PDA

View Full Version : Do you charge the same amount for dirt as mulch?

Orrdc
05-13-2012, 01:18 AM
If someone asked for 2 yards of dirt delivered and installed would you charge the same as your price for mulch? I don't see why not, although I guess dirt in theory would be easier

sjessen
05-13-2012, 07:17 AM
Dirt is more expensive here. Heavier too, so no the charges are not the same.

grandview (2006)
05-13-2012, 07:24 AM
Dirt is always more. Mulch is easy to spread out but with dirt your monkeying around a lot more.

Florida Gardener
05-13-2012, 08:52 AM
Yup, more for dirt. Unless it is bagged dirt in pots, it is going to cost way more to spread.
Posted via Mobile Device

Orrdc
05-13-2012, 12:13 PM
Huh, glad I asked. I have never noticed a difference in difficulty but to be honest I haven't done a big order of dirt before, all mulch

How much more are we talking, just a ballpark example would be fine. So if you did 75 a yard for mulch would dirt be 100

sjessen
05-13-2012, 12:18 PM
Huh, glad I asked. I have never noticed a difference in difficulty but to be honest I haven't done a big order of dirt before, all mulch

How much more are we talking, just a ballpark example would be fine. So if you did 75 a yard for mulch would dirt be 100

Ballpark, double your mulch price for dirt if using top quality soils.

Orrdc
05-13-2012, 12:28 PM
Ok, sounds good to me, can't hurt to try

Dr.NewEarth
05-13-2012, 01:38 PM
It's called Soil. Dirt is what's behind your ears.

You should be doing research with your local suppliers and wholesalers to find out product and delivery costs.

There are different soil mixes available, as well there are different types and grades of bark mulch.

The supplier will have different prices for the different products.

The landscaper has to figure out what their labour and operating costs are and add the product and delivery on top of that. Prices are going to vary all over north america and from company to company.

Kelly's Landscaping
05-13-2012, 08:46 PM
Top soil we get about 75 a yard on the labor mulch its 50 a yard on the labor. Soil is 4 times the weight so no question it is more work. Now fill on the other hand without a machine to move and spread it is just impractical to use. Had a job once with 100 yards we did 70 yards of top soil and 30 yards of fill at the clients request to save money. Great he saves 300 dollars on material and I got a lesson that the labor used to move it was 3 times more per yard. Won't do that again. The other factor is weight and your truck lots of guys here can move 5-10 yards of mulch in their trucks few can do that in top soil. My ram 4500 can do 3-4 yards which is lot more then most guys can but still takes a lot of trips to move 10 yards or so for a reseeding job. So why not have them deliver because I like to start jobs on my schedule not theirs and they charge quite a bit to move it now too.

Orrdc
05-13-2012, 11:01 PM
Well I quoted him 100 on the labor for the soil and 50 for the mulch and he accepted so I must be in the right ballpark. Thanks guys