PDA

View Full Version : New Kubota ZD331 review

dutchacres
05-15-2012, 12:16 AM
Well I finally took delivery of my new ZD331 Kubota 60". I got it equipped with the dump from seater bagger and striping kit. So far I have put about 10 hours on it and I am very pleased so far. I was having a issue with it missing out with the bagger on but that has since went away. I bought the bagger for leaves this fall but used it on a lawn last week just so I could see how it works. I did a great job and filled even. It has a large window on top so you can see when you are about full which is a really nice feature. It is heavy and well made. It is a breeze to take off as you just pick your spot you want to drop it, pull four pins and drive away. The blower part is like Exmarks which is a breeze also to take off. The hose is a clear flexable hose with wire to make it stronger. The only thing I have found I dont like is where the hose goes onto the blower there is no hose clamp our anyway to keep it from blowing off. I did have it blow off on me twice the other day and it covers you with grass in a hurry. I am going to have to figure out a way to find a quick clamp system. The dealer told me they dont put hose clamps on it so you can take it off easy if it gets plugged. The striping kit on these mowers is pretty cool. It actually is spring loaded and when you raise the deck it goes up and locks up and out of harms way. It does not run the full length of the deck just between the tires but does a amazing job. It does make more noise than a typical kit does because of how it is designed. I did lose the bolt out of one end of it so I took both bolts out and put the strongest lock tight I could find on them so hopefully that fixes that problem. The mower itself is powerful and well built. The diesel has a ton of torque and is quiet. It rides well with the pivoting front axle and weight. I have found it to be very comfortable to operate also. When I took the bagger off I did leave the front weights on which affected the handling a bit. I took those off this evening and mowed my lawn and I noticed a big difference in how it handled. Fuel consumption is right around 1.5 gph right now. From everything I have read this is high but I assume once it gets broke in it will improve greatly. The other thing I am not real sure about is it only has a fuel gauge for one tank and a light for the other. I have been running on the tank with the light till it comes on then switching over. I am going to have to read in the manual as when the light comes on how much fuel you have left. I seems to come on when it is at a half a tank or so because it came on today within two hours after I had just fueled up and I looked in the tank and there was a lot of fuel left in there yet. This may be something I can adjust or have the dealer adjust if it is coming on to early. I am going to sharpen blades after the mowing route tomorrow. I checked under the deck today and it is still extremely clean with little build up. I will post some pics of the beast tomorrow. Does anyone know if this is normal on the fuel light? And Kubota owners does the fuel economy get better once broke in?

rreyn1812
05-15-2012, 07:04 AM
As far as I can tell this is normal for the fuel light. I have the same "problem" on my ZD326, but I don't push it and just refuel after about 3 hrs on each tank. From what I understand, the last thing you want to happen is to get air into the fuel lines. I believe the manual says to filter the fuel to ensure you don't get water into the tanks, and it's a pain, but I also filter all the fuel that I load too! The manual also calls for a daily greasing of all the zerks, although the on-line service list only calls out every 50 hrs or so. I checked with my dealer service manager and he said they should be greased at least every 8 hrs, so I basically grease every week. The zerks on the two shafts can be problematic to access, but I load the rear on some ramps so I can get at them better and then manually rotate the deck shaft by hand to position the zerks where they are pointing down. The same can be done on the shaft that goes between the motor and transmission by manually rotating the motor using the flywheel. Got about 90 hrs on mine so far and absolutely no problems. One solid mower! I may get the bagger this fall and am wandering how much does it add to the width of the mower? Thanks, and enjoy that beast!

grassman177
05-15-2012, 08:05 AM
we have them, and love them. very easy to maintain. i can assure you that greasing every day is extreme. we have over 1000hrs in each machine, and never an issue, only grease about 50 hrs or so.

orangemower
05-15-2012, 09:06 AM
Post up some pics when you get the chance.

rreyn1812
05-15-2012, 07:12 PM
Had the left front anti-scalp wheel assembly come off today and it went under the mower deck and made a real mess of the wheel assembly. Didn't mess up the blades at all though. Will wire the new pins to ensure they won't come off again. It's a good idea to keep a sharp eye out for a pin that comes off.

grassman177
05-15-2012, 10:01 PM
been there, done that. easily solved with bolts, since we never change the height of them anyhow. most times, a juniper shrub or pine tree will unhinge the clip.

