it go.

The boulder wall, for what its worth, was on the back side of a spring house. You won't even see it when its done and we used the leftover boulders there according to the LA's wishes, give it a rest.

We're setting old granite curbing now which will be concreted in tomorrow. There a flat rocks thoughout with hidden drains underneath which will get rid of the runoff from the driveway. Its pretty cool. The entrance way to the house will come together after the curbing is in. Random rocks placed in a flagstone walk, neat effect. We just order two more tractor trailer loads of trees to be set in the onsite nursery. Next week we'll mulch the incline and begin to move around the back.

mrusk
04-21-2009, 05:55 PM
[QUOTE=etwman;2945408] North Jersey contractors are a rare breed in themselves.
QUOTE]

rare breed = very smart, good looking and business savy. :cool2:

etwman
04-21-2009, 06:03 PM
Somehow I knew after I posted that you would surface to enlighted all of us.

Dan85
04-21-2009, 06:20 PM
Fantastic Work, I really enjoy watching the progress of your projects.

- Dan

Real Green
04-21-2009, 06:22 PM
Somehow I knew after I posted that you would surface to enlighted all of us.

Jarod, my father and I got the e-mail update. Congratulations! I'd really like to come visit. Talk to you soon.

wurkn with amish
04-21-2009, 07:33 PM
How high is the concrete going up the curbing?
Are you using a blower or wheelbarrows on the incline?
Looks bare with all the deciduous plants, but I'll wait to comment once they leaf out.
Thats definitely a cool looking job. and house!

etwman
04-21-2009, 07:41 PM
Concrete up to about 6" from the top, running a bead on both sides. Then they'll put radiant heat in the driveway. Tar and chip on top of that I believe, but don't quote me on that.

I haven't decided on the hill yet, probably wheel barrows and the high lift.

I'm just as anxious to see it all leaf in as much as anyone, give it 3 more weeks and it'll be there. We just got about 70 brushed copper lights in that we'll use to light up trees up there.

afg
04-21-2009, 08:28 PM
nothing has ever really impressed me on this site..... until now. top notch all the way around. wish i could come learn from you all. keep it up. by the way, everyone on here needs to sit back, shut up, and pay attention to what these guys are doing. no more you should have done this, why didn't you do that bullsh*t, everyone on here has something learn from this operation.

wayside
04-21-2009, 08:31 PM
Everything is coming out super nice man cant wait to see everything finished.

mrusk
04-21-2009, 08:59 PM
Jarod your looking kind of pale in those pics. You better go hit the tanning salon. Oh wait PA contractors don't do that.

etwman
04-21-2009, 09:06 PM
That's because some PA contractors are too busy now. However North Jersey contractors (and there are quite a few of them) have time to go to the salon, gym, and bird watch because they don't know what to do with themselves. In addition most of their vendors are joining them as well.

That was the first time I got out on a jobsite in a week, mainly to meet with Tim. And that was only because my wife wanted to see the project for the first time.

pvs landscaping
04-21-2009, 10:17 PM
Big project, its looking good. Good luck.

lukemelo216
04-21-2009, 11:28 PM
You guys need to settle down a little. North Jersey contractors are a rare breed in themselves. I'm not going down that road by I find humor in every one of them I know. I was originally from NJ 15 years ago and I know that type, just let it go.

The boulder wall, for what its worth, was on the back side of a spring house. You won't even see it when its done and we used the leftover boulders there according to the LA's wishes, give it a rest.

We're setting old granite curbing now which will be concreted in tomorrow. There a flat rocks thoughout with hidden drains underneath which will get rid of the runoff from the driveway. Its pretty cool. The entrance way to the house will come together after the curbing is in. Random rocks placed in a flagstone walk, neat effect. We just order two more tractor trailer loads of trees to be set in the onsite nursery. Next week we'll mulch the incline and begin to move around the back.

I love it in the last picture, how its break time once the boss steps on the job, even the guy way in the back is trying to get a listen in really quick. I must say though, you do very exceptional work, and you have come a long way just since I started reading this thread. Keep up the good work and keep us posted

etwman
04-22-2009, 02:42 PM
Stopped in at one of our other one's today to snap a couple shots. They are blocking up the kitchen and setting the channel drains. Tomorrow they'll fine tune the base and begin laying travertine.

