PDA

View Full Version : Water laying in yard - Customer wants French Drain

MatthewG
05-14-2012, 06:15 PM
A customer called me about "yard leveling". He has standing water at a few spots in his yard. He also has a small creek flowing at his property line.

After some thought and his limited budget, regrading with a dozer is out, but he asked about a french drain.

What do you think? From the area where he gets water in the center of his field is 120'. There is also an area 30 - 40' to the creek that gets water.

Would a drain work, 2B stones, possibly perforated pipe? All told I would need to dig 150'. I plan to rent a mini Ex and of course use my skid to back fill and grade.

Lets hear some ideas - I do not cut his grass he does it.

There is a small berm (green shirt guy is standing on it) that he wants removed, from creek bed to center of field there might be a 3' drop

FLCthes4:11-12
05-14-2012, 07:33 PM
If you already have a skid it would be cheaper and better to cut a swale and to grass it.

agrostis
05-14-2012, 10:02 PM
I agree, use that skid to create surface drainage in a straight line toward the creek just like your tape in the second picture. It look's like it go's downhill. Does it ?

MatthewG
05-14-2012, 10:27 PM
Its basically flat and doesn't go down hill, if it did the water would naturally drain. He also wants it flat to mow and play football with the kids.

I thought about a very casual v or swale, but dont know if it will work

MatthewG
05-15-2012, 02:19 PM
Do you think my 2005 LS 180B will be able to cut a swale through the yard? He is leaning towards this $800 option

Get Some...
05-15-2012, 09:12 PM
Good loader operator and a laser level.
$800.00 should cover that easily.

FLCthes4:11-12
05-15-2012, 09:34 PM
Do you think my 2005 LS 180B will be able to cut a swale through the yard? He is leaning towards this $800 option

I got that exact tractor it wont have a problem just make sure you shoot the grade so not to have highs and lows

Smallaxe
05-16-2012, 07:47 AM
By your desciption, there is a very real possibility that there are underground springs in the area, or high water table... French drain would be fine if it is still dry 4 feet down...
I would dig a test hole and fill it with rock if it was still dry...

When you look at the crown of the larger trees, you can see that the ground is 'sinking' over time, which is common in wetlands... adding well drained top soil may be your best solution for the $800...