PDA

View Full Version : Weedeater?

jayrodd
12-22-2002, 10:31 AM
I am in the market for a new weedeater. Should I buy an Echo or a Shindaiwa? Email me at jayrood1976@aol.com.:)

yourlawnguy
12-22-2002, 10:39 AM
Never used shindaiwa. I've always had Echo trimmers and have had no reason to try anything else. They're lightwieght and reliable also very comfortable to use.

devildog
12-22-2002, 10:50 AM
Try a search of the site, its amazing the info you will find. With Regards... devildog

CMLLawnServices
12-22-2002, 02:03 PM
Buy STHIL u will not be dissapointed I finally bought one after blowing up 2 lesser trimmers. It will pay for itself in a few weeks.

bubble boy
12-22-2002, 02:27 PM
of the two listed i prefer the shindaiwa.

Fvstringpicker
12-22-2002, 02:49 PM
We use both Echo and Stihl. I'd recommend either.

captdevo
12-22-2002, 02:55 PM
Kawasaki 26 is the strongest lightest on the market!!

grassdaddy
12-22-2002, 04:05 PM
CaptDevos right!!the stihl boys faces were longer than a hogs on slaughter day when they did the little power test at the expo.but the blower power test was even better-winner of that redmax 7000 and it was echo's test!:o

TaylorLawn
12-22-2002, 06:14 PM
I have to agree that Echo and Stihl are both great for commercial use, I have used both but prefer Echo...but I do not really have any complaints about the Stihl product, there just seem to be more Echo dealers where I am.....Eric

lawncare3
12-22-2002, 07:36 PM
Buy STHIL u will not be dissapointed I finally bought one after blowing up 2 lesser trimmers. It will pay for itself in a few weeks.
I agree, I have a stihl br 420c magnum and i have no problems with it and it's the best profit maker i've ever had!

Detailed LawnService
12-22-2002, 09:06 PM
Similar to the Shindaiwa but better; lighter & more powerful
Sthils are excellent also especially for heavy trimming and brush work...Cant forget Redmax Trimmers!

FS Lawn
12-22-2002, 09:13 PM
Echo 260 I have used them for the past 4 years and have had no problems ( I still prefer the 2601 to the 260 though )

Hookset
12-22-2002, 09:13 PM
I have stihl, echo, and husky. Each one serves its purpose. The best I have found for trim work is the husky plenty power and very light. I doubt the Kaw comes close in weight. The stihl with the saw and tiller attachments are one of the best investments I've made. The echo's have worked flawless for years. So its all in what you want it for.

grassdaddy
12-22-2002, 09:32 PM
hookset--if youd been fishin percy priest nov.14 you could have swung on over to the expo and seen for yourself.mowin & fishin it don't get any better!!:)

HarryD
12-22-2002, 09:44 PM
jayrod are you going to be using this for home use or commercial use
if for home use go with either of the ones you listed . but if your gunna go commercial I would look into a split boom trimmer so you can dual use it

redmax , echo , and sthil all make nice units

http://www.redmax.com/products/detail.cfm?ProdID=46

http://www.stihlusa.com/trimmers/FS85RT.html

http://www.echo-usa.com/prods_item.asp?Model=SRM-2400SB&Category=TRIMMER

walker-talker
12-22-2002, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by grassdaddy
CaptDevos right!!the stihl boys faces were longer than a hogs on slaughter day when they did the little power test at the expo.but the blower power test was even better-winner of that redmax 7000 and it was echo's test!:o

I saw that also and never did figure that one out.

MATT

Hookset
12-22-2002, 09:50 PM
Grassdaddy, I tried to make the expo but had some jobs to try and finish. This past year fishing has taken second place to my work. Hopfully that will change this next year.

Green Pastures
12-22-2002, 11:57 PM
Echo SRM 2601

DO NOT get the SRM 260S. The EPA friendly carb SUCKS.

bubble boy
12-23-2002, 12:58 AM
just to note, and be anal, i prefer to use the term trimmer, or string trimmer. ;)

darronb
12-23-2002, 11:14 AM
The Shindaiwa is a great trimmer. You may also want to take a look at the Maruyama trimmers also.