We landed another decent job today which means hiring two more. I'll look through resumes and make some decisions shortly.

Supper Grassy
04-22-2009, 03:34 PM
Project looks good

jg244888
04-22-2009, 03:48 PM
looks amazing!!!

Summit L & D
04-22-2009, 07:07 PM
Did you end up putting flowable fill around that pool area? If not, what was the compromise?

mrusk
04-22-2009, 07:50 PM
Was the stone on the walls suppose to math the veener on the house?

riverwalklandscaping
04-22-2009, 07:52 PM
i never liked math class (sorry I had to)

etwman
04-22-2009, 09:05 PM
Flowable fill was used in about 4 locations, with 4 different loads. In my opinion there is no subsitute for this. You won't get the right compaction around 16 pieces of conduit in a three foot area.

Here's the deal with the stone Matt. The stone on the house is the "real deal" Came from a quarry. The stone on the raised sitting walls around the pool is a very very close match and is the "real stuff" as well. The photos don't do it justice, its closer than it looks. The quarry that the original stone came from closed down and they couldn't get it from there anymore so that complicated things. The brown stone on the pool raised beam, matches the fireplace, which will match the stone on the kitchen. When all is said and done I really don't think anyone will pick up on the slight variation in the end. Alot of options were explored and that was the closest they could get.

The stone on the back of the fireplace is a mix of both the brown and grey.

tthomass
04-25-2009, 11:42 PM
Looks good Jarod.

etwman
04-29-2009, 03:31 PM
Drystone walls are being installed on project B, flagstone will be going down soon, and two more loads of plant material to come in Friday.

Attached are the first look at Project D. Preliminaries show 5400 sf of patio, 1800 sf of wall, alot of masonry, pool, etc. We will begin work here in about weeks.

We filled two more positions and are completely maxed out with equipment so some critical decisions will be forthcoming.

EagleLandscape
04-29-2009, 04:00 PM
Looks good. Is Project D new construction or a remodel?

architecture looks a little dated.

etwman
04-29-2009, 04:17 PM
It was an old farmhouse dwelling that was raised and had a new addition put on it. The landscape design is pretty neat and should really bring the place alive.

CertPro
04-29-2009, 04:52 PM
Are those walls completely dry stacked or do they have a mortar back?

etwman
04-29-2009, 05:11 PM
There's some mortor inside (thus the buckets of mortor there) but they are going to be freestanding. Not retaining. You can't do a backing on them since they'll be exposed on both sides.

wurkn with amish
04-30-2009, 03:11 PM
Are the free standing walls on compacted base? If they are and you're putting mortar inside do you worry about it coming apart down the road? with freeze /thaw

etwman
04-30-2009, 03:41 PM
It is a dry stacked free standing stone wall. We use a very small amount of mortor on the inside / along with some clean stone to aid in construction. Its all on a crushed stone base. It will weather the test of time.

etwman
05-04-2009, 12:18 PM
Travertine beginning to go down on Project A. Our hope is that all the travertine and accent cuts will be in by Memorial Day Weekend. The project won't be done by then but hopefully the pool will be utilized.

We just ordered and Ernie Els certified 900 sf putting green for this project from Florida which will be incorporated into the landscape.

The rain is killing us as we've struggled to get 50 hour weeks in for the last 7 weeks. Our back log of works continues to pile up and I'll be headed out to look at another truck this afternoon.

Tony Clifton
05-04-2009, 02:14 PM
Wow, that looks great. How slick does that travertine get when it's wet? I know it's under a roof but they did a good job polishing that stuff up.

jg244888
05-04-2009, 03:31 PM
looks great!!!! what base is that set on?

etwman
05-04-2009, 04:08 PM
Base is on 1" of sand and around 10" of modified. A decent amount of this travertine is honed and finished. The pics are of it wet, but when we seal it that'll be pretty close to what it looks like. This whole project will really come alive in the next two weeks.

