PDA

View Full Version : Equipment photos

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13

etwman
04-20-2010, 08:56 PM
I bought that machine near Providence, but ended up having it delivered since I have absolutlely no time to spend 12 hours on the road. If I had more time I would have made the trip and connected. Maybe another time.

Glad the talk helped.

flairland
04-20-2010, 10:12 PM
Nice purchase Jarod. You're going to love the versatility of that machine. The tracked dingos are very impressive and all those attachments will make it one invaluable landscaping tool - and your employees will thank you.

etwman
04-25-2010, 08:53 AM
While I can't post every trick of the trade I do try and post information that can help everyone on occassion.

As businesses grow, more equipment will accumulate, its inevitable. Along with more equipment comes more equipment maintenance. Equipment down time can be a killer, especially on your vital pieces.

For us our vital ones are our skidloaders, field machines, and trucks. When a skid loader goes down it stops everything, or at least makes life very difficult in the field. If its totally dead you are at the mercy of a dealer to come out and fix it, usually at a skyrocketing rate. If you can get it to the dealer, you'll bend over, but not nearly as much as you will in the field on a dealer service truck.

Here's a suggestion that we have found to be extremely benefical to us in these predicaments. Probably around your location there are some major excavating companies, some of which you may know personally. These big boys have alot of equipment, which usually forces them to have on road service trucks. I can think of at least 6 in my local area. These service trucks generate no income, they are there to service and keep their own equipment up and running. Most of them contain an extremely skilled an knowledable service tech. A couple years ago we approached two companies and asked them if they would be interested in helping us maintain and service our equipment in an emergency. To make a long story short it has worked great and offsets some of their expenses. They will charge less than a dealer would, they can fix most emergencies in the field (blown lines, bad alternators, welds, fuel problems, etc) and can have us up and running very quickly. Their respose is very good and they come fully equipped with the necessities. Also keep in mind most of these bigger excavating companies run a second shift with mechanics because their equipiment is run during the day and needs serviced during the evening. We will just call, give the location, the problem, and its fixed by the next morning. No transporting, no taking a number at a dealer, quick turn around. Eventually they will learn your equipment well and have serial and model numbers documented, just like thier own equipment, so they can quickly research or stock parts.

However, keep in mind if you are able to form this type of relationship with an excavating company treat them well. Pay the bill on time, they are more or less doing you a great service.

Major failures, transmissions, engines, etc. yes they will need to go to a dealer but the smaller items in the field can be address quickly. You may even be surprised on how little they charge for oil changes, grease, and routine service.

Hope this piece of advice helps, we've found it very beneficial.

TLS
04-25-2010, 08:58 AM
Great info there!

They may also be a source for a loaner machine in a pinch.

etwman
04-25-2010, 09:53 AM
It can, though be careful from the insurance standpoint, making sure you are covered for rental equipment. If the opportunity is there to return a favor for excavation work, such as large boulder placement/walls, etc that becomes a plus as well. A large excavation company may not want to come out and dig out a patio, but larger stuff might be a nice exchance of services.

On another note I ran a new Deere 323D yesterday for about 7 hours with a rockhound. We've had it for about 6 weeks now. Significant improvements and a very roomy cab.

I think I'm going to sell the trencher that came with our Dingo. Make an offer via PM.

EagleLandscape
04-25-2010, 10:16 AM
Jarod, the tip about equipment maintenance makes alot of sense. I just picked up my first skidsteer the other day, just a T190. But the more equipment/(sometimes just seems like more junk) we accumulate, the greater the risk we run of something breaking and coming to a complete halt.

etwman
05-06-2010, 02:13 PM
Couple quick shots of various projects going on. Setting the ground work for a boulder wall which will stage the pool, fireplace, outdoor kitchen, pergola, and landscape to be installed shortly.

Second project is a natural stone we brought in from China, pretty neat. We are getting into more and more natural stone work and mortored walls, though we still have some paver patios sold. We are installing all the landscape over the next two weeks.

Third project is a pool project featuring natural stone steps, spa, landscape and lighting.

Busy spring.

etwman
05-06-2010, 02:15 PM
pics of the thrid project

Jelinek61
05-06-2010, 05:37 PM
Awesome as usual, keep the pics coming!!!!

etwman
05-06-2010, 06:29 PM
Was back out today, all the stone work is done, pool is full, quite a bit of landscape lighting is being installed. By end of next week, sodded, mulched and done.

PlatinumLandCon
05-06-2010, 09:16 PM
Are the joints in the irregular flag just soil to support groundcover plant material or are they sand? Jagged edge and irregular stone & steps lends itself to plant material in the joints IMO. Job looks good

etwman
05-06-2010, 09:21 PM
Screened topsoil and compost for small joint plantings between the flagstone, which will be installed soon. No stone dust or poly sand in these applications.

JRP LLC
05-06-2010, 10:27 PM
Nice work. I noticed the 323d I'm guessing that is a rental? How does it compare to the older jd ctl's? Ever had a 333d?

deere615
05-06-2010, 10:38 PM
that pool is very nice, I like the natural stone steps in it, something I would like in my back yard someday!

etwman
05-06-2010, 10:57 PM
We've put about 80 hours on the new 323D.

The 323D was released too early before they figured out some things. JD dropped the ball on a couple things there and have admitted it. There are some significant improvements but there are some definite questions marks. You could take a bath in the cab as its one of the nicer cab setups out there, extremely quiet.

Lift capacity on the new 323D is less than the old CT322, which is pretty dumb. One thing you don't want to sacrifice is lift capacity. The 323 is a bigger, more powerful machine but lifts less. It has some code issues too that they aware of and trying to work on.

In my opinion, I don't think I'd run out and buy one off the new lineup quite yet. Give them a year to work out the bugs, then go get one.

JRP LLC
05-06-2010, 11:00 PM
Thanks every new machine is bound to have a few problems. Are you still cutting grass or just hardscape?
Posted via Mobile Device

lifetree
05-07-2010, 12:08 AM
Man, the moderators should kill this thread ... any thread more than 100 pages should be sentenced to death !!

oakwdman
05-07-2010, 11:26 AM
Man, the moderators should kill this thread ... any thread more than 100 pages should be sentenced to death !!

What would any possible benefit of that be besides aiding someone who doesnt want to look through all 200 pages??
This site already has a cluster f*ck of threads, the last thing we need to do is force people to start another thread when they already have a good one going, pointless IMO.

S&MLL
05-09-2010, 02:54 AM
Was back out today, all the stone work is done, pool is full, quite a bit of landscape lighting is being installed. By end of next week, sodded, mulched and done.

Your landscape and stone work is beautiful. But have you ever thought of bringing in a lighting designer. Your projects from what I have seem really lack the pop your high end builds deserve. Is that unique paths I see? You should really be installing some spec grade lighting. Also those post lights imho are very very unattractive.

etwman
05-09-2010, 08:22 AM
We have begun using a industry leader in lighting design early this year. He is working hand in hand with our RLA. The results are very noticable. The lamp post lights in our previous project we didn't really design. They were already there, or the homeowner placed them.

Our lighting projects are no longer 5-10 fixtures, it has evovled into multiple 1200 watt transformers and dozens of fixtures.

EagleLandscape
05-09-2010, 02:03 PM
Looking good Jarod!

4seasonslandscapingPlus
05-09-2010, 03:30 PM
I definitely need to take a picture like this sometime and put it on my website.

etwman
05-12-2010, 05:59 PM
New logo coming very soon. One of the top possibilities.

Jelinek61
05-12-2010, 06:39 PM
I like it, it should look pretty sweet against your black trucks

Z-master man
05-12-2010, 07:57 PM
Hey ETW, you've probably mentioned this before, but whats your opinion on a roll off dump box and a standard dump truck? When your doing mulch installs and weeding will you just drop the can there and have the truck go do something else?

etwman
05-12-2010, 08:48 PM
Each foreman has their own truck and their own crew. Our foreman will talk amongst each other and share all the bodies we have. Sometimes we'll leave an extra can on the jobsite for scrap, mulch, etc. They don't typically drop a can and leave a crew somewhere for the day because all the tools are on a truck.

We're in the process of fabricating another cool body. We talked about it today and continue to brainstorm on ideas. We know what we want, its just making it all jive just right. We hope it will debut in the next month or so.

Still there is no comparison to a fleet of trucks with detachable body systems versus a stationary dump truck. To us its like black and white.

Swampy
05-12-2010, 09:24 PM
Sorry to get back on the snow topic.

You ever feel "left" out since you have some trucks sitting on the sidelines for the winter months?

I know you said plowing isn't that big of a operation for you.

Another question: Before you bought your first roll off, did you consider a municpal spec'ed truck?

etwman
05-12-2010, 09:33 PM
Our freightliners will sit before I would ever consider putting a plow on them. We only get two months of snow, it doesn't justify pushing snow with them.

I didn't consider municipal trucks. I knew what the route I wanted to go and fabricated them to exactly what would benefit us the most.

