PDA

View Full Version : The countdown has begun....

Florida Gardener
05-17-2012, 11:20 PM
till nov 1 lol....its been rainy and humid here this week so summer has officially started. Planning on getting enough work this year to have 2-3 guys working for me....really want to start growing the biz rather than working in the biz....

Landscape Poet
05-17-2012, 11:26 PM
till nov 1 lol....its been rainy and humid here this week so summer has officially started. Planning on getting enough work this year to have 2-3 guys working for me....really want to start growing the biz rather than working in the biz....

Apparently we think in a similar nature as I just had the countdown thought in my head at the start of the week and remember a similar thread I think you started last year.

easy-lift guy
05-18-2012, 04:06 AM

That is a good goal to work towards. Just remember " the point of diminishing returns". Understand that regardless how many more accounts you have or employees you hirer you or anyone else will only make a certain $$$$ amount and that will be it. Your overhead will consume the balance. Unless your planning on retiring in the near future say 3 to 5 years you will be always working in he "biz".
easy-lift guy

MR-G
05-18-2012, 08:02 AM
[QUOTE=easy-lift guy;4415513]That is a good goal to work towards. Just remember " the point of diminishing returns". Understand that regardless how many more accounts you have or employees you hirer you or anyone else will only make a certain $$$$ amount and that will be it. Your overhead will consume the balance. Unless your planning on retiring in the near future say 3 to 5 years you will be always working in he "biz".
easy-lift guy[/QUOTE I agree...you will always need to be closely involved each and every day...for us at the moment, each person we hire adds about 50-60.00 per day to our net....thats about it...the more you grow the higher the costs and lower the % of net you keep...that said, i would rather make 10% on 1M than 40% on 150k....if you dont grow you wont get to the high sales numbers....just pulling these numbers as an example....if youre not growing youre dying...

Florida Gardener
05-18-2012, 09:15 AM
[QUOTE=easy-lift guy;4415513]That is a good goal to work towards. Just remember " the point of diminishing returns". Understand that regardless how many more accounts you have or employees you hirer you or anyone else will only make a certain $$$$ amount and that will be it. Your overhead will consume the balance. Unless your planning on retiring in the near future say 3 to 5 years you will be always working in he "biz".
easy-lift guy[/QUOTE I agree...you will always need to be closely involved each and every day...for us at the moment, each person we hire adds about 50-60.00 per day to our net....thats about it...the more you grow the higher the costs and lower the % of net you keep...that said, i would rather make 10% on 1M than 40% on 150k....if you dont grow you wont get to the high sales numbers....just pulling these numbers as an example....if youre not growing youre dying...

All I meant is I don't want to be running the edger and mower. I know will be involved in the day to day stuff for sure, wouldn't have it any other way
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
05-18-2012, 01:28 PM
[QUOTE=MR-G;4415591]

All I meant is I don't want to be running the edger and mower. I know will be involved in the day to day stuff for sure, wouldn't have it any other way
Posted via Mobile Device

That's what I thought too when I went back to two crews. I stll find myself going behind them and being way OCD about stuff. I still jump on stuff when I can. It's good for the guys morale to see you work too. :usflag:

jvanvliet
05-18-2012, 02:56 PM
never do yourself what you are paying others to do for you...

Florida Gardener
05-19-2012, 07:45 PM
What a difference a year makes. We have already gotten nice rains and lower temps. Last may was bone dry and much hotter.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
05-19-2012, 07:53 PM
What a difference a year makes. We have already gotten nice rains and lower temps. Last may was bone dry and much hotter.
Posted via Mobile Device

Still hot and drier here. Dust city. :usflag:

Patriot Services
05-19-2012, 07:58 PM
never do yourself what you are paying others to do for you...

Then you end up like the guy posting why 7guys, 3 crews cutting 170 lawns adds up to being in the red. I will always be active in the field operations of my company. Leading by example worked for 20 years in the military and works just as well in this business.:usflag:

RoyalTree
05-19-2012, 08:04 PM
Only you can set the tone and tempo of your company. Lead by example and know how to do everything.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
05-19-2012, 08:35 PM
Still hot and drier here. Dust city. :usflag:

I believe my area that I work in had 3 or 4 days of rain this week. Good rains too. All but one have come in the afternoon. Im sure by August it will be a dust bowl(hopefully I'm wrong).