zd21man
05-15-2012, 11:11 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

zd21man
05-15-2012, 11:37 PM
I have owned the 21 28 and 331. The 331 is by far the best machine of the three.The light comes on mine about half empty also.Its been awhile since i read the owners manual.But i think its says the left tank is the primary tank and the right is the aux tank.once you get her broke in you can figure about one gallon per hour.As for greasing i try to grease once a week or every 10 hours.Except the drive shaft about every 25 hours.
Posted via Mobile Device

dutchacres
05-16-2012, 02:47 PM
Here is a pic of the Kubota. I am going to take a few more for you guys. I will take some of the striping kit, bagger off the machine, bagger attachment points on the mower and what it looks like with the machine jack.

trooper8870
09-09-2012, 11:27 PM
I have recently purchased two ZD331's and a ZG227. I am having a major issue with scalping, leaving an uneven cut and loads of stringers sticking up out of all three units. Mowers were taken back to dealer and decks on all 3 are the way they should be. I have noticed on both 331's that there seems to be alot of play in the steering on both units. Which makes them har to control at times. They don't seem to be very responsive when compared to other mowers I have owned. Anyone have anything they can pass on about these issues I am having?

StanWilhite
09-10-2012, 12:59 AM
Congrats on the new ride...I love to hear those little diesels run!
Stan in N AL

rreyn1812
09-10-2012, 07:12 AM
I have recently purchased two ZD331's and a ZG227. I am having a major issue with scalping, leaving an uneven cut and loads of stringers sticking up out of all three units. Mowers were taken back to dealer and decks on all 3 are the way they should be. I have noticed on both 331's that there seems to be alot of play in the steering on both units. Which makes them har to control at times. They don't seem to be very responsive when compared to other mowers I have owned. Anyone have anything they can pass on about these issues I am having?

Mine is fine as far as response goes, except on really uneven ground where it seems to be overly responsive. Sometimes on the uneven ground, it bucks like a bucking horse at times. The deck cuts good, and no scalping, uneven cut, or excessive stringers.

puppypaws
09-10-2012, 11:03 AM
Fuel consumption is right around 1.5 gph right now. From everything I have read this is high but I assume once it gets broke in it will improve greatly.

As a general rule of thumb, a modern diesel will use about 1/3 of a pound of fuel, per horsepower, per hour, at peak power. A gallon of diesel fuel is 7.3 pounds.

You have a 31 hp engine, this will equate to roughly 31 x .3333 = 10.33 lbs. of fuel per hr...10.33 lbs. per hr. divided by 7.3 lbs. for 1 gal of diesel fuel weight = your engine burning 1.415 gph under maximum load. This relates to what you are cutting, but under average cutting conditions I would say you should be in the 1.3 gph range. The biggest variable in this equation is how hard the engine is working to spin the cutting blades in whatever you are attempting to cut.

MONTE
12-10-2012, 11:31 AM
Any updates on the fuel consumption or even the machine itself?

jrs.landscaping
12-10-2012, 04:37 PM
As a general rule of thumb, a modern diesel will use about 1/3 of a pound of fuel, per horsepower, per hour, at peak power. A gallon of diesel fuel is 7.3 pounds.

You have a 31 hp engine, this will equate to roughly 31 x .3333 = 10.33 lbs. of fuel per hr...10.33 lbs. per hr. divided by 7.3 lbs. for 1 gal of diesel fuel weight = your engine burning 1.415 gph under maximum load. This relates to what you are cutting, but under average cutting conditions I would say you should be in the 1.3 gph range. The biggest variable in this equation is how hard the engine is working to spin the cutting blades in whatever you are attempting to cut.

That equation is very accurate with our Yanmars. They average right around 1.3 GPH. I would assume the Kubota would average the same because our 20hp Kubotas average just under 1 GPH.

MONTE
12-10-2012, 05:07 PM
Ok Diesel fuel is on average .50 cents a gallon higher than gas. My generac's I run burn just under 2 gallon an hour under a heavy load. My question is why diesel?

Ridin' Green
12-10-2012, 05:30 PM
Ok Diesel fuel is on average .50 cents a gallon higher than gas. My generac's I run burn just under 2 gallon an hour under a heavy load. My question is why diesel?

