PDA

View Full Version : What is everyone using for hedge trimmers?

crazygator
12-23-2002, 12:33 AM
So, what is everyone using for hedge trimmers? I currently have a Stihl HS-45 and a Shindaiwa T-230 with articulate head. While I like both units, I think the Stihl is set up for more of a rough trim instead of a finish job. Especially for a fine needle type hedge or bush. What do you use that is great for these types of jobs?
I havent had too many in the past, mostly holly's around here, but I can see it growing. I have more and more asking about this service and want equipment that will do the job in a timely manner plus leave a nice smooth and clean cut as well.

Thanks for your reponses! :D

2 man crew
12-23-2002, 12:52 AM
I've got a few. But my favorite is Tanaka, Real smooth at full throttle. I also like the Shindiawa M230 for all the tall shrubs.

bubble boy
12-23-2002, 12:54 AM
we have an HS45 just wish the tank was bigger.

personally i have no quality of trim complaints.

Wesley's Lawn
12-23-2002, 01:08 AM
I use a echo HC-1500, Very nice like the power it has.

IBGreen
12-23-2002, 01:09 AM
Echo here too!:cool:

HarryD
12-23-2002, 01:38 AM
Redmax

lawncare3
12-23-2002, 02:42 AM
I use a manual one- no gas required:)

gogetter
12-23-2002, 03:32 AM
I also have the Shin T-230 hedge trimming attachment. It's great for that hard to reach stuff, but it sure kills my shoulders after awhile. But they get the job done and that's all that matters.

I also have the Echo HC1500's. These are pretty good. I'll use them on smaller hedges.

But for the most part I use my Tanaka's because they have a slightly longer bar on them. 24" compared to the Echos 20".

Someday I'll probably get a nice 30" bar from one of the manufacturers, not sure which one yet.

But to answer your question about quality of cut, hmmm, hard to say. I think mine all cut about the same.

I know it's an overly obvious question, but are your blades sharp?

Sammy
12-23-2002, 04:59 AM
Stihl ! :)

Doc Pete
12-23-2002, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by crazygator
What do you use that is great for these types of jobs?
I have more and more asking about this service and want equipment that will do the job in a timely manner plus leave a nice smooth and clean cut as well :D

Since you are finally bringing your hedge trimming theories into the Twentieth Century, you want the "mid size" pole pruner. End of story. Mine is an Echo, but others are starting to make this size.
OH, and the machine is not running, or I'd have my hearing and eye protection on.
:p

GarPA
12-23-2002, 08:34 AM
how about your toes? ...heh heh

FrankenScagMachines
12-23-2002, 08:49 AM
Echo HCR-1500 with articulating handle and Echo SRM-2400 split boom unit with extended hedge trimmer, looks much like Switchless's unit but with a split in it and a trimmer handle on it. I want to get an edger for it next year as well. The HCR1500 is I think maybe 22" or so bar and the split boom's trimmer is something like 18" I think (both double sided). I use it for pruning small trees sometimes as well. Since my chainsaw is electric and I don't ever use it these do fine for anything up to 1" because I can chew on it. Easier than to get out the hand pruners and ladder or chainsaw, ext. cord and ladder for a quick lop. Mom has a 18" Black and Decker electric double sided hedgers that I like the weight and power of them. Too bad the gas ones are so heavy after a while! Well the Echo's run great and have plenty of power and cut good too they start right up on first or second pull. Sound like chainsaws :cool:
Eric

heybruck34
12-23-2002, 08:52 AM
Just bought an Echo HC-1500 in November. Much better than the Weedeater brand set I was used to using...

GarPA
12-23-2002, 09:02 AM
Also have the Echo with the articulating handle....this feature is very nice...saves you some strain on the arms when you have different angles to work....also have the pole pruner that BushHog mentioned...its just ok in my opinion.

I hate hedge clippers...they might be the most dangerous tool we use.....be careful...many a pair of pants and a couple fingers have the scars to prove it

LLMSERVICE
12-23-2002, 09:07 AM
Husqvarna H60 with an articulating handle. Great option.

