PDA

View Full Version : Hustler Super Z Blade Bolts Breaking

jay_mc1
05-15-2012, 05:30 PM
I have 6 brand new 2012 Hustler Super Z's with the 72" rear discharage decks. Last week I had 3 bolts that hold the blades on break, and 1 the week before for a total of 4. Im curious if anyone else who is running a Hustler is having this problem. They are Grade 5 bolts. I have been using Hustler super z's for the past 7 years and have only broken 1 or 2 during that time, and with the new mowers I have already broken 4 this spring. They do have the Kawasaki FX1000 engines, So maybe it is contributed to the added horsepower driving the blades, or a bad batch of bolts. Just curious if anyone else has had this problem.

Mickhippy
05-15-2012, 07:52 PM
Never broken a blade bolt. What are you hitting?

Landscape Poet
05-15-2012, 08:27 PM
Never broken a blade bolt. What are you hitting?

I second this. The only thing I could think of is if you are breaking them while putting on new blades? If so don't do so with your impact wrench . :hammerhead:

agrostis
05-15-2012, 10:00 PM
I have only seen 1 broken blade bolt in 25 year's. That sound's like a bolt problem.

jay_mc1
05-16-2012, 12:01 PM
We mow commercial areas for an Elctric cooperative and Water districts. The sites are sometimes tore up pretty bad when the add or change stuff, but we stay out of the areas if they are that bad. What we hit recently were rocks that must have worked their way up from the freeze and thaw we get in south dakota. We have mowed the same areas for 6 years and knew the areas well. Im kind of thinking it might be because of the increased horsepower behind the blades, so when the blades do hit something the power causes the bolt to break. And maybe its just us hitting stuff this spring. If it continues to happen I will have to do a little more investigating.

doyles
05-16-2012, 08:43 PM
bought a new ferris 3100 last year it has a 72" deck and the 37hp kawasaki.
we mow city parks so hitting stuff we are all to famillar with.
we broke probaly 6 factory blade bolts off seems that you would hardly hit something and the bolts would brake.
so i took a sample to the store and replaced them with grade 8 bolts alot better.
but still if you hit somthing hard it will brake the bolt.
last thing when you put your blade bolt in make shure you torque them by hand.

weeze
05-16-2012, 11:55 PM
i've never broken a blade bolt in my life on any mower. this seems odd.

jay_mc1
05-17-2012, 12:28 AM
bought a new ferris 3100 last year it has a 72" deck and the 37hp kawasaki.
we mow city parks so hitting stuff we are all to famillar with.
we broke probaly 6 factory blade bolts off seems that you would hardly hit something and the bolts would brake.
so i took a sample to the store and replaced them with grade 8 bolts alot better.
but still if you hit somthing hard it will brake the bolt.
last thing when you put your blade bolt in make shure you torque them by hand.

Do you feel that the horse power of the mower had something to do with it, or the bolt itself?

Mickhippy
05-17-2012, 02:14 AM
The only way I can see a bolt breaking is forward momentum of the machine and the bolt catching some immovable object. I'd guess that object would have to be squarish so as to not let the bolt slide over top. Usually the blade will catch before the bolt.

What height are you cutting?

This is odd I admit. I've hit a lot of big stuff in the past and it's usually the blade that cops the brunt. Can you get off set blades so that the blade is same or similar level with the bolt? Obviously have to re think cut height but could be worth a shot.

Edit. Na, forget about the off set blade!
Posted via Mobile Device

doyles
05-17-2012, 07:53 AM
Do you feel that the horse power of the mower had something to do with it, or the bolt itself?

i think the hp has somthing to do with it.
before we had the 37 we had some exmarks 26hp liquid cooled and
when you whould hit somthing hard you would bend a blade or break a spindle.
but now with the 37hp it just breaks the stock blade bolts.
like i said since we switched the blade bolts over to grade 8 the only time a bolt broke was when someone hit i man hole cover.
i think grade 5 bolts are to soft.

JB1
05-17-2012, 08:01 AM
we have broke some on our 72 also, just seems to be the 72's. get in a funny spot and it'll snap off. hustler does have a washer coned deal now that protects the head that does help.

weeze
05-18-2012, 12:36 AM
i've hit some things and either the belt will slip or if it's something that stops the blade from rotating it just makes the engine die and you have to untangle or remove the object and start the mower back up.

stevesmowing
06-04-2012, 11:01 AM
I've never broken any of the bolts on my super Z. Could be a torque issue when putting them on or taking them off. Isn't 1 of those going to be left handed if its a rear discharge machine?

JB1
06-04-2012, 01:36 PM
I've never broken any of the bolts on my super Z. Could be a torque issue when putting them on or taking them off. Isn't 1 of those going to be left handed if its a rear discharge machine?

it's only on the 72" mowers. where the problem is.

eellc
08-03-2012, 04:28 PM
I have two 72" super z that I have had for 3 months. One rear discharge and one side discharge. We have broken about 10 per mower. Hustler has replaced the spindles and we have only had 2 breaks since, it’s been about a two weeks. We have 6 older super z 60" cuts and have never broke one. Funny, I literally just got a call while typing this that another one broke. Maybe I spoke too soon.

jay_mc1
08-06-2012, 10:53 PM
Eellc,
I'm glad to hear that I am not the only one with this problem. Did hustler replace the spindles under warranty? Did they happen to say what was different about the new spindles?

eellc
08-07-2012, 09:17 PM
Yes they did replace them under warranty. The distributer in Florida did not say what the problem was just that I was not the only person with the problem. The two 2012 models do have a lot more torch than my older models. I had my order with smaller engines 31 hp Kawi. I have had some other issues. I had them in the shop more than I have had them cutting grass. I’m very disappointed with the response on them. I had one in the shop for two weeks before they sent replacement spindles. I have bought five hustlers this year and I think I’m done with them. My orders next year will be a different brand.

JB1
08-07-2012, 09:29 PM
the part that ticked me off was Hustler saying there was no problem, yeah sure.

eellc
08-07-2012, 10:07 PM
yeah my issue is the response more than anyting.

TLS
08-07-2012, 10:21 PM
Never, in over 30 years of mowing have I broke a blade bolt.

I've had my SuperZ TOP spindle nut come loose, dropping the entire blade and spindle shaft into the grass! <----Horrible design BTW

Wonder if this is why eXmark went with the splined blade adapter?

puppypaws
08-14-2012, 08:47 AM
This is a very interesting thread, one I honestly never expected to read. I've put many hours on Bobcat and Hustler Super Z mowers and have never broken a blade bolt. Since someone also mentioned breaking bolts on a Ferris, I'm wondering if the bolts came from the same vendor and are possibly flawed?