Better torque, better fuel economy (off road diesel is about the same price as gas), better durability, better reliability, and generally longer engine life are the main reasons.

You can find gas engines with decent torque numbers, decent fuel consumption etc, but if gas engines were the best choice for hard work/high load use, semi's and farm machinery would all use gas engines. They don't.

StanWilhite
12-10-2012, 05:42 PM

As Ridin said, "off road" diesel is about the same as gas, and the average diesel will last about twice as long as the average gas engine (everything else being equal).

Diesels also have fewer parts and require less maintenance.

puppypaws
12-10-2012, 05:46 PM

This is an example based on the fuel prices in my area...Off Road Diesel / 3.69
Regular Unleaded Gas / 3.25

You burn, let's say 1.9 gph x 3.25, which equals a fuels cost of 6.18 per hr.

A diesel burning 1.3 gph x 3.69, equals a fuel cost of 4.80 per hr.

This is not a significant fuel savings in an 8 hr. day...The difference people see that are running diesel powered mowers is longevity when putting a tremendous number of hours on a machine per year.

Basically it's nothing but a preference for those that believe they wish to run the same mower for years. I personally have never understood this either, you can buy and installed the A/C Generac you are running for the difference in higher price one pays for a diesel powered mower.

I personally want nothing to do with any liquid cooled mower. The Generac engine; along with the big block Vanguard are the two best engines in the mower market today.

A person that runs a diesel-powered mower will use the argument of better fuel economy, longevity, and they will attempt to use better resale value; they just forget they paid several thousand more when buying the diesel in the beginning.

jrs.landscaping
12-10-2012, 05:55 PM
Using the above example based on 500 hours of use per machine we save almost $700 per year, per unit in fuel. I can't remember the exact numbers I had vs our old gas mowers but they were slightly better.

Ridin' Green
12-10-2012, 05:56 PM

This is not a significant fuel savings in an 8 hr. day...The difference people see that are running diesel powered mowers is longevity when putting a tremendous number of hours on a machine per year.

Basically it's nothing but a preference for those that believe they wish to run the same mower for years. I personally have never understood this either, you can buy and installed the A/C Generac you are running for the difference in higher price one pays for a diesel powered mower.

I personally want nothing to do with any liquid cooled mower. The Generac engine; along with the big block Vanguard are the two best engines in the mower market today.

A person that runs a diesel-powered mower will use the argument of better fuel economy, longevity, and they will attempt to use better resale value; they just forget they paid several thousand more when buying the diesel in the beginning.

Just using your fuel numbers some quick math using fairly average numbers for an LCO in an average year (8 hrs per day, 5 days per week, 36 weeks per year) shows a fuel savings of $1987 per year. Times that by 3 seasons and the engine has not only paid for itself, but saved you money on fuel, and yes, there's still the higher resale value of a diesel powered piece of equipment. None of this is taking into account the lower maintenance costs of a diesel either.

On top of that, an LQ engine maintains its power level more consistently over a long hot day than any air cooled engine.

I run an air cooled gas engine, but would much rather have a diesel that is LQ'd, especially in thick and/or heavy grass.

GMLC
12-10-2012, 05:58 PM
I have run Kubota diesels with 4000-5000 hours. Imagine the savings over that amount of hours!
Posted via Mobile Device

puppypaws
12-10-2012, 06:40 PM
Just using your fuel numbers some quick math using fairly average numbers for an LCO in an average year (8 hrs per day, 5 days per week, 36 weeks per year) shows a fuel savings of $1987 per year. Times that by 3 seasons and the engine has not only paid for itself, but saved you money on fuel, and yes, there's still the higher resale value of a diesel powered piece of equipment. None of this is taking into account the lower maintenance costs of a diesel either.

On top of that, an LQ engine maintains its power level more consistently over a long hot day than any air cooled engine.

I run an air cooled gas engine, but would much rather have a diesel that is LQ'd, especially in thick and/or heavy grass.

Until you've operated a mower with the 33 hp Generac there is no way to understand just how powerful it is. I've put a 33 Generac side by side with a mower running a 28 hp Cat diesel, and the Cat was so weak in comparison everyone watching was totally astonished. It would have taken the four cylinder 35 hp Cat to compete. Hot weather will never leave a mower feeling sluggish if powered by a 33 Generac, most people operating zero turn mowers have never experienced the type power associated with the 33 Generac. Believe me, you would need to get into at least a 35 Cat to compete with the 33 Generac in strength. You cannot believe this unless you have experience it, and I have.