Shuter
12-23-2002, 12:28 PM
Go with Stihl. FS 85 with intercangable tool heads. A great invesyment for future work.

mklawnman
12-23-2002, 12:45 PM
Echo, got a 2400 straight shaft, and a 2400 SB both a great hard working machines and are light weight.
Matt

FrankenScagMachines
12-23-2002, 05:55 PM
We don't have a RedMax dealer here and the Shindaiwa dealer was going to drop them because he couldn't sell enough (not a bad machine just people didn't know about them) so I bought a Stihl FS80 from him instead. I love it! Echo was the other option I was considering but I didn't really think a whole lot of the dealer compared to the Stihl/Shindaiwa dealer. Eudy Sales and Service in Columbus, In is the only place I would buy my Toro, LawnBoy, Dixie Chopper and Stihl equipment and parts from! Of the many dealerships I have dealt with they are by far the best!!!!!
Eric

Sooners
12-24-2002, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by bubble boy
just to note, and be anal, i prefer to use the term trimmer, or string trimmer. ;)

Actually BB, you're right about the terminology. I used to work at the Poulan/Weedeater factory here in Arkansas where we produced line trimmers among all the other L & G equip. Weedeater is a brand.

But I still go to get a Coke and purchase a Pepsi. Then I use my Zerox machine (made by IBM) to make copies. I'm sure Weadeater likes the free publicity.

By the way, The first weedeater, I mean line trimmer, was a fishing line attached to a tin can (I think), by a guy in Houston, Tx. who later formed Weedeater corp. who sold it to Poulan. Aren't we all glad he invented it. I'm especially glad we're still not having to use electric models.

Sooners
12-24-2002, 03:21 AM
Is it jayrodd or jayrood? Website is spelled rood, Login is rodd.

walker-talker
12-24-2002, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Sooners
Actually BB, you're right about the terminology. I used to work at the Poulan/Weedeater factory here in Arkansas where we produced line trimmers among all the other L & G equip. Weedeater is a brand.

But I still go to get a Coke and purchase a Pepsi. Then I use my Zerox machine (made by IBM) to make copies. I'm sure Weadeater likes the free publicity.

By the way, The first weedeater, I mean line trimmer, was a fishing line attached to a tin can (I think), by a guy in Houston, Tx. who later formed Weedeater corp. who sold it to Poulan. Aren't we all glad he invented it. I'm especially glad we're still not having to use electric models.

And don't forget, but you probably blow your nose with a Kleenex:D

MATT

crawdad
12-24-2002, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by bubble boy

anal? I prefer the term a-hole, myself. Same thing. Just Kidding, but you asked for it. :D
Crawdad

edgit
12-25-2002, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Sooners
by the way, The first weedeater, I mean line trimmer, was a fishing line attached to a tin can (I think), by a guy in Houston, Tx. who later formed Weedeater corp. who sold it to Poulan. Aren't we all glad he invented it. I'm especially glad we're still not having to use electric models. [/B]

I believe his name was George Ballas, and he was not the first inventor, I think his patents were later overturned because of "prior art". He was the first though to commercise a practical string trimmer, if you want to call a 40lb curved shaft machine whose bump head had 4 seperate spools in it for string. I know I used it alot.

Tony12
12-26-2002, 08:53 AM
I'd recommend Echo or Stihl. Pick a brand which has great dealer support.

Albemarle Lawn
12-26-2002, 06:38 PM
We just replace 2 Stihl br420 with 2 Redmax EB7000.

OK this thread was about trimmers but since blowers were brought up:

The Redmax blows the Stihl out of the water. 4.75 Horsepower vs 3.35 HP for the Stihl.

Its just not even close. Jobs that used to take 4 hours are done in 1.5 hours. (I talking heavy leaf cleanups).

Don't get me wrong the Stihl is a quality machine, but it is loud and rough compared to the Redmax.

KB

lawncare3
12-26-2002, 10:37 PM
We just replace 2 Stihl br420 with 2 Redmax EB7000.

Where can I get a REDMAX?

crawdad
12-26-2002, 11:33 PM
Well, I know this guy in Johnson City, but you may not want to travel that far, so right here on Lawnsite, there's a sponsor, RPM...he can hook you up. http://www.rpm-co.com/prod01.htm there's his page. Capt.Devo, pageing CaptDevo....