PDA

View Full Version : Working in Heavy Rains

landscapetastic
05-09-2012, 02:11 PM
Hi,

Do any of you work in the heavy rains?. Well I was suppose to clear out
a customers backyard of ivy , fallen down trees, etc on this friday. But today the customer calls today and say well I want the work done today (Wednesday). And it is heavy raining today. And falling branches coming down left and right. I said that in the rain I can't do a quailty job,and I will make more of a mess in your yard then if waited just 2 days. And also she was NOT scheduled for today anyway. Her response was "Well you are going to have to work between the rain drops". I left her message reasuring her that the will be completed by Saturday. How would anyone else handle this? Do I work in the heavy rains?

Florida Gardener
05-09-2012, 04:52 PM
Hi,

Do any of you work in the heavy rains?. Well I was suppose to clear out
a customers backyard of ivy , fallen down trees, etc on this friday. But today the customer calls today and say well I want the work done today (Wednesday). And it is heavy raining today. And falling branches coming down left and right. I said that in the rain I can't do a quailty job,and I will make more of a mess in your yard then if waited just 2 days. And also she was NOT scheduled for today anyway. Her response was "Well you are going to have to work between the rain drops". I left her message reasuring her that the will be completed by Saturday. How would anyone else handle this? Do I work in the heavy rains?
You did the right thing and anyone who expects someone to work in heavy rains, well, there's the door. Light rain I have no problem, but not a downpour. It will take you longer as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

gcbailey
05-09-2012, 06:07 PM
*if* you did work in heavy rains I would definitely get a signed disclaimer that you are not liable for any mess that is made due to the rain, and that said mess would be a separate billable charge for any repairs. That has always changed peoples minds in my area.

Patriot Services
05-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Rain or not I don't let customers dictate my schedule, especially after we already agreed on a date.
Posted via Mobile Device

cpllawncare
05-09-2012, 08:28 PM
I had a customer back out of a mulch job I had scheduled today cause I refused to work in the rain, it happens. I don't let the customer dictate to me when I work, I'm in charge of scheduling period.

cpllawncare
05-09-2012, 08:36 PM
I like the disclaimer statement for weather I am going to put that in my service agreements, I can't believe people actually expect you to work in the pouring rain! Unbelievable!!!!

Dr.NewEarth
05-09-2012, 09:23 PM
We work in the pouring rain here all of the time. Get a good rain suit and boots.

cpllawncare
05-09-2012, 10:02 PM
We work in the pouring rain here all of the time. Get a good rain suit and boots.

Sorry, I'm not rutting up my clients yards! Mulching in the rain is one thing but cutting is a no no in my book.

OneLineAtATime
05-10-2012, 12:01 AM
we mow & mulch in the rain. In your case i would have told the customer no way

JB1
05-10-2012, 12:06 AM
if I do anything in a heavy rain it will be for some really serious dollars.

Northern Woodsman
05-10-2012, 07:59 AM
I used to work for a very large landscaping company and we did everything from hardscapes to lawn maintenance. We would work in light rain but in a heavy downpour, no way.

I worked in some steady rain earlier in the week removing some very invasive ground cover. Lots of cutting and digging to get it removed and the remaining shaped up. I had already started it before the rain started and wanted to get it finished because I don't like to leave jobs half done. What a mess! Working in the rain was bad enough but my boots were full of mud and with each wheelbarrow full of this stuff I tracked mud all over the driveway, sidewalk and down the street to my truck. I made sure to stay out of the grass as I had just cut it and knew what it would look like with me trampling over it with muddy boots and a heavy wheelbarrow.

I spent a lot of time cleaning up my mess in the rain and had to clean the driveway, street and sidewalk. Not fun and no way to leave it.

Anyway, you did the right thing. Some jobs are okay when it's raining, but a heavy downpour is way too extreme for any customer demand that you work in it. All of mine are very understanding with all the rain this season but are itching to get things done. It's going to be a very busy next 3 days!

SSmith
05-11-2012, 07:43 AM
Landscaping in light rain is acceptable. Mowing in any sort or rain is trashy. It makes you look like a blow n go speed mowing hack. I cannot stand those companies who do that crap.

Snow plowing in rain is a blast, though. Who hasn't tried to do a 720 on a big icy lot when out plowing at 2 am?

Coffeecraver
05-12-2012, 12:41 PM
As an City Arborist I have worked many times in the rain due to storms and the need to open the roadways. As a Landscape Contractor I have never seen a time it was well worth while working in a heavy rain.:)

Kartanimal29
05-14-2012, 01:04 AM
Sorry, I'm not rutting up my clients yards! Mulching in the rain is one thing but cutting is a no no in my book.

I never mulch in the rain. Mulch should be allowed to sit and dry for at least day before it rains. Helps hold the color

CHRIS92789
05-14-2012, 12:48 PM
Kick the customer to the curb!

Glenn Lawn Care
05-14-2012, 03:22 PM
I do not and won't work in the rain. Especially cutting grass,all it does is makes a big mess and takes longer to clean it up so I prefer to not cut in the rain.

Patriot Services
05-14-2012, 06:47 PM
I never mulch in the rain. Mulch should be allowed to sit and dry for at least day before it rains. Helps hold the color

???? Doesn't mulch sit outside in great big piles where you come from?
Posted via Mobile Device

GMLC
05-14-2012, 09:20 PM
Landscaping in light rain is acceptable. Mowing in any sort or rain is trashy. It makes you look like a blow n go speed mowing hack. I cannot stand those companies who do that crap.

Snow plowing in rain is a blast, though. Who hasn't tried to do a 720 on a big icy lot when out plowing at 2 am?

Thats just like saying those who dont mow in the rain are part timers, weekend warriors or just do this as a hobby(amatuers that dont have the equipment or skill to mow in the rain).
Posted via Mobile Device

Grass887
05-28-2012, 09:45 PM
I see people work in the rain all the time around here. The ONLY time I work in the rain is when i'm in the middle of mowing a yard and it starts raining. I don't care what anyone says, it looks like chit when you cut in the rain, im not walking around with a blower breaking up every clump.
The rain will eventually stop, no point in looking like a moron in the rain.

I know I know....'but we'll get behind'. Guess your going to have to work a couple hours past 5pm one day or two.

Thats all.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
05-29-2012, 03:16 PM
???? Doesn't mulch sit outside in great big piles where you come from?
Posted via Mobile Device

Colored mulch should be allowed to air dry, once spread, for 24 to 72 hours for best color. The water based die will only dry when exposed to air. The colored mulch in the stock piles do get rain damge to the outer surface, but when mixed with the product below it blends in.

Tanum
06-05-2012, 08:47 PM
It rains a lot in Ireland, we just get on with it. There is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing.