PDA

View Full Version : Estimating for pruning shrubs

weaver_b
12-22-2002, 05:32 PM
Hey Guys,
I'm curious how others estimate/bid pruning shrubs.

gogetter
12-22-2002, 06:04 PM
For me it's just looking at the job and guesstimating the time it will take and multiply that time by hourly rate. Take everything into consideration, tools to be used, access, clean up, removal of debris.

I know that others have mentioned a set price for small, medium and large shrubs. I see too many variables to set a price like that, but if it works for them, who am I to argue.

weaver_b
12-22-2002, 06:16 PM
gogetter,

I'm fairly new in this business and am having a difficult time
guestimating. How would you guestimate a 200' row of Burford
hollies that are about 3-4' tall?

gogetter
12-22-2002, 06:40 PM
Oh boy. Without seeing it I couldn't even begin to guess. That's one thing I'm not too good at, guessing off of a description.
That's why I always have to tell customers/callers that I need to come out and look at it.

Your time will also depend on your equipment. 30" trimmers compared to 20' trimmers are going to speed things up. Clippings falling into grass where it's easier to rake them up as opposed to falling into stone or mulch where you have to be a bit more delicate removing them and not the mulch.

Are they overgrown or just touching them up?

Access, are they against a structure (building, fence) where it will be hard to get to the back? Are they far from truck/trailer where you'll have to drag tarpfuls to trailer?

How much will it cost you to dump debris? How long of drive to dump?

All these are things I consider when I look at a job.

Best I can suggest is, if you've done ANY trimming before, even at your own house. Think how long that took and how big of a job that was. Then compare that to this job and go from there.

Good luck.

DLS1
12-22-2002, 07:41 PM
I asked this question a few months ago. I got some good answers. Use the Seach icon at the top of the page and search for 'hedge'.

Likestomow
12-23-2002, 12:24 AM
weaver_b --- if these hollies are individual bushes, I'd charge $3 each because I could do one in 3 minutes or less if there was no clean up. If you have to remove the clippings, I'd charge $5 each.

If the plants are already shaped into a hedge, then I'd charge $1 per lineal foot ($200), and would include cleanup also.