PDA

View Full Version : Good fert for Bermuda lawn?

williams lcm
05-20-2012, 10:37 AM
What is the best fertilizer for bermuda grass? Thanks

Duekster
05-20-2012, 10:43 AM
What is the best fertilizer for bermuda grass? Thanks

Slow release. No one can tell you exactly without a soil test.

Landscape Poet
05-20-2012, 03:37 PM
I would agree with the slow release but would also add frequent smaller feedings as I believe that Bermuda responds favorably to having the food source available consistently.

David N
05-20-2012, 04:42 PM
34-0-0 works pretty good.

Patriot Services
05-20-2012, 04:49 PM
34-0-0 works pretty good.

At 1/2lb per k. Unless you like mowing 3 times week. :usflag:

Florida Gardener
05-20-2012, 05:10 PM

who doesnt?

Duekster
05-20-2012, 05:44 PM
Why not 46-0-0 ? :D

David N
05-20-2012, 07:01 PM

Does it make it grow that fast?

Duekster
05-20-2012, 07:06 PM

Depends on how much you put on it, could kill it.

Patriot Services
05-20-2012, 07:16 PM

Heck yes, with this heat, add overwatering and too much N. All it does is make excess top growth. :usflag:

David N
05-20-2012, 07:47 PM
Heck yes, with this heat, add overwatering and too much N. All it does is make excess top growth. :usflag:

Oh ok. I'm here to learn. And yeah I know that too much will hurt it.

So what is a good fertilizer for bermuda?

Patriot Services
05-20-2012, 08:49 PM
My personal yard is 4 seperate zones with 4 different grass varieties growing. I've always liked Milorganite for Bermuda. At bag rate its easy to feed just enough for healthy growth. It also has some iron for great color. I do a monthly app May to September.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
05-20-2012, 09:06 PM
My personal yard is 4 seperate zones with 4 different grass varieties growing. I've always liked Milorganite for Bermuda. At bag rate its easy to feed just enough for healthy growth. It also has some iron for great color. I do a monthly app May to September.
Posted via Mobile Device

im an advocate for lower amounts of N and extra minors for turf. During the growing season, we get enough vertical growth, I don't need to add another couple inches on top of that. Color is the most important. Milorgonite is great, but for smaller lawns. I have a 22-K sq ft. lawn that would take a little over 7 bags of MG. Slow-release all the way.....i even use palm/ornamental ferts on small lawns....

Patriot Services
05-20-2012, 09:15 PM
Well pardon me Mr. Acreage. Had to go stepping in my poop talk. I have maybe 7k of turf total. The Bermuda part is about 2k.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
05-20-2012, 09:19 PM
Well pardon me Mr. Acreage. Had to go stepping in my poop talk. I have maybe 7k of turf total. The Bermuda part is about 2k.
Posted via Mobile Device

i didnt mean it like that....its my biggest lawn. Just making a point that if you have 10-K+, you will use a lot more bags of MG versus other ferts....

Landscape Poet
05-20-2012, 10:16 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Is your lawn secretly the testing plot of NTEP? Interesting layout I would say for sure, I guess that is one way to know a little about the major turf types that we have down here.

cgaengineer
05-20-2012, 10:41 PM
I would agree with the slow release but would also add frequent smaller feedings as I believe that Bermuda responds favorably to having the food source available consistently.

This is the correct answer. Spoon feed that Bermuda 34-0-0 SRN with iron. Your Bermuda will be happy.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
05-20-2012, 10:47 PM
Milorganite...a way to pay people to take other peoples poop.

If it smells like poop it must be poop.

Actually I have used it...may try it again this season...but since I always grab try to use open bags of lesco from the shop I don't know if I'm willing to pay for it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
05-21-2012, 11:13 AM
Is your lawn secretly the testing plot of NTEP? Interesting layout I would say for sure, I guess that is one way to know a little about the major turf types that we have down here.

Just for my amusement. They are seperated by large planting beds. SA to match ones neighbors. Bermuda in front, neighbor has rock garden on other side of hedge. Backyard heavily shaded rye blend. Other side is Empire Zoysia outcompeting stupid neighbor that put it Bahia 2 years ago and wondered why it died in the shade.
Posted via Mobile Device

bugsNbows
05-21-2012, 04:06 PM
Additional points to ponder:
1). The OP never stated (that I saw) if he was referring to common bermuda or one of the hybridized varieties. Big difference there.
2). Organics (like Milorganite) are fine if used in the warmer months. The N sources have to be "worked on" (converted) by soil microorganisms which are most active when soil temps are high. Unfortunately, many organics are low analysis so you have to tote and use more per area.
3) Too much N is not particularly desirable. I like the spoon feeding analogy. Also, minors including Fe and Mg are critical for "greening". Ever see the chlorophyll molecule?

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Ric
05-21-2012, 04:40 PM
Additional points to ponder:
1). The OP never stated (that I saw) if he was referring to common bermuda or one of the hybridized varieties. Big difference there.
2). Organics (like Milorganite) are fine if used in the warmer months. The N sources have to be "worked on" (converted) by soil microorganisms which are most active when soil temps are high. Unfortunately, many organics are low analysis so you have to tote and use more per area.
3) Too much N is not particularly desirable. I like the spoon feeding analogy. Also, minors including Fe and Mg are critical for "greening". Ever see the chlorophyll molecule?

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Bermuda Grass has the widest range of uses than any turf. It covers any thing from Right of Way to football fields and golf courses etc.

What I used on Sandy soil and what someone uses on clay soil should be totally different. There are TOOO many soils types and Culivars of Bermuda to answer this question without a lot more information.

Duekster
05-21-2012, 07:36 PM
Bermuda Grass has the widest range of uses than any turf. It covers any thing from Right of Way to football fields and golf courses etc.

What I used on Sandy soil and what someone uses on clay soil should be totally different. There are TOOO many soils types and Culivars of Bermuda to answer this question without a lot more information.

The only place it does not grow is where you want it. :laugh:

bug-guy
05-26-2012, 10:37 AM
i agree the question is alittle general, that being said here's what i would do

look for a quality complete fert(a number value in all 3 slots ie 12-2-14), some areas prohibit the middle from 2 to zero without a soil test, and also that the N contain X ammount of slow release and none during certian time of the year(blackouts).

also try to get the pot ash(last #) with more or some SOP over MOP( less chlorine).
remember that the first # will give you the sq ft like 18-0-18 will do 9000 sq ft per bag at 1 lb of N per 1000 sq ft. so if you do it over like 11000 sq ft your closer to 3/4 lb of N per 1000 (this rule does not apply to combo products as they are calibrated by the active ingredient such as preemergence or insecticide).

i would do(in my area)
a combo with deminsion in late feb, oct
fert in april, june,aug