Ridin' Green
12-10-2012, 06:56 PM
You think maybe the 33 Generac is under rated by the factory intentionally?

I know there are companies that do that ( like Deere doees with its ag tractors. A quick look at tractordata dot come shows that)/

GMLC
12-10-2012, 07:14 PM
Until you've operated a mower with the 33 hp Generac there is no way to understand just how powerful it is. I've put a 33 Generac side by side with a mower running a 28 hp Cat diesel, and the Cat was so weak in comparison everyone watching was totally astonished. It would have taken the four cylinder 35 hp Cat to compete. Hot weather will never leave a mower feeling sluggish if powered by a 33 Generac, most people operating zero turn mowers have never experienced the type power associated with the 33 Generac. Believe me, you would need to get into at least a 35 Cat to compete with the 33 Generac in strength. You cannot believe this unless you have experience it, and I have.

I have never run a cat or generac on a mower but have run a Kubota F2000 with a 8 ft deck and AWD. The Kubota diesel never even felt like it worked. This mower ran 10 hours per day 6 days per week on a 400 acre campus. To me diesel totally makes sense when mowing acerage. I wouldnt want one mowing 10 different lawns a day though. Seems diesel saves money while running not on a trailer going from property to property.
Posted via Mobile Device

jrs.landscaping
12-10-2012, 07:22 PM
I'd put the 31 hp Yanmar up against that Generac. Also what is the fuel consumption on that motor?

puppypaws
12-10-2012, 07:23 PM
You think maybe the 33 Generac is under rated by the factory intentionally?

I know there are companies that do that ( like Deere doees with its ag tractors. A quick look at tractordata dot come shows that)/

I have heard what you stated, but have no way of verifying. The other gasoline engines have been rated within 15% for so long, it could possibly be the Generac is a true full 33 hp, whereas with the old rating if they stay within 4.95 hp, they could legally call it 33 hp, when in reality it could be 28 to 29 actual hp.

The Generac is amazingly powerful, if "MONTE" would come back in he could probably verify this. The area I put the 33 Generac and 28 Cat into for a comparison was a grassed waterway between two of my row crop fields. The grass was very thick but also 24" to 30" tall. I put them into this area for the reason of stalling the engines, and the 28 Cat could be stalled very easily, while the 33 Generac varied rpm's very little. I personally could not believe what I saw, it was as if the Generac was 40 hp and the Cat was 25 or less.

I'd put the 31 hp Yanmar up against that Generac. Also what is the fuel consumption on that motor?

The fuel consumption will be in the 1.8 to 2 gph range...Know nothing about a Yanmar but if it is going to hang with a 33 Generac it will need all it's got.

puppypaws
12-10-2012, 07:35 PM
I have never run a cat or generac on a mower but have run a Kubota F2000 with a 8 ft deck and AWD. The Kubota diesel never even felt like it worked. This mower ran 10 hours per day 6 days per week on a 400 acre campus. To me diesel totally makes sense when mowing acerage. I wouldnt want one mowing 10 different lawns a day though. Seems diesel saves money while running not on a trailer going from property to property.
Posted via Mobile Device

You hit the nail on the head with this statement, for a diesel to really show its stuff, it should run solid for 8 to 10 hrs. per day with virtually no break, like we run farm machinery.

Ridin' Green
12-10-2012, 08:13 PM
puppy-
IIRC you have posted pics of that waterway. Maybe you could post them here too.

I haven't run a Cat diesel, the 28 in particular, but I do recall reading on the net (and maybe even this site somewhere) that the 28 Cat is a dog of an engine for its size, while the 35 Cat is a real powerhouse for its size.

StanWilhite
12-10-2012, 08:38 PM

As far as mowers go, I've always thought of the gas/diesel argument as "whether you want to pay out of your left pocket or your right pocket".
:laugh:
Big eqp is a different matter altogether.

puppypaws
12-10-2012, 08:40 PM
puppy-

I haven't run a Cat diesel, the 28 in particular, but I do recall reading on the net (and maybe even this site somewhere) that the 28 Cat is a dog of an engine for its size, while the 35 Cat is a real powerhouse for its size.

