PDA

View Full Version : Debug Peerless Transmission on Scag

ed2hess
05-12-2012, 10:00 PM
This is a H700-070A Peerless Transmission on a 48" Scag. The unit runs in reverse just fine. When in 1st - 3rd gear the unit will take off fine then it will hesitate and then take back off. If I load it down it doesn't seem to make the frequency worse. Belt is banjo tight It is like jumping out and in gear. And no drive in 4th or 5th gear which may or maynot be related. We unfortunately used those high gears for braking when in transient.

ed2hess
05-13-2012, 02:51 PM
I guess the first step is to pull it off the unit? I know that may not be easy since that bottom pulley is a slip fit with key right? Pulley to big to use
a puller.

piston slapper
05-13-2012, 03:41 PM
Probably broken or worn shift keys and thrust washers on the main shaft.
Posted via Mobile Device

Snapper Jack
05-13-2012, 03:43 PM
This is a H700-070A Peerless Transmission on a 48" Scag. The unit runs in reverse just fine. When in 1st - 3rd gear the unit will take off fine then it will hesitate and then take back off. If I load it down it doesn't seem to make the frequency worse. Belt is banjo tight It is like jumping out and in gear. And no drive in 4th or 5th gear which may or maynot be related. We unfortunately used those high gears for braking when in transient.
sounds like the lower housing is wore out. Can you wiggle trans pulley from underneath? Or as PS has suggested or as was in my case,the shift slider detents were broken.

ed2hess
05-14-2012, 06:29 PM
Probably broken or worn shift keys and thrust washers on the main shaft.
Posted via Mobile Device

Had to replace those shift key in another unit.....razor sharp edges on that shaft as I recall. Those shift keys are magic to me until I get it apart.

ed2hess
05-21-2012, 09:56 PM
After reviewing the literature it was apparent that the shifting fingars was part of the problem. The only question was whether there was too much wear on the mating gears. Can't afford to replace all of them so I decided I would replace third gear. So I took it off and when in to dealer shop. Pulled top off and fingars had wear and gears as expected and everything else looked good. He didn't have fingars so he gave me the entire guts out of warrant replacement that they had just done on a Toro. It had cracked case. Flopped the two shafts and parts in my case set the shifter in place dumped in some special grease sealed top and away I went. Cost me $75.
Put it in and it works:) Found out later my unit was only one month out
of warranty. Morale to this story....got to be at the right place at the right time and don't shift that unit without stopping.

piston slapper
05-22-2012, 07:28 AM
The biggest mistake most people make when replacing the shift keys is forgetting to replace the beveled washers between the gears..
They keep the keys from jumping out of gear....
Posted via Mobile Device

ed2hess
05-22-2012, 10:43 PM
The biggest mistake most people make when replacing the shift keys is forgetting to replace the beveled washers between the gears..
They keep the keys from jumping out of gear....
Posted via Mobile Device

After studying the mechanism it is simply amazing that those fingars can take the loads of engaging that gear interface and stay in place. Do you agree that it would be good to replace the gear that you use most on this type of rebuild? Can't afford to replace all of them . Just no way to judge whether the wear on the gear is too much.

herler
05-23-2012, 01:13 AM
Well...
If it has visible signs of wear, chances are it's too worn.

ed2hess
04-18-2013, 10:17 PM
Well after dropping in the guts from a Toro last year the unit is jumping out of gear again. This was a new set of parts from a new Toro unit that had a cracked cover. One thing I noticed was the gear shift is jumping around up and down and got to thinking that isn't good. How will it stay in gear with it bouncing around So I put a damper on it.

Is this lever supposed to be adjusted so it drags on th e top? Anyway this piece of hose seems to have helped a lot for the time being.

calvinslawnservices
04-18-2013, 10:47 PM
I had a problem on a peerless transmission on the pro-line I bought... It would jump and the gears would grind. I pulled the transmission and cracked it open. The guy that owned it before me had replaced something in the transmission and forgot to put a bushing in one of the cradles that holds the shafts in place. It eventually worn a groove out and would make it so the gears aren't touch and just grinding. I tried putting just a new bushing in but the groove was too large for it to stay correctly. If your was wearing somewhere and you just transferred the guts, it could explain the problem.

Calvin

ed2hess
04-19-2013, 09:21 PM
Yep I am not going to buy a new one....so another winter project. That lube in these units is a nighmare to clean out and then I hear it is expensive to put back.

calvinslawnservices
04-20-2013, 01:08 PM
Yea the lube is like 30 buck for a bottle...

Patriot Services
04-20-2013, 01:33 PM
These trannys last forever until you get lazy. Don't shift on the fly and don't use the gears as a parking brake. Every one I ever had I grease packed and treated as I stated. No problems. I have one on an Encore that I bought at a school board auction with gods knows the hours and I've had it since 95.
Posted via Mobile Device

pugs
04-20-2013, 01:36 PM
Remove old Trans. Install new Trans. Job done.

Patriot Services
04-20-2013, 01:37 PM
Remove old Trans. Install new Trans. Job done.

About 125-150 on ebay right?
Posted via Mobile Device

calvinslawnservices
04-20-2013, 02:59 PM
I paid 300 for mine. It depends on the number of speeds and splines and everything. I also needed my asap so I may have paid a premium for it.
Posted via Mobile Device

ed2hess
04-21-2013, 06:28 PM
These trannys last forever until you get lazy. Don't shift on the fly and don't use the gears as a parking brake. Every one I ever had I grease packed and treated as I stated. No problems. I have one on an Encore that I bought at a school board auction with gods knows the hours and I've had it since 95.
Posted via Mobile Device

Not in the real world......more like a couple years. And this idea that I am going to come to dead stop before shifting is just not possible. I don't think scag puts a big enough one in the 48"wb that deck weighs a ton.

calvinslawnservices
04-21-2013, 07:00 PM
Not in the real world......more like a couple years. And this idea that I am going to come to dead stop before shifting is just not possible. I don't think scag puts a big enough one in the 48"wb that deck weighs a ton.

Why are you shifting? The only time I shift is when I absolutely need the reverse assist, otherwise it was in 4th gear all day everyday. The transmissions are fine for a walk behind, my transmission worked great for me. It pulled me at 260 pounds and the a 52" toro proline up hills no problem. It would still be serving me great if the bushing wasn't missing and wore a hole in the case.

Patriot Services
04-21-2013, 07:51 PM
Sometimes ya just gotta mow fat and furious. Banging gears and poppin wheelies!
Posted via Mobile Device

ed2hess
04-22-2013, 07:02 PM
Why are you shifting? The only time I shift is when I absolutely need the reverse assist, otherwise it was in 4th gear all day everyday. The transmissions are fine for a walk behind, my transmission worked great for me. It pulled me at 260 pounds and the a 52" toro proline up hills no problem. It would still be serving me great if the bushing wasn't missing and wore a hole in the case.

I don't know why in hell they are shifting maybe it is some other reason for the thing popping out of gear. We don't pull anything except the mower deck so surely not the load. We jump curbs with the thing but I have made ramps that are tied onto the deck for easy access. There may be a big difference between mowing fields with no turning and no obstacles as compared to what we do with the unit. Lots of trees bushes obstacles to go around and yes since this thing weighs a ton you have to use rev assist to get it backed up. Maybe the peerless that I got is a different cheaper model than yous. How many gears do you have? I think ours has 5 forward and rev.

calvinslawnservices
04-22-2013, 10:18 PM
I don't know why in hell they are shifting maybe it is some other reason for the thing popping out of gear. We don't pull anything except the mower deck so surely not the load. We jump curbs with the thing but I have made ramps that are tied onto the deck for easy access. There may be a big difference between mowing fields with no turning and no obstacles as compared to what we do with the unit. Lots of trees bushes obstacles to go around and yes since this thing weighs a ton you have to use rev assist to get it backed up. Maybe the peerless that I got is a different cheaper model than yous. How many gears do you have? I think ours has 5 forward and rev.

Mine has 4 forward and reverse. I do a lot of turning and very little backing up. The guys slamming it into reverse is killing it, maybe its time for a little training session on how to properly back up or to turn quicker or to avoid the area and trim it, since they are probably their trimming the area anyways.

It may worth the time to crack open the transmission and see if there is any wear in the case causing it to jump.

Calvin

ed2hess
04-23-2013, 07:47 PM
It may worth the time to crack open the transmission and see if there is any wear in the case causing it to jump.

Calvin

Got to have more experience with trans than I have I opened one on a 32" and everything looked good, even the shifting fingars that I was replacing. U know I don't get why so many gears but that probably doesn't matter. We thought it was smart going with belt drive instead of hydro:dizzy:

calvinslawnservices
04-24-2013, 10:01 PM
Got to have more experience with trans than I have I opened one on a 32" and everything looked good, even the shifting fingars that I was replacing. U know I don't get why so many gears but that probably doesn't matter. We thought it was smart going with belt drive instead of hydro:dizzy:

If I were you I would just replace the transmission and be done with it. The transmissions can take a beating, just have the guys take a second when they shift to reverse or like I said, unless they are going into such tight areas that they cant turn out of they shouldn't need reverse.

Calvin