PDA

View Full Version : Billygoat Lawn Vacuum

Fvstringpicker
12-22-2002, 12:33 AM
I am considering buying a Billygoat vacuum for parking lot cleanup and getting up leaves and pinestraw on parking lots and lawns. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Bob Minney
12-22-2002, 10:20 AM
Works good on leaves on lawn or hard surface.
I don't have much luck vacuuming up pine straw off the lawn. Sticks to the turf too much. Helps if you can mulch them 1st.
If there is a heavy layer I have found it quickest to get most with a pitch fork, then vacuum.
Depends on the volume on the paved areas, billy goat is good for final clean up of moderate amounts. Too much ps will clog the vacuum.
If you are looking at a new vac costing 1-3K, I would rent for a day 1st.

cajuncutter
12-22-2002, 10:28 AM
I have a buddy that had 2 billygoats. I took them out on loan and tried them out. I have found that back packs, rake and bags are faster than fooling with the goat. We would basically have to dump the debris on the ground and rebag it. It seemed that it was a pain to try and bag from the bag. Especially now that I have 2 of the large redmax's we can do a medium size parking lot in no time. We just blow everything to one corner and bag it up. And I have found that the redmax's will move the pinestraw with no problem, even when the pile starts getting rather large. They seem to just keep it rolling.

Gene $immons
12-22-2002, 11:20 AM
I think the Billy goat does a nice job for clean-up of DRY leaves on a hard surface. We will have a few guys blowing leaves from the lawn onto the sidewalk or street, and one guy going back and forth with the B.G. I rarely use it on lawns, but it is possible with the right conditions.

MSYardman
12-22-2002, 11:54 AM
We have bought two Biily Goats. The first with a Briggs & Straton engine has been pretty good. We've had to replace the engine once. It does a good job picking up dry leaves on hard surfaces which is what we need.

However, the bagging system is horrible. The straps holding the bag on the handles easily break. Dumping the bag is very hard. Luckily, we just dump in the back of a pickup.

The second BG we bought we spent some extra money to try out the Honda engine. Big mistake. The thing has not worked right since day one. We have had it back to our dealer at least 4-5 times.

I'm looking for something else.