PDA

View Full Version : A Tool

lawncare3
12-23-2002, 02:29 AM
Any one have a problem with Craftsman rakes i have broke 5 within 2 weeks is there any other brands that don't break as much and have a lifetime warranty?

Darb
12-23-2002, 02:47 AM
5 in two weeks??? Man, you are hard on those things.

lawncare3
12-23-2002, 02:50 AM
5 in two weeks??? Man, you are hard on those things.
No i'm just normal it's the cheap imported termit infected wood that is horrible!

Simone Lawn Service
12-23-2002, 02:57 AM
Quit leaning on them and get to work! (LOL):D

gogetter
12-23-2002, 03:23 AM
I got mine at Home Depot for about $17 (I think). They are the wide plastic ones with yellow handles. Ya know, I can't even remember what the handle is made of, just know it's yellow.
I have two and have had them for the last 2 seasons. No breaking yet.

Randy Scott
12-23-2002, 03:33 AM
I gave up on Craftsman tools a long time ago. Mostly hand tools for mechanical work. Everybody brags about their lifetime warranty. The problem is they would break everyday, and I really have better things to do than chase to the store to get them warrantied. So I pretty much haven't stepped foot in a Sears store in 15 years, nor do I have the desire to.
I have found Wolverine tools to be pretty durable.
Midwest rake is excellent also. With any leaf rake you really need to be a little careful. That's a large rake face delivering alot of force to a pretty thin handle. I know there are better than what you have though. I have only broke one leaf rake handle in two years. Actually those are rakes from a Fleet Farm store anyways. I don't know if you have any of those stores near you or not.

Otherwise here are the rake sites I talked about. Get some literature from them.

www.midwestrake.com

www.surelocedging.com
Wolverine is a division of SureLoc.

JeffY
12-23-2002, 03:38 AM
For a great rake, or any other large tool for that matter, use razorbacks. THey're a little more expensive, but are incredibly hard to break.

jeffex
12-23-2002, 05:59 AM
RAKE! What rake. mine has dust on it. Get a good backblower and your rake will sit.

ranger520
12-23-2002, 06:09 AM
Dude, Have you looked outside lately? You must be raking snow or blowing smoke up my a** because the leaves in my part of town are under snow or been froze down since thanksgiving. Second of all, what are you using a rake for in this day and age. You need a good blower, then you wouldn't need a rake.

scott

gogetter
12-23-2002, 06:19 AM
Can't speak for original poster, but I for one use the rakes to feed the pile to the vac hose. Or to get a pile onto a tarp to be dragged through a gate to the front yard.
But I don't "rake" the lawn, yikes!. I have blisters on my hands just thinking about it.

ranger520
12-23-2002, 07:35 AM
Dude, Have you looked outside lately? You must be raking snow or blowing smoke up my a** because the leaves in my part of town are under snow or been froze down since thanksgiving. Second of all, what are you using a rake for in this day and age. You need a good blower, then you wouldn't need a rake.

scott

Gravely_Man
12-23-2002, 10:43 AM
Rakes what are those? That is like saying electric weed eater. Just kidding I have to agree that the craftsmen brand has really gone down hill in the last 10 years.

Gravely_Man

GLS
12-23-2002, 12:50 PM
I love most of my craftsman hand tools. How can you not like the forever warranty? All you do is bring the tool into the store and they will give you another one (no reciept or warranty card needed, just the tool).

I find my craftsman rakes to be very durable. I generally only use them as a "shovel" and I havn't had one break in the two seasons i've been using them. I use the 30" poly ones with a fiberglass handle. I paid about $16 on sale. When they break, it will most likely be the head, not the handle.

Places like home depot and lowes have rakes with a lifetime warranty but you have to send it back to the manufacturer when it breaks, can't just bring it back to the store.

Just my 2 cents
Ryan

rodfather
12-23-2002, 01:31 PM
Rake? What in the world is a rake? Now I remember...rake is a 4-letter word.

Got Grass?
12-23-2002, 02:20 PM
HUH? I use rakes all the time in the spring...
The metal ones are great for leveling out mulch.

bubble boy
12-23-2002, 02:35 PM
we break 2 or 3 a year, just replace them. we're not talking about a big hit on cash flow...

Runner
12-23-2002, 03:25 PM
I use the large plastic Ames or sometimes the Union brand, but I make my own handle out of Ash. Nice and long for more leverage. For those of you who claim not to use rakes, you're missing out on something of productivity. I know that there are many times in beds and in corners of fences and such that a stroke or two of a rake is ALOT quicker than trying to fanagle a blower hose in behind and such. Same thing with tarping. I'll move a pile or row onto a tarp WAY faster with a rake than a blower. Yeah, yeah, I know. We mulch them, but we all know that there are predicaments, like on some small islands and stuff that picking up is much faster. And no, you not going to gater a bushel of leaves and move it 300 feet across a property with a backpack. How much sense would that make?

lawncare3
12-23-2002, 03:39 PM
RAKE! What rake. mine has dust on it. Get a good backblower and your rake will sit.
I have a VERY good bp blower - (stihl 420c magnum) and it's the beat investment but, I use the rakes for when the stuff is too stuck in the ground for the blower to blow!

bob
12-23-2002, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by rodfather
Rake? What in the world is a rake? Now I remember...rake is a 4-letter word.

