PDA

View Full Version : I hate when this happens.....

Get Some...
05-15-2012, 02:32 PM
Pulled up in front of a regular mowing job today and it was just mowed with a 21". :confused:

Left a bill for the last four services and one fert app.
Plus a $20 trip charge for today....
Wrote on it "if you no longer require our service I would appreciate a phone call or e-mail saying so".

We will see what happens.

sehitchman
05-15-2012, 03:09 PM
Be careful how you word that type of note. I had one of my yards get cut, the homeowner never figured out who did it. We figured some LCO did the wrong house. Still my customer after a couple of years.

Richard Martin
05-15-2012, 03:44 PM
Wow, $20 trip charge? This one wasn't in the same neighborhood as any others that you cut? Or even the same town for that matter. Did you have that penalty written into the contract or verbally agreed to?

Get Some...
05-15-2012, 05:20 PM
Wow, $20 trip charge? This one wasn't in the same neighborhood as any others that you cut? Or even the same town for that matter. Did you have that penalty written into the contract or verbally agreed to?

Call your local HVAC guy, make an appointment for maintenance of your HVAC.

Do not be there when he comes.....see what happens...:laugh:

hammmerhead
05-15-2012, 05:45 PM
Fixed it for you:)

Pulled up in front of a regular mowing job today and it was just mowed with a 21". :confused:

Left a bill for the last four services and one fert app.
Plus a $20 trip charge for today....
Wrote on it "Thanks for not telling me someone mowed your yard. This way I make 20 dollars just for driving to your home and doing no work"We will see what happens.

shadrach
05-15-2012, 05:48 PM
What is wrong with a trip charge?

Richard Martin
05-15-2012, 05:52 PM
If it's not in the contract then you can't charge for it. Or at least, they don't have to pay it if you charge it.

4 seasons lawn&land
05-15-2012, 07:09 PM
Respect for the lawn guy is so low that the lawn guys dont even have a problem with it anymore. Still, I wouldve made sure it wasnt a mix up or granny getting some excersize before I left the note. The service charge is legit if your in a rural area.

Snapper Jack
05-15-2012, 07:14 PM

Cutting grass isn't a specialized field and any Tom,Dick and Harry from the ghettos could fill your shoes.Good luck in collecting that 20.00:laugh:

yardguy28
05-15-2012, 07:48 PM

we aren't the local HVAC.

I think $20 is a bit ridiculous. you only need to cover a little gas from driving there. $5 is more than reasonable.

good luck keeping that account. I'd pay everything BUT $20 charge and fire your @ss.

Florida Gardener
05-15-2012, 07:52 PM
It's also his time. If he spent 20 minutes driving to and from, that's 20 minutes of wasted time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Weekend cut easymoney
05-15-2012, 07:57 PM
leave a bill for the mowing--tell them that it could have been skipped this week as it had not grown very much-

Seriously- if you want to keep the customer tell them that you arrived today for the regular mowing that was agreed upon and discovered that it had been cut so you skipped the mowing and will be back in one week on the agreed upon day- I ask that customers notify me 24 hours in advance to mowing if they want to cancel to avoid paying the minimum $20 trip charge-

lawnboy dan
05-15-2012, 07:59 PM
kills me you guys who think you can charge extra if there is dog poop in the lawn and now a trip charge? try this here in florida where the compotition is feirce

Landscape Poet
05-15-2012, 08:08 PM
Respect for the lawn guy is so low that the lawn guys dont even have a problem with it anymore.

One of the truest comments I have read on here for awhile. You nailed it along with Diamond considering the time the guy spent driving to and from only to find the property had been serviced and if he had a helper the time he paid him each way.

Get Some...
05-15-2012, 08:15 PM
One of the truest comments I have read on here for awhile. You nailed it along with Diamond considering the time the guy spent driving to and from only to find the property had been serviced and if he had a helper the time he paid him each way.

Exactly...1/2 hr + gas + aggravation....= at least $20.00. :)

Now I know that some of the lawn care folks around here dont charge that much for a half hour....but I do. :waving:

Weekend cut easymoney
05-15-2012, 08:16 PM
kills me you guys who think you can charge extra if there is dog poop in the lawn and now a trip charge? try this here in florida where the compotition is feirce

pretty fierce here in Texas...I don't have the problem due to mostly working on contract...but I write it into the contract that they need to call 24 hours prior to cancel otherwise they have to pay a trip charge...

any client that does that to me, I kinda write off as a scumbag especially if they fight me about the trip charge...let the next guy deal with them...
The understood contract is...customers expect you to be there for the whole next year on a regular interval and then, you do your due dilligence to be there when expected and somehow they don't feel obligated to pay a trip charge? unbelievable-

jrs.landscaping
05-15-2012, 08:16 PM
I had a few customers that would mow their lawn and then "forget" to let me know to skip a week, finally I told them as soon as my truck hits your property its $30 for my wasted time and wasted fuel. One found someone else and the other asked me to mow twice a week. Time is money and whether you drop the gate or not doesn't mean you don't have dollars invested into that trip IMO.

Get Some...
05-15-2012, 08:25 PM
I had a few customers that would mow their lawn and then "forget" to let me know to skip a week, finally I told them as soon as my truck hits your property its $30 for my wasted time and wasted fuel. One found someone else and the other asked me to mow twice a week. Time is money and whether you drop the gate or not doesn't mean you don't have dollars invested into that trip IMO.

Yup.

Looks like I should raise my "no mow" rates...:laugh:

andyslawncare
05-15-2012, 08:27 PM
What is wrong with a trip charge?

I have a $35 stop charge, which includes up to half an hour for 2 men unless its a contracted account or a warranty service from an install.

Gotta make money

Patriot Services
05-15-2012, 08:35 PM
I would of ran the mower in the opposite direction and left my own stripes with the regular bill.
Posted via Mobile Device

Get Some...
05-15-2012, 08:42 PM
I would of ran the mower in the opposite direction and left my own stripes with the regular bill.
Posted via Mobile Device

:drinkup:

Landscape Poet
05-15-2012, 08:52 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Good suggestion but then you charge more because you are giving them them checkerboard stripes:dancing:

OakNut
05-16-2012, 12:50 AM
Heh. Get this one.
I picked up a client last season. He's a biweekly, but it's OK because his lawn really doesn't grow much.
At the beginning of this season, I took a drive by and noted that it wasn't quite ready for the first cut. A few days later he called...

CLIENT:
"Hey, thanks for cutting the lawn - it didn't really need it yet, but that's OK - I put your check out, but I see it's still here."

ME:
I didn't cut it.

CLIENT:
I thought that was odd that you'd cut it without calling, or leaving a bill after you cut... well, who the fnck cut it then?!!

ME:
You got me. I didn't think you'd want it cut yet, so I was going to call next week.

CLIENT:
Sonofabeotch... who the "bleep" cut my grass?!!! You know you're my man and I wouldn't hire someone else... what the... I'm gonna get to the bottom of this, but I want you to cut it in two weeks.

About two weeks later client calls...

CLIENT:
Those motherfnckers cut it AGAIN! I don't know who did it - no bill, or anything. I think they are supposed to be cutting the empty house next door!

ME:
You need to put up a sign that says "DO NOT CUT THE GRASS!"

CLIENT:
I apologize... I don't want you to be shorted - just come over next week and cut it even if it doesn't need it.

ME:
No problem, see you then!

The following week...

(OakNut drives up to client's house - AGAIN)

WTF???!!!

The whole lawn is DESTROYED! Fence broken, trees sheared off, tire tracks gouged into the lawn, car parts everywhere, half a windshield lying there... holy CRAP!

Apparently a drunk plowed through, flipping the car onto it's roof in the middle of his front lawn a day or two before I stopped by. I couldn't cut due to the debris and the fact that insurance would need to stop by to take pics and such.

I called him and said "If you don't want me to mow your lawn any more, just SAY so!" LOL!

Sheesh. At this rate it will be July before I get him cut!

Duekster
05-16-2012, 01:13 AM
Heh. Get this one.
I picked up a client last season. He's a biweekly, but it's OK because his lawn really doesn't grow much.
At the beginning of this season, I took a drive by and noted that it wasn't quite ready for the first cut. A few days later he called...

CLIENT:
"Hey, thanks for cutting the lawn - it didn't really need it yet, but that's OK - I put your check out, but I see it's still here."

ME:
I didn't cut it.

CLIENT:
I thought that was odd that you'd cut it without calling, or leaving a bill after you cut... well, who the fnck cut it then?!!

ME:
You got me. I didn't think you'd want it cut yet, so I was going to call next week.

CLIENT:
Sonofabeotch... who the "bleep" cut my grass?!!! You know you're my man and I wouldn't hire someone else... what the... I'm gonna get to the bottom of this, but I want you to cut it in two weeks.

About two weeks later client calls...

CLIENT:
Those motherfnckers cut it AGAIN! I don't know who did it - no bill, or anything. I think they are supposed to be cutting the empty house next door!

ME:
You need to put up a sign that says "DO NOT CUT THE GRASS!"

CLIENT:
I apologize... I don't want you to be shorted - just come over next week and cut it even if it doesn't need it.

ME:
No problem, see you then!

The following week...

(OakNut drives up to client's house - AGAIN)

WTF???!!!

The whole lawn is DESTROYED! Fence broken, trees sheared off, tire tracks gouged into the lawn, car parts everywhere, half a windshield lying there... holy CRAP!

Apparently a drunk plowed through, flipping the car onto it's roof in the middle of his front lawn a day or two before I stopped by. I couldn't cut due to the debris and the fact that insurance would need to stop by to take pics and such.

I called him and said "If you don't want me to mow your lawn any more, just SAY so!" LOL!

Sheesh. At this rate it will be July before I get him cut!

:laugh: Loved this, made my day.

I really do not get the whole contract thing myself. What am I going to do, fight someone in court over 20 bucks if they do not want to pay?

I do my job and they pay. I get stiffed on first timers not my regular clients. I bill right away the first few times. I get to know the folks then start monthly billing.

ashgrove landscaping
05-16-2012, 01:51 AM
Yup time to take charge . I'm sick of the "oh i'm on social security and fixed income BS along with the "yeah i got out there with my push mower this week" BS Ya know what sorry Yer getting a bill for me showing up! Try that $h1t with the cable, phone or electric companies. Respect me or go fu% yourself ! You asked for the service, no pay up!

Duekster
05-16-2012, 02:33 AM
Yup time to take charge . I'm sick of the "oh i'm on social security and fixed income BS along with the "yeah i got out there with my push mower this week" BS Ya know what sorry Yer getting a bill for me showing up! Try that $h1t with the cable, phone or electric companies. Respect me or go fu% yourself ! You asked for the service, no pay up!

Maybe that is why they did not call?

Richard Martin
05-16-2012, 03:49 AM
Never mind. I changed the post.

Snapper Jack
05-16-2012, 05:51 AM
You feel better now:rolleyes: and when was the last time you budgeted your income for paying bills off a messly SS check?

herler
05-16-2012, 06:56 AM
This is what happens when you get certain folks stick a lawn mower in the trunk of their car and go driving around "looking," seems like they always end up targeting our accounts, some folks see nothing wrong with it but when it happens for the third time in the same day maybe you will see stars too, somehow the customer(s) see nothing wrong with it, they almost never call to let us know, the half of them lie about what happened (I am guessing this means they do know they did wrong by letting someone else mow it), I have lost accounts to these hacks because they tell the customer their regular Lco must not be doing a good job look at how tall the grass is (never mind I'm coming by in three hours), the customer later figures out their mistake but is too embarrassed to call me back, I have had folks let someone else cut it over a day (as in it's too long by Tuesday and I'm coming Wednesday but that's not soon enough but if I come Monday that's too soon or can I cut it lower or can I do it for $5 less), and honestly I'm going to cut this short but the list just goes on, and on.

SSmith
05-16-2012, 07:06 AM
This is why you have a contract. Even though the contract might not be worth much more than the paper it's written on, it will certainly deter people from doing this 99% of the time.

orangemower
05-16-2012, 08:11 AM

It's funny you mention that. I have a couple that are older but still are very active and she still has a job. He tells me that they might have to cut back because of their "fixed" income. Yeah right. He travels ALL the time on "business" to Philly and bought a mint Corvette! He complained about a $2 raise in price but still has me doing the lawn. He's cheap. He even told me to just blow the grass in the street because they (city) come by and clean with a sweeper. I obviously told him that's not my style.

MOturkey
05-16-2012, 09:25 AM
I have a bi-weekly, vacant property I mowed all last season. When I started up this spring, I drove by to check and see if it needed mowing, and it had already been mowed. Kind of ticked me off, but it was only a block or two out of my way, so I called the lady, who lives in another town, and left a message on her phone asking her to contact me if she no longer needs service.