No complaints except the blade could be a little longer.

grassdaddy
12-23-2002, 09:09 AM
stihl hs45,love the trimmers,but hate using them.hate the clean-up afterwards.:p

Sooners
12-23-2002, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Switchless@aol.com
Since you are finally bringing your hedge trimming theories into the Twentieth Century
:p

Switchless, isn't this the twenty-first century? I would not have wanted to trim hedges in 1902. No telling what they used.

But on a serious note crazygator, I also have the same problem with those fine needle type hedges and sometimes I end up using hand trimmers (definitely 20th century technology). I too seek the infinite wisdom of those who have conquored those buggers.

wriken
12-23-2002, 09:18 AM
All kinds of hedge trimmers I have are MTD Pro models. Been working good for me.

crazygator
12-23-2002, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Sooners
I also have the same problem with those fine needle type hedges and sometimes I end up using hand trimmers

Same here. Just wondered if hand trimming is the way. It isnt a problem, just wondered from others in how they are getting the job done!

1stclasslawns
12-23-2002, 10:19 AM
I use the echo hc 1700 it has the 21.5 cc engine and about an 24" shaft. Not as long as switchless'es but same moter.

Jim

darronb
12-23-2002, 10:56 AM
As far as hedge trimmers go I like Maruyama. The blades on the Maruyama units just make this machine have super clean cuts comparedto the other brands on the market.

Doc Pete
12-23-2002, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Sooners
Switchless, isn't this the twenty-first century? I would not have wanted to trim hedges in 1902. No telling what they used.

But on a serious note crazygator, I also have the same problem with those fine needle type hedges and sometimes I end up using hand trimmers (definitely 20th century technology). I too seek the infinite wisdom of those who have conquored those buggers.

OK......I'm an $*******:p I figure I get one of those a year;) FWIW, I actually have two pruners, both Echo. The one in the picture is for everything but the really high stuff. Then, I have as Bushboy said, the splitboom type which is about 2 feet longer. OK, now, what I do is use one head for the heavy and first cut trimming. Then, I use the other head only for final trimming. "THAT" head is sharp and the blades are tightened as far as possible until that rub each other just a bit. It seems the key to the "clean cut" when trimming is tight blades, besides being sharp. However, if you use the trimmer for heavy stuff, the blades start to "curl" and even though they are tight, the edges don't actually touch each as in a "scissors type cut", and that leaves those ragged edge.
Pete

Shuter
12-23-2002, 12:24 PM
I also use stihl. 1 year old, but still as good as new. Only problem is a small fuel tank.

mklawnman
12-23-2002, 12:27 PM
I use a Echo HR 1500. Might be looking into a hedge trimmer for my Split boom and also a tree prunier for it.
One problem with the 1500, is if you are reaching up higher with the clippers the exhaust blows down on you, so you smell like 2cycle all day.
Matt

Doc Pete
12-23-2002, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by mklawnman
IOne problem with the 1500, is if you are reaching up higher with the clippers the exhaust blows down on you, so you smell like 2cycle all day.
Matt

Been there done that... for too many years:p Plus it's real bad on your back, and your arms. Look, my "First" pic. at how comfortable the hand postions are to hold the pole trimmer.

And no exhaust, even when doing low stuff. New picture.......

mklawnman
12-23-2002, 12:42 PM
Oh yeah forgot to mention back aches after the day is done too.
Hey switchless, how much for one of those extended boom trimmers?? Im guessing they would be alot more manuverable than my SB2400?? THat trimmer looks alot longer than mine on my 1500 also, which is always helpfull too when doing the bigger size shrubs.
Matt

Doc Pete
12-23-2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by mklawnman
Oh yeah forgot to mention back aches after the day is done too.
Hey switchless, how much for one of those extended boom trimmers?? Im guessing they would be alot more manuverable than my SB2400?? THat trimmer looks alot longer than mine on my 1500 also, which is always helpfull too when doing the bigger size shrubs.
Matt

I think the splitboom attachment is about $189. I also went for a package with the PAS 24 split boom setup. I bought the trimmer, the small culitator and the chainsaw pruner. The cultivator works great for turning over flower beds and the chainsaw works great for anything under about 10 inches.
Pete

mklawnman
12-23-2002, 12:54 PM
Cool Switchless, ill keep that in mind.
Thanks
Matt

Nick
12-23-2002, 04:37 PM
Redmax. Notice on this one the tight blades. I like the pole style better then the hand. It lets you stand away from the plant and see what you are doing.