Gold Star Lawns
05-12-2010, 09:40 PM
I have followed this thread pretty closely since joining this site with only chiming in once or twice, but i have to put in my 2 cents here. I know my opinion doesn't matter, but I like the current logo better. I feel it better fits what you do and what your about.....I wouldn't change it. The little touch of green for earth and turf...brown obviously for wood....and the circular axis symbol connecting them. To me that in a nut shell easily explains what you do and you connect the three so well. I wouldn't change it.....but my vote doesn't count...but best of luck with whatever new logo you choose to go with.

etwman
05-12-2010, 09:52 PM
I have heard this from several people and thank you for your input. However rule of thumb in most industries is a logo change about once every 10 years to redefine the company. I do believe we are due, and with some introductions of some significant changes in the company within the last year, I feel this is probably the right time. I have not puller the lever yet but am getting pretty close to doing something.

deere615
05-12-2010, 10:52 PM
I was going to mention I like your current logo better also but the new one I think will stand out a bit better on the black trucks

Swampy
05-12-2010, 10:55 PM
How hard was it to "break" into doing more or less just hardscapes? care to elaborate on your first job?

yardworks, inc.
05-13-2010, 09:39 AM
We are fixing to lay pavers in a driveway that will have 20 ft. concrete sections. Our pavers will be 5 ft. sections in between these sections with a soldier course around the whole drive. Would you install in any expansion in between the concrete sections? Also how is the market doing in your area? Do you see any changes where the hardscape industry is heading toward? You said you are doing more stone and masonry work, is that because of just the customer or do you think that is the new trend in this market? Thanks for any info.

etwman
05-13-2010, 09:27 PM
I would definitely consider placing expansion joint in an against any permanently fixed object when installing pavers. If there's a doubt, do it, its cheap insurance.

We've witnessed steady growth over the past 10 years. Its attributable to alot of different things we do internally. The hardscape industry as a whole has taken some beatings from talking with manufacturers, but we have not witnessed it here at this company. Here's my take on all this, and don't take it personally, but I'm sure there are those out there who are going to criticize. In any business you can roll over and play dead, whine about lack of leads, no referrals from manufacturers, what the competitors is or isn't doing, etc. Or you can roll up your sleeves, work outside the box, do things no one else is doing, do good work, make smart financial and marketing decisions, and fight for the company. If you stay focused on that you won't care that much about what else is going on.

We're incorporating masonry work because its part of what we need to offer and adds another element to our services.

jg244888
05-13-2010, 10:19 PM
Just my opinion i like the idea of a fresh logo but i feel that the new one is kind of cold mabe because the leaf looks like kind of a stock photo. just my .02 though

etwman
05-24-2010, 01:28 PM
The Dingo has become a great tool! My guys are requesting a second one.

meets1
05-24-2010, 09:09 PM
I rent them and have used bobcats as well. Your guys deserve the machine and maybe a second if work calls for it. Where was the pciture taken - I notice those stripes in the background!?

As usually congrats with the work - some very sharp pictures and details.

JRP LLC
05-24-2010, 09:21 PM
That is a very nice trailer and set up. If that is your shop then you have a very backyard area at it.

klsgc
05-24-2010, 11:59 PM
ETW Man,
For a driveway paver application, do you ever pour concrete first, then an inch of sand, or do you just use a base material like chips and dust. If you do use concrete, do you have pvc pipes stubbed in to pour over so the sand drains through the concrete? Also, how do you secure your paver edging, drilling through the concrete for the nails seems like the only option unless you poured it a few inches too narrow and used a gravel base for the outside foot. Thanks

P.Services
05-25-2010, 04:00 PM
You need to look at a ditch witch zahn or a 600 tracked unit. Your guys won't touch that toroo if you buy a ditch witch mark my words.
Posted via Mobile Device

etwman
05-25-2010, 09:40 PM
ETW Man,
For a driveway paver application, do you ever pour concrete first, then an inch of sand, or do you just use a base material like chips and dust. If you do use concrete, do you have pvc pipes stubbed in to pour over so the sand drains through the concrete? Also, how do you secure your paver edging, drilling through the concrete for the nails seems like the only option unless you poured it a few inches too narrow and used a gravel base for the outside foot. Thanks

I have never understood why people insist on pouring concrete under pavers. To me its the dumbest thing. It goes against everything the industry states is right. If your base is right, compacted correctly, and pitched, you have nothing to worry about. Flex edge to secure the edges.

klsgc
05-25-2010, 11:17 PM
yeah, I hear what your saying, but on the other hand I have seen quite a few drives with wear patterns and depressions infront of the garage where the cars drive on the same spot 5-10 times a day. Would you go 6" of chips and dust, then an inch of sand, or skip the sand for the driveway?

klsgc
05-25-2010, 11:18 PM
btw, I cant vouch for the base used on the properties, so they may have skimped.

NewHorizon's Land
05-26-2010, 08:19 AM
KLS, you need way more than 6" of base material for driveways. This could be part of the problem along with many other possibilities.

etwman
05-26-2010, 09:40 AM
Its all in the base. I have 18" in front of the garage at my house and put 12-18" in most driveways that we do. Textile and checking overdig stabilization are a must.

I've never understood skimping on base, its cheap insurance.

TGM
06-02-2010, 12:55 AM
We've witnessed steady growth over the past 10 years. Its attributable to alot of different things we do internally. The hardscape industry as a whole has taken some beatings from talking with manufacturers, but we have not witnessed it here at this company. Here's my take on all this, and don't take it personally, but I'm sure there are those out there who are going to criticize. In any business you can roll over and play dead, whine about lack of leads, no referrals from manufacturers, what the competitors is or isn't doing, etc. Or you can roll up your sleeves, work outside the box, do things no one else is doing, do good work, make smart financial and marketing decisions, and fight for the company. If you stay focused on that you won't care that much about what else is going on.

just catching up on this thread that i haven't read in months. best quote/advice i've heard yet

yardworks, inc.
06-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Sent a pm.

yardworks, inc.
06-19-2010, 10:42 PM
sent a pm thanks for any info

twward
07-22-2010, 07:31 AM
I know it is a busy time of year, but are there any updates?

etwman
07-23-2010, 08:43 AM
Here's a quick 5 shots of what all we have going on. Pretty busy which is why I haven't had time to update. All the equipment is updated with the new logos, literature is done, and were waiting on a few shirts. Changing over a logo is not a simple process.

Real quick. First couple shots are of a 200 year old property were working on. We've been engaged to do the master plan of the whole property along with implementation. It will be completely refurbished with natural stone walls, pool, landscape, etc.. We've been working there for 2 months and anticipate being there for about 18 more. It has a ton of history to it and is a really neat property complete with an old mill, slaves quarters, and four dwellings.

Second one is an upcoming project (the rendering illustrates one version of what we are proposing). It will have a kitchen, fireplace, structure. Materials are still being finalized.

The third batch is a pool project we just finished up. We blocked up an outdoor fireplace and kitchen under the pavers with all the necessary utilities. This way we can lift the pavers at a later time and go right up with phase II.

etwman
07-23-2010, 08:45 AM
A few more of the third as we got creative with some Techo pavers.

meets1
07-23-2010, 01:54 PM
Looks awesomwe!
Posted via Mobile Device

Triple L
07-25-2010, 08:01 PM
Any new pics of the new body design or thoughts for the freightliners?

kodak mowing
07-27-2010, 10:00 PM
nice set up

etwman
07-28-2010, 05:32 PM
Here are some shots of some eqiupment with the new logo and the new body we had fabricated. Now keep in mind it was a flatbed body that we had for a while and put removable alumimum sides on it that will stack in the bulkhead. This will allow side loading of large trees, pallets, etc. The brace accross the top can be inserted for heavy loads of mulch etc. The barn door in the back can be removed with a couple bolts. All that and you can still use the heavy duty flatbed whenever you need it.

etwman
07-28-2010, 05:33 PM
Here are a few more shots of the body

JDavisLandscapes
07-28-2010, 07:52 PM
Very nice etw. I can't wait to get me one of those!

deere615
07-28-2010, 09:38 PM
New lettering and signs look good

eatonpcat
07-28-2010, 10:11 PM
You are BAD A$$!!! Looks great.

Jelinek61
07-28-2010, 10:22 PM
Your business never ceases to amaze me. You always seem to be expanding and innovating unlike other companies i've seen. As I move from full time college student to operating my business full time I hope to learn from your business model and prosper as you have. Thanks for contributing your knowledge to this site and keep the good info coming.

etwman
09-29-2010, 11:13 AM
Its been a little while and the business has kept me from updating a few pics. Here's a recent project that was finished down the mainline. Kitchen was prepped in for a later phase. We have another neat project coming up with travertine, pavillion, pool, etc. that I'll post some pics of later this fall.

DVS Hardscaper
09-29-2010, 07:58 PM
The fireplace looks GREAT!

The 2nd pic (the one below the fireplace job), well, ummm, I'm not too thrilled with the stonework. The stone is small, which makes it really really busy. And I see some huge mortar gaps.

The the 3rd pic (same job as the 2nd) the stone looks better and the joints are more consistant. I'm wonderin if the section in the 2nd pic was done with a low supply of stone and maybe a different stone dude......

2brothersyardcare
09-29-2010, 08:53 PM
i like the stone on the fire place but that wall looks kinda acward no afence i love your work and hope i can do it one day

bobcat48
09-29-2010, 09:18 PM
Real nice.all looks really good.great work.

Jelinek61
09-29-2010, 09:49 PM
The fireplace looks GREAT!

The 2nd pic (the one below the fireplace job), well, ummm, I'm not too thrilled with the stonework. The stone is small, which makes it really really busy. And I see some huge mortar gaps.

The the 3rd pic (same job as the 2nd) the stone looks better and the joints are more consistant. I'm wonderin if the section in the 2nd pic was done with a low supply of stone and maybe a different stone dude......

Its all the same job.

flairland
09-29-2010, 09:56 PM
Are those JD's yours or rentals? Job looks amazing, really admire all the natural stonework you do.

tthomass
09-29-2010, 10:53 PM
I would guess this is boxed stone, not a pallet. In which case, good quality and very minimal trash. The size is consistent with that particular field stone and if you go larger it's likely going to be dimensional to some extent vs irregular.....customer taste usually makes that determination. The joints look good to me. There's a couple that are big but it's completely within what is acceptable without settling for "good enough". Remember, rounded stone isn't so rounded if you start hammering on it. Additionally, field stone is already dirty/stained and any hammering you do stands out like a sore thumb.........not only with color but texture. A little acid would be good and may have been since the picture was taken. Also, look at the setting........big pines/spruce, fireplace, boulders......it's already got a wilderness look too it. Hence the reason you don't see polished granite counter tops on the walls.

Just my perspective.

meets1
09-29-2010, 11:22 PM
Stone looks great. I just finished a similar wall with what looks like the same stone as you used. A few gaps here and there add character and the clients taste and your surroundings all play a role in this type of work.

PSUTURFGEEK
09-30-2010, 03:01 PM
:hammerhead:i like the stone on the fire place but that wall looks kinda acward no afence i love your work and hope i can do it one day

wall looks kinda acward no afence Yall, If your work is as good as your spelling we might just stick with ETW.:hammerhead:

2brothersyardcare
09-30-2010, 07:27 PM
:hammerhead:

wall looks kinda acward no afence Yall, If your work is as good as your spelling we might just stick with ETW.:hammerhead:

my spelling sucks idk why my spell check didn't pic it up and i like the wall and all just to me the stone should be bigger but i do agree with the early stated comment

etwman
10-18-2010, 12:11 PM
Couple odds and ends in no particular order.

Picked up another 262B and will be putting another Kage plow on it for the winter.

Here are some pics of a job we did earlier this year. Turned out pretty nice.

Off to the GIE next Thursday for two days. First time headed there in 5 years so it should be neat to see it all again.

Back to work....

SIWEL
10-18-2010, 01:02 PM
everything you do is always top notch, I am never disappointed when I look at this thread!

eatonpcat
10-18-2010, 01:16 PM
Turned out pretty nice.

Understatement of the year!!! :drinkup:

MLAWCARE
10-18-2010, 03:34 PM
damn looks like a catalog picture

bobcat48
10-18-2010, 05:55 PM
wow thats nice.i really like it.great job.

TGM
10-18-2010, 10:05 PM
etw, has anyone approached you about doing write-ups on your business? i think an article on you in Entrepreneur Magazine would be real nice since you're at the top of your game when it comes to the landscape construction industry.

meets1
10-18-2010, 10:46 PM
going to the expo - I opted not to this year but if your there heck I should!! Great work as usually!

deere615
10-18-2010, 11:39 PM
Just amazing the lighting in all your jobs-landscape pool fire place etc really makes the project look top notch

The LawnRanger
10-18-2010, 11:51 PM
Sweet set up

yardworks, inc.
10-19-2010, 12:00 AM
Did your company handle the stamped concrete or did you sub this out? Also did the client not want to do pavers or are you expanding into concrete work too?

staytonlawncare
10-19-2010, 03:35 AM
First time I have seen this thread. Just looked at all 208 pages. BLOWN AWAY. Wish I could afford to have you do work on my house. Keep up the great work. Enjoy reading the knowledge you share as well.

murrayslandscaping22
10-19-2010, 09:56 PM
your business is an inspiration to me and i'm pretty close to you im right outside of philly by the west chester area. what size are your brentwood wheelbarrows, i have a 10 cu one and its way to big i want to get two single wheeled ones i was wondering if you had the 6 cu or the 8 cu single wheel? Thanks

kreft
12-25-2010, 02:48 PM
hows things going etw?

Oasis-Outdoor
12-28-2010, 11:34 AM
ETW:
I have a couple of quick ?'s for you. On your concrete block (CMU's) with the facestone, do you put a scratch coat of mortar on the wall before applying your stone. Do you use regular old type N mortar for attaching your stone? I have very little experience in hardscaping and this information is just for a patio project on my own property. Thanks for all your postings and information on here. Happy & prosperous 2011!

fool32696
01-02-2011, 10:09 PM
I've been a big fan for a number of years. I'm wanting to completely re-do my website and wondered if you had any advice for hiring a web-design/seo company. Also, your pictures are always incredible. What camera do you use?

etwman
01-03-2011, 08:51 AM
I haven't posted much since we are still quite busy, despite the cold temps. Still running hard in the field with hardscape construction as we have a nice winter backlog. Concrete blankets have become our friends. We are also constructing two nice displays in the area which should benefit us tremendously in the future.

Answers to questions: Here's my opinion on websites and photography. It is mine, so I'm sure there will be conflicting opinions out there. Pay peanuts, get monkeys. Website design, you get what you pay for. Buy a $50 site, get a $50 site. Myself and some of my peers in the industry will budget $5k-$8k for a website overhaul at least once every two years. Samething with professional photography. Get what you pay for. I have a pretty nice Canon SLR, and we budget a decent amount for professional photography a year. SEO, if you're good and know what your doing, you can optimize it yourself. If not you'll pay a little a month to really get it where you need too. Spending a grand a month isn't worth it in my opinion.

I will post some pics of what we are doing later.

etwman
01-03-2011, 04:02 PM
Couple shots of an indoor display we are building. Telescoping 30k lbs of material onto the second floor. 16 different varities of pavers, outdoor kitchen, fireplace, pergola, deck, etc. High res pics on the walls. It'll be like nothing else out there. More pics to come as it evolves.

Something to do for the winter?

The Book: Becoming a Category of One by Joe Calloway
The Conference: GROW 2011 with Marty Grunder and others in Dayton Ohio.

RPM90
01-03-2011, 06:43 PM
Just ordered that book, I read your whole thread a couple of times, I live pretty close to you I live right outside of philly. If you ever had time in your busy schedule I'd love to just sit down and talk to you I am a young guy only 19 have two trucks on the road one lawn maintenance crew and one landscaping crew. I strive to one day do some of the jobs you complete on a daily basis.

DaytonBioLawns
01-08-2011, 03:31 AM
I wish I could afford to go to Grow 2011. Marty Grunder lives down the street from me.... I know some of his family because of him living in town and such. Is Mr. Powell going to be a part of it as well (Tom's Mulch)?

I am in Dayton as well. Like the kid above, I am only 18 and aspire to be somewhat like you. I run a two truck crew as well....

Haha you want to do something fun while your in town? Go down to Fox Hollow Rodeo. It isn't far at all. I'd like to meet you... Loved the thread... Great design skills. You are more than welcome to come out and visit us while you are in Dayton.

Are you participating in the seminar as a guest speaker? Or are you there for the insight like the rest of us?

DaytonBioLawns
01-08-2011, 04:01 AM
Oh... and why are the outdoor guys working indoors?! please explain a lil more about that project.... cause man that looks complicated and expensive.

etwman
01-08-2011, 09:23 AM
I'm headed to GROW, taking my LA and two project managers. Joe Calloway will be there speaking and having just finished his book I'm looking forward to meeting him. In addition there's quite a few other company owners I respect alot in the industry that I'll be meeting there as well. I'll have a pretty full schedule, with some meetings in the evenings.

I've spent some time with Marty, both in person and over the phone. He a big asset to this industry and is a wealth of knowledge.

I've never been to GROW but everyone I've talked too who's attending, they say it is one of the best green conferences in the country. If I were you I'd beg, borrow, or steal to get there.

The display we are building is inside a high end store in the area, mirroring our target market. I'll post some pics when its complete.

grassman177
01-08-2011, 10:18 AM
Couple odds and ends in no particular order.

Picked up another 262B and will be putting another Kage plow on it for the winter.

Here are some pics of a job we did earlier this year. Turned out pretty nice.

Off to the GIE next Thursday for two days. First time headed there in 5 years so it should be neat to see it all again.

Back to work....

suberb, in fact i find this the ideal set up i never knew i wanted! it is perfect, who designed it, you or them or both?>

etwman
01-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Here's my take on these conferences, like GROW, GIE, and some other solid educational events throughout the year. If your sitting on your couch, saying I only made $1000 this year and can't afford to go to these things. That tells me one thing. You need conference more than most if your serious about growing your company to be the best it can be.

If your sitting there thinking well I just pimped my pickup with rims, lift kit, a $2k stereo, pushbar, and anything else that you think looks cool (but completely doesn't make you any more money and has no value on resale)....and you still don't have $1000, then you really need a good bat over the head and then a wake up call with a good conference.

Sorry if it is a harsh reality check, but there are good entrepenuers out there that have a heart of gold, a sharp mind, and some coin, who really want to grow these businesses. These guys need to be at solid educational conferences like this. For those who run around in pickups that redefine pimped, don't pay their bills, have no desire to grow and don't care...do us all a favor and go find another occupation so that this industry doesn't get a black eye.

That's my thoughts for the day. Great to hear John Wingfield from Eagle Landscaping and Todd Thomasson from Rock Water Farms are going to GROW, these is going to be cool!

mcryan
01-08-2011, 09:34 PM
I cannot find info on this conference. Does anyone have a web address.

Thanks

Ryan

normower
01-08-2011, 10:17 PM
Here it is.
www.martygrundermotivationalspeaker.com/store/grow2011-registration/

mcryan
01-08-2011, 10:56 PM
Thank you!!

etwman
01-09-2011, 08:58 AM
That's it. I'd be willing to bet you could go to this conference for $1000 or less with airfare/hotel/food if you don't wait until last minute to book flights. That's cheap education for what is being put on the table.

mrusk
01-09-2011, 10:46 AM
Thanks for telling us about GROW jarad. Im going to go.

etwman
01-09-2011, 12:38 PM
Now everyone would be stupid not to go since Matt Rusk will be attending. That's a bonus in itself, and you don't even have to pay for that.

There's a definable difference in winter conferences. There's the infamous hardscape conventions, plant expos, etc. Their primary reason for existance is to get you to buy their product, see their new stuff, and listen to some free seminars which give you some warm and fuzzies. Chances are they'll have the same format each year, maybe modified slightly. They'll be slanted towards a product line, give you a ton of free junk you fall over, and plop you in a room of contractors who are looking for a free lunch and wouldn't know the word profit if it fell out of the sky and smacked them in the forehead. Trust me I've been to most, and while they do help, they aren't going to help you grow your business to a level at which you really need too.

