PDA

View Full Version : Helium for leak detection

FIMCO-MEISTER
05-18-2012, 01:05 PM
This may have been discussed before but I had American Leak Detection out for a sewer reroute. Pretty cool work with the camera and all. He had the 4,000 version that allowed the camera head to be traced for location and depth. He explained to me how he finds irrigation leaks. Pumps helium in the mainline and has a ppm measuring device that tells him when he is standing right over the spot the helium is escaping.

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
05-18-2012, 02:00 PM
This may have been discussed before but I had American Leak Detection out for a sewer reroute. Pretty cool work with the camera and all. He had the 4,000 version that allowed the camera head to be traced for location and depth. He explained to me how he finds irrigation leaks. Pumps helium in the mainline and has a ppm measuring device that tells him when he is standing right over the spot the helium is escaping.

We used them to find a leak on a 3" irrigation main. They used the helium trick and it worked awesome. The mainline on this particular site is burried at almost a 4' depth and the water was surfacing about 400' away from where the leak actually was. The site had a slight slope to it and the water was just following the mainline underground and surfacing elsewhere. After I had two guys looking for this leak for a day and a half the $400 that I paid to Americal Leak Detection was well worth it.

FIMCO-MEISTER
05-18-2012, 02:30 PM
This guy covers all Montana, n. Wyoming, west side of n. Dakota. 2 hour minimum 250.00 plus a 1.75 per mile. Showed me the stock in his van. Didn't see a shovel. Pretty cool job.

1idejim
05-18-2012, 03:18 PM

most camera heads have a trace wire or a sonde attachment peter

Ys76a4SSUuE

the helium actually needs a path to surface pete, the trace may be mislead by hardscapes so drilling sniffer holes may be required

Mike Leary
05-18-2012, 03:44 PM
I've used them, too. I'd suggested they use nitrous oxide rather than helium; so rather than talking like like Donald Duck, you'd get a good buzz. :dizzy:

FIMCO-MEISTER
05-18-2012, 04:13 PM
most camera heads have a trace wire or a sonde attachment peter

Ys76a4SSUuE

the helium actually needs a path to surface pete, the trace may be mislead by hardscapes so drilling sniffer holes may be required

His did but he says a lot of plumbers that use cameras don't spend the extra to make it traceable. He had the rigid snake seeker and let me be the key grip.

He technique with helium was to keep the psi down to around 5 and avoid flooding the area with helium. If you don't know where the leak is you don't know where to put the sniffer holes. Helium will eventually get to the top.

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
05-18-2012, 04:14 PM

That is one thing that we had to do. We knew the path of the mainline because we traced the control cable that was in the same trench. We walked the path and poked a bunch of holes in the soil with a probe and it helped them locate the leak a lot quicker. They were within 2 feet of the break. It was actually an old repair that some asshad had done long before we started working on the property.

1idejim
05-18-2012, 09:32 PM
His did but he says a lot of plumbers that use cameras don't spend the extra to make it traceable. He had the rigid snake seeker and let me be the key grip.

He technique with helium was to keep the psi down to around 5 and avoid flooding the area with helium. If you don't know where the leak is you don't know where to put the sniffer holes. Helium will eventually get to the top.

well these people whom i have dealt with have a 512Hz camera
http://www.southcoastequipment.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=115_116&products_id=501

and then for the lower price guys
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEWER-VIDEO-PIPE-DRAIN-CLEANER-INSPECTION-SNAKE-CAMERA-/320902556807?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab7486c87

it's a sales pitch pete
helium is only as accurate as its escape route, the equipment is pricey too.

if the suspected leak is under roads or hardscape you must drill holes through the surface in order to allow the helium to rise vertically

this guys not a fan
https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t40930/

as far as helium goes, i would use it if i thought it was worth the cost and trouble but i have also posted using air at 5 psi before too

Mike Leary
05-18-2012, 10:41 PM
A compressor, set low, as Jim suggested, with the water on, will find most leaks.

FIMCO-MEISTER
05-18-2012, 11:15 PM
If the suspected leak is under roads and hardscapes I doubt he would use helium at all. Always a situation one can hypothesize the failure of any tool. As for his helium tanks he had one big advantage over an air compressor. Didn't need to find power or start it up and cause a racket. Picky picky picky

1idejim
05-18-2012, 11:30 PM
If the suspected leak is under roads and hardscapes I doubt he would use helium at all. Always a situation one can hypothesize the failure of any tool. As for his helium tanks he had one big advantage over an air compressor. Didn't need to find power or start it up and cause a racket. Picky picky picky

they drill more often than you would imagine, they're there to find leaks

background noise is the reason i use silent tanks,
http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=3371644&postcount=4

CAPT Stream Rotar
05-18-2012, 11:38 PM
great info

FIMCO-MEISTER
05-19-2012, 09:27 AM
I'm sure Jim this guy knows what he is doing. Wasn't a young guy and has been doing it a long time. Had me stand next to him and showed me how he was tracking down the camera head with his locator. After he finished he drew a pretty darn good map of what the layout looked like and gave me some advice on what I should hear from a contractor who bids on replacing the sewer line. Took me to his van which was very well organized and showed me his different tools. Had his two large helium tanks set so he could open his side door and the head was right there for a connection. Showed me the gauge and explained how he hooks it up to the pipe. Frankly he was one of the most professional single person companies I have ever run into. In no way was I suggesting he made me an expert on this subject. Also passed on some great fishing info and encouraged me to try out the alpine lakes. Just a nice encounter on the long and winding road.

1idejim
05-19-2012, 12:12 PM
I'm sure Jim this guy knows what he is doing. Wasn't a young guy and has been doing it a long time. Had me stand next to him and showed me how he was tracking down the camera head with his locator. After he finished he drew a pretty darn good map of what the layout looked like and gave me some advice on what I should hear from a contractor who bids on replacing the sewer line. Took me to his van which was very well organized and showed me his different tools. Had his two large helium tanks set so he could open his side door and the head was right there for a connection. Showed me the gauge and explained how he hooks it up to the pipe. Frankly he was one of the most professional single person companies I have ever run into. In no way was I suggesting he made me an expert on this subject. Also passed on some great fishing info and encouraged me to try out the alpine lakes. Just a nice encounter on the long and winding road.

at what point did i say he didn't know what he was doing? i simply made a statement that dan even verified.