Blessed 1
12-23-2002, 05:03 PM
I'm using Echo HC-1500. Love them! #1 on list for 2003 is Echo boom type trimmer with swivel hedge trimmer attatchment!:D

Doc Pete
12-23-2002, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Nick
Redmax. Notice on this one the tight blades. I like the pole style better then the hand. It lets you stand away from the plant and see what you are doing.

Yup, they're just better, easier and let's you reach high and low without bending over.
Pete

Toroguy
12-23-2002, 06:06 PM
I was searching a few days ago and came across switchless's prior posts for that type of trimmer. He didn't get alot of response? I knew it was for me right away. I have shied away from hedge work because of the sore back factor.

The redmax looks very similar.

Shindaiwa has one, but the extension is similar in length to a string trimmer. The switchless version is like a "sawed off" trimmer, great for most everything.

Alot of the trimmers are becoming multi-function. A pole saw, trimmer, edger, hedge trimmer, etc. just switch the tip.

One company gets a good idea and all the others imitate...kinda like lawnsite!

The photos really help see the light.

Mowwithhustler's
12-23-2002, 10:43 PM
STIHL

Likestomow
12-23-2002, 11:25 PM
Get one with the exhaust on the right side.

Sharpen it twice a year with a 4-1/2 angle grinder (takes me about 15 minutes with the blades on).

I sure like my Tanaka THT-2120 because it is high powered, very smooth running, and lightweight. I'm looking to buy another one.

Doc Pete
12-23-2002, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Likestomow
Get one with the exhaust on the right side.
I sure like my Tanaka THT-2120 because it is high powered, very smooth running, and lightweight. I'm looking to buy another one.

Please look at the picture again. It doesn't matter "where the exhaust exits, since the motor is "behind" you, instead of "in your face". Plain and simple, if you didn't know, using a "chainsaw style" hedge trimmer, is like using a non-motorized push style "Reel" mower to cut grass.
Pete

imalandscper
12-24-2002, 12:22 AM
Definitely Tanaka.....Beautiful machine...I use different brands for different applications.....Echo for whippers, edgers and blowers, tanaka for hedge trimmers, stihl for chain saws. Scag and Bobcats for mowers.......i swear by all of them!

Happy Cutting and LET IT SNOW!!!!

imalandscper
12-24-2002, 12:31 AM
Switchless,

That looks like a pretty unconfortable position in pic 2.... and why such a heavy machine for pruning a small bush? The lighter the tool the easier and the less wear and tear on your body...Not to mention the fatigue. Working all day with that would be more truoble than it is worth. Of course good for big bush but for small ones? i would rather use a lighter machine and smaller than have to lug aroudn that machine all day. The right tool for the right job is what i always live by...But then again that is just me so.

Happy Cuttings and LET IT SNOW!!!!!

Doc Pete
12-24-2002, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by imalandscper
Switchless,

That looks like a pretty unconfortable position in pic 2.... and why such a heavy machine for pruning a small bush? The lighter the tool the easier and the less wear and tear on your body...Not to mention the fatigue. Working all day with that would be more truoble than it is worth. Of course good for big bush but for small ones? i would rather use a lighter machine and smaller than have to lug aroudn that machine all day. The right tool for the right job is what i always live by...But then again that is just me so. Happy Cuttings and LET IT SNOW!!!!!