THEN there are the educational conferences. You gotta dig a little to find them, but they are out there. The meaty ones let's call them. I've been to several of those. Yes you are going to pay to go too them, and pay you will. However, you'll walk away from these type of conferences with a list of things you are going to rigoursly work on for your company. I always say a good educational conference will leave you walking away mentally exhausted with ideas, dreams, and images of where you want to be in 5 years and a road map of how to get there. If you're smart you'll bring a tablet of paper that is so heavy you can't stand to carry it, a pack of pens, and some advil for your writing hand.

Pick your poison. Once again get what you pay for.

EagleLandscape
01-10-2011, 10:19 AM
Matt Rusk is going, I'm in! HAHA!

Jarod, I booked hotels, airfare, and purchased tickets to Grow 2011 last night. I think it was right at $1,000 per person. I am bringing my General Manager along with me.

Looking forward to finally meeting you and Todd, and still don't know what to think about meeting Matt:).

Becoming a Category of One: How Extraordinary Companies Transcend Commodity and Defy Comparison is a great book. Marty sent it to me last week, and I read the entire thing over the weekend.

We are at $2MM in sales this year, and have a goal to be in the Top 100 landscape companies in the nation within 5 years from now. To reach that goal, we will need to hit $15MM in annual sales. Looking forward to GROW 2011!

http://www.lawnandlandscape.com/ll_0809_cover_top_150.aspx

iowa
01-10-2011, 11:47 AM
Nice to see you are all going. I booked everything early last week. Hope to see you all there!

syzer
01-10-2011, 01:03 PM
What hotel are you guys staying at?

etwman
01-10-2011, 01:54 PM
We are all at the Marriott in Dayton. I'm pretty sure that's where the conference is located. I have about 30 peers that I know are coming, with most of them bringing some staff.

I know Marty had mentioned capping this thing at a certain number, not sure where they are at with it though.

syzer
01-10-2011, 02:15 PM
Thanks, I was just able to find all the info on one of his pages. Was only pulling up the reg page previously.

EagleLandscape
01-10-2011, 04:16 PM
Marriot here as well.

kreft
01-10-2011, 07:07 PM
etw- check ur pm's

Tony Clifton
01-11-2011, 06:37 PM
Matt Rusk is going, I'm in! HAHA!

We are at $2MM in sales this year, and have a goal to be in the Top 100 landscape companies in the nation within 5 years from now. To reach that goal, we will need to hit $15MM in annual sales. Looking forward to GROW 2011!

http://www.lawnandlandscape.com/ll_0809_cover_top_150.aspx

Congrats to you both on your success. That's a great goal, do you have a plan in place in terms of how to get there, time frame, etc? I have a similar goal but am in a smaller market so we will have to expand into other markets.

This is one of those that I should probably attend, I went to GIC and took my sales guy this past Oct. I am anctious to hear how the conference goes.

Tony Clifton
01-11-2011, 06:58 PM
Jarod/others, while on the topic of conferences, have you ever been to the Executive Forum?

etwman
01-12-2011, 10:29 PM
I have not, but there is another one that I'm looking into at another facility that's very similar to that which Marty Grunder recommends. Some of my other peers in the industry have been through this one.

DaytonBioLawns
01-13-2011, 02:59 AM
I wish I would've remembered this earlier! lol.... I could've asked santa for GROW tickets! haha.... I'll have to talk to Mr. Grunder about it...

And I doubt he would cap it btw! I know "exclusive" causes demand....but he is getting good money for those tickets and from other supporting groups and he is a successful business man! He is a successful landscaper ANDDDD motivational speaker. I don't know which one made him more money?! haha I have talked to people outside of the US who know his name at the first mention of "landscape". Most have his books.

syzer
01-13-2011, 11:06 AM
Jarod/others, while on the topic of conferences, have you ever been to the Executive Forum?

Hey Tony, are you going to GROW2011? Would like to meet you! Are you still with Navix? Ill drop ya a message!

I am going to book it today for myself and my operations manager.

syzer
01-13-2011, 11:07 AM
I have not, but there is another one that I'm looking into at another facility that's very similar to that which Marty Grunder recommends. Some of my other peers in the industry have been through this one.

Jarod, do you use Marty as a consultant?

Tony Clifton
01-13-2011, 12:47 PM
Hey Tony, are you going to GROW2011? Would like to meet you! Are you still with Navix? Ill drop ya a message!

I am going to book it today for myself and my operations manager.

Chris, I'm going to pass GROW but look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts on it. I am still with Navix but really need to work on that relationship. My sales guy said he had a really good convo with you know who last week. How about you?

flairland
01-13-2011, 05:32 PM
I'm gonna make an effort to get to this conference too. Is it worth the extra $300 to get VIP?

etwman
01-13-2011, 05:41 PM
If you want some one on one time time with Marty, go to his house, and get to know him then yes. For me and my staff who know him, it won't be worth it. We'll strategize in the lobby in the evenings, or go out to dinner with peers.

You have to know what you want. if I didn't know Marty from Adam I would probably do it.

syzer
01-13-2011, 07:42 PM
Chris, I'm going to pass GROW but look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts on it. I am still with Navix but really need to work on that relationship. My sales guy said he had a really good convo with you know who last week. How about you?

I currently am, but frankly we have had enough. We are going to be moving on as soon as I get some of our stuff back from him. Tired of the promises, lack of attention, lack of response, etc.

We are in the process of switching to Boss LM after much research, and likely to Ed Laflamme for our consulting purposes.

Best of luck with the munchkin, if you can get him away from Rich long enough and to concentrate on you and your company he is great. We are just paying too much for way too little.

etwman
01-14-2011, 08:46 PM
I had to talk with Marty about some things this evening. I inquired about GROW and it will be capped at 125, they are around 95 now. Reserve soon, this will be cool in the fact that it'll be such a powerhouse conference, but not multitudes of people. I'd be very surprised if it doesn't sell out in the next few weeks.

Earlier this week I had the great pleasure of having some incredible peers at my place for a day of strategizing for 2011. They represent some incredible design/build companies from all over the northeast. Many of them brought their key people, as our LA's met together, project managers exchanged ideas, and company owners met in my office. Its a huge benefit to have friends like this in our industry and days like this that prove so beneficial. Their feedback on launching a new division that we will be unveiling in a month was priceless.

Jelinek61
01-15-2011, 06:00 PM
Thats a cool idea to have a meeting with your competitors. Making friends instead of enemies is always a plus. Its to bad that in today's world people are way to quick to stab a competitor in the back rather than work together and provide the best service they can.

etwman
01-15-2011, 06:07 PM
I wouldn't say they are our competitors. We are all peers who are all outside of each others competitive area whom I know and have a great deal of respect for. You have to be a little sensitive to having something like this with direct competitors. While you can do it, you cannot nearly get as indepth with topics and all the successful tools of each company.

Tony Clifton
01-15-2011, 06:39 PM
Look forward to hearing about what you're about to launch!

TriCityLawnCareLLC
01-15-2011, 07:37 PM
ETW-

From your first pics to your most recent...amazing. I don't know a whole lot, practically nothing about how you got started, who helped or anything like that, but kudos to you my friend. It has to feel absulutely awesome to look back at what you've built. You're a good example of building a solid business. Thanks for starting this thread (9 years ago) :).

etwman
01-15-2011, 09:39 PM
Look forward to hearing about what you're about to launch!

You know Tony, if you'd buy a plane ticket and come to Ohio in the beginning of February for GROW I could discuss with you first hand the details.....

Tony Clifton
01-16-2011, 11:36 AM
I am toying with the idea, we are going to listen to Marty's webinar tomorrow, if it gets us really excited maybe the trip will be made.

syzer
01-16-2011, 11:39 AM
I am toying with the idea, we are going to listen to Marty's webinar tomorrow, if it gets us really excited maybe the trip will be made.

That would be cool =), Im sitting in on the webinar tomorrow as well. Hopefully we can pick some good info up.

Tony Clifton
01-16-2011, 11:48 AM
Cool, I had almost forgotten about the webinar - I did just remember that I am going to Disney just over a week after this conference so I am still not sure. I think that I would be most inclined to go for the networking opportunities but if we get excited tomorrow I may go ahead.
The logistics seem to make it tough, are you guys flying into DAY? Do they have a shuttle to the hotel or do you have to pay for a 30 min cab ride? (not sure why I am asking this, I am about to start researching it).

syzer
01-16-2011, 11:59 AM
Cool, I had almost forgotten about the webinar - I did just remember that I am going to Disney just over a week after this conference so I am still not sure. I think that I would be most inclined to go for the networking opportunities but if we get excited tomorrow I may go ahead.
The logistics seem to make it tough, are you guys flying into DAY? Do they have a shuttle to the hotel or do you have to pay for a 30 min cab ride? (not sure why I am asking this, I am about to start researching it).

We are flying into DAY and getting a rental car. If our flights jive your more than welcome to ride with us.

etwman
01-16-2011, 12:23 PM
Tony / Syzer I'll PM you with some other information and my itinerary. If I can help out in any way I will.

iowa
01-16-2011, 12:51 PM
It's my understanding that the Marriot doesn't have a shuttle to the hotel. I think I will be taking a cab to the hotel instead of renting a car. If anyone elses flight gets into DAY around 12:30 - 12:45 on that Thursday I would be willing to share a cab ride.

Jarod, are you flying in or driving from PA?

etwman
01-16-2011, 12:56 PM
Driving? C'mon, that's like pulling teeth for me. No I'm coming in Wednesday afternoon for some meetings, the rest of my staff is coming in Thursday morning.

