PDA

View Full Version : Hedge Clippings

cutman2000
05-05-2012, 06:28 PM
I see some guys leaving the clippings after trimming hedges. What do you guys do?
I tried raking and picking them up. The blower was too strong and blew the mulch too.

Northern Woodsman
05-05-2012, 06:36 PM
Rake and remove them and even get on my hands and knees and pick up what the rake leaves behind. Always.

grandview (2006)
05-05-2012, 06:40 PM
Cleanup the bulk of them and add new mulch.

cutman2000
05-05-2012, 06:54 PM
Cleanup the bulk of them and add new mulch.
You charge them for the additional mulch?

grandview (2006)
05-05-2012, 06:59 PM
Most of the trimming jobs usually means new mulch to.Yes its extra.

cutman2000
05-05-2012, 07:11 PM
Most of the trimming jobs usually means new mulch to.Yes its extra.
Also, how often do you trim your client's hedges?

grandview (2006)
05-05-2012, 07:14 PM
Around here,it's once a year.

Patriot Services
05-05-2012, 07:22 PM
With most bushes getting trimmed once a month during growing season I invested in a Echp ES-255 on each trailer. It takes a little practice to get the trimmings and not the mulch. :usflag:

Florida Gardener
05-05-2012, 09:02 PM
With most bushes getting trimmed once a month during growing season I invested in a Echp ES-255 on each trailer. It takes a little practice to get the trimmings and not the mulch. :usflag:

I'm assuming that's a leaf vac. I have a Stihl and love it. Big time saver.
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
05-05-2012, 09:43 PM
I rake up any long/piled clippings first, then blow the rest out with a backpack blower. It helps to remove one or both of the extension tubes so you're not concentrating the air flow. It takes some practice but you can "tease" most of them out with this method by waving the wand from a bit of a distance. A shredder-vac, as previously mentioned, works too, but if the clippings are long stems it won't pick them up very well..works better for shorter/shredded stuff.

cutman2000
05-05-2012, 09:48 PM
I rake up any long/piled clippings first, then blow the rest out with a backpack blower. It helps to remove one or both of the extension tubes so you're not concentrating the air flow. It takes some practice but you can "tease" most of them out with this method by waving the wand from a bit of a distance. A shredder-vac, as previously mentioned, works too, but if the clippings are long stems it won't pick them up very well..works better for shorter/shredded stuff.
Remove extension tubes? Nice tip, thanks Darryl

Darryl G
05-05-2012, 10:04 PM
You're welcome. That way you can give it more throttle without blasting all the mulch out.

Get Some...
05-05-2012, 10:24 PM
Two 8x10 drop cloths.

jetta
05-07-2012, 09:33 AM
we blow them out with a blower and suck them up with a walker

Darryl G
05-07-2012, 12:22 PM
Two 8x10 drop cloths.

That is another way to do it but it can be a pain too...notice he said drop clothes (like you would use for painting or an old bed spread) rather than tarps...the typical tarp is too stiff and crinkly and hard to form around things. Just make sure you don't dump it while you're pulling it out, lol. I can't remember the last time i cut over a cloth other than cutting back ornamental grasses. Actully I use Cordura Nylon (1000 Denier, a.k.a pack cloth) tarps.

Get Some...
05-08-2012, 08:51 AM
That is another way to do it but it can be a pain too...notice he said drop clothes (like you would use for painting or an old bed spread) rather than tarps...the typical tarp is too stiff and crinkly and hard to form around things. Just make sure you don't dump it while you're pulling it out, lol. I can't remember the last time i cut over a cloth other than cutting back ornamental grasses. Actully I use Cordura Nylon (1000 Denier, a.k.a pack cloth) tarps.

This system works best for me with a helper.

There is virtually nothing to clean up, the two of us just drag the cloths to the next shrub.

:)

The Yard Dog
05-14-2012, 05:46 PM
Thats creative. Im gonna have to try that. You have your helper follow you drop cloth?

cgaengineer
05-14-2012, 09:35 PM
How would y'all do it in a 60 home community and a 150 unit townhome community?
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
05-14-2012, 09:46 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

A much bigger drop cloth.
Posted via Mobile Device

mpriester
05-14-2012, 09:58 PM
i use drop cloths as well only i went to the local goodwill and found 2 really big bed sheets.

Get Some...
05-15-2012, 08:06 AM
Thats creative. Im gonna have to try that. You have your helper follow you drop cloth?

No, I trim and he cleans the clippings from the plant.
We pick up what does not fall on the cloths and throw it on.

Each guy grabs one end and we move to the next shrub, then we move the second cloth.

It definately works well.

Get Some...
05-15-2012, 08:08 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

We just do what the cloths can catch and then move on to the next shrub/shrubs. :)

32vld
05-15-2012, 10:00 AM
I had a job last year, 2 shrubs side by side that were unbalanced and misshapen. This job required hand pruners so I just grabbed the end with of the offending branch with one hand and cut off with the other hand then toss right into a garbage can.

Then when I have pruning job with a large volume of debris I lay a tarp on the ground. Some pieces will miss the tarp so a little bit of raking still must be done.

Then yesterday I trimmed a Hew hedge. I weeded the bed first, hardly any weeds. It was a light trim just to remove new growth so the hedge fills out. So the trimmings were very small. Some 1", most 1/2" or less. I just let them fall onto the bed. They will turn brown in a week. Help form a mulch. Puts nutrients back into the soil.

POWER STROKE
05-19-2012, 10:47 PM
I also use a tarp for the trimming droppings but I cut a slit in the middle of the tarp so it slides around the the bush. A lot easier and saves time.

wegomow
05-23-2012, 04:30 PM
Old king size bed sheets work really well.

Darryl G
05-23-2012, 09:56 PM
Old king size bed sheets work really well.

Would new ones work? Our bed is only queen size, so we don't have any old king size ones. :laugh:

cgaengineer
05-23-2012, 09:59 PM
Would new ones work? Our bed is only queen size, so we don't have any old king size ones. :laugh:

I couldn't sleep on anything smaller than a king size bed...and for as much as I have paid for the 800 thread count sheets I'll be damned if I'm gonna use them to catch hedge clippings...when I get rid of them they will be too thin to hold anything without tearing!
Posted via Mobile Device

wegomow
05-24-2012, 08:45 PM

Yeah, you can use new ones, just get the pretty floral ones. I mean you want to make a statement while working out in the public eye, don't you? :)

nortonlawncare
05-24-2012, 10:06 PM
I use an old sheet and cut a ling to the middle and put it under the bush around the base trim and pull it out, no mess
Posted via Mobile Device