PDA

View Full Version : Got stuck on a roof today!!!!!

LAWNS AND MOWER
12-22-2002, 11:10 PM
Here's the scene. Pull up to a gutter cleaning job today. Wind is blowing pretty hard. Get ladder out, get up on roof and begin cleaning out gutters on the other side of the house. All of a sudden, I hear a loud crashing noise. Discovered that the wind has blown my ladder to the ground.

Lessons to be learned.

1. Don't clean gutters in the wind.
2. If you must clean gutters in the wind, either pull ladder up onto roof with you, or make sure you have your cell phone with you.

GLS
12-22-2002, 11:12 PM
Ha! Never had that happen before. How did you get down?

bubble boy
12-22-2002, 11:20 PM
gutter cleaning for us is one of those tasks we try to do in pairs, for safety, like chainsaw work.

one or two stories?

crazygator
12-22-2002, 11:23 PM
I never offer cleaning gutters. I just tell them insurance wont let me off the ground and on their roof. I think its too risky, but thats just me.

Glad you got down. Did you just go down the chimney like.......oh you know who? :D

beck
12-22-2002, 11:29 PM
My neighbour got stranded on his roof several years ago, some kids came by and took the ladder down on him. If I remember correctly he was up ther for over an hour.

lawncare3
12-23-2002, 12:56 AM
My neighbour got stranded on his roof several years ago, some kids came by and took the ladder down on him. If I remember correctly he was up ther for over an hour.
That was too funny! lol lmao

rvsuper
12-23-2002, 12:57 AM
I'll tell ya...Kids these days:rolleyes:

Darb
12-23-2002, 01:05 AM
You know the same thing happened to Bob the Builder... if you don't know who Bob the Builder is then chances are you don't have kids. Let me further say that I can't stand that program.

jeffex
12-23-2002, 04:38 AM
I have a pry bar that has a U shape at one end. Its used for prying out nails. I hammer it into the ground so the U goes over the last rung at the bottom. It prevents kick out and only takes a minute to do. I aso tie a rope around the chimney to hold onto for safety. It makes the customer feel safer about you also.

weve
12-23-2002, 07:46 AM
Been there--done that; but only once. I got the attention of some construction workers a half block away and they reset my ladder.

1stclasslawns
12-23-2002, 09:16 AM
Its relly a simple thing called a bungee to keep the ladder from falling. Just bungee it to the gutter.

One of my fellow firefighters after his ladder falling jumped off of his roof. 2 metel plates and somthing like 15 screws later his foot was back into proper position. He may not be able to return to the FD though. A carrer ending mistake for him.

Jim

Gravely_Man
12-23-2002, 09:25 AM
That really sucks. It could have started raining and that would have made it much worse. I am glad that it appears to have ended safely for you.

Gravely_Man

bob
12-23-2002, 03:16 PM
Are you still up there? If so, we'll come over to help. If not, how did you get down?

fblandscape
12-23-2002, 03:38 PM
Cleaning gutters is definately a 2 person job due to the heights involved, and lack of security. I once worked at a place where in order to clean the gutters, ropes had to be draped around the chimneys and the laborers would have to climb up the rope to get to the roof.

LAWNS AND MOWER
12-23-2002, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by bob
Are you still up there? If so, we'll come over to help. If not, how did you get down?
Yes, I'm still up here and I'm starting to get a little hungry!!!! I was stuck for about 5 mins. There's a apartment complex next to where I was working, so I new it wouldn't be that long before I could flag someone down.

rodfather
12-23-2002, 05:16 PM
Sounds kind of like locking your keys in your vehicle...you only have to do it once and you probably never make that mistake ever again.

BTW, when you lock your keys in your vehicle, 99% of the time the engine is running. If for some reason it's not, won't matter...the headlights are on...LOL.

Been there, done that.