PDA

View Full Version : Of These 3 Bulk Mulches, Which Do You Prefer?

Northern Woodsman
05-10-2012, 07:48 AM
I need to get about 4 cubic yards of dark brown mulch and want to get some opinions of which is best. The dyed mulch is "wet" and will need to stay dry for about 2 days after spread. The weather is going to be sunny for the next three days.

Out of the 3 below, which do you prefer and why? Is there another that is better? Does anybody buy it bagged? Thanks!:usflag:

Select Hardwood Mulch
Double Shredded Hardwood Mulch
Brown Dyed Mulch

Dr.NewEarth
05-10-2012, 02:08 PM
We only use softwood bark mulch. Not the chunks, they don't stay in place.

Moose's Mowing
05-10-2012, 02:48 PM
i like the double ground brown hardwood mulch. The "normal" stuff, not the dyed stuff. No real reason but it seems to hold up OK, is usually the cheapest stuff there and it's easy to find. It does bleach out a little over the year, but not as bad as the dyed stuff. this isn't based on anything factual of course, just my meager opinion :)

metro36
05-10-2012, 09:50 PM
Im not really crazy about the dyed brown. I usually use double gound natural mulch, if the customer wants brown.Its usually a bit cheaper than dyed brown and dyed brown isnt too common here.

The dyed stuff is a pain though. The dye gets all over everything and stains your clothes when you get it on you or if you kneel on it when it is fresh. Our mulch place usually puts alot of dye in it so it doesnt fade too badly over the year.

wildstarblazer
05-10-2012, 10:41 PM
Shredded hardwood is the best I've used. It is natural and stays put in rain. Colored mulch is basically chopped wood like crates and such, with dye to color.

dalemiles
05-14-2012, 09:23 PM
My $0.02 would be to never use Hardwood mulch if you care about a plant's health. Hardwood mulches (oaks) have a tendency to use tons of nitrogen to breakdown over long periods of time. This is great for long lasting mulch, however not so much for healthy plants due to the fact that the available nitrogen that's being used by the decomposition process of the hardwood typically comes from the soil, which your plants will need. I live and swear by shredded Pine Bark mulch, as it adds nutrients back into the soil as it decomposes rather than robbing your plants of valuable nutrients during this decomposition process. Kinda explains why many quality bedding mixes include Pine Bark mulch as a key component. Oh...and Pine Bark mulch also has a nice natural brown color that lasts. Good Luck!