South Florida Lawns
01-16-2011, 01:23 PM
You guys should start a branch down here in Florida, your quality of work is not common around here, and would easily make you guys stand out on top.

etwman
01-16-2011, 08:23 PM
I appreciate your kind words, but I have enough to worry about up here in PA, and there's plenty of room to grow up here. Although I could do without the 14 degree temps tonight.

EagleLandscape
01-17-2011, 12:14 AM
Shoot, the hotel doesnt have a shuttle?

Well I guess I'll be catching a cab or renting a car then.

Jarod, I'll be coming in Wednesday as well if that opportunity presents itself. The rest of the team will be flying in on Thursday and landing around 12:45pm.

jeffslawnservice
01-17-2011, 01:35 AM
Mr. etwman I have followed your thread for awhile now and I must say not only is your work great but it gives me alot of idease for projects that I have.

I can see where you were comming from saying how several people will put $1000 into their truck but not into a class or something useful for their business, This GROW conference that you talk about sounds very interesting I would love to go and would have no problem putting that money out but I will either be back in class or down at MAHTS. My question for you is since were both in PA did you take any landscape or horticulture classes at any colleges in the state such as Penn State? Also I have heave heard different answers to this question by several different people, If you do mix native and non-native plants together in a landscape do they survive together? With my experience they do but I have had a few certified horticulturalists say they do not and I was wondering if you could shed some light on this topic.

Daniel's Lawn Care
01-17-2011, 12:55 PM
Could someone please share a link about this GROW conference. It sounds very interesting but I can't seem to find it on Google. Thanks. BTW, etwman, any more pictures?

iowa
01-17-2011, 01:05 PM
http://www.martygrundermotivationalspeaker.com/grow2011/

Daniel's Lawn Care
01-17-2011, 01:25 PM
http://www.martygrundermotivationalspeaker.com/grow2011/

Thank you very much!

RhinoL&L
01-23-2011, 04:43 PM
ETW, ive been following your thread for some time and it seems you are a front runner in our industry with great ideas to better manage a business. After hearing about GROW 2011 in your thread, I registered for it including the vip registration. I had a couple questions about GROW and thought you and others who have previously attended could best answer my questions.

What do you recommend bringing along to the conference besides a pen and paper? Is the conference formatted as a one way lecture, or will there be multiple opportunities for dialogue between the attendees and the speaker? Is there much interaction/idea sharing between attendees? Any other advice or suggestions that will help get the most out of the conference as a whole?

Thanks for the help, hopefully Ill get to meet you and some of the other guys from here that always seem to be on the ball!

Shawn

etwman
01-23-2011, 04:55 PM
I'd bring a couple pads of paper and some pens. If its easier to take notes on a laptop, that may work fine too.

I'm pretty sure there will be some panel discussions for Q & A, but most will be lecture by Marty and other speakers.

I know the evenings will be a prime time to interact with other peers from the industry. I know there's a resturant in the Marriott, as well as I'm sure there are others in the area.

I'd be happy to chat with you some. I'm committed that Wed and Thursday night, but hope to meet some other peers from this site on Friday night.

Hope this helped some.

tthomass
01-24-2011, 08:39 AM
See "ya'll" on Thursday. I was surprised no shuttle to the hotel but they told me a cab is $34 vs about $80-$100 for a rental........unless you want a cute Toyota Yaris. My brother will be joining me too. Looking forward to it!

Voice recorder would be a good idea to bring.......I assume they don't mind.

etwman
01-24-2011, 05:00 PM
This thing is going to be cool, looking forward to it. For a while I thought it would be neat to have a conference where respectable peers could meet to grow their businesses. The list continues to build of people I know are attending. Some of whom I've never met and will for the first time in Dayton. I'm sure there will be some great hang out sessions in the evenings.

iowa
01-24-2011, 05:19 PM
Has the limit of attendees been met yet? If it hasn't yet I would guess it will be very shortly.

I look forward to hopefully getting the opportunity to meeting you all. I also just received Joe's book in the mail, and am looking forward to the conference even more after reading the first couple chapters.

etwman
01-24-2011, 05:27 PM
My book is so marked up from things you can barely read it. You won't be able to put it down. I love when Joe talks about exceeding customer expectations on page 151: "I always cringe a little when I work with a company, and there are lots of them, that say they will 'Exceed Customers Expectations.' Fine. Wonderful. Now let me ask you a question. Do you have even a remote idea how incredibly high your customer's expectations are? With today's demanding customer you are going to have to do cartwheels, triple back flips, and swan dives through rings of fire just to come close to even meeting their expectations, much less exceeding them. ....Just remember you don't decide if you've exceeded the customers expectations, the customer does."

In the world of high end design/build there could not be more truth to this quote.

You won't be able to put the book down......

tthomass
01-24-2011, 06:00 PM
I just started reading it and want to go white water rafting with that guide. His screws are a little loose but determined, sounds like a good time haha. I'm reading it through the first time and the second time will be notes notes notes notes notes. And I hate reading but it's worthwhile.....I swear I'm A.D.D.

My book is so marked up from things you can barely read it. You won't be able to put it down. I love when Joe talks about exceeding customer expectations on page 151: "I always cringe a little when I work with a company, and there are lots of them, that say they will 'Exceed Customers Expectations.' Fine. Wonderful. Now let me ask you a question. Do you have even a remote idea how incredibly high your customer's expectations are? With today's demanding customer you are going to have to do cartwheels, triple back flips, and swan dives through rings of fire just to come close to even meeting their expectations, much less exceeding them. ....Just remember you don't decide if you've exceeded the customers expectations, the customer does."

In the world of high end design/build there could not be more truth to this quote.

You won't be able to put the book down......

RhinoL&L
01-24-2011, 08:55 PM
ETW and tthomass,
Could you give me the title of the book you guys are talking about, I would love to get my hands on some good info, too bad I didnt look into the books sooner, I would have loved to have been able to go through them a couple times and take some notes before GROW!

Thanks
Shawn

tthomass
01-24-2011, 09:00 PM
'Becoming a Category of One' by Joe Calloway.....check Amazon.com

etwman
01-25-2011, 09:19 AM
Don't quote me on this Shawn, but I believe when you register for GROW then send you a copy of the book. I could be wrong though.....

RhinoL&L
01-25-2011, 09:34 AM
Don't quote me on this Shawn, but I believe when you register for GROW then send you a copy of the book. I could be wrong though.....

That would be great, if they do I'll have two copies! I just ordered it from amazon late last night. No problem though I guess Illl have a marked up copy and a clean copy.

Hopefully I'll be able to meet most of you here in two weeks!

ColvinsPS
01-25-2011, 03:05 PM
Phew... after about 3 days of off and on during downtime reading this whole thread i am nothing but extremely impressed with you ETWman. I completely admire your work and your ability to successfully grow a business the way you have.

I would love to talk with you sometime in the future and just glean some information from you. It is cool to see your history of working with Hope International and the Katrina trips. That shows a lot about your character.

I pray God continues to bless your work!

Thanks for keeping us amazed with your updates with pictures and insight.

etwman
01-25-2011, 07:04 PM
I appreciate your kind words. I'm glad I can help others grow as well. It has been a fun journey, full of ups and downs, but neat to see it evolve. It's hard to believe we spend more on one rock now than we billed on our entire first landscape job. Equally exciting is what the future holds. I am not one to sit around with my feet on the desk. The things we have planned for the next 2-3 years are really neat and am anxious to see what the future holds.

Good luck with your 2011!

JDavisLandscapes
01-25-2011, 07:16 PM
ETW, Good luck in 2011! Looking foward to checking out some more of your work.

When you get a chance check out my thread, we grew quite a bit since last time you were on there. Plus your advice has always been spot on, considering we do basically the same type of work. We also had some pretty cool larger projects this year, all of which I did the design work as well. Would love to see what you think. About to make some large investments, would love to get your input on them. (Rather talk to you about it on my thread so I dont jack yours).

We're not to far away from eachother, Maybe one of these days I'll have to take a ride out your way and say hello.

Thanks again,

Jim

old oak lawn
01-26-2011, 08:31 PM
'Becoming a Category of One' by Joe Calloway.....check Amazon.com

Ordered the book today from Amazon. I have been following ETW's and tthomass treads for some time now and if they say it's a good book i had to get it. Thanks :waving:

scagmower
01-28-2011, 12:46 AM
Hey ETW

Everything looks great and your information has been a big help to my company and I. Thanks for keeping this thread going. I was wondering if you could recommend a good design software? we have always drawn them out on paper in the past but it seems like this is a thing of the past. Can you give me some input on this?

thanks

barney14
01-29-2011, 12:46 PM
Just finished Becoming a Category of One and it was great, any other books you would recommend?

TriCityLawnCareLLC
01-29-2011, 01:05 PM
Just got ordered the book today. It may have already been talked about, but how often do they do GROW? Is it an annual event? Thanks.

etwman
01-29-2011, 04:54 PM
Dynascapes will be a good design software to get you started. It has a color module and will have a 3D module soon. There are more advanced ones out there for $15k, but bang for the buck Dynascapes will work.

GROW is an annual conference, held every year in Feb.

Tony Clifton
01-30-2011, 11:59 AM
Hey Jarod, just saw the article in Lawn & Landscape looks good, those writeups are always fun. It seemed like there was a screw up in the editing dept. though...or am I totally overlooking the end of the article?

etwman
01-30-2011, 12:28 PM
Truth be told Tony, I haven't even seen it yet, so you are one step ahead here. They contacted me, I went through the interview, and sent some pics in. Beyond that I didn't know which issue it was in or even what it was going to say. This is one of five magazines we're in this spring, some are short, others are 9 pages. Not all our targeting our company specifially, some are discussing outdoor living, etc.

Which month did it end up in?

syzer
01-30-2011, 01:22 PM
Hey Jarod, just saw the article in Lawn & Landscape looks good, those writeups are always fun. It seemed like there was a screw up in the editing dept. though...or am I totally overlooking the end of the article?

Ya, I cant find the end anywhere.

Truth be told Tony, I haven't even seen it yet, so you are one step ahead here. They contacted me, I went through the interview, and sent some pics in. Beyond that I didn't know which issue it was in or even what it was going to say. This is one of five magazines we're in this spring, some are short, others are 9 pages. Not all our targeting our company specifially, some are discussing outdoor living, etc.

Which month did it end up in?

Congrats on the articles Jarod. Its in the January 2011 issue pg 40.

http://lawnandlandscape.texterity.com/lawnandlandscape/201101#pg56

etwman
01-30-2011, 01:35 PM
Funny....i'd finish the article for you if I could remember what in the world I said.

Thanks for the link.

etwman
01-30-2011, 03:26 PM
"....you can position yourself well with not begin overlevereaged at multiple lending institutions." Or something of that nature.

T Scapes
01-31-2011, 01:38 AM
nice work and nice company do you ever do any work in the west chester area?

EagleLandscape
02-02-2011, 04:06 PM
"....you can position yourself well with not begin overlevereaged at multiple lending institutions." Or something of that nature.

Jarod, did L&L cut the end of your sentence off?

weird.

Atlantic Turf
02-04-2011, 08:05 AM
I saw the same thing last night in L&L. :confused:

etwman
02-05-2011, 06:38 PM
Yes I did see that, not sure why.

On another note who all is coming to GROW this week from LS? I know of the following, let me know if I'm missing anyone, I'm sure I am. We'll see if we can all get together one night.

Todd Thomasson from Rockwater Farm
John Wingfield from Eagle Landscape
James Gilliland from Gilliland Landscaping
Matt Rusk, Rusk Enterprises

Tony what did you decide?

Tony Clifton
02-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Not this year but look forward to hearing about it.

etwman
02-05-2011, 06:57 PM
You're killing me Tony......;)

Graveslawncare
02-05-2011, 07:08 PM
Great thread, read the whole thing front to back over the last couple weeks.

I have a lot of respect for you and your company. Look forward to see it keep growing. Learned a lot from it as well, thanks for all the info you have shared.

Have a great time at GROW. I found out about it too late to be able to work it out. We'll see about next year. Tell the guys I said hi. It would be awesome to be able to meet you, John and Todd all at the same time. I follow all 3 of you guys and a meeting with you all would be priceless, and a blast.

Anyways, congrats on everything. Look forward to talking to you more :waving:

syzer
02-05-2011, 09:07 PM

On another note who all is coming to GROW this week from LS? I know of the following, let me know if I'm missing anyone, I'm sure I am. We'll see if we can all get together one night.

Chris Pasko +1 from Precision Landscaping =) doing the VIP thing since its my first time so not sure what availability will be.

etwman
02-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Chris shoot me a contact email (via pm) and I'll cc you and everyone Mon or Tues about a place to eat dinner together Thurs or Fri night.

I know Todd and John are both bringing someone in their staff, I'm bringing three, not sure about everyone else. More the merrier.

Same thing goes for anyone else attending from here, pm me your email and I'll include you in the invite.

tthomass
02-05-2011, 10:44 PM
I fly out Thursday morning (thank you business reward points) and bringing my brother. We'll both be doing the VIP package thingy. Don't forget to respond to Marty's email......I'm curious to see if he reads my out loud haha.

See ya'll soon........I'll be the guy in blue of course.

RhinoL&L
02-06-2011, 08:39 PM

I am also attending, riding solo however.
Shawn Rine, Rine Landscape Group

I am really looking forward to it, and getting to meet everyone will be great!

iowa
02-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Looking forward to meeting everyone. If anyone is arriving to the airport around 12:45 tomorrow, I am going by myself and would be willing to share a cab to the hotel.

Jarod, did you get my PM?

etwman
02-09-2011, 12:11 PM
I did. Will email everyone tonight. In Dayton now.
Posted via Mobile Device

RhinoL&L
02-10-2011, 07:38 AM
Jarod,
Did you get my PM? Just thought I'd check, didn't get an email last night. I don't want to be left out! haha, I'm sure yesterday was busy, but just thought I would post to double check.

Thanks,
Shawn

etwman
02-10-2011, 07:55 AM
Just sent an email out this morning, was tied up last night.

6:30 tonight in the lobby of the Marriott, we'll go from there.

RhinoL&L
02-10-2011, 08:03 AM
Jarod,
I am doing the VIP thing, so I'm not sure I'll be able to make it, I will be there if there is nothing happening with the VIP group though! Thanks for your willingness to include everyone.

Thanks,
Shawn

etwman
02-10-2011, 08:08 AM
I'm sure lunches will be another viable option to get together as well.

syzer
02-10-2011, 11:58 AM
Ditto with us on the VIP thing. Look forward to checking everyone out. On the plane now.

etwman
02-12-2011, 10:04 PM
I'm sure there will be other posts on this, and I'll put up some pics soon. I've been to alot of green industry conferences in my lifetime but I will tell you hands down this one surpassed every one of them by a mile. Marty, Joe, and others did a phenominal job. If you missed this, you missed something BIG! Let me ask you this. When was the last time you attended a 3 day business conference and never once looked at your watch. That 72 hours went by in a flash.

It was awesome to spend some great time with everyone, dinners, networking, etc. Together we'll all grow our businesses to be the very best they can be. Excited for 2011!

ohiogreenworks
02-12-2011, 10:42 PM
Wish we could have gone or even just met up with some of you guys. Thanks for the invite Jarod, I hope dayton treated ya well! Had some prior plans and just couldn't get it to work out, maybe next year! Hope you all had safe trips, look forward to seeing what comes from you all in 2011!

Todd

EagleLandscape
02-13-2011, 09:05 AM
Jarod, you said it perfectly. WOW WOW WOW.

Best investment, and some of the best fun I've had in a long time. Grow 2011 through www.martygrunder.com was definitely one of the best investments my team and I could have made for this year. Everyone else out there that missed it.... your loss- but come in 2012!

RhinoL&L
02-13-2011, 09:56 AM
Jarod and John are completely right. This is hands down the most effective and educational conference I have ever attended. I can confidently say the things I picked up at GROW, are hard if not impossible to find anywhere else!

Jarod, thanks for turning me on to Marty and the GROW event. You were right about it being such a great event with the greatest people.

Shawn

etwman
02-13-2011, 02:15 PM
It was great to meet you Shawn.

Couple pics.

Marty and I in #1
Todd Thomasson, me and John Wingfield in #2
Overall view of the conference in #3
James Gilliland and Todd in #4
Marty speaking in #5
John being interviewed by Marty in #6.

Once again the conference was off the chart!

etwman
02-13-2011, 02:21 PM
Here's the last one with John being interviewed by Marty.

Several others I got a chance to meet from here and network with. Some of whom I went out to dinner with. Great bunch of guys, we'll do it again. And I will tell you the guys below are the up and comers. You watch!

Chris Pasko (syzer)
Alex Kooima (Iowa)
Trey Giraldi
Shawn (Rhino L&L)

iowa
02-13-2011, 10:45 PM
What a great time with everyone. Jarod, John, I hope we get the chance to get together again sometime.

What an invaluable investment. The first 5 minutes into the whole thing I was locked in. It's like Jarod said, if you looked at your watch at all during this (or fell asleep), you need to reconsider being in business. Most of the thoughts and ideas are such easy things that most business overlook. I'm not going to get into details, but it's as simple as being disciplined and implementing them that will take you and your business to the next level.

Grow has got me more excited for spring than I have been in a few years, and am definitely looking forward to going in 2012 already.

P.Services
02-13-2011, 10:51 PM
what did it cost you guys?

etwman
02-13-2011, 10:59 PM
It's about $550 a person for the conference, plus hotel and food. If you go, and don't think its worth that, then there's something seriously wrong with you.

The other funny thing to add to Iowa's comment. If you are sitting there, having consumed four cups of coffee, and won't get up to run to the bathroom because you are afraid you'll miss something important......its a good conference.

P.Services
02-13-2011, 11:07 PM
is it always in the same town?

im sure i could go to his website and figure this out

etwman
02-13-2011, 11:09 PM
Yes, always in Dayton.

Gold Star Lawns
02-14-2011, 02:34 PM
I believe it has probably been about a month. Curious to this new division that you're launching? I sure I'm speaking for a few others as well.

syzer
02-14-2011, 06:26 PM
It was a fantastic time. Much better than I had thought. It was great networking with the guys there and meeting some of you guys (Jarod, Shawn, Todd). I believe it was Joe Calloway who summed it up the best "It's like trying to get a drink from a fire hose" in regards to the incredible amount of information being shot at you from all directions.

Great event, I will be there again next year.
Posted via Mobile Device

syzer
02-14-2011, 06:27 PM
BTW Tony, you missed it man =). Get there next year you would have genuinely loved it. I met another one of Dickrans clients there and we had some great conversations.
Posted via Mobile Device

AEL
02-23-2011, 12:30 PM
Wow just read this whole thread. Im not going to say like others that you are "lucky" to have grown your business to what it currently is. I will say that your hard work, dedication, and constant planning and adjusting of those plans is paying off. Thank you for sharing your projects, and your words of wisdom. What you have created is an inspiration for myself to continue growing my business. I hope 2011 is a tremendous year for you.

Sean
Total Site Solutions

etwman
02-23-2011, 09:13 PM
Unveiled today to our existing clients. A comprehensive, well thought out division, to care for our high end clients. This program will only be available to those who do a build project with us and covers over 40 different items. We will not be soliticting anyone who is not a prior client of ours. If you want this care, you have to do a build project with us. I won't go into exactly what they all are, but will set it sets us apart from the competition.

The name was voted on by our staff and some outside sources, the division leader is hired, and we're moving forward with excitment from our clients.

deere615
02-23-2011, 09:40 PM
Wow very interesting and really seems great for clients. So will this be like lawn mowing, tree and shrub maintenance etc? or do you not want to go into that?

etwman
02-23-2011, 09:44 PM
I'm not really going to get into what all this division entails, but I will say we've followed our clients wishes and heard their requests. It will fit us very well.

I did share details of it with John, Todd, and a few others in Dayton earlier this month and they agreed we were on the right path.

TriCityLawnCareLLC
02-23-2011, 11:24 PM
ETW- Very awesome (new division) . I'm reading "Becoming a Category of One" , you're doing what it says, you're not becoming complacent/fat and happy, you're continuing to grow, expand and truly are making yourself a category of one. Well, I hope that it works out awesome for you, and i want to see some pics when things get rolling. Take Care.

etwman
02-24-2011, 10:49 AM
With any new division or business venture it will take time, patience, and the right moves. I'm not expecting a blockbuster year with this new division. We've set some sales goals for it and it will grow slowly.

We started hard in maintenace 10 years ago, strayed from it into design/build, then higher end design/build. Our weak link over the past 3-4 years became the lack of post follow up with our projects. Our clients would say, "you've build this phenominal backyard for us, honored warranties, but we just don't know how to maintain it." "Billy", the local landscaper, would be hired to remulch, hack the shrubs, etc. and the place would become a mess. After hearing a handful of our clients request something like this from us, we decided to relook at it. Design/build is our passion, I'm not going to negate that, but we have to take care of our existing clients. They know our repuation, and know that when we do launch this, it will be a program that will be right. You have to delicately give your clients what they want, while maintaining growth and profitability. Its a dancing game, and you have to make the right moves.

Marty was a huge asset is pushing me this direction (though I was hesitant) and aiding in the development in this division. We can't launch a division, with our repuation, throw it against the wall and see what sticks. We have to hit it hard, right, and deliver the first go around.

grassman177
02-24-2011, 12:19 PM
very nice,

maintenance can be great money, but requires the right tools and a very knowledgable staff.

chemical maintenance of shrubs and beds is a big one for us, if you werent already looking into that as part of your program

deere615
02-24-2011, 07:10 PM
Ok well can you answer this, why wouldn't you send a letter to some of your recent high end designs/build jobs that you completed saying that you are now offer maintenance if they are interested to contact you?

etwman
02-24-2011, 07:14 PM
Alright, did you seriously think we fell off the stupid cart?

deere615
02-24-2011, 07:25 PM
Alright, did you seriously think we fell off the stupid cart?

Ok wait sorry I didnt mean to offend you but in your previous post you said "We will not be soliciting anyone who is not a prior client of ours" and I read it wrong I thought I thought it said anyone who was a prior client, double negative confused me sorry.

etwman
02-24-2011, 07:27 PM
I'm just yanking your chain. Let me redefine it this way, this should be simple enough. If your name isn't in our database of clients, present or past, you won't be eligable to be on this program. Now if you want to be on the program, you'll have to do a build project with us. Better?

deere615
02-24-2011, 07:47 PM
I'm just yanking your chain. Let me redefine it this way, this should be simple enough. If your name isn't in our database of clients, present or past, you won't be eligable to be on this program. Now if you want to be on the program, you'll have to do a build project with us. Better?

Got it and I don't blame you for doing it that way either!

brian1425
02-24-2011, 11:54 PM
ETW - I believe in previous posts you stated that you believed a company should not offer multiple divisions or services. What has caused the change? The conversations of mulitple divisions vs a business focused on one service has always been intriguing. I have always believed in one business without divisions.

tthomass
02-25-2011, 01:00 AM
ETW - I believe in previous posts you stated that you believed a company should not offer multiple divisions or services. What has caused the change? The conversations of mulitple divisions vs a business focused on one service has always been intriguing. I have always believed in one business without divisions.

I'm bored, here you go:

"We started hard in maintenace 10 years ago, strayed from it into design/build, then higher end design/build. Our weak link over the past 3-4 years became the lack of post follow up with our projects. Our clients would say, "you've build this phenominal backyard for us, honored warranties, but we just don't know how to maintain it." "Billy", the local landscaper, would be hired to remulch, hack the shrubs, etc. and the place would become a mess. After hearing a handful of our clients request something like this from us, we decided to relook at it. Design/build is our passion, I'm not going to negate that, but we have to take care of our existing clients. They know our repuation, and know that when we do launch this, it will be a program that will be right. You have to delicately give your clients what they want, while maintaining growth and profitability. Its a dancing game, and you have to make the right moves."

etwman
02-25-2011, 08:50 AM
Brian does have a viable question so let me try and give my opinion on it. I think its one thing to start a new division that incorporates high tree pruning, deck building, irrigation, carpeting, milking cows, and taking kids to school. I have some of those kind of ideas on a side board that has always intriqued me but feel it would derail our focus. As you know we're not a huge company and spreading yourself too thin, not being able to pay for knowledgeable employees, and buying tons of equipment is dangerous. This is where I see other small companies out there that do 100 different things and I say to myself "no way."

Then there is our new GROW division. Basically Brian its services we already have done in the past or are even currently doing on our new builds. Yes we've added some cool unique things to it, but they are simple things that the clients want. What we've done is put them all in a melting pot and presented it to our clients and have gotten rave feedback. We don't really have to buy tons of equipment, we already know the properties, and we have someone with a hort background to head it up. It's not what I would say is a "rocket science" division or something that will derail our focus. It'll be a good solid mesh with what we already do, making us a much more appealing company to our clients.

etwman
02-25-2011, 08:55 AM
At the conference Joe Calloway autograph my book and wrote a few sentences in it, which mind you is all marked up with ideas and notes. That was pretty cool. That is a book that I'll go back and read again probabaly once every year or two and gain more insight from it. You can never stop learning from something like that. Joe is an icon.

ETW- Very awesome (new division) . I'm reading "Becoming a Category of One" , you're doing what it says, you're not becoming complacent/fat and happy, you're continuing to grow, expand and truly are making yourself a category of one. Well, I hope that it works out awesome for you, and i want to see some pics when things get rolling. Take Care.

Lefet
02-25-2011, 09:02 AM
Subscribing. Haven't read the whole thread, but I've seen "etwman" posted around and believe there is some good information here.
Besides, a sense of humor is always good!

Brian does have a viable question so let me try and give my opinion on it. I think its one thing to start a new division that incorporates high tree pruning, deck building, irrigation, carpeting, milking cows, and taking kids to school. I have some of those kind of ideas on a side board that has always intriqued me but feel it would derail our focus. As you know we're not a huge company and spreading yourself too thin, not being able to pay for knowledgeable employees, and buying tons of equipment is dangerous. This is where I see other small companies out there that do 100 different things and I say to myself "no way."

brian1425
02-25-2011, 09:44 AM
Yes, it will mesh very well with what you are currently offering, plus protects your clients and yourself. I believe that it will work out great for you.

Here is where I totally agree with you. "Only offered to previous or new clients." My problem with multiple divisions is any time spent on one side of the business could have been spent building the other side. You lose focus. Your new division is a product of your hardscape side, so you still focus all of your energy on becoming better & growing the hardscape.

syzer
02-25-2011, 11:57 AM
Unveiled today to our existing clients. A comprehensive, well thought out division, to care for our high end clients. This program will only be available to those who do a build project with us and covers over 40 different items. We will not be soliticting anyone who is not a prior client of ours. If you want this care, you have to do a build project with us. I won't go into exactly what they all are, but will set it sets us apart from the competition.

The name was voted on by our staff and some outside sources, the division leader is hired, and we're moving forward with excitment from our clients.

Congrats Jarod, it will do well! I love the name too! Look forward to hearing/seeing how it progresses!

BShaffer
02-25-2011, 10:43 PM
etwman,

Just finally finished reading the whole thing. Took a week! Unless I missed it, who wrote your mission statement? Employees? U?

etwman
02-26-2011, 09:15 AM
I wrote the missions statement.

etwman
02-26-2011, 09:27 AM
I have another side story in which I will post pictures later this week. If weather permits we are going to begin construction of a courtyard patio that is landlocked. The only way in for the 65 tons of stone and 60k lbs of wall block and pavers is via 60 ton crane. Everything is set to go. If ever there is a prime example of why you NEVER price hardscape work by the square foot this would take the cake.

kreft
02-26-2011, 01:16 PM
If you dont price it by the square foot how are you pricing it?

SDelPrete
02-26-2011, 01:26 PM
If you dont price it by the square foot how are you pricing it?

I would think part of his quote might have in included some square footage but I think he is saying if you solely do bids on sq. ft. you would get killed on that job being you cant get the pages to the area with out the massive crane. So the companies that advertise "as low as $x.xx sq. ft." would get the call and come up with a price on the phone then they get to the job and go "****"

However I could be wrong on his message. :walking:

-Steve

etwman
02-26-2011, 01:34 PM
I'm sure I talk about it somewhere in this thread but I'm not going to dig for it. Never ever ever, and I can't emphasize that enough, price jobs per sf. So much depends on access and many other elements of the job. They beat this to death over in the hardscape section and other professionals will agree with it 100%. You have to know overhead, time it'll take to build it, material costs, cuts, levels of patio, and lots of other stuff. Go take an ICPI course. Guys that say they can install pavers at $ x/sf should be shot. If I held someone to the infamous $9/sf on this job we are about to do they'd lose their shirt, truck, skid loader, and wallet before they were done with it.

I'll leave it at that.