I went truck shopping today and found one I liked. I'll decide in the next few days. Its funny, two years ago I can remember walking into a dealership with a pitch fork and flat shovel to negotiate a deal on a truck. After three hours you'd get down a couple hundred and take it or leave it. Today? Holy Cow! After five minutes they give you a price that I almost feel half bad about negotiating. Like their lowest price is lower than what I was thinking of offering. Like what do you do then? Then you tell them it'll be a cash deal and they're about to pee their pants. I mean I do feel for this economy but wow what a change two years can make.

Tony Clifton
05-04-2009, 05:14 PM
There is no better time than now to upgrade or replace your fleet. Seeing crew cab 5500 dumps advertised for under 38k. Was just quoted 27k on a w4500 with a 14' dump. Those are not negotiated prices - they were the starting point.

etwman
05-04-2009, 06:52 PM
I was quoted $14k today on a really nice Freighliner cab and chassis. Black, Air ride, 9 speed Fuller, power windows/locks, 33K GVW, low miles, Alcoa Rims, chromed out. I'll be able to put a truck on the road for less than $30k. Unreal.

If you can afford to do it now, and can keep it busy, you'll save a tremendous amount. These prices won't last forever.

jg244888
05-04-2009, 07:28 PM
what does a sng cost?

etwman
05-04-2009, 07:45 PM
Depends on the truck you're putting it on. I'd say anywhere from $6 - $12k, plus a body or two. Go to their website and contact a dealer. The nice thing is that we're at a point where we have enough bodies, so all we need is another truck, sng system, and alluminum tool box.

Supper Grassy
05-04-2009, 07:52 PM
did you decide to get the new truck?

etwman
05-04-2009, 08:02 PM
Still running some numbers.....not totally sold on it yet, but getting there. This will primariliy be our spare or we'll rotate #3 (our 26K ) into the spare. With three crews out full tilt you have to have a spare truck or you'll end up in a mess at some point.

scagmower
05-04-2009, 08:04 PM
wow awesome setups!!! i really like the black enclosed!!! i have a 7x18!!! wish i could keep it as clean as you do!!! haha:usflag:

Supper Grassy
05-04-2009, 08:12 PM
got it. is it mainly 1 crew per job or do you have more than one per job?

also all crews are capable of everything not just task specific?

Petr51488
05-04-2009, 10:21 PM
Still running some numbers.....not totally sold on it yet, but getting there. This will primariliy be our spare or we'll rotate #3 (our 26K ) into the spare. With three crews out full tilt you have to have a spare truck or you'll end up in a mess at some point.

I'm surprised you don't have more then one spare. I have 2 spare that i could rely on something happens. One beater, one nice ride, and another daily mowing truck.

flairland
05-04-2009, 10:36 PM
Wow, the travertine looks awesome! I don't understand how you lay it, and keep it level without screeding the sand??

Dirt Digger2
05-04-2009, 11:23 PM
hey ETW...that Kobelco blade runner looks familiar, not a whole lot around the area

that job isn't anywhere near Leola PA is it?

jg244888
05-05-2009, 07:27 AM
why did you choose sng over hook lift?

etwman
05-05-2009, 07:45 AM
We have one crew per job now, but honestly we could double up on one of those is I had the guys. I need to be careful how many I hire, we've hired alot this spring and I need to make sure we can keep them busy for the year. Right now this rain is an absolute thorn. Its been several years since we've had a spring this wet and its not helping the schedule any at all. All the crews are capable of runnning on different jobs at this point, however with the complexity of each I do everything possible to make sure we don't juggle guys. They each know their project well, moving guys around kills efficiency.

We've grown quick this spring and we need to be careful of that. From go it takes about 6 weeks under ideal conditions to put another truck on. I'll admit I didn't see this coming and we have no spare at this point, but we'll make do. Our trucks are maintained pretty well so hopefully everything will hold out.

That travertine in that area is screeded on a bed of sand. The kicker there is they are 24x24's in that area so you have to rescreed before laying one because they are so heavy to set. There's really no easy way. Once we get out of the building we'll use smaller ones and it'll go quicker.

Close to the Leola area.

SNG over hooklift. There's quite a bit of talk about that in this forum. SNG is the right system for our application, less expensive and it does the job.