This is not the same waterway where we made the comparison between the 33 Generac and 28 Cat, but it is an area beside my pond that would stop my 66" Super Z with the 28 efi dead in its tracks. The young man in the picture, which at one time had his own lawn maintenance business, and still continues to service some properties, took his mower with the 33 Generac through this with no problem. Now, as we all know, it did not cut all the grass in the first pass, but the engine did not slow down, and I still honestly find this hard to believe, and I'm not sure I would if not for being there and making the pictures. Something you can notice when looking at the picture of him along the waters edge, if the 33 Generac was not holding its top end operating rpm's, the grass would not be discharging this distance out into the water.

Ridin' Green
12-10-2012, 09:03 PM
That's some thick grass right there. Looks good after though.

Glad he didn't catch a wheel and go off the edge.

puppypaws
12-10-2012, 09:28 PM
That's some thick grass right there. Looks good after though.

Glad he didn't catch a wheel and go off the edge.

I was going to run a JD 15' rotary cutter over the area, but decided to leave it for a trial purpose.

There are very few ZTR mowers that would be able to cut this and make any time, and there are many that could not cut it at all.

WREBELMACHINE
12-11-2012, 05:13 PM
I use to run diesel pretty exclusive but the cost up front and a change in how long I keep equipment has me running gas units these days. The fuel saving is not that much between the two and by the time it starts paying for itself the machine is shot. However I may change back because of the sticker shock I am having with gas machines. And kubota is pretty close in price to the gas machines that I run so it might pay me to go back to diesel and probably kubota considering what all the other diesel mowers cost kubota seems reasonable.

puppypaws
12-11-2012, 05:23 PM
I use to run diesel pretty exclusive but the cost up front and a change in how long I keep equipment has me running gas units these days. The fuel saving is not that much between the two and by the time it starts paying for itself the machine is shot. However I may change back because of the sticker shock I am having with gas machines. And kubota is pretty close in price to the gas machines that I run so it might pay me to go back to diesel and probably kubota considering what all the other diesel mowers cost kubota seems reasonable.

There must be one heck of a price difference in your area than in mine, I just bought a new 72" 35 hp Hustler Super Z for 10,600, and any mowers comparable with diesel would be in the 14k range.

Ridin' Green
12-11-2012, 05:40 PM
There must be one heck of a price difference in your area than in mine, I just bought a new 72" 35 hp Hustler Super Z for 10,600, and any mowers comparable with diesel would be in the 14k range.

That same machine you bought was in the $12,5k to $13K range here this past spring. Prices seem to be all over the place depending on what part of the country you are in the last couple years. Guys down south and out west seem to think Deere is expensive, but here they are the same price as any other brand, and cheaper than some like Exmark which is getting rediculous here these days.

puppypaws
12-11-2012, 05:50 PM
That same machine you bought was in the $12,5k to $13K range here this past spring. Prices seem to be all over the place depending on what part of the country you are in the last couple years. Guys down south and out west seem to think Deere is expensive, but here they are the same price as any other brand, and cheaper than some like Exmark which is getting rediculous here these days.

It could very well be certain brands sells at a higher volume in certain areas. My dealer's largest volume seller is Bobcat, and second is Hustler, but he moves hundreds, and sometimes over a thousand Hustler mowers in a selling year.

This is probably how he gives a little better price than dealer that may only sell fifty or less in a year...There are all types of deals cut between a manufacturer and a high volume dealer.

Ridin' Green
12-11-2012, 05:59 PM
The only two Hustler dealers within 50 miles of me are both fairly high volume dealers (at least as high as the crappy economy here allows). The Exmark dealers are all very high volume dealers but they are just crazy expensive here. It's more of a "if you're a serious LCO, you gotta run Exmark" thing than anything else, and that's what drives prices of them here.

Too, I think different machines get a rep one way or the other for QOC or build or what have you in certain areas that help them sell better in those areas due to word of mouth etc. I actually like it when many brands are located in a particular area because it creates competition that would not otherwise be there. Too bad I'm not in one of those areas.:rolleyes:

MONTE
12-14-2012, 09:59 PM
Yes generac 33 is very strong. I was hoping that the kubota did better on fuel than what I am seeing. So I have some more thinking to do.

puppypaws
12-15-2012, 09:31 AM
puppy-

Here are a few more pictures letting you see another waterway he mowed with the Generac, one of which another looking the same as this stopped the 28 Cat dead in its tracks.

I am also including pictures (which are first in line) of a 60" Bad Boy with a 32 hp Vanguard I demoed, just to show the power of the BB Vanguard. This is 30" (measured) tall Signal Grass, which is one of the toughest grasses on earth to cut, for the fact it stays extremely sappy even in dry weather conditions. A mower deck of any make has a very hard time cutting this type grass because of discharge problems; due to the fact it's very heavy because of holding extreme moisture in its stem and leaf parts.

I went into this large Signal Grass for the reason of killing the engine, but to my surprise the engine held its operating rpms extremely well, almost to the point of unbelief. The deck of course did not cut all the grass in one pass, but the next pass to clean up what was left was so easy the governor on the Vanguard never kicked in.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=84126&stc=1&d=1183519056

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=84128&stc=1&d=1183519139

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=84129&stc=1&d=1183519179

jrs.landscaping
12-15-2012, 01:49 PM
Here are some pictures of a cleanup we did with our Deere with a DFS bagger. Grass was between 2-3 feet in places. There was so much grass we used our skid steer and ended up with over 30 CY's from a 6 acre property.

TriCountyLawn
12-15-2012, 01:55 PM
Any finished pics of the yard bagged by the JD ?

jrs.landscaping
12-15-2012, 02:02 PM
This isn't the same area but here is pretty much what it looked like (minus the trimming.) I'll have to get more pictures in the spring, I thought I had some on here but I can't seem to find them.

TriCountyLawn
12-15-2012, 03:11 PM
Looks like it did the trick. Was that a foreclosed property ?

jrs.landscaping
12-15-2012, 03:23 PM
No, the guy in charge of the grounds suffered a heart attack and couldn't return to work. We had to wait until the end of the fiscal year to take over the property and obviously by then it had gotten out of hand. Luckily they told us to charge them for the cleanup even though it wasn't part of the original contract.

Ridin' Green
12-15-2012, 04:48 PM
It's amazing what some of these machines can do, especially in that type of grass/junk. The ol' Deere looks like it laid 'er low pretty good to me.

Ridin' Green
12-15-2012, 04:51 PM
puppy-
are those pics taken on your farm or somewhere else? Just curious about all the buildings in the background. How many acres are you farming etc, and why do you prefer to hang out on a mower forum when you could obviously hang out with real farmers and BS with them about that great looking corn crop that was growing in those pics?

TriCountyLawn
12-15-2012, 06:21 PM
To the OP - How much does that catcher hold ?

puppypaws
12-15-2012, 08:02 PM
puppy-
are those pics taken on your farm or somewhere else? Just curious about all the buildings in the background. How many acres are you farming etc, and why do you prefer to hang out on a mower forum when you could obviously hang out with real farmers and BS with them about that great looking corn crop that was growing in those pics?

Yes, these are some of my buildings, there are more in different areas. I've been farming over 40 yrs. I now have my nephew do the planting and harvesting, unless I want to run a combine or maybe chop corn stalks. I have been 100% no-till for 26 yrs. which takes a great deal of work out of the equation. We've got about 1800 acres scattered, of which my nephew and three more do the planting, spraying, and harvesting. I've operated enough machinery in my life that the fun has gone for me, but my 30 yr. old nephew loves everything about it. The only thing I really concentrate on is soil fertility, of which I just received all the soil samples I had taken on grid with GPS. I also concentrate on chemical compounds to stay ahead of the resistance we now have on a few harder to control weeds such as Palmer Amaranth, which has become resistant to glyphosate.

I am in a few farm forums, a very small percentage of the talk is interesting, and like with any other forum, there is a great deal of BS to wade through. They talk about things that is already common knowledge for me, so most of it is boring. What I enjoy most is talking with people in different parts of the country to see how their weather is treating them. Farming is so different across different states, most things discussed in the Midwest is not relative to my area, and vice-versa.