Well, to each his own. All I can say is, I've used your machine for a few years, and of course, used the other. After using both, for me, there is no comparision. So, having to bend over to do those small shrubs, getting smoke in my face, hold my one arm out in front of me with my wrist turned, holding the weight of the whole machine out in front of me instead of a balanced machine that doesn't put and strain on my back, just works better for me. FWIW, just how do you trim a 4 foot high hedge that's 5 feet deep, 200 feet long and you can only trim from one side??? Also, the side that you can't trim the top from is because the hedge is on the edge a 6 foot wall.........
Pete

TurfPro
12-26-2002, 08:36 PM
Switchless,

I can't tell from the pix, but does your Echo have the articulating head?
My Hedge trimmers just took a puke today(in the middle of a job no less) and I've been pricing the Echo HCA2400 and the Husky 325HD........ any thoughts?
Thanks

nelbuts
12-26-2002, 10:44 PM
I use Robyn, I have one unit that is 8 years old and is used just about everyday.

Also, have the echo with the pivioting head and extended handle. and for the really tall jobs I have the hege trimmer attachment that fits the Power Pruner chainsaw. Sometimes it is a load but works great on those 12" heges and such.

jason r.
12-26-2002, 11:17 PM
I use the Echo HC-1500 and a Echo SRM2100SB with the articulating hedge trimmer attachment.

I bought the HC-1500 first and like it for the small hedges. The attachment for the split boom trimmer is great for the high ones and also for trimming ground covers. Don't know what I did before I bought it! I just wish they were a little lighter.

MikeLT1Z28
12-26-2002, 11:24 PM
i use Sithl HS-80's but when i have something up high to do i usually beg Hoss for his articulating ones for the day. can't remember who said it (nick?), the pole trimmers you can see better when you are working.

TurfPro
12-26-2002, 11:35 PM
Hmmm,, I noticed on Stihl's website that they sell JUST the articulating head to mount on your current Stihl trimmer (FS 85?).I wonder if it would be compatable with my Husqvarna trimmers???

I've never looked closely at the "business end" of a trimmer to compare two different brands.........

MikeLT1Z28
12-26-2002, 11:53 PM
that's what i borrow from 65hoss on occasion. i'm not sure if they'd work on not, but the fitting on the end of the shaft or cable (cable driven trimmers aren't recommended) has to fit firmly in the attachment or it won't work at all.

TurfPro
12-27-2002, 08:34 AM
Thanks Mike,

65Hoss,,,you wouldn't happen to remember what yours cost do ya?

Doc Pete
12-27-2002, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by TurfPro
Switchless,

I can't tell from the pix, but does your Echo have the articulating head?
My Hedge trimmers just took a puke today(in the middle of a job no less) and I've been pricing the Echo HCA2400 and the Husky 325HD........ any thoughts?
Thanks

Many of the guy's are using the articulated head. I don't. For me, it's just heavier and the cut length is smaller. However, guy's still love them. I'd check the length of cut and see what you want.
Pete

Clay
12-28-2002, 12:03 AM
Pete,

Sure sounds like words of experience backing up what you write... :-)

For those of you looking for a split boom type machine with all the atachments... I have run the echo PAS-260 for the last couple of years... I originally thought it would be my backup unit, but it worked so well I have been using as my main machine... I mainly use the hedger and the articulating hedger... this engine has been a tremendous performer and for 35 more dollars you get 2cc more than the 240 without adding any weight. It has worked so well that I bought the echo line trimmer with the same engine.

I live on the Oregon coast, but buy all my equipment from Jeff at Alamia.com in Colorado... http://alamia.com/dir/127.html This is a link to the multi-purpose power units... (hope this isn't against any rules... is it?)

And yes Pete, I agree that the articulator does add more weight if you don't really need it (a lot more $$$ too), but I use it for ground cover which as you know is killer on the back with a regular hedger....

One last thing... I do like how the Tanaka runs, but I switched back to echo because of the right side exhaust port on the Tanaka... the way I use it, it was blowing in my face too much...

Take Care, Clay

Doc Pete
12-28-2002, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Clay
I use it for ground cover which as you know is killer on the back with a regular hedger....Take Care, Clay

I can't argue with that, either.:p Never thought of using the pruner to ground cover. Maybe that's why I hate ground cover:p
Pete

Grass Master
12-28-2002, 01:15 AM
All Echo units here. HC-1500's are great but the HCA-2400 articulating head extended shaft units are the best. real time savers.