She calls in a few days and says she has no idea who mowed, but that, yes, she wants me to mow. I've been doing it since with no problems. Still don't know who mowed, but I did notice one of the neighbors has a new Craftsman rider, so I'm wondering if he got home with his new mower and wanted to try her out. :)

Weekend cut easymoney
05-16-2012, 06:33 PM
This is why you have a contract. Even though the contract might not be worth much more than the paper it's written on, it will certainly deter people from doing this 99% of the time.

I agree, I worked without contracts for 10 years and the whole idea that I am committed for almost an entire year to mow on the same day every week, but my customer is not committed to me is crazy-

Landscape Poet
05-16-2012, 06:47 PM
It's funny you mention that. I have a couple that are older but still are very active and she still has a job. He tells me that they might have to cut back because of their "fixed" income. Yeah right. He travels ALL the time on "business" to Philly and bought a mint Corvette! He complained about a $2 raise in price but still has me doing the lawn. He's cheap. He even told me to just blow the grass in the street because they (city) come by and clean with a sweeper. I obviously told him that's not my style.

Anyone who give me the sob story of they are on a fixed income get a rude look from me and a question from me, isn't most of the people you know? I mean my wife gets paid a "salary" so her income is fixed and you paying your monthly part of my income so my income is fixed.
People explaining that they are on "fixed" income make me go WTF, because most people are.....but let me just tell the power company when they come to shut my power off.....wait you can't cut my power because Mrs. Jones is on a fixed income. I buy services and goods based off my income I do not see why some people seem to fail to understand that is how life works. :rolleyes:

Darryl G
05-16-2012, 06:55 PM
My trip charge is $30 and it's in my contract that I have the right to charge it if I am unable to cut the lawn for any reason. It's usually something like another contractor in my way, but occasionally I'll show up to find a lawn has already been mowed. Then I have a hole in my schedule that I may not be able to fill on short notice. You could always just mow it anyway too.

yardguy28
05-16-2012, 07:20 PM

yeah I know what you mean.

this is where I try to capitalize over my competition. by not charging extra because there's dog poop in the yard or an excessively high trip charge if I drive out and don't cut.

the way my route is set up everyone is "on the way". I drive maybe 15, 20 min to the first place in the morning and make a circle back to the shop. most places are 5 min apart from the first stop.

I gotta go by client B to get to client C so it's not really wasted time if I end up skipping client B.

Weekend cut easymoney
05-16-2012, 07:56 PM
Had a landscaping customer yesterday who asked me to take payments over 4 months on a sod job, because her mother is on a 'fixed' income (this is sod for her backyard)...the daughter who is a doctor asked me to do it as a favor to her (i don't know her at all)--this is for her backyard-

I suggested that they charge it to a credit card and make payments to the credit card company instead of me...she says that all they have is a debit card--...so next I suggested that they save the mone and I could do it in the winter when they have the money--

MOturkey
05-16-2012, 09:45 PM
Had a landscaping customer yesterday who asked me to take payments over 4 months on a sod job, because her mother is on a 'fixed' income (this is sod for her backyard)...the daughter who is a doctor asked me to do it as a favor to her (i don't know her at all)--this is for her backyard-

I suggested that they charge it to a credit card and make payments to the credit card company instead of me...she says that all they have is a debit card--...so next I suggested that they save the mone and I could do it in the winter when they have the money--

Aww man, don't you know professional people are feeling the recession too? :)

herler
05-16-2012, 11:39 PM
It's all fine and dandy until it happens three times in the same day but as irritating as I can find the affair I also find it absolutely essential to keep one's cool and go talk to the customer first because I don't always know what happened, but I do find it frustrating at times.

Duekster
05-16-2012, 11:59 PM
I know how to charge interest and get a contract. They will not even know they paid intrest.

and do her the favor.

TMlawncare
05-17-2012, 12:13 AM
Cutting grass isn't a specialized field and any Tom,Dick and Harry from the ghettos could fill your shoes.Good luck in collecting that 20.00:laugh:

Hvac is not a specialized field either. My stepfather runs a Hvac business. Hardly any schooling required, mostly on the job training as with other trades. Now someone practicing law, doctor, accountant. Now that is a specialized field not just a common trade.

Duekster
05-17-2012, 12:28 AM
Hvac is not a specialized field either. My stepfather runs a Hvac business. Hardly any schooling required, mostly on the job training as with other trades. Now someone practicing law, doctor, accountant. Now that is a specialized field not just a common trade.

That is real ignorance speaking there. HVAC is pretty hard. Ever heard of ASHRAE? How would you like to control the air flow and pressurization of a Hospital, common areas, patient rooms and operating rooms?

How about maintaining pressurization of a 60 story building. You want to know the logic and controls needed much less the math to under stand it all.

Get a grip. I cut grass and do irrigation because it is easy. No life threatening situations and emergency calls in the middle of the night.

You really have no clue. Sorry you have such a low opinion of your father in law.

herler
05-17-2012, 12:41 AM
Actually I taught myself everything there is to know about automotive A/C's and I have and can rebuild entire systems, risk and hospitals aside all a/c systems consist of the same components and once you learn one it isn't really that difficult, lawn and irrigation system maintenance also has its tricks and dangers such as running into the heat pump with the Ztr which combines the two industries instantly.

Nutsedge
05-17-2012, 02:31 AM
Im wondering to myself if the OP is a 17 year old and the lawn is that of his girlfriends parents. I cant believe anyone would let a single occurrence at a clients house like this make them feel entitled to being a jackass to someone that has hired them to do a service. In a business like this, customer service if probably the biggest part where you can really make an impression (lets get real here, were talking about lawn maintenance. There's not too many different ways to get the job done...). In today's economy/job market with the threat of job loss, lowering wages and financial uncertainty lawn car is hardly at the top of Americans "stuff to really worry about"n list.

How could you even think rationally that doing this would be in any way/shape/form beneficial to you? You do this for a living and it never occurred that perhaps a mistake was made and a mistake that could not be faulted to the home owner? The ONLY thing you could have gotten out of this was the feeling in your head that you were "telling them what time it was and you aint the guy that take crap from anyone" which in real life is not a good thing at all as it shows your mettle.

If I were that customer and was left a note like the one you said you left, you can bet your trailer you get an a#$ ripping from me over the phone at the very least, then id fire you, probably report you to the BBB and of course let everyone in my neighborhood/that I talk to know what lack of class and business skill you possessed.

You can also be assured that this will cost you much more than that $20 drive fee.

I can also see that there are quite a few people commenting that wouldn't earn my business as they too feel that making themselves feel bigger superceeds practicing proper business behavior.

SSmith
05-17-2012, 06:14 AM
Im wondering to myself if the OP is a 17 year old and the lawn is that of his girlfriends parents. I cant believe anyone would let a single occurrence at a clients house like this make them feel entitled to being a jackass to someone that has hired them to do a service. In a business like this, customer service if probably the biggest part where you can really make an impression (lets get real here, were talking about lawn maintenance. There's not too many different ways to get the job done...). In today's economy/job market with the threat of job loss, lowering wages and financial uncertainty lawn car is hardly at the top of Americans "stuff to really worry about"n list.

How could you even think rationally that doing this would be in any way/shape/form beneficial to you? You do this for a living and it never occurred that perhaps a mistake was made and a mistake that could not be faulted to the home owner? The ONLY thing you could have gotten out of this was the feeling in your head that you were "telling them what time it was and you aint the guy that take crap from anyone" which in real life is not a good thing at all as it shows your mettle.

If I were that customer and was left a note like the one you said you left, you can bet your trailer you get an a#$ ripping from me over the phone at the very least, then id fire you, probably report you to the BBB and of course let everyone in my neighborhood/that I talk to know what lack of class and business skill you possessed.

You can also be assured that this will cost you much more than that $20 drive fee.

I can also see that there are quite a few people commenting that wouldn't earn my business as they too feel that making themselves feel bigger superceeds practicing proper business behavior.

Almost every business utilizes an extra fee where something tangible isn't produced. It's a form of protection and perfectly acceptable. Cancellation, surcharge, consultation, etc.

Get Some...
05-17-2012, 08:17 AM

:dizzy:

BestImpressions99
05-17-2012, 12:08 PM
There is nothing wrong with having a charge for Anything really. I have one of my first non-mowing customers where I'm solely charging her for yard work. I told her my charge to do pickup and planting etc was $XX/hr. She wanted to burn a pile of the wood that I had piled up during the cleanup and told her in a jovial way that I'll make it worth her while and bring out my chainsaw and blower (leaves and trees we're taking down) and charge her the price for motorized cleanup work ($10 more/hr) to make it to where I'm not being paid that much money to just stand around. She aggreed.

Folks understand that you can't do everything for free. In this instance with that type of note I would expect not only non-payment of the sur-charge but being fired for how you approached. Not saying you will, but I would expect that looking in from the outside.

Patriot Services
05-17-2012, 01:20 PM

Oh no! Not the dreaded BBB threat and an azz ripping. If a customer raises their voice to me they are already looking at my backside. Especially when its something they did.
Posted via Mobile Device

Weekend cut easymoney
05-17-2012, 06:12 PM

I do believe in giving the customer the benefit of the doubt and being the bigger person...
i see a big difference in giving the customer the benefit of the doubt and bending over and taking anything that is thrown at me--Rude is not the way, however neither is the 'yes boss whatever you say sir'-its all a matter of tact and demeanor...
business skill is not equal to letting the customer waste your time and money as well as treating you poorly-
but yes, often it takes a bigger person to try and salvage a situation like this and certainly charging them without knowing what went on is not going to win friends and influence people

Weekend cut easymoney
05-17-2012, 06:16 PM
Aww man, don't you know professional people are feeling the recession too? :)

its a rough life!...I'd hate to be able to charge $250/hr

Get Some...
05-17-2012, 07:43 PM
The homeowner is a 45 year old single female physician.........

Nutsedge
05-17-2012, 10:47 PM
It's the risk one takes when starting a business. Acting like a fool will benefit no one in a situation like this, especially the business owner.
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
05-17-2012, 11:09 PM
When people tell me they're on a fixed income I ask them is they can fix mine for me.

BestImpressions99
05-21-2012, 11:48 AM
Get Some... it's been about a week, have you heard anything back from your customer yet? What happened with the cutting of the lawn? We'd like to hear (positive or negative).

Nutsedge
05-21-2012, 12:23 PM
When people tell me they're on a fixed income I ask them is they can fix mine for me.

I take it you have never had to be on a per-determined income before.

Patriot Services
05-21-2012, 12:43 PM

Sure and it has absolutely no bearing on the price I'm going to give you. Your fixed income isn't going to fix mine.
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
05-21-2012, 01:45 PM

A lot of seniors will tell you that they're on a fixed income and can't afford things...what they don't tell you is that over a lifetime of being a tightwad they've managed to put away a fortune that they have tied up in CDs or whatever. Yeah, their expenses may be more than their current income, but they could live to be 150 years old and not spend all they have saved. And even if that's not the case, how is their lack of financial planning my problem? I do give seniors a break to some degree, but like someone else mentioned, the trade-off is that I get to the work when it's convenient for me. I used to give a 20% senior discount which in hindsight I think was too much. And it seems that everyone claims to be a "Senior Citizen" now....by some standards (AARP) I'm one now. My breaks go to the elderly, not able bodied "seniors".

Then there's the "single mom" card. I had one fall cleanup customer pull this one on me. While I'm there doing the cleanup her daughter pulls up in a Lexus, with Jersey plates on it. What she failed to mention was that her kids were grown up!

herler
05-21-2012, 04:52 PM

What do you think my income is?

yardguy28
05-21-2012, 04:59 PM
I don't care what your income is or what your age is. my price is what it is for EVERYONE.

jrs.landscaping
05-21-2012, 06:54 PM

REALLY? Everyone is on a "fixed income." I make X and my wife makes X, together that is our income, and we live within that. We don't buy things we don't need or that we can't afford. If you are on a "fixed income" don't buy services you can't afford. I plow for some elderly people who are on SS. I charge them my minimum because they have worked all their life and don't have the means to take care of it themselves. That being said I run a business not a charity, if you can't afford me or my "crazy" :dizzy: trip charge pick up the phone and call the next guy, there are plenty of hacks willing to work for free but not this guy :waving:

yardguy28
05-22-2012, 04:36 PM
REALLY? Everyone is on a "fixed income." I make X and my wife makes X, together that is our income, and we live within that. We don't buy things we don't need or that we can't afford. If you are on a "fixed income" don't buy services you can't afford. I plow for some elderly people who are on SS. I charge them my minimum because they have worked all their life and don't have the means to take care of it themselves. That being said I run a business not a charity, if you can't afford me or my "crazy" :dizzy: trip charge pick up the phone and call the next guy, there are plenty of hacks willing to work for free but not this guy :waving:

sounds like charity to me.

everyone I work for pays full price. there is no discount for anything. doesn't matter if your 30 and fit or 90 with hip problems. if the job is $40 it's $40 for all.

