PDA

View Full Version : Need Help

TYSON HARTLEY
12-20-2002, 11:57 PM
WELL MY FELLOW LAWNCARE BUDDIES I GOT A PROB I'VE BEEN TRYING TO START A LAWNCARE BUSINESS FROM MY HOME AND ZONING TOLD ME THAT IT WAS IMPOSIBLE I WOULD HAVE TO DO THAT FROM A COMMERICALLY ZONED AREA CANT BE DONE FROM YOUR HOME. NOW HOW CAN I START A BUSINESS FROM A COMMERICAL AREA WITH NO CLIENTS I MEAN IM JUST STARTING OUT NEED MONEY. THERE SAYING I HAVE TO HAVE A PLACE TO STORE MY EQUIPMENT MY GARAGE IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH IM TALKING TWO LAWN MOWERS, TWO EDGERS, TWO BLOWERS AND THE LITTLE STUFF BUT I STILL CANT DO IT.THEY SAID WHERE EVER I STORE MY EQUIPMENT THATS WHERE THE BUSINESS HAS TO BE RAN FROM. NOW I WANT TO DO THIS THE LEGAL WAY LICENSES AND THING OF THAT SORT BUT ZONING MAKES THE FINAL DECISION TO MY UNDERSTANDING THEY CAN DENY OR APPROVE YOU. NOW HOW CAN I DO THIS AND STILL MAKE MONEY ANY SUGGESTIONS. I CANT JUST RENT A STORAGE AREA BECAUSE I CANT RUN MY BUSINESS FROM A STORAGE AREA.

:angry:

TYSON HARTLEY
12-20-2002, 11:59 PM
I MEAN I STILL CANT DO IT

Doogiegh
12-21-2002, 12:41 AM
Rent a storage unit.

It'll be a monthly bill, but you can park all of your equipment in there and I wonder if anyone would be any the wiser.

cajuncutter
12-21-2002, 12:53 AM
Call me hard headed and stuborn but um do you use this equipment to take care of your own lawn? Well if you do then by god you can have it there. Now they may have laws that could prevent you having a "comercial" type vehicle at your house such as signs plastered all over your truck. I often wonder if that can prevent the little guy such as your self to have a company vehicle at your home, why is it other people who are supplied with a company vehicle park it at their homes? Kind of like the fellow who works for the local power company that drives his crown vic with SWEPCO plastered on the side of his car. I have never run into this problem but I have heard of other people from other parts of the country that have. If it happened here then by damn if I can not have mine at home then no one else will either. The simple solution would be to get magnetic signs and put them on your truck after you leave the house and take them off around the corner before you get back. Good luck!!!

HarryD
12-21-2002, 01:32 AM
I say if you dont live in a neighborhood that has rules or some kind of covenants and your friends with your neighbors by all means park your goods at your home I do . if your stuff is in your garage and out of sight then who cares I dont . its not like your painting cars in your driveway if you were doing that then I would turn you in

nlminc
12-21-2002, 01:43 AM
Not sure about your zoning laws, but I seriously doubt they can prevent you from storing your equipment in the garage. They will need a search warrant to see if its there! Use a magnetic sign for your truck like others have mentioned. If all else fails buy a small enclosed trailer, load the mowers and pay to store it outside at one of those self storage properties. They are usually fenced and have some kind of security measures. I got a price for storing an 8x20 enclosed at 2 places..one wanted $44.00/month and the other $75.00/month...thats cheap money.

TYSON HARTLEY
12-21-2002, 02:01 AM
Basically Zoning Is telling me I cant get Licensed to Run this business from my home.

nlminc
12-21-2002, 02:16 AM
Tyson, Go to your post office and get a PO box # ...Thats the new address for your business. You shouldn't have to tell them where you keep your equipment. Better off having a PO box just for the business, keeps your personal stuff seperate and when your checks come in, you won't have to look all over the house for them....my brother used to get the mail and lose it on me when I first went into business about 13 years ago...that's how I decided on the po box!

cajuncutter
12-21-2002, 09:18 AM
I agree with Nlminc. If they just insist on knowing where your business is just tell them your office is your truck, you never know what the exact address will be

:D

bobbygedd
12-21-2002, 10:51 AM
dude, i had the same exact problem, fought it, and won! here is the way i went about it: they came to my home, and said city ordinance number xyz....states that in this borough u can not operate a business from your home, u have 30 days to get the stuff out. i asked for a copy of the ordinance, he said i needed to go to his "office " and request one, so here is what i did : i drove down and asked the secratary for a copy of the ordinance that says i cant run the biz from my home, she gave it to me. i said, well while im here, can i please have a copy of the ordinance that states a person can not bring thier tools home from work. she said huh? there is no such ordinance, i said, really? ok. well, i stopped business mail from coming to my home, i got a post office box in the post office located in the next town. i then changed the mailing address of the biz to that box. i then called the phone company, and told them this line is no longer a business line, its a personal line. i presented my case to the board, in this manner: what does it mean to run a business from my home? well, are there customers at my home? no. am i selling anything from my home? no. do customers call my home? no. do i recieve business mail at my home? no. is the businesses mailing address the same as my home? no. is there any business whatsoever conducted from my home, or even near it? no. well sir, how can i possibly be running a business from my home if none of the above conditions exsist? my trailer, is my toolbox, i transport my tool box to my place of business(which is my customers property). joe shmo down the street brings home his toolbox every night(mechanic), the other guy brings home his toolbox every night(briefcase), and so on, and so on. if i cant bring my tools home, i will sign a complaint against every person in this borough who carries something to and from work every day. well, i won, and today i have 5 walkbehinds, 2 edgers, 4 blowers, trimmers, u name it, all in my garage. screw em, i hope u win

Bunton Guy
12-21-2002, 08:59 PM
Store all of your equipment in your garage. When getting liscensed tell them this is your home and your office address...if they ask if this is where your equipment is stored tell them no at a local storage unit. There is no way they will check this out. Your creating a headache for yourself I have gone through the same thing but nobody every follows what they say. Create your own groove and go for it.

Jusmowin
12-21-2002, 09:20 PM
BOBBYGEDD, Your the MAN ! That is the best answer I think anyone can give Tyson Hartley . But thats just my 2 cents worth.

nlminc
12-21-2002, 10:27 PM
I had trouble in my former town. They have bylaws stating how many trucks you can have on the property...and limits on certain GVW trucks. I had 3 F350's (1 dump,11000gvw) and 2 Enclosed trailers. Didn't matter if they were lettered or not. In the end after 1.5 years of battling the town hall I was granted permission to build a 4 gar garage. I could keep everything in there and only keep one truck out at night. I decided to sell the business and move. I just didn't feel like living in this town anymore. To much A@# kissing going on. By the way....I lived on 3 acres in the woods! One of my neighbors complained. I stopped letting him borrow my trucks and tools one day (getting walked on) and thats what I got in return.

In your case if you store your equipment inside overnight you should be fine legally. Have a lawyer send them a letter that will shut them up!

bobbygedd
12-22-2002, 10:02 AM
thats right boy, u can slow me down, but u cant stop me. im always the last man standing

Albemarle Lawn
12-22-2002, 07:26 PM
at the next town hall meeting.

That should shut them up by virtue of being vaporized.:angry:

Vapors can't speak.

Although beans lead to loud vapors.