I use poultry litter as fertilizer, and most people have no idea how far ahead as a fertilizer source poultry litter actually is. I stated applying poultry litter as fertilizer with my father over 50 yrs. ago, meaning the land I farm is extremely strong in nutrient value. I applied a 6 ton rate of broiler chicken litter in early spring of 2011 and have grown three crops with the last being a 57 bu bean crop. I have applied nothing except nitrogen on corn and winter wheat, the soil samples came back and said the land needed nothing except nitrogen for another corn crop, and nothing for soybeans. I did need .5 to .8 tons of lime on a scattering of fields, of which it will be spread this coming week. The minor elements that are so important such as sulfur and zinc along with all other minor elements are at a very high level in my soil. These are the things farmers that do not have access to litter must buy to maintain a correct balance. I can farm cheaper than most due to having my own and access to other poultry litter as a fertilizer source.

You can tell from looking at the corn, with the color being so healthy that poultry litter is second to none as a fertilizer source. This corn had nothing but litter and 20 gallons per acre of 28% nitrogen.

Ridin' Green
12-15-2012, 08:34 PM
We had a very large garden where I grew up. My dad worked with a guy not too awful far from us who had quite a few thousand of chickens and not enough space to get rid of their litter. We used a lot of it on our garden and it always grew very well, so I have some firsthand experience with it, and know whereof you speak.

Too bad I don't live closer. I don't think I'll ever tire of running machinery, especially farm type equipment. I don't have a farm, but I grew up working on a small one.:)

puppypaws
12-15-2012, 08:47 PM
We had a very large garden where I grew up. My dad worked with a guy not too awful far from us who had quite a few thousand of chickens and not enough space to get rid of their litter. We used a lot of it on our garden and it always grew very well, so I have some firsthand experience with it, and know whereof you speak.

Too bad I don't live closer. I don't think I'll ever tire of running machinery, especially farm type equipment. I don't have a farm, but I grew up working on a small one.:)

I have all ideas you would love to operate the 585R Lexion with the 35' header, as a matter of fact this is a picture I took in my soybean field that was on the RFD TV Channel one morning. They had a segment on the terrific yields I was experiencing on double-cropped soybeans planted behind wheat.

Ridin' Green
12-15-2012, 09:02 PM
Now we're talking. That's just mowing on a grand scale, but doing it in style and comfort. Yes, I'd be happy as can be sitting up there watching it work, and enjoying God's creation.

grassman177
12-15-2012, 10:26 PM

If you want to save a ton of money, we have a great used one for sale right now, lol. it is the 326 and it is awesome.

StanWilhite
12-15-2012, 10:36 PM
I have all ideas you would love to operate the 585R Lexion with the 35' header, as a matter of fact this is a picture I took in my soybean field that was on the RFD TV Channel one morning. They had a segment on the terrific yields I was experiencing on double-cropped soybeans planted behind wheat.

How nice it would be if the ztr's had this same "ride and climate control"!

puppypaws
12-16-2012, 08:50 AM
Now we're talking. That's just mowing on a grand scale, but doing it in style and comfort. Yes, I'd be happy as can be sitting up there watching it work, and enjoying God's creation.

The younger generation has never suffered with old machinery like I ran for years; without all the comfort. What's going on in this photo would not be nearly as much fun as with me cutting 250 acres of soybeans one fall with a Massey Ferguson Super 92 combine that did not have a cab. The dust was so bad late one afternoon just before dusk, when I turned around to go back into the beans to begin cutting, I had to wait before I could see where to enter for the next pass. That still sticks out in my mind when sitting in this machine, and also remembering when my father and I conventional farmed; where all the land was chisel plowed and disked twice. Harvest time would come, and if it had rained very much, I was forced to cut in the mud, where I had to use the brakes on the combine to steer as much as the steering wheel itself. Running a combine in the mud and having to fight it every inch of the way is the most tiring thing I have ever done, at the end of the day I would be mentally and physically worn out. With being 100% no-till for the last 26 yrs., dealing with soft ground is a thing of the past.

No-till allows the earthworms to work the soil, which in-return allows them to migrate in and out of the soil, this leaves small tunnels throughout the soil structure. With these tunnels drilled into the soil; it allows the rainfall to penetrate much better, which allows the top to retain a stronger composition holding up the machinery much better.

I could talk about farming, on and on, but this is not the place, so we will get back to the topic at hand.