PDA

View Full Version : Hows everyone doing so far this season???

thelawnguy
08-12-2000, 09:47 PM
I just realized, the Dog Days of summer ended yesterday aug 11, we have lost an hour and 20 minutes of daylight since June 21, and here in the northeast we will be lucky if we have another 13 weeks of mowing left.

So far this year I have made as much mowing as I made thru October of last year-thanks in part to the rain, and raising my prices last spring on the suggestion of some of you here at the forum. My overall expenses are down also, even though my fuel expense has doubled over last yer-to-date.

Hows the rest of you doing?

gene gls
08-12-2000, 09:55 PM
I havn't decided yet which is worse,no rain or toooo much rain.I am about even with last year $$$ wise, but way behind on trimming and mulch.It looks like I will be skipping some of the fill in jobs that I normally fit in.

Charles
08-13-2000, 09:48 AM
BILL, I am now on my way to catching up with what i made last year at this point in the season. The drought last year started around august and this year in may. The rains came back around mid july. So I turned on the juice to make up for lost time. Only had about 3 weeks of almost complete downtime this year. By september I should be in good shape. For what looked like a sure disastorous year.

greenlawncare
08-13-2000, 10:08 AM
despite some drought in the very early part of the spring, things have picked up and business is great. Keep thinking of how I want to do things different next year. Trim off the fat, get into new service, bite the bullet and expand.

Richard Martin
08-13-2000, 10:09 AM
I am doing great! :-) I will bypass last years total money this week. I could use a bit of a break though.

dhicks
08-13-2000, 11:38 AM
I went into the business this year as a part-time thing and to build my business for next year for when I retire from my primary source of income.

When I first began, I believed that I would take it slow and not work myself to death trying to maintain two jobs. I had no idea of the DEMAND for landscape maintenance in our area.

While I wanted to stay busy but not over worked my plans fell short. Iím at the point where I am starting to turn away customers. I hope the past is prologue (you aint seen nothing yet) in my case. This has been a wonderful first year!

TGCummings
08-13-2000, 12:19 PM
Good year so far, but I'm in the middle of planned restructuring due in part to the knowledge gleaned on these Boards. The days will grow shorter, and the lawns will slow down soon, but the season on the West Coast never ends... ;)

-TGC

cutntrim
08-13-2000, 12:36 PM
We're hanging in there. We'll likely do 85% of the business we did last season with only 50% (at most) of the manpower. My partner and I represent 1/2 of our total workforce right now and in a couple of weeks we'll account for 2/3's. Needless to say we're going pretty hard this season. Hell, I've lost 20lbs and have to force myself to go to the gym 3x/wk. Some weeks (like last week) I don't make it there at all. Can't wait for the snow to fly...plowin' sure beats cuttin'.

Toroguy
08-13-2000, 12:39 PM
Sales up 60% over last season. Equipment upgrades and expenses are up the same. Project 33% sales growth next season, with no equipment needs in the forecast. Might make it to Tuscon for the winter of 2001-2002.

Davis TLC
08-13-2000, 05:21 PM
Lost a couple this year, but replaced them with better accounts. Was starting to get concerned due to the dry spell we had in July, less than 1\" of rain all month here. 1st of August gave us some badly needed rain and the grass is growing again, hurray. Looking better than last year so far. :D

[Edited by Davis TLC on 08-13-2000 at 09:38 PM]

Barkleymut
08-13-2000, 08:59 PM
I picked up a great commercial account and several good commercials. Dropped about 5 residential losers. Making about 40% more with about the same expenses. We had terrible heat/drought the past 2 years but this year has been perfect. I think 17 days was the longest without rainfall and the temps have been under 90 almost all year. Now if I could pick up one more really nice commercial job and junk a couple more residentials I would really be smilin. I\'m thinking about taking out an add in the Yellow Pages for next year and only advertising for commercial work. I would need an employee if I took on anything additional but I am ready to take the next step. Then again I don\'t want anymore headaches. Who knows what tomorrow holds?

jaclawn
08-14-2000, 06:04 AM
WE are having record days here this month. It has not slowed down since March 15. Even the non fertilized, non irrigated lawns are still needing cut every 7 days. In the middle of Aug, we had a record day, both in terms of hours, and dollars. In April or May, I could believe, but not the middle of Aug.

Bottom line is, sales have increased this season, and overall expenses have held steady. That is a good thing.

BTW- with the fuel prices being 50% higher than last year, I actually spent less on fuel this year by consilidating the route, and tighter scheduling.

MOW ED
08-14-2000, 05:54 PM
This has been my best year yet all around. Profits are up. Customer base is stable. I learned a ton from this site and the weather could not be any better for my area.
I am mowing grass that looks like spring growth.
I'm expanding services.

And I met Eric ELM for breakfast last week. Someday I'm gonna have a Chopper too. Good Luck.