SDelPrete
02-26-2011, 01:43 PM
I'm sure I talk about it somewhere in this thread but I'm not going to dig for it. Never ever ever, and I can't emphasize that enough, price jobs per sf. So much depends on access and many other elements of the job. They beat this to death over in the hardscape section and other professionals will agree with it 100%. You have to know overhead, time it'll take to build it, material costs, cuts, levels of patio, and lots of other stuff. Go take an ICPI course. Guys that say they can install pavers at $ x/sf should be shot. If I held someone to the infamous $9/sf on this job we are about to do they'd lose their shirt, truck, skid loader, and wallet before they were done with it.

I'll leave it at that.

you seem to explain it better then myself haha. Anyway I'll add that I've read through your thread many times and other post. You are very knowledgeable and I learned a lot from you. I would love to come check out your office/shop one day as I don't think you are all that far from me over here in Jersey. Your work is outstanding and I'm constantly impressed with the work you and your teams put out. Well done.

-Steve

kreft
02-26-2011, 03:13 PM
I would also love to make a trip up from maryland and chat with you.

etwman
02-26-2011, 04:18 PM
I should give some more thought to something within the year. I get approached about this type of thing quite often (both in threads and PM's), and while I'd like to spend time having others come to our facility, it takes time.

I'll chew on this a little more, maybe approach Marty Grunder about coming and speaking for a portion of the day as part of it. If you've never heard Marty speak that would be worth the trip alone. He's a wealth of knowledge. I'll see what I can do.

SDelPrete
02-26-2011, 04:29 PM
I should give some more thought to something within the year. I get approached about this type of thing quite often (both in threads and PM's), and while I'd like to spend time having others come to our facility, it takes time.

I'll chew on this a little more, maybe approach Marty Grunder about coming and speaking for a portion of the day as part of it. If you've never heard Marty speak that would be worth the trip alone. He's a wealth of knowledge. I'll see what I can do.

I never have and didn't get to make it to GROW. I do plan to make it next year but if you are able to get him by that would make the day even better.

etwman
02-26-2011, 04:39 PM
If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it right, or not do it at all. That phrase shouldn't surprise too many of you. The only thing that would be a minor kicker is it would be limited to 100 people or so since I don't have the room for something big. However, seeing what GROW was like in Ohio, and other things that I have been too, there is something very unique and powerful with smaller groups. I'll chew on it for awhile.....and see how much interest there would be in something like this.

SDelPrete
02-26-2011, 04:47 PM
If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it right, or not do it at all. That phrase shouldn't surprise too many of you. The only thing that would be a minor kicker is it would be limited to 100 people or so since I don't have the room for something big. However, seeing what GROW was like in Ohio, and other things that I have been too, there is something very unique and powerful with smaller groups. I'll chew on it for awhile.....and see how much interest there would be in something like this.

that sounds great. However don't feel like you NEED to do it. Not saying you do but I know your a very busy person so if its to much to swing honestly it isn't that big of a deal. My initial thought was just to come out and check out the shop layout and what not for my future shop and just to bs with you bout business stuff and w.e.

EagleLandscape
02-26-2011, 10:49 PM
Jarod, I just booked flights for Julie and myself for the Sales & Marketing Symposium in March.

Will you be able to make it? I will provide the rental car this time.

etwman
02-27-2011, 08:55 AM
I don't know John, I have alot going on here. I'd like too, but we're ramping up this week and we have quite a bit sold that's going into production. It looks like a good day, I'll let you know.

Can't believe your taking poor Julie back to frigid Ohio two times in one month. Poor thing, she practically froze to death in February.

kreft
02-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Just let me know when. I just realized That your only a hour up the street from me.

GroundScapesIncorporated
03-02-2011, 12:32 AM
Jarod, Goodluck this year, Im excited to see progress and hear how your maintanence division works out.

I have followed this thread since its beginning, its been both interesting motivational.

I have heard you mention that you rarely visit your job sites and that your foreman can handle anything thrown at them. Just curoius what kind of training you do to get your foreman on the same page with you? How do you train a new employee on your way of doing things?

Thanks

etwman
03-02-2011, 08:50 AM
We reclassified our foreman as project managers this year. They truthfully aren't really foreman, so I'm not sure why I call them that. We have four of them.

I budget about $20k a year in training and development. We do everything from training in house with various speakers, go to conferences like GROW, we're implementing videos/testing in house after you've been here for 90 days, and a few other things. We can train fairly quickly on site as well. Most of our project managers are very skilled with what they do and are great teachers. The others come to us with some skill or can easily be trained. I've really grown to love the phrase "hire for attitude, train for skill." It's alot easier to train someone to your ways who really wants to learn and grow with your company long term, than to take someone set in their ways and tweak their attitude. I don't really want to go into all the ways we train, but I will tell you we've steered away from the MAHTS and other hardscape shows, doing more inhouse.

Sorry its not more detailed that this.

etwman
03-02-2011, 12:44 PM
Why you don't price projects per sf!

etwman
03-02-2011, 12:46 PM
Project is completely landlocked. Attached is the plan, 3 weeks for construction and a lot of legwork ahead of time.

SDelPrete
03-02-2011, 01:09 PM
looks like a very extensive job inside there. would love to see pictures when its done some weeks from now.

EagleLandscape
03-03-2011, 07:31 AM
Legit..............

Showpropserv
03-03-2011, 10:17 AM
^^x2 is that just an office complex your at? Good teaser and yes we are going to have to grade you

jreiff
03-03-2011, 05:40 PM
Great thread! Love reading updates as they are posted. Any final pictures of the indoor display that you guys were building?

Jpeg lawn maintenance
03-03-2011, 08:17 PM
Hey turf Since your in PA i am trying to get all the info I can on this DOT situation I have a 3500 dump with a gvw of 12k and a trailer gvw at 7k do I need a DOt number ? all your stuff also looks amazing and your an inspiration to me . Thanks in advance Jeremy

etwman
03-03-2011, 08:39 PM
You're dealing with one of the most complicated law systems there ever was. It all comes down to who you talk to. I know we don't need them because we don't travel outside of a 100 mile or so radius of our shop. Someone in our company did the research so I'm just talking from what I hear. Check with a local notary or PENNDOT to make sure.

Jpeg lawn maintenance
03-03-2011, 08:46 PM
I am in the same spot as you. Seems as no one knows, I talk to a cop they said I need it I talk to someone else they say no Then call pa commercial vehicle number and they said if you are towing a combined weight of 17,000 pounds which would be truck trailer combo you need the DOT number. I am lost for what to do, Should I just get it or say heck with it. Who knows

etwman
03-03-2011, 08:51 PM
Truth be told, and its sounds funny, but the local notaries who do alot of truck registration seem to know the laws better than anyone else.

Jpeg lawn maintenance
03-03-2011, 08:57 PM
Truth be told, and its sounds funny, but the local notaries who do alot of truck registration seem to know the laws better than anyone else.

So maybe I should talk to a notary then ? I have a local notary I always use. They should outline this stuff for us if they want us to follow the laws !

lifetree
03-03-2011, 09:15 PM
This thread is so stupid ... after 8 years and 224 pages just let it die !!

theguynextdoor
03-03-2011, 11:34 PM

I have been following etwman's thread for a while. I've read his posts multiple times. This man has a lot of knowledge to share and an inspirational business operation. His pictures are awesome, his trucks are sweet, his jobs are remarkable, but his wisdom and business savy in this industry is priceless. If you really think this thread is stupid, you have no business being in business or you did not read any of his posts. :hammerhead:

Thank you, etw, for taking the time to post your thoughts and ideas.

Showpropserv
03-04-2011, 12:33 AM
I have been following etwman's thread for a while. I've read his posts multiple times. This man has a lot of knowledge to share and an inspirational business operation. His pictures are awesome, his trucks are sweet, his jobs are remarkable, but his wisdom and business savy in this industry is priceless. If you really think this thread is stupid, you have no business being in business or you did not read any of his posts. :hammerhead:

Thank you, etw, for taking the time to post your thoughts and ideas.

X2 if your not interested why even post:confused:

DaytonBioLawns
03-04-2011, 12:51 AM
X2 if your not interested why even post:confused:

I bet he doesn't know how to unsub. to threads and is pissed that we talk and actually read.....

prolly just lookin' fer purty pictures.

I like the pictures too, but am much more grateful for the insight that etw shares with us. He has a successful company, and seems to be a genuine person that is constantly looking to improve himself and those around him.

That is why we thank him for the 224+ page thread that has lasted the greater part of a decade. THAT is commitment. Don't go scaring him off fella! We appreciate him here at lawnsite.

Swampy
03-04-2011, 02:42 AM

You are on my Santa's naughty list bub.

deere615
03-04-2011, 07:52 PM
Guys he posts that in every long thread just ignore it

AppomattoxRiverLandscapes
03-07-2011, 04:39 PM
Etwman, I have been laboriously reading through every page of this thread and I concur with many others when I sum it all up with a big WOW!!! I have by no means finished this reading project, but I am coming along and I look forward to your continued very helpful words of council and more pictures! Take care and I hope I have the pleasure of meeting you sometime.

BTW, this is not actually my first post. It is my first post under my new business name. My old name was Daniel's Lawn Care . . . very unprofessional as you will probably agree.

poolboy
03-07-2011, 09:02 PM

This might be the dumbest thing ever posted on L.S. Etw's thread is one of the very few reasons I still visit this site.

etwman
03-09-2011, 12:07 PM
We have a tremendous amount of work on the board, under contract, and in the pipeline for this year. Could be another solid year as we'll push for our 11th straight growth year. Here are some more pics from taking hardscaping to new heights. Over 50 tons of material has gone in at this point.

PerfectEarth
03-09-2011, 12:24 PM
Awesome stuff! What type of business is that? Do you also need to get soil into that courtyard? Can't say I've ever had a "crane charge" ever worked into one of my estimates! One day...

etwman
03-09-2011, 12:31 PM
2nd batch of pictures.