PDA

View Full Version : ultimate booster pump setup

BrandonV
05-19-2012, 02:18 PM
in the planning phases for another project, only problem is this time it's city water at the top of a mountain. no pressure to be had, I don't mess with boosters much, what's the best setup yall have found?

Duekster
05-19-2012, 02:26 PM
I think you design the system to get your head pressures and flows then select a booster. You will also need a tank to keep the pump from short cycling.

Again, likely best to get some help with the selection after you have designed the system.

Wet_Boots
05-19-2012, 02:35 PM
Why not boost pressure for the entire house, with a big honking storage tank to prevent cycling?

Duekster
05-19-2012, 03:03 PM
Why not boost pressure for the entire house, with a big honking storage tank to prevent cycling?

Because that was not the question :hammerhead:

J/K :laugh:

Sprinkus
05-19-2012, 04:14 PM
Is the booster dedicated to irrigation only?

hunterpreferred
05-19-2012, 04:16 PM
The best set up we have found and used a few times is a Goulds constant pressure pump. They are very quiet, produce plenty of pressure and they will never short cycle. What you need to find out is if you have enough water coming into the house. You can only boost pressure so much.

Duekster
05-19-2012, 06:48 PM
The best set up we have found and used a few times is a Goulds constant pressure pump. They are very quiet, produce plenty of pressure and they will never short cycle. What you need to find out is if you have enough water coming into the house. You can only boost pressure so much.

True, you can not outrun the supply. Some folks will put tanks on the hill and fill those with city water then use them support peak flow.

If someone is going to include the house you should calculate constant load and intermittant flow to come up with peak flow.

Mike Leary
05-19-2012, 09:08 PM
I like on-demand boosters, here's one version: www.watergroup.com/pumps/pump-mascontrol.htm

Irrigation Contractor
05-19-2012, 09:26 PM
in the planning phases for another project, only problem is this time it's city water at the top of a mountain. no pressure to be had, I don't mess with boosters much, what's the best setup yall have found?

The Davey Torrium booster pumps are the best we have found so far.

Duekster
05-19-2012, 09:46 PM
I like on-demand boosters, here's one version: www.watergroup.com/pumps/pump-mascontrol.htm

How long does that plywood last?:rolleyes:

Mike Leary
05-19-2012, 09:57 PM
How long does that plywood last?:rolleyes:

Ho ho, smart ass, there is cedar siding around it and a removable sloped roof with shingles.

Mike Leary
05-19-2012, 10:00 PM
The Davey Torrium booster pumps are the best we have found so far.

Links are helpfull.........:confused:

Irrigation Contractor
05-19-2012, 10:54 PM
http://www.torrium.com/categories/Davey-Water-Pumps-With-Torrium-Controller/

Mike Leary
05-19-2012, 10:57 PM
http://www.torrium.com/categories/Davey-Water-Pumps-With-Torrium-Controller/

:clapping::clapping::drinkup:

BrandonV
05-20-2012, 07:21 AM
we're not concerned with the house, in most situations here in NC the irrigation has a separate meter for a couple of reason
1) don't charge sewer
2) they'll shut it off in drought
3) city gets to charge $texas$ for the meter

BrandonV
05-20-2012, 07:25 AM
thanks mike and irrigation I was thinking about either of those just wanted to see if anyone had good luck with them. I try to keep things Leary certified incase he ever gets to the right coast and tries to inspect me.

Duekster
05-20-2012, 09:05 AM
Ho ho, smart ass, there is cedar siding around it and a removable sloped roof with shingles.

:laugh: Sorry.

Mike Leary
05-20-2012, 10:25 PM
thanks mike and irrigation I was thinking about either of those just wanted to see if anyone had good luck with them. I try to keep things Leary certified incase he ever gets to the right coast and tries to inspect me.

You are one of a few on the forum that I would trust to take care of business ; no inspection required, I'll sign-off on any of your jobs. :clapping:

Irrigation Contractor
05-22-2012, 09:00 PM

The Davey Torrium pump is the ONE and ONLY pump that I have had a ZERO failure rate.

So the price is very justified in my opinion and before this pump I hated installing them. 30% of the old pump installed in the end would cost us money due to call backs, failures and "User Stupidity"!!!!

Mike Leary
05-22-2012, 09:30 PM
The Davey system looks nice, I'd not heard of it. Bottom line, if one of those pricey little dears fail, some heads are going to roll before I go whining to the client. :dizzy: The Pentair/Berkely on-demand system has worked well for us, also. It's a crummy website, but a quality product, so I won't link.

Irrigation Contractor
05-23-2012, 09:48 PM
The Davey system looks nice, I'd not heard of it. Bottom line, if one of those pricey little dears fail, some heads are going to roll before I go whining to the client. :dizzy: The Pentair/Berkely on-demand system has worked well for us, also. It's a crummy website, but a quality product, so I won't link.

They are pricey, but not really that much more when you take out the pump start, wiring and extra labor for the install. I have had so many failures with other setups, I felt the need to search for a better pump.

Everyone loves these pumps including the homeowners who get a very thorough orientation when these are installed. The Davey has some fantastic safety features (that actually work) and even one of my stubborn landscapers that just has to leave his pool auto-fill on all the time not be able to F&^% one of these up.:hammerhead::hammerhead: