PDA

View Full Version : Equipment photos

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13

Adam's Lawn and Garden
05-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Jarod don't you guys have one of the new Freightliners?

JDavisLandscapes
05-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Everything looks great! I love the travertine

etwman
05-05-2009, 10:22 PM
Project A Updates: Not much, more travertine going down, kitchen getting veneered, and I picked up the first set of rod iron gates we had custom made to take to the powder coating place. There will be others coming.

Project B Updates: Plantings are starting to leaf in and the place is coming alive, of course in ankle deep mud. The patio is going in the back, walls are going up, and the next several loads of plant material arrived in our onsite nursery. You can buy better in full loads but you have to have a good staging area. Ours is under a tree canopy where we can stage material in soils and irrigation.

Enough with the rain already, itís raining again! Iím not sure which is more frustrating, keeping a fleet of black trucks clean, losing productivity, or both.

Project C: With the pool and kitchen is done. Landscaping and lighting are all in. I shot some pics but need to post them.

Project D: Were picking materials and finalizing designs.

etwman
05-05-2009, 10:28 PM
Project B Photos posted below.

riverwalklandscaping
05-06-2009, 01:36 AM
starting to look awesome with the leaves coming in

not sure I could deal with the 4 or 5 diff stone styles at that one place, but the work is awesome

CertPro
05-06-2009, 09:40 AM
I would have spread out those lighter travertine pieces to give more of a random look. I would pull from several pallets at once to avoid large areas like that

cat320
05-06-2009, 10:41 AM
It is looking very nice i can't imaging what a job like that is running espically in this economy

riverwalklandscaping
05-06-2009, 03:24 PM
bad economy would theoretically run the price down, not up

lukemelo216
05-06-2009, 04:40 PM
how are you spreading your mulch? Bark blower or just using wheel barrows

etwman
05-06-2009, 06:12 PM
I did catch that with the travertine, we'll sub a couple out, that's pretty easy to do. Even with pulling from different crates you don't really know what you have until you wet it for the first time.

Should be road bound in 3-4 weeks or less. This one has some kahunas to it. 270 hp CAT with a 9 speed Fuller. 33k GVW, air ride. We've gotten this down to a science.

P.Services
05-08-2009, 11:37 PM
black mulch? you lost me there

Drew Gemma
05-09-2009, 12:21 AM
Not to turn this into anything else, but where can I get some good info on tavertine? I have been thinking about using it for my walk at home. Just not sure how well it will hold up in the country being abused daily and cold weather ie salt residue and freeze thaw. Thanks and as always ETW you and your work are the standard for excellence.

etwman
05-09-2009, 07:43 AM
It is brown mulch, I know it looks like black, but trust me its brown.

Travertine is a natural product. Most natural products hold up to the test of time since they've been around forever. I'd google travertine dealers, its all over the place.

Quote of the week: "When the economical tide goes out you discover real quick who was skinny dipping and who wasn't"

etwman
05-14-2009, 10:12 PM
Couple of good shots of Bent Creek that were taken for publications. This was the job we did late last summer.

The new truck is moving along very rapidly. I would anticipate it to be on the road within the next two weeks completely done. Box is mounted behind the cab, lettered tomorrow, and fabrication will begin Monday. This one is going together quick, mainly because it has too. We're putting another big bay door in our shop for it, which should be done next week.

Other projects are moving along well. No new pics, but will get some next week.

Tyler7692
05-14-2009, 10:30 PM
bad economy would theoretically run the price down, not up

Not necessarily. When the government prints money out of thin air (like they are doing to finance all these bailouts and stimulus crap), it devalues the currency. Hence, everything costs more (Inflation).

Don't be surprised if bread is $10 a loaf next year. I can almost guarantee that the US is in for a hyperinflationary depression, which is when the prices spiral out of control and the cost of living is so great that no one can afford.... hardly anything. People will be wiping thier ass with $20 bills because they won't be worth a damn. After all, it is JUST paper money... backed by absolutely nothing.

My best advice is to buy buy buy. Buy tools, equipment, and gold as well as hygeine and food products because STUFF will be worth a lot more than useless greenback paper. Its useless to save money in this situation. By saving it, you are just losing your buying power with every passing day.

etwman
05-14-2009, 10:44 PM
I would agree with this to some extent. I don't want this to all turn into a political "what's right, what's wrong" thread but I do believe the government should stay out of it. It will correct itself in time, it has for the past who knows how many recessions. Bailing people out won't teach them anything, other than to become reliable on a government next time around. People who got greedy need to learn some tough lessons.

A-Land
05-14-2009, 10:56 PM
It is brown mulch, I know it looks like black, but trust me its brown.

Travertine is a natural product. Most natural products hold up to the test of time since they've been around forever. I'd google travertine dealers, its all over the place.

Quote of the week: "When the economical tide goes out you discover real quick who was skinny dipping and who wasn't"

Nice take on a good line from Warren Buffet. "You never know who's swimming naked 'til the tide goes out."

riverwalklandscaping
05-14-2009, 11:43 PM
I do believe the government should stay out of it.

- Exactly

Not necessarily. When the government prints money out of thin air (like they are...

-I'm a finance & economics major from college... I know what inflation is.. I was just refering to the fact that bad economies = people out of work = more people looking for side work = more low estimates and so on... None of my suppliers have raised prices, and niether have I. Also we have not been experiencing inflation recently.. do to the jobless levels.. inflation has dropped to near zero last time I looked, and there is no evidence of stagflation yet. Other than that I will keep my mouth shut as ETW said its not a political thread

riverwalklandscaping
05-15-2009, 12:04 AM
ETW,

I was wondering if you could point out a good way to deal with cutting a fairly sharp curve on bluestone (patio bluestone). I havn't had to cut any curves too aweful sharp in the past, but an upcoming job has a fairly sharp curve in one area. I have a husky/partner 12/14 inch cutoff saw, and a 7 1/4 diamond saw. When doing a sharp curve do you make several cuts or how exactly do you go about it? Thanks for the help.. pic below from google search of a bluestone curve like what I have to deal with. - Schuyler

http://www.gvlinc.com/ThermalBluestonePatioSteps-1.jpg

etwman
05-15-2009, 07:52 AM
My guess is that bluestone was precut from a manufacturer off of a template, then flamed. I've seen very similar things done out of travertine. You give them radius measurements of what you need and they'll custom cut it and flame the outside edges. Ask them, I'm sure if they are a big enough bluestone dealer they'll have a connection.

mrusk
05-15-2009, 09:00 PM
My guess is that bluestone was precut from a manufacturer off of a template, then flamed. I've seen very similar things done out of travertine. You give them radius measurements of what you need and they'll custom cut it and flame the outside edges. Ask them, I'm sure if they are a big enough bluestone dealer they'll have a connection.

Or you could just do all that yourself. If you don't have a torch you can do a rock faced edge with a chisel. Next time I need to template something i'll do a rusktorial.

riverwalklandscaping
05-16-2009, 05:31 PM
I understand the how to naturalize the edge of the stone, I guess what I meant was how do you go about cutting such a sharp curve, but I guess you said it was probably cut by a dealer.. I will ask mine. Thanks - Schuyler

tthomass
05-17-2009, 04:21 PM
Outside curves are easy. The inside curves are more difficult. Cut perpendicular to the curve so that pieces fall off as you cut the curve. You may then need to go back and "shave" or smooth the cut with the saw. Most important is being steady and good with a saw.

Smaller blades = easier to cut radius. If really sharp, go with an electric hand held unit which is only around a 7" blade vs the 14" I use on my gas saw.

Also, on the inside cuts, cut inside your score line about a 1/4" and it will allow a little breathing room for "oops". Tilting the saw as you cut will also help.

Flame the edges afterwards and you're done. Just have patience and be smooth.

tthomass
05-17-2009, 04:21 PM
Jarod, going stainless?

etwman
05-17-2009, 10:47 PM
I pondered the thought, but the box is already on the truck, we're moving quick. It's already lettered and off to the fabricator tomorrow. SNG system to arrive by Tuesday, truck should be on the road within 10 days.

The only thing I'm scratching my head with this truck is whether or not to put a dump valve on the air bags for the back when picking up a body. Some say I should, others say I'll be alright without it. The air ride is a dream and the 9 speed will be a great asset.

M RASCOE&SONS
05-17-2009, 11:00 PM
I pondered the thought, but the box is already on the truck, we're moving quick. It's already lettered and off to the fabricator tomorrow. SNG system to arrive by Tuesday, truck should be on the road within 10 days.

The only thing I'm scratching my head with this truck is whether or not to put a dump valve on the air bags for the back when picking up a body. Some say I should, others say I'll be alright without it. The air ride is a dream and the 9 speed will be a great asset.
being able to dump the bags when your dumping or picking up a heavy load is just another safety measure that would save the truck from possible flipping over if a bag were to fail in the middle of a pick or dump.:drinkup:

etwman
05-19-2009, 08:12 PM
A couple more shots of Project A. These were taken a few days ago, so progress has been made since then. The accent stripes are cut in and I'll post those later.

I picked up the first set of gates today from the powder coater. We ended up with a metallic bronze, really sharp. All the drain grates, fencing, gates, and planter hooks will all match. In the back ground you can see the new truck going together.

I opted to put a dump valve on the truck for the air bags. Easier to do it now than later.

A-Land
05-19-2009, 08:41 PM
Wow Jarod.... That place is going to be incredible when you're done

JRSlawn
05-19-2009, 11:11 PM
Jared looks great as always! Do you find yourself doing anything small anymore like $10-15k or are you sticking to those large projects? With these large projects and the portfolio you have I am sure there are people with smaller projects that want to be added to your schedule? Are you cutting grass anymore or sticking to installations?

P.S is that a edco table saw? I thought you were stick to your stihl cutoffs lol

etwman
05-19-2009, 11:20 PM
We are pretty much sticking with our niche of higher end design/build. We'll evaluate each lead that comes in and prequalify them. That first 10-15 minutes on the phone will answer alot of questions from both ends. From there we'll make some decisions if it makes sense to move forward with the design process.

That saw was the first table saw we've rented in 3+ years. The only reason we got it for the day was to cut the 6x6 pavers in half so they would be the same thickness as the travertine for accenting. The thickness was pretty much dead on.

etwman
05-20-2009, 04:13 PM
Accent striping in on the sundeck........this will match the brown on a diagonal and the accents under the pergola.

jg244888
05-20-2009, 04:19 PM
Great job!!! How many s2 ft of travertine is that job?

etwman
05-20-2009, 04:22 PM
I think its around 6,000 +/-. Full credit to my guys in the field with the CHOP SAWS!

EagleLandscape
05-20-2009, 04:28 PM
Gorgeous work.

etwman
05-20-2009, 05:38 PM
I did the stripes in honor of all the mowing guys. We decided to "stripe" our patios on a 45 .....double cut.

EagleLandscape
05-20-2009, 11:46 PM
shoulda bagged instead of mulched... TISK TISK

cleancutccl
05-21-2009, 02:29 AM
did you cut everything in place or have a template before placing it out? Looks nice and straight, kudos to your guys for the attention to detail.

etwman
05-21-2009, 07:58 AM
To my knowledge everything was cut in place, using some stringlines, then marking the grid.

etwman
05-21-2009, 11:36 AM
Couple more of Project B......and I'd say we're just getting into the cool stuff around the back side of the house.

EagleLandscape
05-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Do you know what the cost per sq ft of Project B's home is? 200-300 a sq ft?

etwman
05-21-2009, 05:03 PM
I don't even want to guess. The originality of the inside is incredible. I'll guarantee you there's no other house like it.

ancjr
05-21-2009, 05:34 PM
cleaning up/maintaining 12 acres :)

John Deere G110, Stihl KM90, Stihl MS180

Not shown in picture:
Agri-Fab 48" pull behind
Murray, Craftsman 21" push mowers
John Deere straight shaft Quick-Tach line trimmer
F150 4x4

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc310/ancjr/100_0195.jpg

mrusk
05-21-2009, 11:18 PM
Jared- Whats up in the 2nd to last pic? Someone hit the wall with the machine?

TXNSLighting
05-21-2009, 11:25 PM

Not shown in picture:
Agri-Fab 48" pull behind
F150 4x4

???????????????????????

P.Services
05-21-2009, 11:36 PM
not showing in picture,

crackpipe

riverwalklandscaping
05-21-2009, 11:42 PM
oh wow .. i feel that is a perfect post in terms of David and Goliath

ancjr
05-22-2009, 12:19 AM
I'm upgrading to ZTR soon :clapping:

old oak lawn
05-22-2009, 12:41 AM
I'm upgrading to ZTR soon :clapping:

Why post it in ETW's trend? I think this trend is best left for Mr. ETW to post his work in.

A-Land
05-22-2009, 01:19 AM
not showing in picture,

crackpipe

That's probably the worst thing I've heard all day. Come on you can't say that.

Okay that was funny :laugh::laugh::laugh:

A-Land
05-22-2009, 01:20 AM
I don't even want to guess. The originality of the inside is incredible. I'll guarantee you there's no other house like it.

When YOU say that..... :dizzy:

Jarod the people who are spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on jobs... what are they doing for work?? Working for AIG?? :laugh: :dizzy:

etwman
05-22-2009, 07:55 AM
Jared- Whats up in the 2nd to last pic? Someone hit the wall with the machine?

That's what the archt designed to mirror an old deteriorating wall which will blend into the fieldgrass when.it germinates. Everyone on site seems to like it and it will blend into the softscape when done.

nnj18
05-22-2009, 10:59 PM
That's what the archt designed to mirror an old deteriorating wall which will blend into the fieldgrass when.it germinates. Everyone on site seems to like it and it will blend into the softscape when done.

so you built a wall to resemble a failed wall and sold it to the customer? haha

A-Land
05-22-2009, 11:13 PM

It's called making it look established, like it's been there forever. Like building a house that's structurally sound, but looks like it's old...

That traditional feel is very popular, especially on that job where nothing screams "clean lines"

burnthecouch
05-23-2009, 08:53 AM

And you mow grass in New Jersey

There, both statements sound just as funny to me.

SNAPPER MAN
05-23-2009, 09:37 AM
The distressed look is quite popular. I know when it comes to painting alot of people like the distressed look for cabinets and door ways. I think that wall looks awesome like that. I love your work!!!

ox6603
05-23-2009, 01:30 PM

Not shown in picture:
Agri-Fab 48" pull
F150 4x4

I love how all through this thread people who apparently can't read post random pics of their equip.

Nice work as always etw

riverwalklandscaping
05-26-2009, 09:05 AM
I built deteriorating walls at my house also, they look great once they age

mag360
05-26-2009, 10:40 AM
I love how all through this thread people who apparently can't read post random pics of their equip.

Nice work as always etw

:laugh:
If you just read the title to the thread and maybe the first page it is an easy mistake to make---I get a kick out of it since it's been happening for several years straight now.

etwman
05-27-2009, 04:56 PM
I will assure you we are not immune to mechanical failures, as most companies aren't. This morning #3 decided to throw a temper tantrum as we had a crank bearing fail. Unfortunately by the time it was finished it took the whole engine along with it.

Good news: The SNG is electric, which means we were able to take the body off of it with a blown engine and put it on another truck. A standard dump with materials in it, would have been a mess right now.

Bad news: A new 3126 CAT engine is $17k. I managed to locate a good used one for $4500 down in Maryland and we should have it dropped in and back up and running by the end of Friday or Saturday. The new truck won't be on the road until Wednesday next week so it'll be a truck jockeying nightmare for the next 72 hours, but it is what it is.

When they go they go.....but life goes on.

Supper Grassy
05-27-2009, 07:37 PM
Projects are coming along nice

cleancutccl
05-27-2009, 08:05 PM
How many miles did you have on the truck? Was it the 26K or the 33K? I bet it sounded ear shattering when it was going out.

etwman
05-27-2009, 09:04 PM
It was the original freightliner. 26k gvw. Had around 185,000 on it. That's fairly low miles for these CAT's. It went down hill quick and made some good noise. I thought I could baby it and drive it to the CAT dealer 10 miles away but no such luck. Not sure why it went but it doesn't really matter now. The replacement engine has around 130k on it.

PlatinumLandCon
05-27-2009, 09:09 PM
Were you personally driving the truck at the time?

etwman
05-27-2009, 09:59 PM
I had the pleasure. We had an inkling this morning at the shop at 7 a.m. that this thing was detiorating so I let my guys take my pickup for the day and I had the pleasure of getting the "limp gazelle" to the mechanic. Unfortunately it only got me a mile until it gave up the ghost and we had it towed the rest of the way.

One thing I can't stand is down equipment. If something goes down I'll have it back up pretty quick. The CAT dealer said "ohhh we'll do some research and find you a used engine, we'll know something by the next day or so." By 1 p.m. my patience had run out and I found one by 3 p.m. Down equipment makes you no money.

cleancutccl
05-28-2009, 01:07 AM
Is this the first problem you've had with the cat engines? I'm looking into getting a 26k truck and looking at cat and dt466. Basically international and freightliner, i've heard good things about both. Do you have an in house mechanic to keep up on maintenance or is that done by dealers?

tthomass
05-29-2009, 08:28 AM
Is this the first problem you've had with the cat engines? I'm looking into getting a 26k truck and looking at cat and dt466. Basically international and freightliner, i've heard good things about both. Do you have an in house mechanic to keep up on maintenance or is that done by dealers?

If you go International hold out and find a higher horsepower. I've got a 215hp, there's a lot of 190's out there............and 215 isn't the limit.

etwman
05-29-2009, 06:37 PM
I would second Todd, if you can go higher than 210 go for it. Our new one is 250+. Huge difference.

Its our first major mechanical failure with a CAT. There's no perfect engine. If this were the 3rd or 4th dead cat I'd get pretty cautious.

Here's the shots from today. Cabinetry is all in and will be pointed next week. Custom cabinetry is the only way to go, forget that online junk. 48" Firemagic grill is in. Charcoal grill beside it, fridge, etc. All travertine is down and cut in but needs acid washed and sealed. Plantings and grading begin Monday. Putting green the following week. The pace will pick up now. Things are really coming together.

EagleLandscape
05-29-2009, 06:43 PM
awesome work jarod

oakhillslandscaping
05-29-2009, 08:24 PM
wow jarod your crew has really brought this from a mess to marvel nice job as always

nnj18
05-29-2009, 08:38 PM
hahaha I love the farm silos in the backround lol

riverwalklandscaping
05-29-2009, 11:29 PM
just curious but how close to what you guessed this job would take in terms of materials and time did you come.. off by 1% .. 10% .. 100% ?

etwman
05-30-2009, 08:41 AM
We're pretty close on this one. We figured Memorial Day Weekend would have been a push from the beginning so we anticipated around the 2nd week in June. Throw the curveball into that of 15 days of rain in May and we're probably right on schedule. We'll have it buttoned up by the last weekend in June. All plant material are already on site.

Our other project with the outdoor kitchen and pool picutred below will be on the front cover of a PA Magazine in July. These prelim pics were taken about two months ago when nothing had greened/leafed in. It will be professionally shot and staged here next week.

meets1
05-30-2009, 09:06 AM
etw: Great work as always!

etwman
05-30-2009, 06:02 PM
just curious but how close to what you guessed this job would take in terms of materials and time did you come.. off by 1% .. 10% .. 100% ?

Sorry I went back and reread this. I would say on the hardscape aspect we'll probably hit it within 5% on labor estimates and less than 2% on material estimates. I can live with that. I think this is what you were asking.

A-Land
05-30-2009, 07:08 PM
Sorry I went back and reread this. I would say on the hardscape aspect we'll probably hit it within 5% on labor estimates and less than 2% on material estimates. I can live with that. I think this is what you were asking.

Do you find it easier to estimate for these large jobs over smaller jobs?

How many jobs of this scale can your company finish in a year?

etwman
05-30-2009, 10:48 PM
Smaller jobs are always easier to estimate in my opinion. I had to quote a smaller one for us "2-3 week project" and I did it in about an hour. These bigger projects take a tremendous amount of homework, you have to know your vendors, equipment availability, and the talents of your guys. You have to know what the customer expects because you are going to have a relationship with them that will last a long time.

We'll do 4 large projects this year. With our added equipment and employees we could probably handle 6-7 large builds in a year without making substantial additions in house, or putting me in the nuthouse.

Drew Gemma
05-30-2009, 11:24 PM
Do you do the fence in house or do you have a sub for that work. If you do it in house any tips! Also what is the color of that tavertine. Thanks I just drool at these pics. you post.

etwman
05-30-2009, 11:28 PM
The fencing is usually taken care of by the pool company or we have a contact. We did do the large rod iron gates in project A and had them custom powder coated to match a variety of things on site like drain covers, fencing, etc.

The travertine has an orange/brown blend with some cream in it. Every travertine supplier calls it a different name but most have this blend. I know one supplier calls it an apricot yellow.

CrystalCreek
05-31-2009, 12:35 AM
I have a lot of friends that always say PA is one of the most beautiful places to live....and now I know why. With the quailty of work you are doing, I to would claim my state is the most beautiful. Great work. Do you do your own design work? I love the way that pool is shaping up. Enjoy the summer.

riverwalklandscaping
05-31-2009, 10:53 AM
That's amazing that you do the labor estimates so close. I am good with material estimates 5% give or take also, but I'm lousy at figuring out hours ... and my jobs are 10% the size of yours.. Getting better though

etwman
05-31-2009, 07:43 PM
I will assure you it wasn't always that way. Alot of it comes with experience, knowing your equipment and employees. In addition a good estimating program.

cleancutccl
06-02-2009, 12:44 AM
Are you using software you designed or someone else. I'm looking at the Vanderkooi software, we use the MORS system of recovery and the software is based off of that. I'm basically looking for software that I can plug in daily production reports so I have up to the minute production hours for certain types of work (pavers, mulch, base install, etc.) Then just plug in how many hours, tons, sq ft, etc and done. Right now it is all paper and takes forever.

etwman
06-06-2009, 02:26 PM
We're using a program I designed in house.

Here's #5. I have a few more things to be done to it and it should head out to a new job on Tuesday. The air ride is a dream. Rides almost as good as my GMC. The truck is almost identical to #4, only more HP, air ride, and 9 speed. Other than that the only way you can tell them apart from the outside is the visor on the new one is different.

All the trucks fit inside the building but it'll be cramped quarters until the new bay door goes in Tuesday.

NO MORE RAIN!!!!

JRSlawn
06-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Jared looks real nice I see you got the air hook ups for the trailer as well. How much do you have in this truck from start to finish?

A-Land
06-06-2009, 05:05 PM
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned... but I really like your sign out front. Many times the sign is an afterthought, but you guys clearly put some thought into that. Good luck with the new truck!

TomberLawn
06-06-2009, 05:24 PM
That is a good looking truck, just like all the other stuff in this thread. Do your other trucks have aluminum wheels or chrome simulators?

etwman
06-06-2009, 09:03 PM
If you have told me 9 months ago that I'd be putting another truck on the road this year, with what was predicted, I would have told you that you've bumped your head. Right now our work load justifies it so I pulled the trigger.

I don't have all the numbers in yet on this truck but I'd say we'll have less than $35k in this one. Keep in mind we already had that body that's on it, which was made earlier this year.

The other trucks have chrome wheel inserts, which are decent without the costs associated with going aluminum. This one came with Alcoa's so it was a bonus. Add to that it was black, had a visor, and a few other things. Those items add up in costs to put a truck together. The more of those "already there items" cuts the cost way down on building a truck.

That sign out front wasn't cheap, but sand blasted wood really pops.

lukemelo216
06-06-2009, 09:41 PM
Do you have any recent pictures of your shop? Also are you running the 550 still? or just the bigger trucks now.

Finally, when you go about seeking workers, what is generally your requirements for them in order to even be considered. I mean I see you guys running some big machinery a lot and of course your trucks so Heavy Machinery op? CDL A?B? experience?

cleancutccl
06-09-2009, 12:54 AM
Can you give out a number for your box builder? Does he build the under body boxes as well or just the behind the cab? Is it one compartment across, or does it have a seperate compartment on the driver's side?

etwman
06-11-2009, 06:59 PM
No recent pics of the shop, but its full with all the trucks. Yes we are still running the 550.

Most of the guys we hire either have heavy equipment experience, have their CDL, or have the common sense to gain what is required to grow with us quickly.

Our box builder is a local guy who build the under body boxes and the large tool boxes.

Attached is a shot of one of our projects from earlier this year which will be on a PA Magazine cover next month. There's about 30 great shots of this project which I'll post a few at a later time.

deere615
06-11-2009, 10:30 PM
That is beautiful, I would love that back yard

etwman
06-12-2009, 07:58 PM
Project A update: Travertine is all down and sealed, kitchen is pretty much done, we installed the putting green this week (its the real deal, sand filled and all...you can chip on onto it from 30 yards out), 95% of the plant material is in, irrigation being trenched. Next few weeks.... landscape lighting, flagstone walkway, aluminum bed edging, mulch, sod, etc.

etwman
06-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Couple quick pics of shop. We're running out of space as you can see. The Ford fits in the other side.

A CAT appeared last week. CAT's getting pretty vicious with wanting us to try their equipment so we struck a deal on this one for four weeks. We shall see.......

wayside
06-12-2009, 09:31 PM
All the work look's sharp , & the trucks are looking nice all together. any photos of the ford? and where do you keep your lawn care stuff?

jg244888
06-12-2009, 09:42 PM
ooops!!!!!

jg244888
06-12-2009, 09:45 PM
looks great those trucks are soo nice!!!! what kind of putting green is that? how you like the cat so far?

PlatinumLandCon
06-17-2009, 11:09 AM
One question, any reason for these big joints? It looks good, thats just something that stood out to me.

etwman
06-17-2009, 11:15 AM
Real Stone, that's the way it goes up. The stuff is 4" deep and needs shims. It matches the house.

olaf valle
06-19-2009, 05:27 PM
all your work looks perfect i hope i have a business like yours one day, thanks for taking the time to post pics

A-Land
06-19-2009, 09:09 PM
What happens next with the shop?

I remember a while back you talked about growing too quickly, or growing too much, which is interesting because most people would think the more trucks you have, the better you're doing - when it can lead to inefficiencies, etc.

In other words do you consider planning on adding #6,7,8 soon? Or have you reached a bit of a "peak" in operations with what you have now?

etwman
06-20-2009, 08:31 AM
I’m not going to deny the fact that we have seen unpredictable growth this year. Our 15th employee starts Monday. Our building is full and the business has required a lot more of my time to maintain operations, sales, and efficiencies. The next move(s) by the end of the year will have to be the addition of key office personnel. I will not continue at this pace without those implementations.

Will there be a #6, #7 or # 8? Four years ago I wouldn’t have said there would be a #5 so it’s difficult to predict. A building addition will have to take place before much more can be added, which I’ve been advised is easily doable. For now we’ll take this business where our clients want to take us, but maintain control over the company. Remember what I said, more equipment isn't often the best idea. Equipment isn't an investment unless it can be used to make money. Financing new equipment in a wild time right now about makes me throw up, but that's just me. Are we immune to the economic volatility? No, but we are making key marketing moves to buck the trend and are changing the game as many are playing it.

A-Land
06-20-2009, 10:20 AM
I think it's been asked before, so if you've given the specifics before, my apologies, I just don't know on which of the hundreds of pages here the answer will be on.

I know you're very anti-financing, especially right now. But, when you started.. Did you guys have some sort of start-up loan? What was the strategy behind it and did you pay it off asap or wait until it ran out?

I love going back and reading how you hope to add mowing accounts, etc, and now the company is something completely different. A lot of people probably wouldn't have seen the oportunity... But it stands to show why you let your customers control where your company goes, not vica versa.

Great work... Hopefully you get the chance every now and then to admire what you've put together... You really have something great with the company. (Although I'd still like to see you run AIG... Probably turn that company into something nice! )
Posted via Mobile Device

etwman
06-20-2009, 12:38 PM
Yes we had several start up loans with the onset of the company 10 years ago but eventually got on a track where we wouldn't buy additional equipment unless we could write a check. I believe those loans ran their 3-4 year terms so we could take the extra capitol and buy necessary equipment. Currently equipment isn't worth ten cents. However, I'd sooner park my equipment, take it off the road and if need be sell it for a small percentage of what its worth if I had to gain capitol. Those who are upside down on equipment, and run out of work, will sink fast.

I'm not opposed to buying a piece of equipment on a LOC if you have too, of course banks would cringe at this. Here's my theory on that. If you have the work lined up, and can pay it off in 3 months or so, than I think that is fine.

With the dismissal of mowing, and I think I talked about this on another page in detail (which caused a little turmoil) you have to go in a direction where your passion is, and high end design/build is where we wanted to go. Its difficult to be a jack of all trades, offer 100 different services, and do them all correctly with a handful of employees.

You can have AIG, greed is what spanked the banks in my opinion.

PSUTURFGEEK
06-20-2009, 10:12 PM
I could not agree more Jarod.

Real Green
06-24-2009, 05:50 PM
I had the pleasure of meeting up with Jarod today at his facility while I was in PA for some demos. Aside from the Earth, Turf and Wood facility being impressive, Jarodís vision and drive for his business and the green industry is unparalleled. I admire everything he has done and will do in the future. As an influential leader, Jarod will continue to move beyond what many in the industry can't comprehend. Thank you for your time Jarod and I look forward to seeing you again soon.

1993lx172
06-24-2009, 06:27 PM
Can you tell us more about that putting green? I have a client who wants to put one in and I have no idea about them and I want to know what all is involved in installing one and can it be done by one person with just the instructions that they include in the package. Thanks in advance.

etwman
06-24-2009, 08:29 PM
There are dozen of different putting green manufacturers out there. Installation time depends on different factors like just turf grass, sand filled, etc. Different manufacturers have different guidelines for installation. Pick a manufacturer, get aquainted with their product, and they'll help you on installation. To answer a question briefly, yes installation should take a day or two.

Matt great to see you again as always.

Project A is nearing completion. About another week or two of odds and ends things. All the plantings are in, mulched, sodded, irrigation and lighting are all in. We have a flagstone walkway to put in on the back side of the house, gates hung, and a list of misc. items. We hope to have it professionally shot in the next month.

etwman
06-24-2009, 08:34 PM
Project B is coming along. We installed the irrigation last week in the front, lighting is in, and we are working our way around the back. Flagstone patios are in. Now we are focusing on the plantings, irrigation and lighting in the back yard. We have a July 18th deadline here for phase I which we should make.

Project D is going on up near Hershey but I don't have any pics. Project A crew will go to Project C here shortly and begin that. That'll be 13 tractor trailer loads of block and pavers. We'll be on that one until the end of the year.

scagmower
06-24-2009, 08:45 PM
very very impressive work and operation!!!! Just a few questions if you dont mind me asking.
1.) did you train your employees or did they have previous knowledge on hardscaping? Because you really got an A+++ operation going.

2. Also how many years have you been in Business?

Thanks I look forward to seeing more picts of your work!!!

wurkn with amish
06-24-2009, 08:46 PM
hope the gnarley posts aren't gonna hold that beam up! Project A looks great. What kind of countertop is that ? Concrete? or Granite? Also the cornfields remind me of home.....

etwman
06-24-2009, 08:50 PM
Most come to us with experience. Foreman min 7 years in the field experience with quite a bit of technical experience required.

This fall marks 10 years for us.

Those beams on the front porch will be debarked. They are only there for asthetics. That beam runs through the house and is supported inside.

1993lx172
06-24-2009, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the info, I have to talk to her about it. She wants to take an old garden (12X18) and turn it into a chipping green/ putting green for the grand kids. Would laying a layer of sand to level the surface and then putting the turf over that suffice or do we have to go the whole nine yards. She's an old family friend whose husband died last year and money is tight for her.

lifetree
06-24-2009, 10:20 PM
Man, you need to start a new thread ... this one is too damn long !!

Drew Gemma
06-24-2009, 11:12 PM
Only if I could borrow your brain for one day, I promise I 'll give it back!

NNJLandman
06-25-2009, 12:40 AM
First off, your work is very amazing, its top notch as anyone can see.

Just curious, I'm sure since this landscapes are high end, these people/properties/landscapes require maintenance. Just curious since you do seem to travel a bit for work do you do the maintenance for these properties, do you recommend people. How does that work. I'm sure whoever does maintain these properties should be knowledgable in higher end landscape maintenance.

Also with that said, if you don't maintain the landscapes you build, are you ever concerned about loosing future work to a company that does do the maintenance?

wurkn with amish
06-25-2009, 05:27 PM
I know the posts are for aesthetics but could you have gotten some nicer ones? Those look like locust posts: ). Any pics of that big hillside, where everthing wasn't leafed out yet?

walls
07-02-2009, 10:15 PM
Hello very inspired buy your business and equip. Have been wanting to build a truck like one of yours. I have just come across a 1995 freightliner fl70 hooklift truck. It has a six speed man trans, has a new motor with around 20k miles on it. the hooklift is 1 year old . havent seen the truck in person and that is all the info i have on it. so i really need to find out alot more abot the truck but what do you think this truck should be going for
thanks

jg244888
07-10-2009, 10:54 PM
Any. Updates?
Posted via Mobile Device

A-Land
07-16-2009, 08:57 PM
Jarod - On your website, under "Hiring a Landscape / Hardscape Company," the space for a picture at the top is blank white. Just FYI.

Great website, I know you put a lot of thought into it.

etwman
07-16-2009, 09:12 PM
It seems to load fine from my computer. The site is undergoing a significant overhaul and the new one should go live within the next six weeks. It will make this one seem quite antiquated. Our vision and target market, caliper/size of projects, and line of services has changed quite a bit in the last two years.

Project A is down to a "punch list" of minor things. We'll be wrapping that up in the next week.

Project B is pretty incredible. Pics don't do it justice. I don't know how many thousands of pieces of plant material ended up on site. There is a huge push this week there to finish the house so the new owner can move in next week. He's generously holding a catered contractor party this weekend for everyone who was involved in construction. We all plan on attending, quite possibly still with our shovels in hand.

Project C is well underway as we are laying footers for wall block. The first of 10 tractor trailer loads of material arrived on site today.

I'll see if I can post some pics later of B.

A-Land
07-16-2009, 09:14 PM
It seems to load fine from my computer. The site is undergoing a significant overhaul and the new one should go live within the next six weeks. It will make this one seem quite antiquated. Our vision and target market, caliper/size of projects, and line of services has changed quite a bit in the last two years.

Project A is down to a "punch list" of minor things. We'll be wrapping that up in the next week.

Project B is pretty incredible. Pics don't do it justice. I don't know how many thousands of pieces of plant material ended up on site. There is a huge push this week there to finish the house so the new owner can move in next week. He's generously holding a catered contractor party this weekend for everyone who was involved in construction. We all plan on attending.

Project C is well underway as we are laying footers for wall block. The first of 10 tractor trailer loads of material arrived on site today.

I'll see if I can post some pics later of B.

I've looked at your website many times before and it always loaded.... not today though. So much for a NEW computer.

Can't wait for some views of these. Looks great.

etwman
07-16-2009, 10:03 PM
Here are some pics from B. Like I said pics don't do it justice.

tthomass
07-17-2009, 12:01 AM
-Hey Jarod

Does this home happen to be a "LEED" or environmentally friendly certified home?

*And what is that walk behind unit beside the truck?

etwman
07-17-2009, 08:02 AM
I'm not totally sure on the enviornmentally friendly home but it wouldn't surprise me because everything done make complete sense from a logistical standpoint.

That machine is a walk behind preseeder. Great for tight spaces Made by ATI. Its 36" wide and does the same thing as the larger 60 or 72" machines do. Perfect for swails, awesome for those stupid streches between sidewalks and curbs, and small backyards that you destroy with patios that you can't get a big preseeder in.

riverwalklandscaping
07-18-2009, 11:36 AM
is a preseeder different than a power/harley rake or is that what you mean. I've used the walk behind harley rakes and they are awesome but don't like roots and larger stones very much

countrychevy15
07-20-2009, 05:33 AM
etwman,

Just spent all day reading this thread from start to finish. Just started my own residential property maintence business. Grounds maintenance and snow plowing. One day down the road i want to get into landscaping such as walkways, decks, fences, that sort of stuff. Seeing your business grow has totally been an inspiration for me to keep a level head and think long term before buying anything. I have a notepad with about 3 or 4 pages of notes from the 163 pages of this thread. Your work is GREAT and i can only envy your level of sucess with all the nice equipment and great business planning. I would love to be able to pick your brain for a day. Thanks for all the information and tips along the way of growing your business. Keep up the good quality work. :)

A-Land
07-20-2009, 08:51 AM
The scale of that large walkway is perfect.

The maintenance guys are going to hate you though. Oh well

Humble Earth Mover
07-20-2009, 12:23 PM
Jarod,

Been a long time since I checked out your thread. You guys are really pushing the design envelope in this part of the country.....work looks solid. I have a question for you on project "B". I designed a curved beam pergola very similar to the one in your project. Did you guys fabricate the curved beam yourself, or is that a prefabbed piece? Can you recommend someone to call for pricing or what it would entail to fabricate one ourselves?

Thanks,

Adam

2brothersyardcare
07-20-2009, 01:20 PM
once again beautiful work man. i got a question like every one else i want 2 lay a patio for my mums i no how to do it. but i want to put it on a slab its already in my backyard is there anything i can lay on it that wouldn't crack in 2 years its a nice slab no cracks. wat can i use.

Real Green
07-20-2009, 09:28 PM
wat can i use.

I'd give spell check a try... :laugh:

deere615
07-20-2009, 10:32 PM
I'd give spell check a try... :laugh:

That was one of his easier posts to read

A-Land
07-20-2009, 11:39 PM

Thats hott

lol

Twitchy
07-21-2009, 12:28 PM
Looks great etwman, just two questions. Where's the color??? No perennials, it kinda looks like a commercial planting. How do you guys install that much mulch? And please don't say wheel barrels. Thanks

P.Services
07-21-2009, 07:36 PM
twitchy if you need a easy way to install alot of mulch FAST look at a zahn fast!!! i was putting down two loads a week (240yrds) for a month and a half strait. with out the zahn i could not have done it.

next i get my own live bottom trailer and single axle tractor to really rake in the $$. (thats next spring though)

etwman
07-21-2009, 08:39 PM
There were over 1000 perenials on that project, I will assure you there is color present. I believe there were over 2200 pieces of plant material.

It took 140 cy of mulch. It was done with skidloaders, wheelbarrows, and a high lift. It didn't take that long.

scagmower
07-21-2009, 11:27 PM
Work looks solid as usual. have you ever thought about stocking your own plants like a nursery or do you already do this? You are really a inspiration to my company and it gives me something to shoot for!! thanks for posting picts of your work:usflag:

GSTRING
07-23-2009, 12:13 AM
WOW! Just read the entire thread. Thanks for all the information. Also MR.etw thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge, and answering all these questions. All your work look beautiful and love your equipment and shop.
Keep up the good work and wishing you continued success. Please keep posting pictures and more info. Any books, articles you recommend about the industry or business in general-please list?
Again thank you for taking the time to help other.:canadaflag:

2brothersyardcare
07-23-2009, 09:03 AM
Thats hott

lol

****** dont take my line ill *** you

2brothersyardcare
07-23-2009, 09:06 AM

i typed real slow

GSTRING
07-23-2009, 03:14 PM
http://www.capbrick.com/performance_bedding.htm
It a material that claims you don't need gravel and limestone screening, and needs very little if any compaction. A lot of DIY are using it and only laying it 3 inch thick. It's available up here, but don't know about your area.
Any opinion on this material.
If your unable to get the link, google High performance bedding,

Below is what the company that manufactures it claims,

A stone product that is making waves in the landscape construction trade. High Performance Bedding(tm) is an angular, washed limestone material that is both free draining and deters soil migration.

As a drainage media, HPB exhibits the benefits of 3/4" clear gravel but is much easier to handle (similar to screenings or granular but without the dirt or small fines that hold water). When placed, it achieves 93 per cent standard Proctor density without the use of compaction equipment. This is of great benefit for under pavers and under and behind retaining walls. It is self compacting to the 93% range and reduces greatly the amount of settling associated with Granular A/B and sand screeding.

With a density of approximately 1.52 tonnes/cubic metre, it requires 30% less tonnage to fill a hole than Granular A/B. This is a significant cost saving by buying less of a higher value material that requires much less compaction saving time and effort.

Using HPB eliminates the cost associated with paying to haul two products to the jobsite.

It has been used recently for numerous large scale landscape jobs including the parking lot at the Oakville Ford of Canada Plant with tremendous results and benefits.

This same material can be used under and behind retaining walls where drainage is necessary and the need for proper compaction is a must. Having a product that achieves such high compaction rate on initial installation is a time saver and helps prevent ground settling such as around swimming pools and retaining walls.

1 cubic yard of High Performance Bedding material will cover 100 square feet at 3" thick.

For your next project consider the advantages of HPB versus Granular A or B and sand screeding. It will save you time, money and reduce greatly the settling associated with other granular base materials. Most heaving of unit pavers is a result of the base material holding water and freezing in the winter months.

- Excellent for use in Landscape design (walkways, gardens, soil stabilization, playgrounds, backfill for pool walls.

- Reduces native soil migration, easily flows into tight areas and corners. Ease of placement with a shovel or rake making it highly desirable to the installer.

We have installed thousands of jobs with HPB.

PSUTURFGEEK
07-23-2009, 09:24 PM
Smells like free advertising.

PlatinumLandCon
07-23-2009, 09:44 PM

If thats what he's trying I'll let you all know its brutal. I've seen first hand that 1 winter will destroy an HPB installed walkway/patio.

Supper Grassy
07-23-2009, 11:22 PM
project B looks great!

GSTRING
07-24-2009, 12:44 AM

No sorry, no free advertising. Tried to attach the link, but was unable to so just cut and pasted what was on there site. Tried to google more info on the product but couldn't find any-good or bad. Was just curious about the product.
Was hoping if anybody had used this product, or what your input was on this product?
Was wondering if it would work? Would you try it without a gravel base?
I personally am skeptic and would not use it, especially without a gravel base.
I own a small property maintenance company in Toronto, doing sodding, flower bed installs, window and evestrough cleaning, spring and fall clean-ups. Been doing it part-time since 2003 and am going into it full-time.

GSTRING
07-24-2009, 12:57 AM
If thats what he's trying I'll let you all know its brutal. I've seen first hand that 1 winter will destroy an HPB installed walkway/patio.

Hey, I was on another forum (red flag deals) and alot of homeowners talking about how great this product was.
Thanks for your reply, I didn't thing it would last up here especially with the freezing and thawing.
Just curious when you did use it, did you use it solely or with gravel? I guess you will never use it again?:canadaflag:

etwman
07-24-2009, 04:07 PM
Here's some of project D evolving. The wall will continue on the other side of the house. Tractor trailer loads of block/pavers are coming in each day.

We'll have a pool, pool house, patio, stairwells, natural stone steppers, large patio, and a few other things on this when its done. Paver work is around 7,000 sf. Right now walls are under construction.

Wall product is Versa Lok Mosaic.

etwman
07-24-2009, 05:03 PM
Here's a few of some past projects we reshot. Peace and tranquility.

oakhillslandscaping
07-24-2009, 06:01 PM
did you ever rent that cat CTL? if so what were your thoughts on how it ran ?

2brothersyardcare
07-24-2009, 07:13 PM
do you work in the field or in the office?

Junior M
07-24-2009, 07:20 PM
Any updates with what you decided to do about equipment?

mrusk
07-24-2009, 08:52 PM
The mosiac wall would look better imo if it was a radom patter and did not have a seam going down the length of the wall every foot.

etwman
07-24-2009, 09:11 PM
Its been four years since I've been in the field. I miss it, but the legwork behind scenes keeps me in the office, especially this year. I do miss the field work at times and creating the once in a lifetime experiences in back yards.

CAT came back to me with numbers but I sent them back to the drawing board to get me better ones. Right now they can't compete with Deere. We'll see what round two brings.

Mosaic and Cov. Plus are the only 10" deep block combination walls on the market to my knowledge. Unfortunatley if you want to go combination, retaining a decent surcharge you need grid. With grid placement you need seams to do it right. I would agree, but its either a 10" panel with Mosaic, or a 21" panel with Cov Plus, pick your poison.

mrusk
07-24-2009, 09:29 PM
Its been four years since I've been in the field. I miss it, but the legwork behind scenes keeps me in the office, especially this year. I do miss the field work at times and creating the once in a lifetime experiences in back yards.

CAT came back to me with numbers but I sent them back to the drawing board to get me better ones. Right now they can't compete with Deere. We'll see what round two brings.

Mosaic and Cov. Plus are the only 10" deep block combination walls on the market to my knowledge. Unfortunatley if you want to go combination, retaining a decent surcharge you need grid. With grid placement you need seams to do it right. I would agree, but its either a 10" panel with Mosaic, or a 21" panel with Cov Plus, pick your poison.

I never installed a wall with "pannels'. Every multi size wall I ever built was a random pattern. We would stagger the grid. For example: We would run 12' for grid after course 3. Then run 6' after course 4 then run 18' after course 3 and so on.

Or every 6-8 feet we would install a block to break the seam and cut the grid around it. This is seen in one of the pics. I am not picking on you are trying to stir trouble. I am just trying to give to advice and maybe give you an idea that you have not thought off.

Engineers have no trouble with these methods.

Drew Gemma
07-24-2009, 11:19 PM
picture 2 of the reshoots what material are those tiles and are they sealed
Thanks

LBFmd
07-24-2009, 11:36 PM
I never installed a wall with "pannels'. Every multi size wall I ever built was a random pattern. We would stagger the grid. For example: We would run 12' for grid after course 3. Then run 6' after course 4 then run 18' after course 3 and so on.

Or every 6-8 feet we would install a block to break the seam and cut the grid around it. This is seen in one of the pics. I am not picking on you are trying to stir trouble. I am just trying to give to advice and maybe give you an idea that you have not thought off.

Engineers have no trouble with these methods.

Shouldn't a wall that comes to a corner like that be tied together especially if there is a surcharge on the wall.

Jarod, jobs look great.

etwman
07-25-2009, 08:00 AM
picture 2 of the reshoots what material are those tiles and are they sealed
Thanks

Travertine.

The architect speced a 10" deep block on this last project so that grid would go in easier. We could have brought up the possibility of a different product without seams for grid, but sometimes not complicating things is the better option. I do agree that I'm not a huge fan of seams, but if you don't look for them from a distance you don't see them.

mrusk
07-25-2009, 10:23 AM
Lbf what are you taklking about? You can clearly see in my picture that the corner is weaved together. Furthur more we glue the corner and we even drill a hole and throw a versa lok pin in since the techo clip won't work in the corner.
Posted via Mobile Device

Twitchy
07-25-2009, 07:00 PM
etwman is that a mortar joint between the bullnose coping and 6x6 border in the 1st pic? If so, why??? Never seen that before. The travertine patio looks awesome ,not really big around here yet...

etwman
07-26-2009, 12:21 PM
etwman is that a mortar joint between the bullnose coping and 6x6 border in the 1st pic? If so, why??? Never seen that before. The travertine patio looks awesome ,not really big around here yet...

It is a caulked foam expansion joint. If you don't put it in the freeze/thaw cycle will pop the coping when the pavers move in the winter. Keep in mind the coping is stationary. Fail to do it and you'll have a costly fix.
Posted via Mobile Device

Twitchy
07-26-2009, 10:15 PM
It is a caulked foam expansion joint. If you don't put it in the freeze/thaw cycle will pop the coping when the pavers move in the winter. Keep in mind the coping is stationary. Fail to do it and you'll have a costly fix.
Posted via Mobile Device
Never had a problem before, but my next pool job I'm gonna take a look into that . Thanks etwman.

etwman
07-29-2009, 09:14 PM
We just ordered another job box, thus I am in search mode for equipment to stock it.

If anyone knows the where abouts of a good used Wacker 3050 Reversible Plate Compactor send me an PM.

JDavisLandscapes
07-29-2009, 09:33 PM
We just ordered another job box, thus I am in search mode for equipment to stock it.

If anyone knows the where abouts of a good used Wacker 3050 Reversible Plate Compactor send me an PM.

Hey etwman, I just bought a new reversable plate compactor. Its not a top of the line brand name, but so far it has been great. I got it for $1,500 with free shipping. The place I got it from was in PA. The brand name was Powerland. I have some pics of it in my picture thread if you want to look at it.

If you don't have your heart set on the wacker, I would recommend taking a look at this one. It will most likely be less expensive than a used wacker and it will be brand new. It compacts with 7000 lbs of force and weighs 370 lbs.

PM me if you wants some more info.

CertPro
07-30-2009, 08:49 AM
Mrusk - The problem with VL Mosaic is that, although it is a combo wall, 2 of the accents do not equal the height of a stretcher or cobble. Thus, you can't really run it in a random type scenario. You have to install in panels. What we have done in the past is alternate the placement of the pieces to give the more random look, but you will still have a horizontal seam.

etwman
08-12-2009, 03:42 PM
Couple completed shots of A at night. Pretty neat.

I'll post some updated pics of our current projects next week.

JDavisLandscapes
08-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Wow. Great work. That came out awsome.

Are those crapemyrtles on the opposite end of the pool in front of the brick wall?

etwman
08-12-2009, 04:17 PM
Yes they are Crepe Myrtles.

eatonpcat
08-12-2009, 04:19 PM
That looks awesome... Did you use some kind of an effect on your camera, The pictures almost look more like renderings than actual photos?? That sure would look good in my backyard, maybe you could give me the fellow lawnsite discount price??:rolleyes::rolleyes:

wurkn with amish
08-12-2009, 05:41 PM
simply beautiful

Twitchy
08-12-2009, 05:55 PM
The fire bowls w/ the sheer descent waterfalls look awesome. Did you guys put that together or is that a kit?

gomowdig
08-12-2009, 06:22 PM
Absolutely beautiful! The crepe myrtles really catch the eye; did not realize they grew so far north but must get some protection here. Are they Pecos variety? I worry about your customers, Etwman, come the revolution, they are in big trouble; to much $$. A lot of look at me, look at me here. But everything is first tier and shows great design and knowledgeable, experienced workmanship.

oakhillslandscaping
08-12-2009, 06:47 PM
wow that landscape was made for night time great job etwman as always

davis45
08-12-2009, 08:59 PM
amazing...!

nnj18
08-12-2009, 09:11 PM
that looks awesome!! how much of that work is yours?? like obviously, the patio but what else did you do here?

again looks GREAT!!!!

rusty_keg_3
08-12-2009, 10:21 PM
The last pic looks like a painting! Man, thats so SWEET!

P.Services
08-12-2009, 10:58 PM
can you get some close ups of the wall in back? im drawing something similar to that out right now and would like to see how you did the brick cap.

looks good though.

Lawn_Boy
08-12-2009, 11:51 PM
Incredible.

In your opinion, where would a completed project like this rank upon your companies top work?

etwman
08-13-2009, 01:35 PM
We've have two other projects this year of equal size. This project was probably in our top 10. This is the direction we are headed as several others have entered into the drawing stages.

The list was long on the items we did on this project. I'll compile a list a post it later.

On another note, due to the direction we are going with the company my time on this site will become less and less. I will try and post when I can. The business requires more and more of my time as we are strategizing for the next few years. What is on the horizon is exciting but will require quite a bit of planning. To those that have sent me emails and PM's I apologize in not being able to respond to them promptly. Good luck everyone with your year.

Supper Grassy
08-13-2009, 06:05 PM
Jarod,
the pics of project A look like GREAT!!!!

etwman
08-16-2009, 01:28 PM
A few others including the kitchen we constructed and the rod iron gates we had custom made. There were another set of gates and a bunch of custom railing we did as well back behind the kitchen. Every detail down to the grates in the patio, gates, railings, fence, and planter hangers were all custom powder coated to match. The powder was a special bronze metallic which really "popped" Defiinitely a cool color.

The custom kitchen cabinets weren't just stainless doors, they included 3 pull out trash recepticles, shelving for dinnerware and pool towels.

rusty_keg_3
08-16-2009, 01:35 PM
Wow, thats Awesome!

wurkn with amish
08-16-2009, 06:55 PM
Etw
couldn't the fabricator make some drain grates out of the same stuff to match?
that plastic is tacky. Only problem I have, and its not a big deal.

etwman
08-16-2009, 07:14 PM
I will assure you its not plastic. Those drain grates and channel drains are all a custom cast iron from the west coast and they were not cheap. They came in raw metal form and we had them all custom powder coated. They are the real deal. www.ironagegrates.com

whitebp1
08-16-2009, 10:16 PM
nice pics... are you still offering maintenance svc or have you gotten out of them all together?

wurkn with amish
08-17-2009, 06:55 PM
your fabricator is awesome. How many hours does he have in the gate?

etwman
08-21-2009, 07:25 PM
He had a decent amount of hours in everything since it was all custom work.

Below are some more pics of Project D that is well under construction. We've used a new slab paver, which when clean is really neat. Masonry walls are going up in the back, pool is done, and we'll put down about 7000 sf of pavers in the next few weeks.

etwman
08-21-2009, 07:27 PM
We also did another photo shoot this afternoon for our new marketing material. I'll post a few of the very many that were taken, some for SNG. Another job box arrived this morning and ended up in the photo, it will be lettered in the next few weeks.

We're going to need a bigger parking lot if we plan on doing this again in the future.

rusty_keg_3
08-21-2009, 08:05 PM
Wow, thats sweet... So you have 3 hooklift trucks? All of the big ones right...

meets1
08-21-2009, 10:57 PM
Looken good! Keep it up. Project is coming along nicely!

Junior M
08-22-2009, 01:33 AM
Wow, you still got that JCB thing, I figured you woulda sold that thing off by now.. :laugh:

etwman
08-22-2009, 08:37 AM
It is still here, it is primarily a glorified shop machine and may get into the field 10% of the time. I've considered parting with it and getting a good used skid loader but we all know where the used equipment market is right now. Buying is good, selling - not the case. Its paid for, so it just sits. It is a great little machine for planting because you have the hoe, but we end up climbing over it in the shop more than anything. If I could get $10k for it I'd let it go.

tthomass
08-24-2009, 10:41 PM
That flatbed looks to be getting rusty..... ;)

RedMax Man
08-24-2009, 10:58 PM
Very impressive and that work is breath taking.

Those job boxes are great for keeping everything secure and out of the elements. how are they setup inside? are there shelves and racks for tools? does it all settle or slide when being lifted onto the truck or do you load it up once its on the truck or just transport the job boxes empty?

etwman
08-25-2009, 08:19 AM
You're a piece of work Todd, you really want that flatbed don't you.

Everything is secured with cabinets, tie downs, etc in the job boxes and it lifts up on the trucks fine without anything shifting. They are quite full of equipment for everything you need for hardscape installation.

CertPro
08-25-2009, 08:37 AM
Where will you be getting the sod for that job???

RedMax Man
08-27-2009, 09:40 PM
You're a piece of work Todd, you really want that flatbed don't you.

Everything is secured with cabinets, tie downs, etc in the job boxes and it lifts up on the trucks fine without anything shifting. They are quite full of equipment for everything you need for hardscape installation.

thats great! and its safer from theft then an enclosed trailer. mostly because it doesnt not have big wheels.

etwman
09-09-2009, 07:14 PM
Couple of Project B completed

etwman
09-09-2009, 07:17 PM
Couple more of B and the new job box that hit the road today.

We just had another one sign that will be equally as impressive as A & B, if not more. Construction begins on that one late October.

meets1
09-09-2009, 10:05 PM
HOLY SH*T! That project looks awesome! Truck box rocks!

honeydopm
09-10-2009, 12:25 AM
That house looks like it should be in a magazine. Your work sets precedents for the industry! Keep up the great work.

nnj18
09-10-2009, 12:40 PM
Jarrod, did you do the stone facing on the house? If so it looks great! What about the pool too???
Posted via Mobile Device

Lazer_Z
09-10-2009, 01:55 PM
Amazing as always, I also see a few shots that were posted here on your new box. Whoever takes those pictures does a fantastic job at capturing everything.

Supper Grassy
09-13-2009, 09:02 PM
Fleet looks great!!
the house looks SUPER!!! great job

etwman
09-29-2009, 05:19 PM
Here's a couple updated ones on the current project we are on. The wall work, flatwork, brickwork, steps, and fencing are all our responsibility. The paver product is neat and we are planning on using it on another upcoming project. It still needs cleaned and sanded but you can get the preliminary images of what it looks like. We'll be pulling out of there in the next two weeks onto the next one.

The pipeline looks very strong for the fall for us as we've signed a couple other neat projects.

The new website is getting its final tweaking and should be live in the next three weeks. It looks really cool and will put our current one to shame, though many seem to like that one.

Headed to another equipment auction tomorrow to see about more equipment. It'll be interesting to see what things bring. All indications are not much.

Junior M
09-29-2009, 05:24 PM
speaking of equipment, did you ever make a move on a machine? Or still long term renting the deere and komatsu?

tthomass
09-29-2009, 07:01 PM
-Hey Jarod

What are those steps made of? Almost looks like a composite material or is it concrete??

etwman
09-29-2009, 07:26 PM
The grey ones are real stone, flamed on two sides.

We still typically have 3-4 machines we rent. We will probably buy a wheeled shop machine that may go out in the field on occassion. Looking at a CAT 262B.

Why rent? The CT332 blew out a hydraulic wheel motor and send debris into the pumps. $11,500 to fix. We had a replacement machine the same day delivered. Not on my tab. Track machines are high maintenance and for what we rent them for it doesn't make sense to buy them.

mrusk
09-29-2009, 07:40 PM
What do you rent them for a month? It can't be that big of a secert.

Junior M
09-29-2009, 11:27 PM
The grey ones are real stone, flamed on two sides.

We still typically have 3-4 machines we rent. We will probably buy a wheeled shop machine that may go out in the field on occassion. Looking at a CAT 262B.

Why rent? The CT332 blew out a hydraulic wheel motor and send debris into the pumps. $11,500 to fix. We had a replacement machine the same day delivered. Not on my tab. Track machines are high maintenance and for what we rent them for it doesn't make sense to buy them.
For a large operation like yours that could drop off at the drop of a hat, I totally understand why you rent..

I was just asking because I am curious how you handle large purchases/decisions like that.. Plus, I like shiny new equipment.. :laugh:

(not saying your work will or is stopping, apparently you got it stacked up! but anything is possible)

P.Services
09-29-2009, 11:37 PM
For a large operation like yours that could drop off at the drop of a hat, I totally understand why you rent..

I was just asking because I am curious how you handle large purchases/decisions like that.. Plus, I like shiny new equipment.. :laugh:

(not saying your work will or is stopping, apparently you got it stacked up! but anything is possible)

oh boy are you going to get a lecture for that comment. dont upset the gods.

greatinmulchbeds
09-29-2009, 11:44 PM
hey Jarod, are you familiar with chestnut hill at all? hes out of PA...i just took the icpi cert and he was the instructor, he seems really educated and has a big operation by you.

Junior M
09-29-2009, 11:48 PM
oh boy are you going to get a lecture for that comment. dont upset the gods.
shut up.............. I really dont care what you say because most of what you say is pretty freaking useless..

I mean really, in the state this economy is in, would a sane person(not picasso) doing hardscaping jump all over buying 3 to 4 new machines when the calls could instantly stop tomorrow?

old oak lawn
09-30-2009, 12:20 AM
shut up.............. I really dont care what you say because most of what you say is pretty freaking useless..

I mean really, in the state this economy is in, would a sane person(not picasso) doing hardscaping jump all over buying 3 to 4 new machines when the calls could instantly stop tomorrow?
After flowing ETW;S posts for the last few years i think he will be in business after you are long gone.
Some people think they know everything, when they dont know ****. That would be you Junior, with most every post.

WGLandscapeMaintenance
09-30-2009, 12:41 AM
After reading several pages of this thread, no way I can tackle all 172..:dizzy:

I found my goal for my company!! One day I'd like to get to be 100% Landscape Installs.

JDavisLandscapes
09-30-2009, 12:53 PM
hey Jarod, are you familiar with chestnut hill at all? hes out of PA...i just took the icpi cert and he was the instructor, he seems really educated and has a big operation by you.

he was my instructor too along with paver pete

Junior M
09-30-2009, 08:52 PM
After flowing ETW;S posts for the last few years i think he will be in business after you are long gone.
Some people think they know everything, when they dont know ****. That would be you Junior, with most every post.

Wow, that was called for? I saw nothing I said offensive or rude in anyway? I simply asked a question.. And anything is possible, thats why I sayed what I did. ETW has an awesome business, does awesome work.. Everything about it is awesome. But he along with everyone else in business is very brave to drop the change on 3 to 4 new machines..

Also, if I dont claim to know everything, nor do I.. If you feel that way about me, then dont read my posts, I could give a s#it less.. I am not on this planet to please you..

old oak lawn
09-30-2009, 09:23 PM
Also, if I dont claim to know everything, nor do I.. If you feel that way about me, then dont read my posts, I could give a s#it less.. I am not on this planet to please you..[/QUOTE]

:cry::cry::cry: One day you will grow up.

Junior M
09-30-2009, 09:42 PM
Wow... Way to tell me to grow up when you know nothing about me, nor do you know me..
(just noticed a typo, shoulda said "Also, I dont" not if)

old oak lawn
09-30-2009, 10:01 PM
Wow... Way to tell me to grow up when you know nothing about me, nor do you know me..
(just noticed a typo, shoulda said "Also, I dont" not if)

I am not going to Jack ETW trend any longer. Have a nice day.:waving:

oakwdman
09-30-2009, 10:02 PM
Also, if I dont claim to know everything, nor do I.. If you feel that way about me, then dont read my posts, I could give a s#it less.. I am not on this planet to please you..

