PDA

View Full Version : A large cleaup job quote?

Florida's Suncoast Lawn Care
05-09-2012, 02:18 PM
Ok I'm going to post some photos of a job I'm supposed to bid today. What kind of prices do you guys think is good to keep the customer happy and myself happy? Throw me some numbers. We are in North Port Florida. I did a cleanup job the other day like this but about 1/10 of this amount. It took us 5 hours and we charged $500. They were happy. I was thinking about $5000 for this one. With debris removal and all.

He bought this Florida home for a winter getaway I would imagine. He owns a large service company up in NY with a beautiful larger home there probably worth about a half million. It sits on 3-4 acres. (Google Earth) :rolleyes:

They want it all hauled away, cleaned up, and mowed. We counted 31 palm trees. There is also about 30-35 feet of overgrowth on the lot from the adjacent lot.

Here is their email from the email I received:

1) As you face the house, the telephone pole to the right of the driveway, clean up the property line straight back to the canal, including the palm tree. Don't cut the palm just pull the vines off and dead palm fronds.
2) The shoreline along the canal, cut down all the underbrush and clean the palms up, not cut down.
3) There's a old dock laying on the bank of the canal. I'd like that dragged up out off there and hauled away.
4) There are 3 crepe myrtles in front of the house that need pruning, but leave the spanish moss.
5) As you face the house, there's another telephone pole to the left. That's the other boundary line going back to the canal. We'd like you to clean up that property line straight back to the canal, and toward the yard to the right. Don't cut any trees, just pull the vines off and dead palm fronds.
6) Finally, mow and bag up and haul away all the debris from your work.

Florida Gardener
05-09-2012, 02:33 PM
Post photos
Posted via Mobile Device

05-09-2012, 02:36 PM
Post photos
Posted via Mobile Device

:clapping:
I'm uploading them to Photo Bucket because they are like 8mb per file. Lawnsite only allows like 4mb files. Here is the link. It's uploading as I type. I didn't take a photo of the right side. It's just one foot over overgrowth of fire weed about one foot tall x 120 feet length of the yard. And one nasty mess of a palm. Century link DSL is crappy slow for uploading. By the way the back yard terminates into the canal and it looks like a large gator slide is obvious in the middle. CHOMP.

http://s856.photobucket.com/albums/ab129/megaviper/

Florida Gardener
05-09-2012, 05:33 PM
Just to trim the palms alone I would charge $45/tree. So right there your already at $1,395. Add in clean-up time and hauling just the palm debris lets say $1,800-2-K. Then you have to clean-up all the overgrowth which includes a lot of invasive vines and other crap....yea, I would say $5-K is good. I would throw out $5,200-5,400 and then come down to $5-K cause he might see if he can "get a deal." That way you get what you want and he thinks he's getting a bargain. I hope you have a good chainsaw.

Jobs like this can be very profitable b/c it's a lot of "hand-work," but you have to make sure you get the right amount of $$.....

05-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Just to trim the palms alone I would charge $45/tree. So right there your already at $1,395. Add in clean-up time and hauling just the palm debris lets say $1,800-2-K. Then you have to clean-up all the overgrowth which includes a lot of invasive vines and other crap....yea, I would say $5-K is good. I would throw out $5,200-5,400 and then come down to $5-K cause he might see if he can "get a deal." That way you get what you want and he thinks he's getting a bargain. I hope you have a good chainsaw.

Jobs like this can be very profitable b/c it's a lot of "hand-work," but you have to make sure you get the right amount of $$.....

Here was my quote. 31 Palm trees pruning of overgrowth & disposal of waste 31 x 50.00 1,550.00

Clean up & removal of the left side of 2nd lot approximately 30'x120'
overgrowth & disposal of waste
Clean up & removal of the right side of 1st lot approximately 1'x120'
& disposal of waste
Clean up of canal line area and old rotted dock approximately 3' x 129'
remaining of all 3 main components of both lots & disposal of waste
$4750 total. I email it to him already with Quickbooks. :clapping:

Thanks for the input. I'm hurting for work and need all I can get.

Florida Gardener
05-09-2012, 05:38 PM
Here was my quote. 31 Palm trees pruning of overgrowth & disposal of waste 31 x 50.00 1,550.00

Clean up & removal of the left side of 2nd lot approximately 30'x120'
overgrowth & disposal of waste
Clean up & removal of the right side of 1st lot approximately 1'x120'
& disposal of waste
Clean up of canal line area and old rotted dock approximately 3' x 129'
remaining of all 3 main components of both lots & disposal of waste
$4750 total. I email it to him already with Quickbooks. :clapping:

Thanks for the input. I'm hurting for work and need all I can get.

Good luck. I personally love these types of jobs b/c they are usually a nice one-time check and the people are wanting to get it done ASAP so they usually just go for the price you give them. I hope you get it.

jvanvliet
05-10-2012, 06:44 AM
Wear longsleeves and a collared shirt for that job and watch for snakes.

I think both your pricings are spot, on but you won't really know till you get into it.

Glad to see you are getting some work, I'd like to know how you made out after all is said and done.

mjlcare2
05-10-2012, 01:01 PM
What are you going to use for disposal method- that''s probably an easy 35+ cubic yards of debris.

05-10-2012, 11:46 PM
What are you going to use for disposal method- that''s probably an easy 35+ cubic yards of debris.

I was thinking of about 50 plastic trash cans. LOL... :confused:

Nah, I was thinking of taking it to the dump on a trailer at $40 a ton. (several loads) Or maybe getting a dumpster dropped off. (possibly emptied twice)..

He emailed me today. He's considering it still. He has other quotes coming in still. We were talking about the economy. he said his business is down in NY about 60%. He owns a plumbing company and heat and air.

mjlcare2
05-11-2012, 08:58 PM
You laugh at the 50 trash cans but that is the exact answer I was expecting you to say.. Try renting a dump trailer if you dont have one.. make your job so much easier

billslawn89
05-12-2012, 11:29 AM
megaviper..

this guy contacted me as well and I summited by bid as well, but I went a different approach. It will take you weeks to clear that property by chainsaws. I will bring a certain type of machine in to clear out all the underbrush and I was a little higher on the palm trimming cuz they are dirty. Did you spot the poision ivy growing? I talked to the guy from NY the other day, Burton. and he said he wanted to get things wrapped up when he is here. Good Luck

Florida Gardener
05-12-2012, 12:02 PM
megaviper..

this guy contacted me as well and I summited by bid as well, but I went a different approach. It will take you weeks to clear that property by chainsaws. I will bring a certain type of machine in to clear out all the underbrush and I was a little higher on the palm trimming cuz they are dirty. Did you spot the poision ivy growing? I talked to the guy from NY the other day, Burton. and he said he wanted to get things wrapped up when he is here. Good Luck
Isn't that funny...good luck to both of you
Posted via Mobile Device

05-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Isn't that funny...good luck to both of you
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes very funny stuff. This site is popular in SW Florida I guess. I don't think it would take more than 4-5 days max.

I explained to him that I was just a little guy building a lawn business up again. We just moved back down here after Hurricane Charley in 04. My wife hit a downed power line in Charley. We saw the housing prices here and sold our house up there to buy a house here with cash.

We have plenty of equipment to do the job. We did a smaller clean up about two weeks ago. It's just this one is larger. Just more work.

05-12-2012, 12:54 PM
megaviper..

Ya we saw it. Did you see what looked to be a possible old gator slide? CHOMP :dizzy:

Do you mind me asking what was your overall bid? I'm curious as to where I'm at on the bid. I'm fine either way if we get it or not. I'm just the little guy starting back up again. Prices don't seemed to have increased much since 2005. It's sick considering gas prices and equipment. Good luck.

I had a guy refuse to pay $65 a month for service and his yard was cleaned up with 2' tall fireweed and all. He of course let me mow for a month until I tried to collect. He's the only one that has ever wanted to pay at the end of the month too. I knew better. I told my wife before I mowed it the first time that he was going to stiff us. I never had a problem with customers paying in 2003-2005.

I grew up down here in the late 80s and 90s too with my older brother having a lawn service. So I have kind of stuck with that down here. And selling cars on the side.

billslawn89
05-12-2012, 01:13 PM
I am at 2200 for the cleanup with the machine, and 65 per tree/palm to cleanup. I figured a total of 2 days. I told Burt that it will be done in phases, first the cleanup so I can see how many trees/palms, then the cleaning of the trees and palms when he gets here. The vacant lot is too overgrown to get a correct count on trees, at least in my eyes, plus all the vines growing up the trees. After all said and done, I am pretty close if not more then you on price. Good Luck to you too! Are you in Bobcat trail? I thought I seen your trailer in there on Silver Palm Drive.

05-12-2012, 01:14 PM
By the way the guys name is Bob Gregory on Verona in case you run into him.

I think he is trying to get lawn guys to clean up and then never pay. He said his last lawn guy got into an argument with him. Gee I wonder why?

He sent me my invoice back in the mail and said he refused to pay the $65 a month. I told him $25 a cut or $65 a month. He chose the monthly. Figures so he could drag it out for a month. I'm considering small claims but it's hardly worth it. But it's just the point.

He said on the invoice "this is a luxury I cannot afford." and signed his name.

Funny he could afford it when he didn't pay up front though. ;)

I left him a professional but straight forward voice mail (because he won't answer his phone) stating that he owed me. And that lawn guys have one of the toughest jobs in Florida paying $4 a gallon for gas, burning up in the heat, plus $10k in mowing equipment plus a truck to pull it all with. I even said sorry you misunderstood the payment terms but you still owe for your lawn cuts and weed trimming.

He never misunderstood.

billslawn89
05-12-2012, 01:26 PM
thats why I write up service agreement to everyone and make sure they understand it and have them sign it. I had 2 on silver palm until some other guy underbid me. Oh well, the yard was a pita anyways, down to one on that street.

05-12-2012, 01:30 PM
thats why I write up service agreement to everyone and make sure they understand it and have them sign it. I had 2 on silver palm until some other guy underbid me. Oh well, the yard was a pita anyways, down to one on that street.

Nope it wasn't I...Sorry to hear it.

Do you know Ty Newman a North Port police
officer? I got my Dixie Chopper and stuff from him. I had started with my own Bad Boy ztr 48" mower. But I sold the Bad Boy after this trade. We just moved back down here last October.

We traded my motorcycle for his 05 Dixie chopper 50", echo trimmer, echo edger, echo blower, echo hedge trimmer. I came out well on it. The mower has 800 hours and I had a bad wire on the ignition that stranded me for 30 minutes on a lawn but I figured it out. :rolleyes:

He got out of the lawn business and just had it sitting in storage; tired of paying the storage. I'm sure he is happy. He can cruise the 98 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 around instead of a dirty old mower. LOL. I had bought the Vulcan in Fort Myers about 2 months ago really cheap. It needed new valve seals but runs great. Ty knew it had the problem when I told him before the trade, and even suggested putting $1500 into the bike.