PDA

View Full Version : Ticks

CAPT Stream Rotar
05-17-2012, 09:29 PM
Back to saftey..

Had 2 dog ticks on the nape of my neck today.

Shaved off the old top again.

It feels good to get back into summer mode...

Wet_Boots
05-17-2012, 09:36 PM
now put a coat of turtle wax on it. :)

DanaMac
05-17-2012, 09:48 PM
I've never even seen a tick. My dogs have never had them either. But I hear this is a bad year for them out here.

CAPT Stream Rotar
05-17-2012, 09:56 PM
correct dana its was mild winter...

Mike Leary
05-17-2012, 09:58 PM
Shaved off the old top again.

It feels good to get back into summer mode...

No pics, please.

agrostis
05-17-2012, 10:00 PM
Dog tick = Brown tick, The one that carry's lyme disease is the deer tick, and lyme disease is no joke. That one is much smaller than the brown tick.

You are right that this is going to be a bad year, i caught 4 brown tick's on me within 10 minute's last week. That's never happened before.

1idejim
05-17-2012, 10:08 PM
correct dana its was mild winter...

i have working dogs and ticks are constant companions. a friend of mine grazes from the hollister hills to timberline and he says they're super thick this year. watch for deer ticks they carry lime.
Posted via Mobile Device

avernon0112
05-18-2012, 09:46 PM
I was working on a valve that was stuck open 2 weeks ago. I threw my hat off in the grass and when i was finished I put it back on. A few minutes later i felt something crawling all over me. Took my hat off and there was 75+ seed ticks in my hat! I felt odd asking one of the lawn crew guys to pick them out of my head.

The same thing happened to another one of my guys last week.

hunterpreferred
05-18-2012, 10:42 PM
I just fininshed a 60 day course of IV antibiotics for Lyme disease, then I get to go back for more testing in June. Ticks are no Joke, Please check your self every day. Lyme disease is not fun

AI Inc
05-20-2012, 08:12 AM
Did a 15 minute call in Harvard mass. Changed 3 spray head nozzles in the shrubs. Within an hr I pulled 12 ticks off of me.

FIMCO-MEISTER
05-20-2012, 10:34 AM
Haven't seen any ticks in Montana. 3rd biggest state in the union and only a million folks. Come here and be tick free.

BrandonV
05-20-2012, 12:39 PM
i wish they made frontline or something similar for us humans

Mike Leary
05-20-2012, 12:43 PM
Scary critters! Is there a pill (like for bee stings) that can be taken immediately after being bitten, or is it a hit the clinic right now sort of deal?

FIMCO-MEISTER
05-20-2012, 12:48 PM

I'm convinced frontline and all these new age vet mEds are causing a huge increase in the number of dogs dieing from cancer. A insect poison the stays in the body for a month or longer? No way Jose I take anything like that.

Wet_Boots
05-20-2012, 02:13 PM
Scary critters! Is there a pill (like for bee stings) that can be taken immediately after being bitten, or is it a hit the clinic right now sort of deal?just eat a Shell No-Pest Strip once a week and no bug bites :)

greenmonster304
05-20-2012, 02:27 PM
Scary critters! Is there a pill (like for bee stings) that can be taken immediately after being bitten, or is it a hit the clinic right now sort of deal?

Lymes is a tough disease to diagnose. Some times you get bit by a tick and you have no symptoms for months or years. Sometimes you get bit and get a nasty bullseye rash and that's it. Many symtoms look like other diseases and sometimes it takes months for Lymes to show up in a blood test.
Posted via Mobile Device

agrostis
05-20-2012, 03:28 PM

You know that frontline is a insecticide that is in a animal's blood ? Don't take that wrong, that's a great product, it work's. If you can get flea's to quit biting your animal's, that's big. Between that and rimadyl (for arthritis), it's made my life easier. But they are hard on your dog's.

agrostis
05-20-2012, 03:32 PM

There is no pill you can take. There is no cure for Lyme disease, you will have that bug with you for life. They can only treat the symptom's.

agrostis
05-20-2012, 03:34 PM
Haven't seen any ticks in Montana. 3rd biggest state in the union and only a million folks. Come here and be tick free.

I don't think i could take those winter's.

FIMCO-MEISTER
05-20-2012, 04:31 PM
I've grown to like them. Makes me feel better about wasting time here. The thing about winter in Montana is you can always put on enough clothes to eventually be warm. As opposed to summers in Dallas where you can't take enough clothes off to get cool.

Have I mentioned I had my fabulous career derailed by west Nile virus?

agrostis
05-20-2012, 05:07 PM
West Nile virus is one of the reason's i moved away from Savannah GA. If you have one mosquito on you here, you had ten on you is Savannah. I'm sure there are some mosquito's in Montana but i'll bet it's not the problem it is in the south.

DanaMac
05-20-2012, 05:41 PM
You know that frontline is a insecticide that is in a animal's blood ? Don't take that wrong, that's a great product, it work's. If you can get flea's to quit biting your animal's, that's big. Between that and rimadyl (for arthritis), it's made my life easier. But they are hard on your dog's.
I had my dog on rimadyl and it screwed him up. Very lethargic, and throwing up from it. Tramadal (?) was almost as bad. Might try some prednisone soon. He can't walk up stairs anymore.
Posted via Mobile Device

agrostis
05-20-2012, 06:10 PM
I had my dog on rimadyl and it screwed him up. Very lethargic, and throwing up from it. Tramadal (?) was almost as bad. Might try some prednisone soon. He can't walk up stairs anymore.
Posted via Mobile Device

I tried prednisone, it didn't do anything, and it still cause's liver damage. I know exactly what you mean when you say that your dog can't climb stair's, i hated that. That is why i used rimadyl. I didn't see any of those side effect's. But the vet said it would cause kidney damage. It's a rough choice.

1idejim
05-20-2012, 11:37 PM
On average my dogs only last 5 years. doobie made 15 by staying out of the way and doing her job. dogs are cool, they make the best out of what they can, love unconditionally and know when their time is over. traits that most humans lack.
Posted via Mobile Device

FIMCO-MEISTER
05-20-2012, 11:44 PM
You can leave your wife and dog in a hot car and only one will be happy to see you when you come back.

Tramadol has been a miracle drug for me. I've taken two a day for 7 years now.

Without A Drought
05-21-2012, 09:24 PM
I tried all those with my dog. They all worked for a period, but eventually it was just time. she lived a long life, 15. and for a golden that's like 50.
Havent gotten another one yet. that was 4 years ago. i've been thinking about either another golden or maybe a german shephard. though, i'll prolly just get a mutt this time.
pg

FIMCO-MEISTER
05-21-2012, 09:46 PM
Post a pic when you get it. Mutts are awesome. I wouldn't trade beau for any dog I've had and I'm his third owner.

CAPT Stream Rotar
05-21-2012, 10:19 PM
beau is a pretty sweet dog.

peter is it a boxer?

FIMCO-MEISTER
05-21-2012, 11:04 PM
No but he may have some. I'd say he has a little staffordshire terrier and some hound based on his nose shape and sniffing prowess. Perfect size. Exactly 30lbs.

Duekster
05-21-2012, 11:08 PM
Tramadol has been a miracle drug for me. I've taken two a day for 7 years now.

Two things are better. Damitall and DemerallIhave

Mike Leary
05-21-2012, 11:11 PM

What problem are those drugs for?

Duekster
05-21-2012, 11:14 PM
What problem are those drugs for?

Damitall is general use daily, Dereralligot is only to keep my best firends away

Mike Leary
05-21-2012, 11:16 PM
Damitall is general use daily, Dereralligot is only to keep my best firends away

:laugh::laugh::laugh::waving:

FIMCO-MEISTER
05-21-2012, 11:36 PM

I'll ask the doc. I'd like to change my morning pill cocktail a little.

Duekster
05-21-2012, 11:44 PM
I'll ask the doc. I'd like to change my morning pill cocktail a little.

Just swallow the Listerine send me the tramadol. :laugh:

cgrant711
01-19-2014, 01:17 AM
Dang I know this is from last year, but taking tramadol 2 times a day seems crazy to me, of course I don't have any pain I suffer from and only have a 1 time prescription for it., but I've heard it can be addicting, but if it works why not and isn't hurting anything. I love the stuff though, got prescribed some in July and only use it occasionally but makes me want to work the entire day or I feel bad, since I'm so energized.
Posted via Mobile Device