:cry::cry::cry: One day you will grow up.[/QUOTE]

Seems like you're the one that needs to look in the mirror and do some growing up. Correct me if I'm wrong but YOU instigated this little confrontation, with a driving point behind your comment of what?
Etw didnt start this thread for people to start useless and dare I say, childish altercations.

Back on topic now hopefully?

P.Services
09-30-2009, 10:09 PM
do you hear it yet?

old oak lawn
09-30-2009, 10:11 PM

Seems like you're the one that needs to look in the mirror and do some growing up. Correct me if I'm wrong but YOU instigated this little confrontation, with a driving point behind your comment of what?
Etw didnt start this thread for people to start useless and dare I say, childish altercations.

Back on topic now hopefully?[/QUOTE]

I was back on topic. The little ass hole has 6000 + posts so i know all i need to and you can KISS MY ASS.

tthomass
09-30-2009, 10:52 PM
Yeah well my Daddy's a fire fighter!!!.......

P.Services
09-30-2009, 11:04 PM
no no mr.thomas you are better then that.

please, sit back with me and listen, its coming.

Junior M
09-30-2009, 11:26 PM

Back on topic now hopefully?[/QUOTE]
I was trying to stay on topic, my apologies to ETW.. :waving:

Picasso, wacked out on something again or what? ;) What are we hearing? ;) :laugh:

Junior M
09-30-2009, 11:29 PM
I was back on topic. The little ass hole has 6000 + posts so i know all i need to and you can KISS MY ASS.

that was completely uncalled for there buddy..

And what does having 6000+ posts have to do with anything? sounds like you sir have ran out of information to judge me on..

Thats great, cause really, you had nothing in the first place..

Yeah well my Daddy's a fire fighter!!!.......

Not sure what to say on that...

no no mr.thomas you are better then that.

please, sit back with me and listen, its coming.

I am waiting for ETW to come back with a pretty awesome reply to all this useless crap oldwhatshisface has started..

P.Services
09-30-2009, 11:31 PM
grasshopper you know not what you awaitith

Junior M
09-30-2009, 11:34 PM
grasshopper you know not what you awaitith
I am awaitithing...

During this short pause of waiting, I'll seize the opportunity to ask, did you get the Deere fixed?

TXNSLighting
10-01-2009, 12:13 AM
I am not going to Jack ETW trend any longer. Have a nice day.:waving:

trend?????

etwman
10-01-2009, 09:45 AM
You guys get derailed so easily.

I had the pleasure of going to a Ritchie Brothers Auction yesterday. If you've never been to a Ritchie Brothers Auction (they are nationwide) you really should go sometime just to see how it work. First class all the way and thousands of pieces of equipment, if its used in construction its there. You want to talk about blood bath of deals on skid loaders yesterday.....

There was a T-190, decent shape, good tracks, medium hours went for $9500. I had a tough time saying no to that, but did. Two, literally brand new CAT 277C's loaded to the hilt, went for $29k each, keep in mind that's a mid $50's machine. ASV PT-80 track machine, 49 hours, $12,500. We snagged a 2006 CAT 262 wheeled machine, cab, bucket quick attach, pretty well loaded, new tires, 500 hours for $17,500.

Right now if you have the work for a skidder, and can write the check, you are sitting in the drivers seat for sure.

Junior M
10-01-2009, 09:47 AM
You guys get derailed so easily.

I had the pleasure of going to a Ritchie Brothers Auction yesterday. If you've never been to a Ritchie Brothers Auction (they are nationwide) you really should go sometime just to see how it work. First class all the way and thousands of pieces of equipment, if its used in construction its there. You want to talk about blood bath of deals on skid loaders yesterday.....

There was a T-190, decent shape, good tracks, medium hours went for $9500. I had a tough time saying no to that, but did. Two, literally brand new CAT 277C's loaded to the hilt, went for $29k each, keep in mind that's a mid $50's machine. ASV PT-80 track machine, 49 hours, $12,500. We snagged a 2006 CAT 262 wheeled machine, cab, bucket quick attach, pretty well loaded, new tires, 500 hours for $17,500.

Right now if you have the work for a skidder, and can write the check, you are sitting in the drivers seat for sure.
For sure, especially if you are looking for a large frame skidsteer/CTL

etwman
10-01-2009, 12:20 PM
The pic of the CAT 262B. Very clean, great price. How can you go wrong at $17,500.00

oakhillslandscaping
10-01-2009, 12:54 PM
nice grab. where was the location of this auction site?

JRSlawn
10-01-2009, 01:09 PM
Wow 9500 for a t190 and 17.5 for that man I need to come to pa to get a machine I guess.

etwman
10-01-2009, 03:04 PM
Ritchie Brothers is one of the largest equipment auction companies in the country. They are in alot of different states, but they make sure their auctions never overlap, since you can bid online.

www.rbauction.com

CertPro
10-01-2009, 04:55 PM
Thinking about Loegering for this???

etwman
10-01-2009, 05:02 PM
I probably will in time. Ironically, in the vast metropolis of this auction yesterday I didn't see one VTS system. I was pretty surprised, I was sniffing around for one. I won't stoop to dropping $11k on a new VTS setup, but I'll find one somewhere in the next year. Most likely someone wanting to sell a 262 with them on that can't get what they want for the whole machine.

They are out there. No doubt.

Dountman
10-01-2009, 09:00 PM
Jarod what do you do with the maintenance on these large projects once your work is completed? Do you just refer a company or sub the work out?

etwman
10-01-2009, 09:23 PM
Some of the landscape maintenance we do, some we refer, some have caretakers.

Junior M
10-01-2009, 11:36 PM
I probably will in time. Ironically, in the vast metropolis of this auction yesterday I didn't see one VTS system. I was pretty surprised, I was sniffing around for one. I won't stoop to dropping $11k on a new VTS setup, but I'll find one somewhere in the next year. Most likely someone wanting to sell a 262 with them on that can't get what they want for the whole machine.

They are out there. No doubt.
Check out www.ironplanet.com for VTS.. KSSS got a new set for cheap from there..

Ben's Landscape
10-02-2009, 07:24 AM
WOW what a cool cat. Also a very good price for it. Nice pictures keep them coming

theguynextdoor
10-02-2009, 10:30 PM
Why did you get the skid steer over the tracked loader? I know that you have said a wheel SS will be useless on some of your jobs when its muddy. Just wondering. Jobs look awesome as well.

PSUTURFGEEK
10-03-2009, 10:52 AM
Jarod already mentioned on previous posts he will be looking for a VTS which will give him the ability to do both.

TXNSLighting
10-03-2009, 10:42 PM
Nice man! I rented a 262B last winter and was very impressed by the machine. Great power and lifting abilities. You will love it.

etwman
10-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Well that didn't take long. I really wasn't anticipating finding them this quickly, but it was an awesome deal. Half of what they are new. If you notice, they are new, just some surface rust. Shoot the nips are still on the tracks. They were sitting behind a dealership for two years.

JDavisLandscapes
10-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Well that didn't take long. I really wasn't anticipating finding them this quickly, but it was an awesome deal. Half of what they are new. If you notice, they are new, just some surface rust. Shoot the nips are still on the tracks. They were sitting behind a dealership for two years.

nice find etw

etwman
10-05-2009, 05:04 PM
These pearls are $14k new! Got them for half. You won't find deals like this one too often, trust me.

Do the math. Basically a new loaded larger frame skidloader, new track system, new tires....all on the road for $24,500. That's a $60k machine new.

And people run to dealerships to by new why? That new warranty and 0% financing just cost you $35,500.00!!!!! better be one honey of a warranty

syzer
10-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Your gonna love those vts we bought a pair off of dale on the boards here, I am in disbelief as to what these machines can do with vts. They out perform the tracked machines I have used in the past!

Supper Grassy
10-05-2009, 05:50 PM
so how does the vts work

etwman
10-05-2009, 09:22 PM
Your gonna love those vts we bought a pair off of dale on the boards here, I am in disbelief as to what these machines can do with vts. They out perform the tracked machines I have used in the past!

You are about the 20th person that has told me that. I'm very curious to see how these out perform a fully dedicated track machine.

NEUSWEDE
10-05-2009, 09:53 PM
You are about the 20th person that has told me that. I'm very curious to see how these out perform a fully dedicated track machine.

I got a set a year ago for my Gehl off Iron planet they were used but in good condition and got them for $3500

How I ever worked with out them I have no clue. I haven't been stuck, after having these I will say I will never own a dedicated tracked machine. End of November the tracks come off tires go on for snow and stay on till sweeping is done in the spring.

Only down side is your probably going to need a wider bucket I went from a 72"to an 81" because the tracks made the machine 79" wide but is 70" on tires