My thoughts exactly!

Toroguy
12-23-2002, 06:12 PM
When I use a rake...the "Scotts" plastic leaf rake from the Home Depot does the trick. The threads on the pole were the only trouble I've had with that brand.

Craftsman hand tools are OK, their lawn equipment has always failed me.

SCAPEASAURUSREX
12-23-2002, 06:35 PM
I dont think I have ever broken the handle on a leaf rake ? I ve broken tons of heads, but no handles.. Plastic ones broke heads, metal ones broke heads and fell apart.. Ive tried the best ones I could find and they broke faster than the cheapos' ... I'll lookinto that midwest rake someone had posted..

HOMER
12-23-2002, 08:11 PM
I bought a couple of the wide plastic rakes from Lowes........not sure what brand.........Ames maybe. I also have a set of bypass pruners, Craftsman............they suck..........had to buy another pair to keep in the tool box and haven't had a chance to take the Sears brand back. Have a set of Lopps that never get used.....again.....CraPsman.........bought Coronas and have had no problem.

No more trips to Sears for commercial duty tools.

walker-talker
12-23-2002, 10:11 PM
I am not sure who makes them, but has anyone used those "telescoping" rakes. The prongs can be shortened to reach into small areas, then widened for open areas? I am heading to Lowes (like home depot to those that are not familar with them) to get my uncle a rake for Christmas and was just wondering about the quality of those kind of rakes.

Thanks
MATT

greenman
12-24-2002, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by lawncare3
I have a VERY good bp blower - (stihl 420c magnum) and it's the beat investment but, I use the rakes for when the stuff is too stuck in the ground for the blower to blow!

So go and buy a garden rake instead of a yard rake. You wont break one of those. They aren't good for raking leaves and such but they are great for the heavier debris.

Likestomow
12-24-2002, 01:39 AM
Buy them at ACE hardware.

They have a great lifetime satisfaction guarantee.

TaylorLawn
12-24-2002, 10:27 AM
Those wide adjustable ones are good for pinestraw, I carry walk-behind and backpack blowers, and use them almost everytime I have to "rake", but sometimes it just takes a little elbow grease to finish the job...carry several brands, sizes etc....Wide, Metal, Bamboo, plastic, adjustable, whatever works for you!!

Rob T
12-26-2002, 12:07 PM
Broke several of those large plastic leaf rakes with the "Lifetime Warrantee". The handles are fiberglass and hold up great, but the plastic head breaks easily. So I took the fiberglass handle off and attached a metal head to it. Works great, had mine for a few years now.

Roger
12-26-2002, 06:37 PM
I use Ames heavy-duty steel-tine rakes with rams-horn spring. I bought two of them about four years ago, bought two more this Fall before leaf season. I use rakes widely and often. I am astonished at the "no more rake for me, ... buy a blower" comments made here. I don't have a back-pack, only a hand blower. But, I have far too many situations where only a rake will work. I was just out last week, as well as five days after Thanksgiving .. the leaves were frozen to the turf and to each other. A blower would have been zero use! The Ames rakes I've used are from Lesco, the only place I've seen them in this area. I have never broken a handle. The outside tines on the rakes take the greatest beating, but I try to be careful when putting it down (never throw it down!).

I do alot of leaf removal work with "rake and tarp" method. I don't have time to use a blower to get the leaves on the tarp. When somebody suggests using a blower to me, my response, "...that is what the hourly workers do, we who work by the job use rakes."

Walker-talker(?); you asked about adjustable rakes. A.M. Leonard has a great tool. A friend gave me one a few years ago and it has been used often. It is no good for open space raking, or tough raking in ground cover, but it is excellent for tight spaces. It has metal tines, small diameter rods (wire-like). An adjustment on the metal handle pulls the tines together (5 inches wide at smallest adjustment), or pushes them apart (24 inches?). Also, the metal handle is collapsable, telescoping to make the entire rake only about 40 inches long, or pulled out entirely to make it a full length rake handle (like a typical plastic or steel rake). This is a great tool that is ued for cleanups, smoothing and spreading mulch in tight spaces. I have never seen this tool in any store, only in the Leonard catalog.

Sooners
12-27-2002, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by 0ryan0
I love most of my craftsman hand tools. How can you not like the forever warranty? All you do is bring the tool into the store and they will give you another one (no reciept or warranty card needed, just the tool).

I agree. Love my craftsman yard tools. I usually have real good luck when I get the most expensive craftsman tools. However, I took one of my axes back to Sears on monday because the wooden handle was split. No problem until after I made the exchange. Three security guards surrounded me in Sears and wanted to know why I was walking thru the mall with an axe. They'd been getting reports on me. I guess I looked like an axe murderer. I had to leave out the nearest exit to make everybody happy.

baddboygeorge
12-27-2002, 02:05 PM
the cheap ones work great but i upgrade to a conduit pipe for the handle an they dont break try it it works well