Darryl G
05-22-2012, 04:51 PM
My elderly plowing customers pay my minimum too, but they are all in the same area and at the very end of my route, so their service isn't the best. Often they only get plowed once, whereas my other customers get plowed 2 or 3 times....it's a trade-off they're willing to make to save a few bucks and works out for both parties. I do have a soft spot for "little old ladies" and I'm not ashamed of that, lol.

Get Some...
05-22-2012, 06:15 PM
Check is in the mail.......:)
No dispute over the charges.

The 20's year old live at home unemployed son wants to earn the mowing $.
The csr.....40's year old single female doctor, is tired of paying his car payments/insurance/cell phone bill and giving him spending $.

:usflag:

yardguy28
05-22-2012, 06:31 PM
My elderly plowing customers pay my minimum too, but they are all in the same area and at the very end of my route, so their service isn't the best. Often they only get plowed once, whereas my other customers get plowed 2 or 3 times....it's a trade-off they're willing to make to save a few bucks and works out for both parties. I do have a soft spot for "little old ladies" and I'm not ashamed of that, lol.

guess I don't have soft spots.

everyone pays the same amounts. young, old, able, disabled, fixed income, social security, disability, family, friend, etc.

Get Some...
05-22-2012, 06:36 PM
guess I don't have soft spots.

everyone pays the same amounts. young, old, able, disabled, fixed income, social security, disability, family, friend, etc.

No merit badge for U. :laugh:

Duekster
05-22-2012, 06:50 PM
The homeowner is a 45 year old single female physician.........

The marrying type :laugh:

Landscape Poet
05-22-2012, 06:53 PM
Anyone who give me the sob story of they are on a fixed income get a rude look from me and a question from me, isn't most of the people you know? I mean my wife gets paid a "salary" so her income is fixed and you paying your monthly part of my income so my income is fixed.
People explaining that they are on "fixed" income make me go WTF, because most people are.....but let me just tell the power company when they come to shut my power off.....wait you can't cut my power because Mrs. Jones is on a fixed income. I buy services and goods based off my income I do not see why some people seem to fail to understand that is how life works. :rolleyes:

Welcome to the conversation guys!

jrs.landscaping
05-22-2012, 07:21 PM

Same thing, they have no where to go during the storm anyways. Anything over 6" I charge for two visits even if I only make one. Like I said, I still make money and they get a service they NEED not one because they are too lazy, but because they are physically unable to do it... a huge difference IMO.

LandscapemanFL
05-22-2012, 08:30 PM
Respect for the lawn guy is so low that the lawn guys dont even have a problem with it anymore.

Couldn't of said it better myself. I might even have to but that quote in my sig.

yardguy28
05-23-2012, 07:32 PM
No merit badge for U. :laugh:

bummer......:cry:

orangemower
05-23-2012, 07:41 PM
bummer......:cry:

Do you charge your parents 1/2 the price to cut the grass at their house since you live there too or do you charge them full price because they "own" the property?

Get Some...
05-23-2012, 07:42 PM
Do you charge your parents 1/2 the price to cut the grass at their house since you live there too or do you charge them full price because they "own" the property?

That be funny....:laugh:

yardguy28
05-23-2012, 07:47 PM
honestly they are charged full price.

Duekster
05-23-2012, 07:52 PM
I forgot what this thread is about

OakNut
05-23-2012, 07:52 PM
honestly they are charged full price.

I'd start looking for another son.

Duekster
05-23-2012, 07:57 PM

I bet he comes over for sunday diner and wants to wash his clothes too. :laugh:

orangemower
05-23-2012, 07:58 PM

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

orangemower
05-23-2012, 08:00 PM
I bet he comes over for sunday diner and wants to wash his clothes too. :laugh:

No, he lives in the basement. He probably makes his mother wash them for him.

Get Some...
05-23-2012, 08:08 PM
The son that stole my mowing lives in the csr's basement.....what a coincidence....

I wonder what he is charging her?

Darryl G
05-23-2012, 08:36 PM
Hmmm...I practically live in the basement too...if I had a couch down here I probably would...and it's my house. :laugh:

Charles
05-24-2012, 06:23 AM
I forgot what this thread is about

Yea, way off track on this one:dizzy: