PDA

View Full Version : Minimum stop charge.

grassmasterswilson
05-11-2012, 08:50 AM
So I usually do charges based on time but recently have been getting a lot of small job calls.

2 of us did two small pine straw jobs. Just spead and clean up. No edging or border work. They took 20 and 30 minutes and were 12 bales each.

How do you handle small under and hour jobs? You have a "stop charge?"
Posted via Mobile Device

ReddensLawnCare
05-11-2012, 08:52 AM
No less than 35. Even if it is only to pull a few weeds unless they are within walking distance of a current stop, that's the minimum
Posted via Mobile Device

Smallaxe
05-11-2012, 11:09 AM
Only do small jobs alone... it is not smart business to have 2 people stopping for less than an hour when you have windshield time X 2 on the clock already...
You can only charge the client so much for bad business management... one guy can always separate from the other long enough to tie up loose ends,,, or have a whole day doing a bunch of those short stops...

Coffeecraver
05-12-2012, 12:34 PM
12 bales of Pine Straw would typically cost me 8.00 per bale.12 x 8 =96.00
I would multiply that by 2.5 totaling 240.00. If the total time to install the pine straw is is 30 min or less you still are making money.:)

ReddensLawnCare
05-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Wow. Where are you located? Around here large bales cost 3:75
Posted via Mobile Device

Coffeecraver
05-12-2012, 04:55 PM
That was just an example

ralph02813
05-18-2012, 01:56 PM
That was just an example

an example of what???? I think it is more helpful to use realistic prices when making examples.

Coffeecraver
05-20-2012, 12:51 AM
:)thank you

kludgemonkey
05-20-2012, 02:02 AM
Pinestraw is 7.15 a bale here. I charge 4 to 7 dollars to install, depending on the amount of weeds.
Posted via Mobile Device

BeachysLawn
05-20-2012, 01:20 PM
Only do small jobs alone... it is not smart business to have 2 people stopping for less than an hour when you have windshield time X 2 on the clock already...
You can only charge the client so much for bad business management... one guy can always separate from the other long enough to tie up loose ends,,, or have a whole day doing a bunch of those short stops...

What? Why is it any different than taking two people to a mowing job that takes you 15 minutes?

ralph02813
05-20-2012, 01:37 PM
What? Why is it any different than taking two people to a mowing job that takes you 15 minutes?

Good question - I think organization is key. One thing that has always stuck me, is that if you look at basic economic theory you have real demishing (sp) returns after a crew of 2 - so why are so many crews three guys - I think it is because big trucks have bench seats.

MDLawn
05-20-2012, 11:34 PM
I was going to start a similar thread although I don't ever deal with pine straw or whatever it is you guys use. Anyways, these small jobs used to be killers for me traveling site to to site, getting materials, dumping, etc..... Even if I can line up a bunch it still never worked out great. I've set a minimum for myself rather than my regular quote style of labor (hrs) + materials + profit and it will definitely be challenging but this has to happen. My equipment isn't free and neither am I. These small trim and mulch jobs that take 2hrs have a high minimum for me. If I get it then it's great if I don't onto the next one. I don't want to be known for doing small jobs but rather doing jobs that take the better part of the day. People know how challenging the work is and are willing to pay for it to be done. The small ones are just like small lawns. The customer can easily do it themselves but knows they don't have to spend much to have it done either. May look good, may not. They don't care. The ones that do care will easily pay. Just my $.02.
Posted via Mobile Device