PDA

View Full Version : Gloves that last ??

GarPA
12-23-2002, 07:44 AM
Started taking inventory and refurbishing things for next season. I do allot of work with colored mulches and that stuff destroys good quality leather gloves. Once leather gets wet and stained I cant get them soft again and they are expensive.

I saw some rubber(or somethng like rubber) gloves at HD ..they are actually called 'snow gloves"...for general landwork/mulch what have you found works well and does not harden yet gives you some "feel" (not too bulky in the fingers)...thanks

GroundKprs
12-23-2002, 08:53 AM
Look for pigskin gloves. Pigskin does not harden after a wetting like leather. And they are usually cheaper than leather.

I have used pigskin for 10 years, and never had to toss a single glove for shrinking or hardening. Good thing is they wear out in a while, or the ones I wear when sweating heavily would really get rank. During Jul-Aug I usually rotate 3 pairs during the day, so I have dry ones on. I wear them all the time, and usually use 4-5 pairs a season. Get a few pairs in spring at around $6 a pair.

Usually will not find them in stores. I get mine from local W. W. Grainger outlet. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/productdetail.jsp?xi=xi&ItemId=1611778386
Also other online and mail order companies carry them.

I use rubber gloves when working with salts, lighter ones when working with chemicals. Rubber is very uncomfortable - hands can't breathe. Also lot less dexterity with rubber compared to pigskin. I still stoop for lost pennies, and can pick up a penny off the pavement with pigskin gloves on. LOL.

Gravely_Man
12-23-2002, 09:38 AM
I have never tried pigskin gloves but I will after your glowing comments. Sounds like they just might be better for any "wet" work that needs to be done. Thank you for the tip.

Gravely_Man

rodfather
12-23-2002, 12:27 PM
Gloves?

Who needs gloves?

Real men don't need gloves GarPa!!!

Get tough, wouldja? J/k and LOL. Happy Holidays to you!

GarPA
12-23-2002, 01:51 PM
Hey Rod...ya know whats funny is that the guys I work with give me grief all the time about the fact I HATE wearing gloves and rarely do....so my hands look like they're 200 years old!!!!
In fact right now the skin is cracked on a couple fingers from not wearing glvoes and working in cold/wet.
But when I do the black mulch I put the gloves on....that stuff will stain you for a week or two!!!

Thanks Grndkeeper....much appreciated...I'll order some of the piggly wigglys...good tip

Doc Pete
12-23-2002, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by rodfather
Gloves?

Who needs gloves?

Real men don't need gloves GarPa!!!

Get tough, wouldja? J/k and LOL. Happy Holidays to you!

Hey, hey... My wife loves my "Dove gentle soft" hands:D But seriously, I've been using the "mechanics gloves" series and they are great. They are 100% washable, fit very snuggly and last and last.
Pete

rodfather
12-23-2002, 05:05 PM
How much are they Pete? And where do you get them?

Doc Pete
12-23-2002, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by rodfather
How much are they Pete? And where do you get them?

Rod, Here's the link. They're from Northern tool and on sale:blob1: Look for the "synthetic leather gloves" section.
Pete

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/NTESearch?storeId=6970&catalogId=4006970&langId=-1&PHOTOS=on&KEYWORDS=mechanix+gloves&kw_fmt=mechanix+glove

imalandscper
12-23-2002, 11:14 PM
I used a couple pairs of them and they do not last for me..... I do alot of brick work though and an average pair of gloves lasts me ohhhhhh 3 days no matter the quality. that is doing brick work though....any suggestions on that? Also doing regular work they usually only last a week max.....Same as shoes until i bought a pair of catapillers. So any suggestions on gloves are greately appreciated....if you wear your boots out buy a pair of cats. there boots are like there motors..........They run forever!

Happy Holidays and LET IT SNOW!!!