PDA

View Full Version : never too young to learn safe

1idejim
05-19-2012, 08:27 PM
last year i took one of my grandsons on a swimming pool light replacement/leak repair. combination dive/electrical/leak detection job.

his job was to feed the cord in and out of the conduit while i was removing and replacing the light and handing me tools for the leak repair.

anytime that i have the opportunity to have one of the boys helping me i use the time to teach them safety and to help instill a work ethic, there is also plenty of time to make work a fun thing.

i taught each of the boys to scuba dive when they turned 5, prolly have 20 -25 in pool dives ea. i plan on open water at 16.

today i was was installing some lights and fans at my daughters house and i went through the power on/power off testing and my middle grandson butted in when i was in the voltage on testing and said to his brothers "black is common or ground and goes on first, comes off last and always test power with one hand in your pocket" he remembered that from a year ago, he's just 10.

same kid can locate a valve better than most of the guys i know. i may be grooming some locating monsters :)

Wet_Boots
05-19-2012, 08:53 PM
gLm5Sn1cMyQ

Sprinkus
05-19-2012, 10:54 PM
black is common or ground?

In addition there are some things that don't mix well.
Like a live open electrical panel and a large dog that sneaks up behind you and barks when you are assisting the electrician in closing it up.

1idejim
05-19-2012, 11:25 PM
sorry sprinkus, xaviar was talking about the DMM. we were testing potential differences. the first connection is black. black connects to commons or grounds first and is removed last.

hot to common was 122.8vac, hot to ground was 122.8vac, common to ground was 17.2vac. gonna have to find that.

Sprinkus
05-19-2012, 11:34 PM
OK, I figured I was misunderstanding!
Way to go with the young'uns! :clapping:

1idejim
05-20-2012, 09:51 PM
Well we are getting closer to solving the 17+vac difference of potential. the snap shot has been almost spot on with the fault measurements. sorry no pics but my pseudo step son graduated from the fire academy friday and his mom has my camera. the biggest problem i am having now is while grunting and pulling in the attic i somehow popped my glass eye out and cant find it. up to this point the only thing i can't find with my pro 800 and a tdr has been my coffee cup.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sprinkus
05-20-2012, 10:27 PM
I'll say a prayer to St. Anthony (http://www.luckymojo.com/saintanthony.html) that you can find it.

Mike Leary
05-20-2012, 10:46 PM
I'll say a prayer to St. Anthony (http://www.luckymojo.com/saintanthony.html) that you can find it.

I'd never heard of him, thanks. As you might imagine, Saint Christopher is my guide. :)

stebs
05-21-2012, 02:04 AM
One thing i learned while my dad was taking a class on home inspections, is that when approaching an electrical panel, touch it with the back of your hand first before grabbing for the latch to open it.

The neighbors several years back had an electrician come in to add some outlets for his home office. The electrician went to pull the panel cover off, and everytime he'd go to turn a screw, we'd hear this really loud pop. he came in and said he was going to have to pull the meter. Once he got the meter pulled, he pulled the cover off to discover the last person in the panel had used the wrong screws to put the cover back on and drove at least one right into one of the main feeder lines coming into the panel. he figured if that person had put another quarter turn on that screw, it would've burnt the house down.

Oh, another thing, when helping someone with a panel, dont stand right next to them. When they go to turn on a high amperage breaker (30amp plus) I always turn my head away in case of arc flash. If I'm turning on something for the first time that has a potential for arc flash such as a contactor or motor starter, i either make everyone else leave the room or turn their heads away. Same goes when putting an ampclamp on a wire in a panel that i've never been in, have everyone turn away if more than 20 amps.

1idejim
05-22-2012, 07:50 PM
FOUND IT. RECORD STILL STANDS
Posted via Mobile Device